PDA

View Full Version : I hate Best Buy. Don't ever do business with them.

Rip The Jacker
05-01-2005, 07:18 AM
I went to Best Buy today and bought an MP3 player. It was a Samsung 1GB MP3 player, model number YP-MT6Z. I bought the MP3 brand-new, and took it home only to open it and find out that the screen was scratched! :angry:

Yeah, a brand new MP3 player I just opened, and the screen was scratched, I mean REALLY scratched. The MP3 player's screen is TINY, and now that it's scratched it's impossible to read anything. I live far away from the store, so I decided to call before going. Man I wish I had checked at the store.

They said that they would charge me a 15% restocking fee for a refund/exchange, even though they sold me a scratched up MP3 player! The damn thing is used/refurbed for all I know. Now I would have to cough up another $30 fee, or go through the hassle of calling Samsung.

Is this what Best Buy does? Sells crappy products that have probibly been dropped a thousand times by their employees while stocking, and then wants more money from their customers for exchanges? Gah, this is the last time I ever buy something from Best Buy.

Now I'm stuck with a scratched up MP3 player... oh well, it least it works just fine.

I hate Best Buy! :angry:

S!X
05-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Go in there and steal a different one, There fuckin assholes.

GepperRankins
05-01-2005, 07:21 AM
well you can be sure i'll never shop there from now on :snooty:

S!X
05-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Btw, Rip the things gonna eventually get scratched anyways... Mine has a mirror finish on it and the fuckin case scratched it!!! like omfgwtfbbq!!

Rip The Jacker
05-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Btw, Rip the things gonna eventually get scratched anyways... Mine has a mirror finish on it and the fuckin case scratched it!!! like omfgwtfbbq!!
Yeah, that's true. It will eventually get scratched up, so I'm not that upset about it. It's just not right man, if it is to be scratched up, I'm the guy who should be scratching it, not them!

Tomorrow I'm going to get over there and demand a refund or replacement. I won't leave the damned store unless I get what I want.

:angry:

S!X
05-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Yeah, that's true. It will eventually get scratched up, so I'm not that upset about it. It's just not right man, if it is to be scratched up, I'm the guy who should be scratching it, not them!

Tomorrow I'm going to get over there and demand a refund or replacement. I won't leave the damned store unless I get what I want.

:angry:

Good man :01:

Heres my mp3,Thank god it came with somekind of case or would probbly of been destroyed by now. :lookaroun

http://prod.soit.com.cn/images/upload/eval/4208_2.jpg
http://prod.soit.com.cn/images/upload/eval/4208_1.jpg

100%
05-01-2005, 09:39 AM
They said that they would charge me a 15% restocking fee for a refund/exchange,

15% aint so bad :cry:

Virtualbody1234
05-01-2005, 11:36 AM
You should inform Samsung of what happened. I'm sure they would like to hear about if Bestbuy scratched it.

Was there any evidence that the package had been opened?

http://www.netwalkman.com/ware_images_1/2004121103935.jpg

clocker
05-01-2005, 12:25 PM
They said that they would charge me a 15% restocking fee for a refund/exchange, even though they sold me a scratched up MP3 player!
I hate Best Buy! :angry:
I'm sure this fee only applies if you want to exchange the item for a different model, not to recieve the unscratched unit you thought you were buying.
Even BB can't be that stupid, and given the spate of bad publicity surrounding them lately, I'd be surprised if they wanted to play hardball over such an obvious cock-up.

Rip The Jacker
05-01-2005, 07:39 PM
@15%
:lol:

@VB1234
Nope. The package was sealed and brand new, took me 15 minutes to open the damn thing. I called Samsung and told them my story. The really nice customer rep. said that because scratches aren't covered in the warrenty, he can't replace it. He then said that he will send a notice to home office, and see if they'll contact Best Buy and try and get a replacement/refund for me. So now I'm just waiting I guess.

That's for posting the image. It looks kind of big in the picture, but the actual size is really tiny. So the screen is tiny, that's why the scratches annoy me.

@clocker
Nope, they said I would be charged the fee because I "opened the package and it's no longer in like-new condition." What assholes.

Bad publicity:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1823.html

Damn what's the world coming to? Now a days you can't even buy something new without checking it for damage at the store.

muchspl3
05-01-2005, 07:59 PM
http://www.bestbuysux.org/

S!X
05-01-2005, 08:02 PM
http://www.bestbuysux.org/

Nice :lol:

If my mp3 player came scratched id be pissed off cuz I like to keep my things is the best condition possible. :mellow: Just getting that kind of money to buy that god damn thing was a stuggle. :ermm:

JPaul
05-01-2005, 08:29 PM
I bought the No 2 son a 1Gb MP3 player from Currys. Only cost about £80.

Two months later it stopped working. He had the receipt but not the original headphones or packaging, just the main unit. The big fella thought that was it, no MP3 player, which would be a shame as he uses it all the time.

I went back to Currys and explained this. The chap said no problem, we can replace the part that you still have. So he opened another package and gave me a brand new unit for the old one.

No hassle, no problem, no asking the Manager, no feckin' about, whole thing done in 5 minutes.

Good service, I shall return.

S!X
05-01-2005, 08:35 PM
I bought the No 2 son a 1Gb MP3 player from Currys. Only cost about £80.

Two months later it stopped working. He had the receipt but not the original headphones or packaging, just the main unit. The big fella thought that was it, no MP3 player, which would be a shame as he uses it all the time.

I went back to Currys and explained this. The chap said no problem, we can replace the part that you still have. So he opened another package and gave me a brand new unit for the old one.

No hassle, no problem, no asking the Manager, no feckin' about, whole thing done in 5 minutes.

Good service, I shall return.

Whats Currys? Ok not im getting confused with this cav/chap stuff :blink:

Peerzy
05-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Its a eletronic store, partnered with PC World & Dixons, i doubt you have them in the states.

S!X
05-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Its a eletronic store, partnered with PC World & Dixons, i doubt you have them in the states.

Dont think so, Never heard of em before :blink:

Skiz
05-01-2005, 08:52 PM
They gave me that restocking fee bs when I brought back a DVD burner. I refused to accept it since it was so ridiculous and demanded to speak with the manager who then informed me that it was "policy". I said, "Look, I can see the damn shelf where it goes. I'll go put it over there." Again I get the policy speech. I grabbed the item and stormed over to the shelf and restocked it myself. (ffs, the burners are located right next to the return desk. It was like twenty steps away.) The manager was pissed but he knew I had him. What was he gonna do, go retreive the item and bring it back, then still try to charge me to re-restock it? :P

Skizo - 1
Best Buy - 0 :01:

You should do the same thing. Then go to the computer section and open up that Best Buy sucks website on all their display computers before leaving.

peat moss
05-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Isn't Best Buy also Futureshop in The USA ?

Samurai
05-01-2005, 09:01 PM
RTJ - Seriously, phone them up and explain that as a company, they are OBLIGATED under law to ensure that all products purchased from them have to be of 'merchantable quality'.

I'm not sure if it applies to our US brothers, but over here in the UK we have something called Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 (http://www.oft.gov.uk/Business/Legal/DSR/default.htm).

Basically, it makes no difference whether it was purchased online or in your local Walmart. The goods you purchased were not fit for the purpose, and were not as described.

They are trying to fob you off by announcing a 15% restocking fee. DO NOT TAKE THIS. I'm 95% sure that what they are trying here is illegal. There have been a lot of cases here in the UK where customers are being fobbed off by large companies, and only now are we becoming more aware of the legislation that surrounds purchasing off the Interweb.

Ring them back and threaten them with court action if this issue isn't resolved within 3 days ;)

Skiz
05-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah, do what I said above or just bs them with what Samurai said. Tell them you called the Better Business Bureau and they told you that the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations Act of 2000 states that all sales must be of merchantable quality and that per the BBB's words, your product does not meet those standards.

Sounds good... :lol:

Busyman
05-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Rip, you have to actually go there.

All stores, for the most part, quote policy over the phone.

BB let me return some games well after the Christmas return dates (they gave me store credit) but I had to speak to manager.

I returned 2 games. At first they said no 'cause they don't sell the games anymore (it was Nightshade and Metal Arms). They even looked in the computer.

I walked right over to games section and brought her back the copies that were selling (that supposedly weren't in the computer).

Problem solved.

You have to go there man.

RPerry
05-01-2005, 10:20 PM
I agree with busyman RTJ. You just bought it today, so I would take it back and make sure they knowyou only want an exchange, not a refund. I have heard of places charging restocking fee's on a refund, but never on an exchange of defective equipment :huh:

100%
05-01-2005, 10:29 PM
but never on an exchange of defective equipment :huh:

"damaged goods"
sounds better than "defective" (if you want a refund)

Rip The Jacker
05-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Arrrghhhh.

I went over there today, and the employee took a look at it. Told me the same stupid shit. I spoke to an employee, supervisor, and manager, and none of them did anything for me. The manager said that "99.9% of the time these things aren't scratched." And it's possible for "people to buy them, drop them, and ask for an exchange."

Gah! It's just scratched, no big deal. There are tons of products that can remove scratches off LCD screens, whatever. But the fact that I bought it scratched, thats what pisses me off! Oh well, I'm better off getting rid of the scratches than paying $20-$30 for a replacement.

I will never shop at Best Buy again.

This looks promising....
http://www.displex.de/Languages/English/Index1.htm
I wonder if it works well.

Busyman
05-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Arrrghhhh.

I went over there today, and the employee took a look at it. Told me the same stupid shit. I spoke to an employee, supervisor, and manager, and none of them did anything for me. The manager said that "99.9% of the time these things aren't scratched." And it's possible for "people to buy them, drop them, and ask for an exchange."

Gah! It's just scratched, no big deal. There are tons of products that can remove scratches off LCD screens, whatever. But the fact that I bought it scratched, thats what pisses me off! Oh well, I'm better off getting rid of the scratches than paying $20-$30 for a replacement.

I will never shop at Best Buy again.

This looks promising....
http://www.displex.de/Languages/English/Index1.htm
I wonder if it works well.
I don't work that way. I go next up on the supervisor ladder, I speak to another super another day. I get satisfaction and then I don't shop there again.

Cicuit City works totally the opposite way than BB.

In the future, use CC over BB. They price match too.

100%
05-02-2005, 01:22 AM
you mentioned the b's and the c's
maybe you should go a step higher AA?
:P

suprafreak6
05-02-2005, 02:43 AM
best buy sucks balls

Samurai
05-02-2005, 04:33 AM
you mentioned the b's and the c's
maybe you should go a step higher AA?
:P

Alcoholics Anonymous?

I here they do great deals on park benches :lol:

iamtheoneandonlyone
05-02-2005, 04:36 AM
Eh?

Who actually goes to Best Buy?

RPerry
05-02-2005, 04:55 AM
Eh?

Who actually goes to Best Buy?

Me :P

But not for anything other than games, DVD's or CD's.

S!X
05-02-2005, 06:12 AM
Ive gone there with my uncle when I go to florida just to check out the electronics and stuff. I like them for there nig stores/Fiarly good selection of things. Circuit city is good too. I didnt know best buy was that shitty. :blink:

Rip The Jacker
05-02-2005, 06:55 AM
I never go to Best Buy. I always go to CircuitCity, they kick Best Buy' ass.

I bought an iPod Mini from CircuitCity, and couldn't get it to work. I took it back for a refund, they didn't charge a restocking fee, and didn't ask questions, and they gave me every cent back. I love CircuitCity for that.

The only reason I went to Best Buy was because CircuitCity didn't have the MP3 player I was looking for.

EDIT: And I didn't want to order online and wait...

S!X
05-02-2005, 06:58 AM
I never go to Best Buy. I always go to CircuitCity, they own Best Buy.

I bought an iPod Mini from CircuitCity, and couldn't get it to work. I took it back for a refund, they didn't charge a restocking fee, and didn't ask questions, gave me every cent back.

The only reason I went to Best Buy was because CircuitCity didn't have the MP3 player I was looking for.

I see, A dude at school has that one you got, How is it?

Rip The Jacker
05-02-2005, 07:04 AM
I see, A dude at school has that one you got, How is it?
Man, scratches aside, it's an awesome little player. It holds 1GB of space, and it's a Mass Storage Device so it requires absolutely no software (stupid iTunes) to use. It has FM radio, and a mic to record stuff. You can even record off the radio, it encodes to MP3 with 128kb bitrate. It also has Line-In so you can record off CD-Players or other sources.

It has an adjustable equalizer, bass boost, SRS, WOW, etc. It also uses one AA battery that gives you 42 hours of playback, no rechargeable battery that will eventually need to be replaced. I'd recommend it if you want a 1GB mp3 player, it kicks the 1GB iPod shuffle's ass. :P

S!X
05-02-2005, 07:08 AM
Man, scratches aside, it's an awesome little player. It holds 1GB of space, and it's a Mass Storage Device so it requires NO software to use. It has FM radio, and a mic to record stuff. You can even record off the radio, it encodes to MP3 with 128kb bitrate. It also has Line-In so you can record off CD-Players or other sources.

It also uses one AA battery that gives you 42 hours of playback, no rechargeable battery that will eventually need to be replaced. I'd recommend it if you want a 1GB mp3 player, it kicks the 1GB iPod shuffle's ass. :P

Nice, Im thinking of getting a SD card for mine. I can barely put any songs on it :dry: (Check hardware world). Mine can do everything yours can except it doesnt have a line in, uses 1 AAA and im not sure what bitrate it records from the radio with. Oh yea and its 128MB :dry:

Rip The Jacker
05-02-2005, 07:15 AM
128MB is way too small... so your MP3 player supports SD cards? How does that work, you just have the 128MB, and add the 512MB on top of that... so you'll have 640MB?

S!X
05-02-2005, 07:20 AM
128MB is way too small... so your MP3 player supports SD cards? How does that work, you just have the 128MB, and add the 512MB on top of that... so you'll have 640MB?

Yep pretty much, Id get a 1 gig card but there kinda expensive and I think 640Mb should be enough for me :blink:

Rip The Jacker
05-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Yep pretty much, Id get a 1 gig card but there kinda expensive and I think 640Mb should be enough for me :blink:
You sure... thats about 150 songs... :unsure:

Well actually 1GB is about 240 songs so yeah no big difference.

S!X
05-02-2005, 07:27 AM
You sure... thats about 150 songs... :unsure:

Well actually 1GB is about 240 songs so yeah no big difference.

150 should be plenty for me :D I dont plan on putting my whole music collection on it just the stuff I really like to listen to. :)

Rip The Jacker
05-02-2005, 07:48 AM
Same here. I know people who have 20GB iPods with a ton of songs. I have about 3GB of music, but I only listen to like 30 songs, thats it. How do people do it? :P

Now I can't decide if I should spend $10 and get a scratch remover. :unsure:

S!X
05-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Same here. I know people who have 20GB iPods with a ton of songs. I have about 3GB of music, but I only listen to like 30 songs, thats it. How to people do it... :P

Heh, A 256 MB version of my mp3 is now 129$ :dry: Fuck I know I should of waited... Usually when I want somethin I go out and buy it asap I dunno why.. I paid like 159 for mine after christmas. :blink: Blah oh well live and learn I guess :dry: :pinch:

EDIT: If you can afford why not? Just hopefully it works :)

Rip The Jacker
05-02-2005, 08:11 AM
You paid $159 for a 128MB MP3 player? Wow that's kind of high...

I got mine for $184 after state 8.25% tax...

What if the scratch remover doesn't work. :unsure:

fkdup74
05-02-2005, 03:04 PM
meh.
you shoulda asked me abut best buy RTJ, I coulda told you they suck :P
was down in San Diego a while back for a concert,
had time to kill, went to see about getting my bro a video card
well, aside from the prices being, like, twice that of any pc shop,
the shelves were in a mess, you had to ask 3 different sales ppl where shit was,
IMO they suck about as bad as costco (wholesale store that really sux)
the only good thing they had going was the showing of the Star Wars 3 trailer :P
(oh and they had some lay-z-boy chairs set up to play video games) :lol:

glad I didnt get him a card there, now that I hear what hell I would've went through if it was fkd

PC Club, a local shop I get parts from, lets me get away with murder on returns
they have a restocking fee policy, but never charge me :D
I can go in and tell em I just decided that I didn't want the part,
and they'll take it back, no fee, no trouble
(a courtesy I do not abuse, as it is very generous of them, but it's nice to know I can) :P