PDA

View Full Version : Bill C-38 passes (AKA the gay marriage bill)

MagicNakor
05-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Really just an update for those of you following this up here in Canada. Plus, it's been a wee bit dead in here. ;)

Yesterday, the House of Commons approved Bill C-38. Now through its second reading, it'll head to legislative study before being read a third time.

164 for and 137 against.

Edit: Indubitably, my MP voted against. :angry:

:shuriken:

Smith
05-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Bout friggin time 2.

JPaul
05-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Bout friggin time 2.
Congratulations.

BawA
05-06-2005, 04:37 PM
this world is going str8 to hell[in the name of freedom] :angry:

{I}{K}{E}
05-06-2005, 05:00 PM
this world is going str8 to hell[in the name of freedom] :angry:

so gay people can get married now in Canada :unsure: and Bawa is againt it? :huh:

BawA
05-06-2005, 05:15 PM
its not about canada or where i live, its just wrong and a new step to more of these "God" prohibited works, they 1st allowed lesbian mariges then gay maraige next they will allow incest marriges, its just seems we'r going back to where we were before.

Busyman
05-06-2005, 06:10 PM
its not about canada or where i live, its just wrong and a new step to more of these "God" prohibited works, they 1st allowed lesbian mariges then gay maraige next they will allow incest marriges, its just seems we'r going back to where we were before.
I agree to an extent.

Keep yourself on the straight and narrow and when you have kids teach them to respect everyone as humans.

In a world full of "Sodomites" try to worry about yourself and your family.

What happens in the end is up to God.

Read Revelations in the Bible. Also look at the Qu'ran.

GepperRankins
05-06-2005, 06:28 PM
I agree to an extent.

Keep yourself on the straight and narrow and when you have kids teach them to respect everyone as humans.

reading reccomendations or sarcasm?

{I}{K}{E}
05-06-2005, 07:09 PM

why allow lesbian marriages before male can do that? that's such a BS, it's the same.

What has incest todo with allowing gay marriage? I thought incent is illegal, being gay NOT.

I'm for gay marriage but i'm againt gay couples to adopt children.

Busyman
05-06-2005, 07:26 PM
why allow lesbian marriages before male can do that? that's such a BS, it's the same.

What has incest todo with allowing gay marriage? I thought incent is illegal, being gay NOT.

I'm for gay marriage but i'm againt gay couples to adopt children.
I think the lesbian gay thing was a mistake IKE.

I understand what he's getting at even though it didn't make literal sense.

JPaul
05-06-2005, 07:41 PM
I agree to an extent.

Nice to see you are respecting everyone there.

Including the "Sodomites" one assumes.

Busyman
05-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Nice to see you are respecting everyone there.

Including the "Sodomites" one assumes.
I don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle. However, I don't think they should be beaten, spat on, discriminated against for jobs, etc.

JPaul
05-06-2005, 08:00 PM
I don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle. However, I don't think they should be beaten, spat on, discriminated against for jobs, etc.
There is a world of difference between " .... I don't think they should be beaten, spat on, discriminated against for jobs, etc." and respecting someone.

{I}{K}{E}
05-06-2005, 08:06 PM

you dont agree?

I think you just can not understand why 2 men can live together and love each other.

If 2 people of the same sex love each other you should respect that.

Busyman
05-06-2005, 08:20 PM
you dont agree?

I think you just can not understand why 2 men can live together and love each other.

If 2 people of the same sex love each other you should respect that.
Yeah I understand that a man can be attracted to a man and that's his preference. Anyone can love anyone.

That's about it. :unsure:

{I}{K}{E}
05-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Yeah I understand that a man can be attracted to a man and that's his preference. Anyone can love anyone.

That's about it. :unsure:

But you think they shouldnt be able to get married? If so why?

manker
05-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Another step toward equality for all, first women, then non-whites and now gay folk have the same basic rights as everyone else.

Good stuff.

Anyone not in favour of that must surely be prejudiced in some way.

vidcc
05-06-2005, 08:35 PM
A fine example. It's ok for people to have bigoted views but not for them to force their bigoted views on others in the way they run their life.

Be proud Canada...you are leaders in freedom.

GepperRankins
05-06-2005, 08:36 PM
i don't really care too much about the marriage thingy, although marriage is religious and as far as i know religion never intended to man+man or woman+woman.

i do however believe kids should have a mother and a father, so i'm against the adoption thingy

Busyman
05-06-2005, 08:36 PM
But you think they shouldnt be able to get married? If so why?
Well since I don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle then I certainly don't agree with them getting married.

I think that influence is a motherfucker.

I don't think people are born gay. I think people's preferences in anything are shaped through a myriad of stimuli or lack thereof with no rhyme or reason as to a result. I view sexuality in the same boat.

However, influences cannot and are not ignored. As something is more accepted it is more embraced and often mimicked.

I have seen this on the lesbian side of the fence.

manker
05-06-2005, 08:45 PM
i don't really care too much about the marriage thingy, although marriage is religious and as far as i know religion never intended to man+man or woman+woman.

i do however believe kids should have a mother and a father, so i'm against the adoption thingyIt will only be a civil ceremony, the church won't sanction it - not the larger ones anyway, to afford the gay couple the same rights as mixed gender married couples.

chalice
05-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Well since I don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle then I certainly don't agree with them getting married.

I think that influence is a motherfucker.

I don't think people are born gay. I think people's preferences in anything are shaped through a myriad of stimuli or lack thereof with no rhyme or reason as to a result. I view sexuality in the same boat.

However, influences cannot and are not ignored. As something is more accepted it is more embraced and often mimicked.

I have seen this on the lesbian side of the fence.

Lesbian fencing rocks! What channel is that on?

Arm
05-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Stupid fundie.

Smith
05-07-2005, 01:51 AM
I dont see whats wrong with it. If they love each other why not.

Politics and Religion should not mix, because you cant base a law on catholic values when there are jews, budists and muslims that live in your country. Its not fair.

Its not about being against religion, why? because religion is gehy.

Im sure its nice to have something to look foward to when you die, but untill then go read some science books.

sorry, just been a long week.

Oh and incest marriages will never happen because its just wrong. I dont care what anyone says, you dont marry in your family.

MCHeshPants420
05-07-2005, 02:05 AM
Oh and incest marriages will never happen because its just wrong. I dont care what anyone says, you dont marry in your family.

They do in Cornwall.

JPaul
05-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Politics and Religion should not mix, because you cant base a law on catholic values when there are jews, budists and muslims that live in your country. Its not fair.

Do you mean catholic or Catholic when you say this.

The word catholic means liberal, of broad scope, so catholic values would appear to be exactly appropriate in this situation.

I don't really get your point, you seem to be contradicting yourself.

JPaul
05-07-2005, 09:34 AM
It will only be a civil ceremony, the church won't sanction it - not the larger ones anyway, to afford the gay couple the same rights as mixed gender married couples.
We're doing the same here, I believe it will be later this year.

Good idea says I.

manker
05-07-2005, 10:58 AM
We're doing the same here, I believe it will be later this year.

Good idea says I.Aren't you already married :unsure:

MagicNakor
05-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Well, it looks like this topic picked up rather nicely. ;)

For here, anyway, the onus of religious versus civil is being left to the individual churches to decide. I know of a number of churches that are already performing same-sex marriages, and I know of a number that refuse to.

JPaul's just waiting for that special someone.

Busyman
05-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Well, it looks like this topic picked up rather nicely. ;)

For here, anyway, the onus of religious versus civil is being left to the individual churches to decide. I know of a number of churches that are already performing same-sex marriages, and I know of a number that refuse to.

JPaul's just waiting for that special someone.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is another thing. If you are a church of a religion that disagrees with homoexuality, then how the hell does the church just all of sudden change.

Phase 1
Deterioration of the church. :(

JPaul
05-07-2005, 05:14 PM

This is another thing. If you are a church of a religion that disagrees with homoexuality, then how the hell does the church just all of sudden change.

Phase 1
Deterioration of the church. :(
Have any churches actually done this, I cant think of any recent announcements to that effect. However it's not something I have been monitoring.

manker,

In your role as a bank clerk, do you think it would be bigamy if I were to marry a man whilst still married to Mrs JP. It's just that MN has got me to thinking and well .... never say never.

bigboab
05-07-2005, 05:32 PM
If gay people were married could they get divorced on the grounds of adultery?

@JP. Only if the other fellow was already married. :unsure:

Busyman
05-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Have any churches actually done this, I cant think of any recent announcements to that effect. However it's not something I have been monitoring.Same here.

manker,

In your role as a bank clerk, do you think it would be bigamy if I were to marry a man whilst still married to Mrs JP. It's just that MN has got me to thinking and well .... never say never.
Phase 5
Bigamy (after homosexuality, of course)

GepperRankins
05-07-2005, 06:16 PM
:blink: bigamy... so?

MagicNakor
05-07-2005, 07:10 PM
The United Church of Canada will perform same-sex marriages. But, again, it's up to each individual minister.

Who knows, Mrs JP might enjoy some time to herself. ;)

JPaul
05-07-2005, 07:30 PM
The United Church of Canada will perform same-sex marriages. But, again, it's up to each individual minister.

Who knows, Mrs JP might enjoy some time to herself. ;)

Exactly.

With the added benefit for me that after sex there would be somebody to talk to about football.

Busyman
05-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Exactly.

With the added benefit for me that after sex there would be somebody to talk to about football.

manker
05-08-2005, 03:58 PM
manker,

In your role as a bank clerk, do you think it would be bigamy if I were to marry a man whilst still married to Mrs JP. It's just that MN has got me to thinking and well .... never say never.If that's your idea of a proposal, you can think again, mister :snooty:

bigboab
05-08-2005, 05:55 PM
If that's your idea of a proposal, you can think again, mister :snooty:

Well spotted Manker. :) No good fellow is just trying to get in the back door. :lol: Phone his good Lady and get him put back to the kitchen sink. :ph34r:

Smith
05-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Politics and Religion should not mix, for example: you cant base a law on Catholic values when there are jews, budists and muslims that live in your country. Its not fair.

better?

manker
05-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Politics and Religion should not mix, for example: you cant base a law on Catholic values when there are jews, budists and muslims that live in your country. Its not fair.

better?Law has always had roots in religious values. A few of the Ten Commandments have stood up well, in a legal sense, over time. What you're saying may have some merit if you elaborated somewhat and if your statement wasn't so sweeping.

Tho' I can't really think of a pertinent example right now :huh:

vidcc
05-10-2005, 02:25 PM
I think there were probably laws such as not being allowed to kill before the commandments were written. I agree that society has been influenced greatly by religion however I think canuks point is more that we don't want our representatives looking to "god" when deciding on the budget and they shouldn't be looking at books written by man such as the bible when deciding on equal rights.

GepperRankins
05-10-2005, 02:31 PM
like penn and teller said on one page in the bible it says you shouldn't kill, on another it says disobedient children should be stoned.

i don't know what that has to do with anything i just thought of it

vidcc
05-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Leviticus ?