PDA

View Full Version : I need a router

Duffman
04-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Its time i can't take this anymore, usb modem crossover cables configureing dns servers it drove me nuts. I need the simple solution a router, 4 ports minimum as cheap as possible.

I have this old smc router my friend gave me without the ac adapter, and i blew a cap trying to solder the right head on an ac adapter, and it just won't work anymore, but that one had a printer port and thats cool. So if anyone can reccomend an inexpensive router, wired, printer port would be cool, id love you forever.

Samurai
04-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Highly recommend the Linksys WAG54G.

I'm never touching a Netgear ever again, and if I can help it, any hardware I'm in need of in the future will be Linksys. Quality products.

Duffman
04-27-2005, 12:47 AM
I need a wired one.

Peerzy
04-27-2005, 12:57 AM
The router he said was Wireless & wired.

Samurai
04-27-2005, 01:05 AM
The router he said was Wireless & wired.

Thanks Peerzy ;)

Duffman3 - I'm using it as we speak :cool:

S!X
04-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Wanna buy mine? Ive got a Netgear, I dont use it cuz it fucks up my internet. Its brand new.

Formula1
04-27-2005, 01:26 AM
I'd recommend against linksys, they only offer one year warranty. After a year of me using the befw11s4, it got defective after a year. I'd recommend netgear (3 year warranty) router over it! Check newegg.com, it got better reviews!

S!X
04-27-2005, 01:32 AM
It would be nice if i could get mine to work properly, It blocks off all my msn sends, bit torrent downloads ect I have no idea why eaither.. Ive forwarded all the ports that those apps use :blink:

Duffman
04-27-2005, 01:36 AM
ive got 6 80 in my checking account will you do it for that.

Formula1
04-27-2005, 01:42 AM
It would be nice if i could get mine to work properly, It blocks off all my msn sends, bit torrent downloads ect I have no idea why eaither.. Ive forwarded all the ports that those apps use :blink:

what model do you have ? I have the MR814NA...

S!X
04-27-2005, 01:55 AM
what model do you have ? I have the MR814NA...

I dont know. I have a migrain right now so I dont feel like looking. :pinch:

Samurai
04-27-2005, 01:57 AM
The reason why people have trouble with their Netgear models is because of the built-in connection limit... It's set to 15. You need to get yourself beta firmware which you can search for and download. Apparently they fixed the problem after almost 2 years of people complaining. This is the reason I sold mine on eBay.

Formula1 - Linksys are one of the best brands money can buy. As part of Cisco they're releasing excellent products and are VERY quick to release new firmware.

As for the 1 year warrenty, I haven't really checked this but generally a 1 year warrant is pretty standard on most hardware these days and have yet to see a modem with a 3 year warranty... As I stated above, I'm staying away from Netgear for their disgusting customer support and bad programming.

S!X
04-27-2005, 01:59 AM
So samurai i can fix this shite problem with beta firmware?! :w00t: :ermm:

Samurai
04-27-2005, 02:03 AM
So samurai i can fix this shite problem with beta firmware?! :w00t: :ermm:

Sure can :)

Unfortunately they took forever to release it when I had my DG632, and I ended up selling it for far less than I had paid for it. The beta firmware was "released" 2 days after I sold it :dry:

I'll look for their link but I believe it's now hosted on Netgear's site, so check it out. What model are you using?

S!X
04-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Sure can :)

Unfortunately they took forever to release it when I had my DG632, and I ended up selling it for far less than I had paid for it. The beta firmware was "released" 2 days after I sold it :dry:

I'll look for their link but I believe it's now hosted on Netgear's site, so check it out. What model are you using?

Alright hold hold ill Run upstairs and get the box :D

Samurai
04-27-2005, 02:06 AM
Anyone who is thinking about purchasing a NETGEAR POS MODEM should check out these threads from their forums. I am of course... Samurai ;)

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=260&highlight=

http://forum1.netgear.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=331&highlight=

S!X
04-27-2005, 02:06 AM
OK, Its the "RP614 v2" (Corded)

EDIT: I got the beta firemware and i can send songs and whatnot over msn but its a little slow. I think its because I gotta port forward but ill take care of that, Back to the topic, sorry for the hijack. ;)

fkdup74
04-27-2005, 03:56 AM
Belkin gives a lifetime warranty on their routers :happy:
using one atm, was easy to setup, pretty reliable
and was only 40 bucks compared to 80 or 90 for a Linksys :P

has DHCP, NAT, etc etc blah blah blah
have to reset every once in a while, but that could be my ISP f00kin about with the lines :unsure:

Duffman
04-27-2005, 04:27 AM
woah, thanks man, i thought this thread was doomed to the *cough* hijakers *cough* but someone actually stayed on topic *evil stare*

S!X
04-27-2005, 04:35 AM
woah, thanks man, i thought this thread was doomed to the *cough* hijakers *cough* but someone actually stayed on topic *evil stare*

Dont worry :rolleyes: :lookaroun :ph34r:

I should try and get rid of my router cuz its not working out for me properly. :frusty:

Formula1
04-27-2005, 10:41 AM
The reason why people have trouble with their Netgear models is because of the built-in connection limit... It's set to 15. You need to get yourself beta firmware which you can search for and download. Apparently they fixed the problem after almost 2 years of people complaining. This is the reason I sold mine on eBay.

Formula1 - Linksys are one of the best brands money can buy. As part of Cisco they're releasing excellent products and are VERY quick to release new firmware.

As for the 1 year warrenty, I haven't really checked this but generally a 1 year warrant is pretty standard on most hardware these days and have yet to see a modem with a 3 year warranty... As I stated above, I'm staying away from Netgear for their disgusting customer support and bad programming.

Linksys also has terribble support, over here in the us, once you call linksys' techsupport, it leads to india or indonesia....

Samurai
04-27-2005, 04:49 PM
like most companies then :lol: i think if india got wiped out by pakistan, the uk would lose 90% of our customer services :D

redtiger
05-22-2005, 12:25 PM
I recommend Zyxel routers, for example Prestige 334, which is able to handle 2048 concurrent connections. This is very important for file sharing...