PDA

View Full Version : Looking To Overclock

Samurai
05-02-2005, 04:08 AM
Windows XP
AMD Athlon 3200+
1GB DDR PC3200

I've moved the CPU multiplier from 10.5 to 11.0 and noticed a 0.1GHz increase.

Anyone know how far I can go to O/C this thing?

Don't want to damage it as it's my first time. I'm an O/C virgin :blushing:

S!X
05-02-2005, 04:16 AM
Windows XP
AMD Athlon 3200+
1GB DDR PC3200

Whats the speed of it right now? From what ive heard on websites they say to go in increments of 10 and make sure everything is stable afterwards.

EDIT: I may be thinking of videocards? :blink:

Samurai
05-02-2005, 04:19 AM
Well it was running at 2.09 GHz (10.5 on multiplier)

Now it's 2.19 (11.0 on multiplier)

It goes up to 12.5 I think.

Also, apart from the CPU, what else can I O/C?

I have a 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro :)

Jus' need some advice :(

S!X
05-02-2005, 04:21 AM
Well it was running at 2.09 GHz (10.5 on multiplier)

Now it's 2.19 (11.0 on multiplier)

It goes up to 12.5 I think.

Also, apart from the CPU, what else can I O/C?

I have a 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro :)

Jus' need some advice :(

You can over clock your vid card :D Its best to use rivatuner for that. :01:

Samurai
05-02-2005, 04:24 AM
isn't riva for geforce cards? m ine's ati...

i did have an ati one (can't remember name) but it did all kinds of fancy stuff but that was a year ago

S!X
05-02-2005, 04:26 AM
isn't riva for geforce cards? m ine's ati...

i did have an ati one (can't remember name) but it did all kinds of fancy stuff but that was a year ago

Maybe so, Im not to shure. There are various apps on guru3d.com for all your ATI overclocking needs. :)

Monkeee
05-02-2005, 04:38 AM
Windows XP
AMD Athlon 3200+
1GB DDR PC3200

make sure you watch out for the temps of your CPU!
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php <--- a good temp monitor.

S!X
05-02-2005, 06:00 AM
You can check your cpu temp in the bios also. Ive got my CPU overclocked to 2.5 ghz from 2.0 on stock cooling and it seems to run ok and the temps are fine. I overclocked my videocard before but put it back to stock because of artifacting, since my pos 5200 doesnt have a fan. When I began overclocking my cpu I went up in increments of 5 I beleive and tried everything, checked temps ect. So far so good. :)

clocker
05-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Snuggle up with this.... (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=263753)
Pour yourself a drink and prepare to spend some time.

Samurai
05-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Snuggle up with this.... (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=263753)
Pour yourself a drink and prepare to spend some time.

thanks clocker.

i think i've gone as far as i can with the cpu multiplier.

it's set at 11.0x and 11.5 makes it unstable :(

i have no idea how to enable my agp either. it say's it's enabled but everest is telling me otherwise. everest is also telling me my board supports 8x agp but it's only set at 4x. looking in my bios, agp 8x is enabled. weird :blink:

Duffman
05-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Well your card may be a 4x card. Also have you messed with the FSB or just the mutliplier, because the multiplier can make the frequency jump quicker, and have you stepped up the v-core, and what are the temps?

Samurai
05-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Well your card may be a 4x card. Also have you messed with the FSB or just the mutliplier, because the multiplier can make the frequency jump quicker, and have you stepped up the v-core, and what are the temps?

well i've been looking around and my card apparently supports 8x so not sure why it's not working :(

if i reset my mobo (i.e take battery out) the FSB is set at 100MHz, but this is weird because my amd 3200 would only run at 1GHz. It should be set at it's proper 200MHz setting but thankfully I only need to change it when my battery goes which I did the other day (as i found out about the fsb thing).

sthe multiplier was moved from 10.5 to 11.0 with no problems. 11.5 caused my system to crash so i moved it back to 11.0. have touched the v-core yet. i'm beginning to think i can't go too far with this... i just noticed my PSU is 360W :( this pc was top of the range 2 years ago *sniff*

think i might just be happy with the 100MHz increase for now. if i start increasing voltage and what not by going down that route, i could end up frying my system... and that's the last thing i could need right now.

Duffman
05-02-2005, 11:19 AM
If your careful and move slowly your not gonnna fry your system, just make sure you have temperature fail safes set in the bios.

Yeah I know about the fsb thing, I have an AMD2500+ and when I reset the CMOS or something it always sets the FSB to 100, thats just the default so if you don't have a higher end chip you won't have problems from the begining. So I just set the FSB to 200, and I have a 3200+, the FSB is 150 stock I believe. I think you can still move the FSB up though, point by point. One of the things that allows more screwing around with in my BIOS is the user settings, default is beginner and you can't really fuck with the settings, just round numbers for common processors and what not, but if you set it to expert or advanced you can change a lot of the greyed out areas.

clocker
05-02-2005, 11:28 AM
You might try lowering the multiplier (preferably not to a .5 step) and raising the FSB instead.
Run some benchmarks before and after and see which works the best.

Duffman
05-02-2005, 11:33 AM
No, raise the fsb and multiplier, and the vcore!

clocker
05-02-2005, 12:30 PM
No, raise the fsb and multiplier, and the vcore!
Why?
In what order?

Don't forget that the whole point of this exercise is to make your PC run better, not just faster and hotter.
There is a definite sweet spot where good performance,stability and temperature intersect, beyond which you are only "sport clocking"...i.e. going for numbers.
Few (very few) of the extreme OCs that you read about represent functional day-to-day settings- they are stripped to the bone and right on the edge of BSOD.
Furthermore, like racing, once you decide to participate you'd better be willing to kiss the hardware goodbye cause sh*t does happen and your shiny pride and joy can turn to toast before you know it.

There are several tweaks that can be done to Windows itself that will make more noticable differences to your real world PC usage than the extra 50MHz will.
Maybe that would be a more fruitful path to begin on.

lynx
05-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Question is, where did he get an unlocked Athlon this late in the game? :blink:

clocker
05-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Question is, where did he get an unlocked Athlon this late in the game? :blink:
New? I don't know.
There are tons of used ( "preowned"?) ones on forums as folks move into 64bit platforms.