PDA

View Full Version : thermal pad vs thermal paste....

fkdup74
04-27-2005, 11:05 PM
having a discussion in soulseek....
help teh cause :D

thermal pad vs thermal paste for CPUs
pros & cons, which is better, etc.

plz & TY :)

clocker
04-28-2005, 01:24 AM
While I'm sure it's possible to develop a high quality thermal pad, I have yet to see it.
Thermal paste is where the good stuff ends up.

Paste>pads.

Storm
04-28-2005, 02:12 AM
paste is better as a cooler......... pads are cheaper.........

paste will get you a couple of degrees improvement........

pads are easier to apply (just stick em on), while paste can be quite a hassle to get it in a thin layer (in my experience)

Formula1
04-28-2005, 02:15 AM
I think thermal paste works alot better than thermal pad. It ensures better/more contact between the hsf and the cpu. My original atlhon with the stock hsf had higher temps, compared to the one i have now.

bigdawgfoxx
04-28-2005, 02:40 AM
I always use paste

GepperRankins
04-28-2005, 02:42 AM
pate fills our gOP SO YOU GET UBER COAVER AGE. BICANT IMAGINBR THAT EFFUACIANCY FROM ASLOIC :BKINL@

clocker
04-28-2005, 03:42 AM
Definitely.

zapjb
04-28-2005, 03:59 AM
Pads never have to be reapplied. Paste, I've heard it's recommended to reapply every so often.

GepperRankins
04-28-2005, 10:08 AM
i meant paste fills out so you get coverage, therefore, i imagine it's more efficiant

fkdup74
04-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Pads never have to be reapplied. Paste, I've heard it's recommended to reapply every so often.never? never ever?
ok, back to the point I raised with jonno in slsk,
after he tried pullin this number on me:
[studly] other puter same spec as mine with good pad runs at 28c
[fkdup74] i doubt that seriously

my question.....if pads were so great, and I doubt they are,
(I tend to lean clocker's way on this, as he/she works in a shop,
and no doubtedly sees more of this in a week than most of us do in a year)
how would paste even find a place on shops' shelves?
it just wouldn't sell, at all, except maybe for system testing

and, you cant re-use a pad, that's bad practice
where as if you have a tube of paste,
you uncap the tube, re-apply a layer of paste, done :)
don't have to be a 10-15 dollar tube of AS5
can be a 3-5 dollar tube of the ole silicone paste
(in fact I havent really found AS5 to be that great)

Jon L. Obscene
04-29-2005, 10:11 AM
I answered that the other night Brain :rolleyes:

It has a place in the market for test purposes, like tire weld, car body filler etc, for temp repairs.

I found out about this from a few technicians and google and a couple of tutorial vids, if you google it you'll actually see it's split down the middle, so imho I think it's just preference.
But to help back up what I say.......

Application of the predominantly pre-assembled pads is quite simple to figure out: remove the protective film, assemble cooler, turn on your PC, and that's it. The downsides of the pads are that they can only be used once, and when upgrading your processor, cleaning the contact surface is not all that easy.

For this reason, those who regularly change the CPU should opt for thermal paste instead of a pad.

Source (http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030113/cooler5-02.html)

"Use a thermal pad for long-term production installations..."
"...Thermal grease is only recommended for development, test and validation purposes. In a production evironment, thermal grease may disperse over time, leaving no interface material between the heatsink and processor. Only use thermal grease when the heatsink needs to be replaced multiple times over a short period."

Video answering the argument "Pad vs Paste" (http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/section5-high.wmv)

Source (http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:PuhVaEHJR-wJ:reviews.cnet.com/5208-7591-0.html%3FforumID%3D26%26threadID%3D64247%26messageID%3D762965+thermal+pad+or+paste&hl=en&client=firefox-a)

Hope that helps answer your question Brain :D

Jonno :cool:

zapjb
04-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Well said Jonno.

lynx
04-29-2005, 11:45 AM
thermal grease may disperse over timeThis is absolute bullshit.

Q. Where's the thermal grease.
A. Oh, I think some of it nipped round the back for a cigarette, and I saw a couple of bits heading down towards the pub.

Thermal grease does NOT have legs.

Notice that the AMD video clip is for a production environment.

The reason for recommending thermal pads is that they give consistent results, but not necessarily the best results. In a high speed production environment not enough care would be taken in applying thermal grease. Sticking a pad on the heatsink is much easier and quicker.

Jon L. Obscene
04-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Just a question:

All you guys who say paste, have you actually had better results from paste than proper high quality aproved pads?
I don't mean 1C, I mean real results?

I not used paste but my mate did, well the manufacturer he bought puter from did, after 7 months he started shutting down thru over heating, the tech guy came out, put on a pad and he's been fine since :)

Anyway, my new mobo etc is here, so we shall see :)

Snee
04-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Jonno, read through that entire thread you put there as a source, it seems that most people on there agree on the fact that thermal paste is better, and someone also mentions that the stuff referred to at first probably isn't the same kind of thermal paste we use, but rather a different kind of stuff. Which supposedly is intended for testing purposes only, and thus made to be easy to clean off, but not intended to last very long.

I've found that arctic silver or something similar is much better than the pads I've come into contact with in the past.

We're talking a five degree difference, or even more.

lynx
04-29-2005, 02:26 PM
I've heard that the Shin-Etsu pads (which AMD were showing) are pretty good, maybe as good as AS3 (but that's a bit dated now). But just as with different pastes, not all the pads out there are going to be as good as Shin-Etsu.

What the cpu and heatsink manufacturers want is for the end user to get reproducible results. If there's any doubt that they know how to apply thermal grease/paste they aren't going to recommend it. I can't see that as an excuse to come out with outright lies though.

Jon L. Obscene
04-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Well ironically, Ebuyer in their infinite wisdom did'nt send the pads I ordered.
Luckily I got a tube of paste with my new heat sink :ffs:

Am now having a stressful time :frusty:

fkdup74
04-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Well ironically, Ebuyer in their infinite wisdom did'nt send the pads I ordered.

e-mail em a "thank you" letter....they just did you a favor :P

Jon L. Obscene
04-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Well, new board and heat sink on, curently running at 32C :01:
With fan on medium setting :D

Coooooooooooooooool :D

Yes with paste, also.....the heatsink I took off, the pad was 99% gone , so there was direct contact between sink and cpu. This is possibly cos the pads were bought in an emergency and they were really cheap shitty ones with no name :rolleyes:

Anyway, will see how it goes :)

clocker
04-29-2005, 10:24 PM
.....the heatsink I took off, the pad was 99% gone , so there was direct contact between sink and cpu.

Which is exactly what you want your TIM to do.
The pad/paste is only supposed to fill in the voids between the two surfaces, not necessarily coat the entire interface.

vegeta
04-30-2005, 06:38 AM
man i have never used such thing on my processor,is it safe???and people still use it :P

Jon L. Obscene
04-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Use copydex, or p38, they should work the same :tough:

Actually, I might try that :shifty: