PDA

View Full Version : CD-Rom gone bonkers!

sArA
04-27-2005, 07:49 PM
My bf's CD-Rom drive has started behaving in a very odd fashion since a reformat and install of winxp pro.

Everything else is fine, but the drive keeps popping in and out randomly. Its really quite disconcerting :D

If you actually use it, it works fine. Its as if its saying 'please use me....oh go on, pretty please' type thing.

Very very strange....do you think it might be a driver problem?

Samurai
04-27-2005, 08:19 PM
It's either a driver problem or something else. Depending on how old the drive is, it may be on it's last legs.

Also check your system with an AV and Spyware Tools. Trojan's can have the ability to do these things if someone has access to your computer.

sArA
04-27-2005, 08:25 PM
It's either a driver problem or something else. Depending on how old the drive is, it may be on it's last legs.

Also check your system with an AV and Spyware Tools. Trojan's can have the ability to do these things if someone has access to your computer.

Could be all of the above! :lol:

I don't think its spyware, virus though...they are all upto date.

Going to try drivers....

Its about 5 years old sooooooo you are telling me that it could be getting a little senile?

Snee
04-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Has he got a keyboard with a quick button for ejecting the cd-rom tray?

I had a mouse with a bunch of preprogrammed buttons for different functions, and I sort of short-circuited that mouse, after that, it would sometimes press buttons all on it own.

I know there are keyboards with eject buttons (though it seems pretty daft to me).

If he's screwed that up somehow you might be looking in the wrong direction.

Bit of a long-shot though.

sArA
04-27-2005, 08:34 PM
I don't think thats the case, he has a standard keyboard.....(checks the date...phew not April 1st)

I will check though, but I do have a feeling its a driver/knackered problem....sometimes it teases by popping out a little bit and then back in again a few times...... :lol: :lol:

Hey SnnY.....how's things? Not seen you on SS for a while.

Snee
04-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Yeah it prolly is a driver, but it'd be pretty silly if it was the keyboard, so I thought I'd get that in now, and save you some work if it was something as nuts as that.

My connection's been dodgy so slsk hasn't been working well.
Otherwise I'm all right, though uni's been keeping me really busy lately.

lynx
04-27-2005, 09:15 PM
I've seen a drive do that before, it had been "spiked" by a power surge. Not long later it failed completely and the system wouldn't POST with that drive connected.

sArA
04-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Aha!!! The very same power surge that blew the monitor maybe????

(forgot to mention that :blushing: )

Hmmmmm.........this is all starting to make sense methinks....; :lookaroun

Chewie
04-29-2005, 03:55 AM
How could anyone consider this to be a driver problem? LOL

Snee
04-29-2005, 10:33 AM
How could anyone consider this to be a driver problem? LOL
It is possible.

Sounds weird but I've seen very odd software related things, in the case of the mouse I mentioned above, the problem was removed (temporarily) by reinstalling the drivers for it.

Dodgy drivers can cause random input or static in input related devices.

Nothing strange with that :blink: :unsure:

And since the eject function can be controlled by software it's plausible.