PDA

View Full Version : Firefly is better than Star Wars. Yeah that's right.

Mr. Mulder
05-05-2005, 10:24 AM
It’s shocking to see the amount of people raving on about the up and coming new Star Wars flick, with the last two being huge let downs, and the originals surpassing the classic status and into the camp/dated status.

I’ve watched the trailer for ep III which makes it look very, very impressive, which is a typical George Lucas trick. It’s not going to be a thing like the trailer, the only difference between this new one and the last two is that it will be slightly darker. It’ll be the same over budgeted farce, with a boring political backbone and over exaggerated effects toped off with poor acting :no: Please, stop watching and endorsing them. Yeah, they were great fun all those years ago, but not anymore :no:

Instead, look into Firefly. Don’t be put of by its Joss Whedon links with Buffy if you don’t like that sort of thing, because Firefly is something special. You can pick up the boxset for around £20 or under these days (though I paid £35 when it first came out :dry: ). You don’t have to see the series before seeing the film (Serenity) but you’d benefit more if you did. It’s unbelievably great. Only 14 episodes passed before it fell under Fox’s usual axe of uncertainty, but if the films successful then there’s another two movies planned :)

Just d/l the pilot (Also named Serenity) if you’re still not sure, it’s two episodes long, so it’s about the length of a film.

Don’t settle for less again and see Star Wars, for God's sake, have standards :no:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001B3YTM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

About Firefly (www.tvtome.com/Firefly) Official fan site (www.fireflyfans.net ) Serenity trailers (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=94680)

Before you start flaming this thread, just give it a chance, if you already have and didn’t like it, fair enough :)

4play
05-05-2005, 10:40 AM
heard people raving about firefly for months so i finally decided to download the whole series. Its a fantastic program, very funny at points and always seems to have an excellent twist at the end of every episode.

cant wait to see the new film and i hope they do make more.

{I}{K}{E}
05-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Why do you think Episode I & II weren't that good? You compared them with the older episodes (IV,V,VI)? I thought they were pretty good

Mr. Mulder
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Why do you think Episode I & II weren't that good?

Everything was to a lower standard, acting, plot ect. The only thing that stood out, like with all Lucas flicks is the CGI :rolleyes: I’m not a fan of the originals either :ermm:

4play knows :cool:

MCHeshPants420
05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
I haven't checked out Firefly yet but anything has to be better than the dire first two prequel Star Wars movies though.

But...

and the originals surpassing the classic status and into the camp/dated status.

Really? I still love the original three, I would have never thought that people would have considered them camp. Maybe dated but camp..?

Mr. Mulder
05-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Torrentspy have got the complete series at 3.53 GB, plenty of seeds too :)

they've always seemed pretty camp, to some anyway, and if you watch through them with camp in mind then it's gonna stick (ooo errr)

Edit: Region 2 DVD set @ £15.00 Inc p&p (http://www.choicesdirect.com/templates/product.asp?ProductGuid=663817)

worldpease
05-05-2005, 04:12 PM
I remember when FireFly was being anounced on FOX (almos the same way ABC did for LOST),
I like Csi-Fi, so I was very exited about it, I was there for the first episode and...
wow!, -what a Load of crap-, I thought.
But I know some people might like it, so.

Mr. Mulder
05-05-2005, 04:26 PM
I remember when FireFly was being anounced on FOX (almos the same way ABC did for LOST),
I like Csi-Fi, so I was very exited about it, I was there for the first episode and...
wow!, -what a Load of crap-, I thought.
But I know some people might like it, so.

:pinch: what didn't you like about it? :unsure:

Busyman
05-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Better than Star Wars?

You're on crack. :lol: :lol:

The reason there is this thing for Star Wars is because it's universe is highly original and the new movie in particular will chronicle the fall of Anakin and subsequent turn into Vader, the rise of the empire and Palpatine, the advent of Strorm Troopers from Clone Troopers, the self-exile of Yoda, the birth of Luke and Leia and their split, and the Jedi Purge.

Firefly can kiss an ass in comparison. Sorry.

worldpease
05-06-2005, 12:06 AM
:pinch: what didn't you like about it? :unsure:
Well, It seemed humm... ridiculus (did I wrote it wrong?).
Just like a low budget Sci-Fi movie.
Just like 'Andromeda'.

Some times when there is nothing else to do, I watch Andromeda,
and to this day, I still think its horrendus.

worldpease
05-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Better than Star Wars?

- the new movie in particular will chronicle the fall of Anakin and subsequent turn into Vader, the rise of the empire and Palpatine, the advent of Strorm Troopers from Clone Troopers, the self-exile of Yoda, the birth of Luke and Leia and their split, and the Jedi Purge. -

Damn :unsure: !
Stop now, you are making the agony
of waiting worst.
I keep telling my self -14 more days, just 14 -...

Busyman
05-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Damn :unsure: !
Stop now, you are making the agony
of waiting worst.
I keep telling my self -14 more days, just 14 -...
It'll come soon enough. Don't worry about it.

Hairbautt
05-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Better than Star Wars?

The reason there is this thing for Star Wars is because it's universe is highly original and the new movie in particular will chronicle the fall of Anakin and subsequent turn into Vader, the rise of the empire and Palpatine, the advent of Strorm Troopers from Clone Troopers, the self-exile of Yoda, the birth of Luke and Leia and their split, and the Jedi Purge.

:mellow: Wow. :lol: Couldn't of said it better, :D

Assmunch
05-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Well its obvious if you're not a fan of the original movies there is now way you would be a fan of the newer prequels. I personally can't wait for the next one, so what the first too weren't that great but its star wars. I guess Im just a die hard fan who is hoping the Mr Lucas has woken up to himself and actually made a movie for the fans this time.

Mr. Mulder
05-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Better than Star Wars?

I can see how all those key events are important and must be exciting for Star Wars fans. But Firefly shouldn’t be compared in terms of events and significance. Its originality comes from being simple, it’s us, but in the advanced future. No aliens, no apocalyptic prophecies ect. It’s simply about a crew of salvagers and picks up from there. Due to its short televised life, it didn’t get a chance to fully establish its key plots. We learnt very little, and this next film will explain all. But it’s not going to affect galaxies and the way they live, not in the short run anyway, it will just affect some people :)

Everything’s still of a higher quality though, And I hardly see how my crack problem is relevant here :snooty:

Mr. Mulder
05-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Just like 'Andromeda'.

There is a line, and you Sir, have crossed that line. I bid you good day :snooty:

Edit: After reading over the past few posts, I realised that it might have looked like I was sticking up for Andromeda, when I was in agreement that it is in fact, a bag of wank.

Busyman
05-06-2005, 06:33 PM
There is a line, and you Sir, have crossed that line. I bid you good day :snooty:

Edit: After reading over the past few posts, I realised that it might have looked like I was sticking up for Andromeda, when I was in agreement that it is in fact, a bag of wank.
Adromeda is horrible in comparison to FireFly.

FireFly was a good show but is wasn't THAT good to be considered near Star Wars.

Hell I'm a sci-fi buff and I wasn't breaking my neck to watch it.

Mr. Mulder
05-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Adromeda is horrible in comparison to FireFly.

You can drop that last part, Adromeda is just plain horrible, Kevin Sorbo is a turd :ermm:

But why would anyone put baby faced Mark Hamill, trying his very best to act over any of the brilliantly emotional scenes in Firefly? :unsure: I’d class Firefly as a top cult show. The only shows that come to mind that could give it an inferiority complex, or sit next to it and give it stern looks would be, Angel, Millennium or The X-Files <- Slightly biest(sp?) opinion on that one though :shutup:

Gripper
05-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Got to disagree guys,I liked Andromeda,some origional aliens,the storyline got off to a rocky start but started develop quite well,great battle scenes(who said Hercules in space)plus some very good looking babes

Busyman
05-06-2005, 08:54 PM
You can drop that last part, Adromeda is just plain horrible, Kevin Sorbo is a turd :ermm:

But why would anyone put baby faced Mark Hamill, trying his very best to act over any of the brilliantly emotional scenes in Firefly? :unsure: I’d class Firefly as a top cult show. The only shows that come to mind that could give it an inferiority complex, or sit next to it and give it stern looks would be, Angel, Millennium or The X-Files <- Slightly biest(sp?) opinion on that one though :shutup:
Babylon 5 is my top sci-fi show easily.

5 seasons written like one book.

It had a Lost appeal.

Mr. Mulder
05-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Babylon 5 is my top sci-fi show easily.

5 seasons written like one book.

It had a Lost appeal.

There are many who’d agree with that, for that very reason alone.

Personally I never got into it :frusty:

Busyman
05-06-2005, 09:25 PM
There are many who’d agree with that, for that very reason alone.

Personally I never got into it :frusty:
I never watched it when it aired on TV.

I discovered it on KL and watched every episode I got from dl.

It's one of the worst cases of me skipping over a show when it aired. It looked hokey (at the time) and DS9 had ust come out.

Frohike
05-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Personally I think The Lone Gunmen pwnd The X-Files, Firefly, Star Wars and Babylon 5 :sly:

{I}{K}{E}
05-07-2005, 02:24 PM
Firefly - The Complete Series - Disc 1 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=95243)
Firefly - The Complete Series - Disc 2 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1049402)

{I}{K}{E}
05-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Firefly - The Complete Series - Disc 3 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=95246)
Firefly - The Complete Series - Disc 4 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1049410)

{I}{K}{E}
08-01-2005, 08:16 AM
I just watched the trailer of Serenity the movie. and it looks really good. is it based on what happend in the tv serie? how good is the tv serie?

Cheese
08-01-2005, 08:32 AM
I just watched the trailer of Serenity the movie. and it looks really good. is it based on what happend in the tv serie? how good is the tv serie?

Yes.

Very good.

{I}{K}{E}
08-01-2005, 10:11 PM
just watched the pilot. really liked it.

I think there is a goof @ the end. (1:19:36) Wash has his arm stretched out like he's holding an steering wheel, but he is clearly holding on to nothing :unsure:

manker
08-01-2005, 10:41 PM
I loved the Firefly series. I've just finished watching it.

It's definitely better than Star Wars (I'm not a fan) but what surprised me was that I enjoyed it more than Star Trek.

I wasn't expecting that.

The acting is a bit ropey in parts (Firefly) but the script and humour are excellent. The simplistic realism along with the novel concept that our galaxy just might not be teeming with weird looking aliens was refreshing. In the same vein, the fact that their 'team' had lost a war of independence (a bit like ST's Maquis, I suppose) added to the stark contrast with other Sci-fi I've watched.

Also, the fighting in Firefly is teh roka.

Can't wait to see the film :D

brotherdoobie
08-02-2005, 12:47 AM

It's definitely better than Star Wars (I'm not a fan) but what surprised me was that I enjoyed it more than Star Trek.

I wasn't expecting that.

The acting is a bit ropey in parts (Firefly) but the script and humour are excellent. The simplistic realism along with the novel concept that our galaxy just might not be teeming with weird looking aliens was refreshing. In the same vein, the fact that their 'team' had lost a war of independence (a bit like ST's Maquis, I suppose) added to the stark contrast with other Sci-fi I've watched.

You have crossed the line sir. Better than Star Trek, you say...good day and may you burn in hell!

bd :angry:

Busyman
08-02-2005, 01:55 AM

I wasn't expecting that.

You have crossed the line sir. Better than Star Trek, you say...good day and may you burn in hell!

bd :angry:
I liked Star Trek but in comparison to Babylon 5 it was more episodic (different writers).
It encompassed a great universe but lacked being EPIC.

Even the movies were hit and miss. The Wrath Of Khan being the best and The Search For Spock being second. (the "whale" one was third, a distant third)
All the others sucked and lacked the sense of adventure that Star Wars had.

manker
08-02-2005, 12:28 PM
:unsure:

I did enjoy the 15 or so episodes of Firefly more than if I watched 15 straight episodes of Voyager but if I had to choose between Firefly being in my life or the Star Trek franchise.

I'd still choose Star Trek :wub:

3RA1N1AC
08-02-2005, 01:54 PM
the whole star trek franchise jumped the shark after wrath of khan, man. not WITH wrath of khan, but after it... that movie actually rocked. the franchise has just never been as good as khan, ever since. the movies have mostly been mediocre-to-terrible, the sequel/prequel tv series have all been spotty, and too many stories got recycled over & over. like "uh oh, heres another one about alien drug dealers" and "another one about baddies pretending to be innocent civilians in distress."

manker
08-02-2005, 02:14 PM
How many episodes of ST has there been tho'? I don't even want to guess - or google for that matter - the point is that there's a fucking lot :D

It's inevitable that some storylines will get recycled in ST. That's why I enjoyed Firefly so much, it's a totally different, more realistic and dark look at the future, it didn't appear so constrained as Star Trek, of course that's because it's only one series c.f. 35 series (or whatever).

As to it jumping the shark after Wrath of Kahn ... maybe, but that's when Star Trek started getting restricted by what went before. The history of the galaxy was pretty much set in stone by then so new storylines about different races and power struggles couldn't just 'happen', due care had to be paid to earlier storylines.

The writers couldn't be as innovative anymore. Or maybe it was that they needed to be more innovative within the constraints set down by what went before and their output just wasn't as fresh and exciting.

Both are great but Star Trek has been consistently good for decades, Firefly has been explosively brilliant (I think) for one series.

{I}{K}{E}
08-02-2005, 10:23 PM
watched ep. 2 and 3.

great serie :cool:

why did they stop after 1 season? was the story finished?

brotherdoobie
08-02-2005, 11:21 PM
:unsure:

I did enjoy the 15 or so episodes of Firefly more than if I watched 15 straight episodes of Voyager but if I had to choose between Firefly being in my life or the Star Trek franchise.

I'd still choose Star Trek :wub:

I stand corrected. In my opinion you have redeemed yourself and your
soul. I no longer wish for you to suffer eternal damnation, in the fiery
pits of hell.

Live long and prosper bd

Busyman
08-02-2005, 11:23 PM
watched ep. 2 and 3.

Show was canned.

{I}{K}{E}
08-02-2005, 11:39 PM
watched ep. 2 and 3.

Show was canned.

why? :huh:

Busyman
08-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Show was canned.

Same reason most shows are canned IKE.

Shit ratings.

maebach
08-03-2005, 04:10 AM
My dad watched Star Trek :lol: . He'd tell me, everyday after school he'd run home and watch it. I gotta ask him how many he's seen. I personally like Patrick Stewart as the captain. He was the best. (Shatner was good too)

ofbz
08-03-2005, 11:41 PM
i got the whole season last night... im currently watching ep.2 and im pretty hooked up... not like i was immediatly hooked up with "lost"... but im getting there...

the girl that plays as the whore ..hmm... "compannion" is preety damn hot... hope she's there the whole season...

{I}{K}{E}
08-04-2005, 07:38 AM
yesterday me watched another 3 episodes :01:

that intro and the guitar sound during the episodes are really cool :cool:

Cheese
08-04-2005, 08:20 AM

Shit ratings.

The show never had a chance with the way Fox treated it:

Airing and cancellation

Though the show had a loyal following during its original broadcast, it was cancelled by the Fox Broadcasting Company in December 2002 after only 11 episodes shown in the USA and Canada. Low ratings were blamed for the cancellation; it was also suggested that Whedon's additional responsibilities on Angel after co-creator David Greenwalt's departure from that show was a contributing factor. In the hopes of getting another network such as UPN to pick up the cancelled show, fans formed the 'Firefly Immediate Assistance' campaign, but were technically unsuccessful (though Universal did decide to pick Firefly up as a movie project, see below). Fillion later appeared in the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, while Torres and Baldwin took on recurring roles in Angel. Fans attributed the low ratings in part to actions of the Fox Network. Firefly was promoted as an action-comedy rather than the more serious character study it was intended to be; episodes were occasionally preempted for sporting events, and the episodes were not aired in the order that the creators had intended. Most notably, the two-hour episode Serenity was intended to be the pilot episode, as it contains most of the character introductions and back-story. However, FOX decided that Serenity was not a suitable pilot, and so the second episode, The Train Job, was rushed into production to become the pilot episode. The sequence of episodes aired varied by locality:

In the USA and Canada, starting on September 20, 2002, Fox broadcast the episodes on Fridays at 20:00 (except for the second hour of the pilot which was shown at 21:00). The order was 2-3, 6; 7-8, 4-5, 9; 10, 14, 1; with 11-13 unaired in the USA.

Having watched it I can not see the logic of showing it out of order. Sounds to me like someone wanted to fuck this show over.

To me this show is another DVD success story like Family Guy, proved so popular that they had to bring it back.:01:

manker
08-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Airing them out of order like that is ridiculous. No wonder the fickle audiences never stuck with it.

I'd have been :bawa: if I hadn't seen the the intended pilot (Serenity) before I watched the series.

A new series would be awesome, has anyone heard if this is likely or not?

Busyman
08-04-2005, 01:04 PM

Shit ratings.

The show never had a chance with the way Fox treated it:

Airing and cancellation

Though the show had a loyal following during its original broadcast, it was cancelled by the Fox Broadcasting Company in December 2002 after only 11 episodes shown in the USA and Canada. Low ratings were blamed for the cancellation; it was also suggested that Whedon's additional responsibilities on Angel after co-creator David Greenwalt's departure from that show was a contributing factor. In the hopes of getting another network such as UPN to pick up the cancelled show, fans formed the 'Firefly Immediate Assistance' campaign, but were technically unsuccessful (though Universal did decide to pick Firefly up as a movie project, see below). Fillion later appeared in the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, while Torres and Baldwin took on recurring roles in Angel. Fans attributed the low ratings in part to actions of the Fox Network. Firefly was promoted as an action-comedy rather than the more serious character study it was intended to be; episodes were occasionally preempted for sporting events, and the episodes were not aired in the order that the creators had intended. Most notably, the two-hour episode Serenity was intended to be the pilot episode, as it contains most of the character introductions and back-story. However, FOX decided that Serenity was not a suitable pilot, and so the second episode, The Train Job, was rushed into production to become the pilot episode. The sequence of episodes aired varied by locality:

In the USA and Canada, starting on September 20, 2002, Fox broadcast the episodes on Fridays at 20:00 (except for the second hour of the pilot which was shown at 21:00). The order was 2-3, 6; 7-8, 4-5, 9; 10, 14, 1; with 11-13 unaired in the USA.

Having watched it I can not see the logic of showing it out of order. Sounds to me like someone wanted to fuck this show over.

To me this show is another DVD success story like Family Guy, proved so popular that they had to bring it back.:01:
How are the DVD sales?

The worst thing you can to a show is air it on Friday. Even the series was out of order, sci-fi buffs (the intended audience actually) would watch it anyway. Also Fridays already had Stargate, so it went up against another popular sci-fi show that now is in it's 9th season.

Also I can't believe like Andromeda.

Busyman
08-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Airing them out of order like that is ridiculous. No wonder the fickle audiences never stuck with it.

I'd have been :bawa: if I hadn't seen the the intended pilot (Serenity) before I watched the series.

A new series would be awesome, has anyone heard if this is likely or not?
It sounds likely since With said the DVD sales are kicking ass and if the movie does well.

{I}{K}{E}
08-05-2005, 01:19 PM
ep. 14 is the imo the best episode. :01:

I wanna see more episodes :angry: :cry:

manker
08-05-2005, 01:43 PM
ep. 14 is the imo the best episode. :01:

I wanna see more episodes :angry: :cry:I know :angry:

My favourite is the second episode with Niska - where Mal Reynolds gets captured by him, I think it's called War Stories. Jaynestown is definitely the funniest.

Mr. Mulder
08-05-2005, 03:18 PM
War Stories would have been perfect if it weren't for the ghey synchronised shooting scene at the end.