PDA

View Full Version : Symantec Client Security

Catracho
04-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Hello everyone!
I am having a little problem with the setup installation of SCS. I downloaded the file off of eMule through the verified links provided in this wonderful site :-P. Now I had installed Norton Internet Security Profesional 2004 but i wanted to try the new SCS. I was asked to uninstall a previos firewall (which i did). I restarted my pc then went back to setup. While it's getting started i get a messege saying "MSI must be launched through setup" what am i doing wrong?

Any idea on how to overcome this? Thanks in advace!

peat moss
04-30-2005, 07:08 AM
Whats msi ? Mabye disconnect from the internet till you get it sorted . Uninstall old firewall thru add remove , then install the new one. Msi is a mobo weird eh ?

Catracho
04-30-2005, 07:25 AM
Whats msi ? Mabye disconnect from the internet till you get it sorted . Uninstall old firewall thru add remove , then install the new one. Msi is a mobo weird eh ?

MSI is the Microsoft Instal Wizard. I have found a way to fix this littel glitch...I tell ya that google guy is great :-P. Thanks anyways

Virtualbody1234
04-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Right. Maybe you could mention what solved the problem?

In any case... You should also remove the AntiVirus 2004 which is part of Internet Security 2004. Not just the Firewall.

And as for the setup... Just reinsert the CD. It has an Autorun.

zapjb
04-30-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm left to guess. Fn post the solution, jeez. Windows Install Clean Up, is what helped me clear up an .msi problem.

Snee
04-30-2005, 12:04 PM
MSI is the Microsoft Instal Wizard. I have found a way to fix this littel glitch...I tell ya that google guy is great :-P. Thanks anyways
.msi-something is, if I'm not mistaken, a file format used by symantech security products (like Norton).

[EDit: Had a look around too, and in this case it was to do with the windows installer, according to many.]

They use it instead of .exe:s or something, so in this case I think it was trying to start up the firewall anyway, but couldn't.

Norton has a tendency to dig in, so take a look at your startup entries, see if it's still there, and next time, try unloading the scanner and firewall entirely before uninstalling.

Also, load up your task manager after you've uninstalled everything (through add/remove programs, like someone said), and see if there are still norton-related processes running, if so, you may need to delete something from the registry and remove stuff by hand.

You need to do all of this before installing the symantech client security thing, since it's going to use the same kind of processes.

EDitII: Symantech does use .instmsi files, for installations, .nsi-files, in norton, instead of shortcuts (I think), and .msi-files (instead of .exe, I think, again).

I found 'em in the symantech corp installer, and in the start menu-folder for norton, on someone else's computer right now.

But in this case it's the MS installer apparently.

Bit confusing though.

lynx
04-30-2005, 12:15 PM
MSI - MicroSoft Installer, now known as Windows Installer.

If you know how to do it, you can often uninstall software by directly manipulating the msi scripts. But for Symantec Client Security the scripts are written in such a way that IT DOESN'T WORK. You can even get to the situation where parts of your system are locked out because half of the software is still working, and you've uninstalled the configuration parts.

If you want to uninstall any of the Symantec products and your installation is corrupt, the only way to do it is to reinstall first.

Snee
04-30-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm glad this came up, 'cos I'm going to have to uninstall norton from someone else's machine soon, and like I edited in above, it is a tad confusing.

RPerry
04-30-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm glad this came up, 'cos I'm going to have to uninstall norton from someone else's machine soon, and like I edited in above, it is a tad confusing.

Symantec also has cleaner tools to remove stubborn leftovers as well, I had to do this back when I tried to install 2003 0ver 2002. Now I only mess with mine after a re-format :shifty:

Izagaia
04-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Why not just go through the extra efforts of actually un-installing the entire suite (NIS2004) through whichever method you choose (add/remove programs applet or installation CD) then running an application such as RegSeeker to remove registry and other various entries/strings you nolonger need? After which, cleaning out your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec and related systems folders in Documents and Settings would also be of great help. Lastly- running a cleaner application such as CCleaner to clear out any residule unwanted files is certain to ensure that SCS v3.0 will install effortlessly.

Of course, not that I have done this already myself. :whistling Personally, IMO, if you are going to undertake such a step with any high-end Symantec product, do it right. :)

peat moss
04-30-2005, 05:15 PM
@Izagaia, good one . I go as far as removing liveupdate and livereg aswell. Wish I would of followed my own advice , I'm getting lazy.. I installed the new Antivirus 10.0.0.359 over my old one now getting errors at shut down. Oh well easy fix, but time consuming . :frusty:

Izagaia
04-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Since my last reformat in mid 2004, I have had NIS and NSW2005 installed. Then I had decided to switch back to Symantec Client Security v2.0.3 and then finally switching to SCS v3.0. In each instance, I did the above steps I described. As a result, I have had no errors of any sort. Thank goodness. It is a pain in the arse and time-consuming, I agree however, I have always known Symantec to never have an "easy uninstall" for any of it's products. It just sort of "goes with the territory" for them. Just one of things one has to put up with if you want to utilize their applications.

At any rate, my only gripe with SCS v3.0 (if you do not mind me changing the subject here alittle) is that the client firewall, like it's Norton 2005 brand retail consumer version, has the port for "IMCP ping" open by default. At least this port is listed that way according to Symantec's security response center when you use their system to scan yours for vulnerabilities. I was always under the impression that having all your ports "stealthed" is the best practice. Now I see that Symantec has somewhat changed this rule for NPF2005, NIS2005 and the new Client Firewall v8.6.0.8.

How can I change this in the firewall's settings to stealth this port? Or is this port relatively safe to keep open as per the client firewall's default settings? Actually I do not know what to make of this change or what it means. Hopefully I am just being overly cautious in dealing with this open port.

AndrewBarker
04-30-2005, 09:59 PM
All ports are stealthed, whether they are in use or not.

If you visit a security testing website you will see.

for example "shields Up"
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

AndrewBarker
04-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Quote from "Shields Up"

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice. :D

Izagaia
05-01-2005, 01:17 AM
All ports are stealthed, whether they are in use or not.

If you visit a security testing website you will see.

for example "shields Up"
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I did see and unfortunately "Shields Up" states the exact same results as did Symantec's Security Response has...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2005-05-01 at 01:03:21

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
26 Ports Stealth
---------------------
26 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

How can I correct this inconvenience? :frusty: