PDA

View Full Version : help, dead router

Livy
04-26-2005, 09:31 PM
i tried to do a firmware update on my router and its not conecting now

its a netgear wgt624 the power light comes on, then slowy changes between green and orange, and i cant ping it. is there anything i can do,

lynx
04-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Did you get the right version (v1 firmware will screw up a v2 router and vice-versa).

Does it have a pinhole in the back, usually for reset to factory defaults, or something like that? It may help.

If not, you are probably going to be looking for a bin. :(

Virtualbody1234
04-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Warranty?

Livy
04-27-2005, 06:46 PM
yeah, mines a v2, i updated it through the router, it has a page on the web config to check for a new version and update to it.

just been on phone to the tech support for 41 minutes!!!!! getting it replaced, waiting on an email with prepaid label to send it back.
luckily i used http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php to get there landline number. or it would have cost a fortune.

edit: also tried resetting it as you say lynx, hold it in for about 10 seconds. didnt work, also tried a recovery tool for another netgear router, but that didnt work either.

3RA1N1AC
04-27-2005, 07:18 PM
yeh there really is not a lot to a personal router. i mean they're not very complex at all. if it can't be fixed by pressing the reset button, disconnecting it from the power for a while, or updating the firmware... then it prolly needs to be replaced.

Livy
04-27-2005, 09:02 PM
i was thinking about replacing it with a linux box, with printer attached and network storage, may look into it.
as all that we have is wireless laptops.

Sonict
04-28-2005, 05:39 PM
I really hope you didn't update the firmware using a wireless connection. If you did, that is why it doesn't work. In my manual for my D-Link router, it says to use a Hard Wired connection when you update the firmware because something could go wrong when doing it over a wireless connection.