PDA

View Full Version : hard drive in ps2

Tylerrought
05-10-2005, 01:09 AM
i once read somewheres that u can use a Hard drive instead of memory cards for ur ps2. how do i do it and is it even possible? im pretty sure i heard it on here quite a long time ago.

tesco
05-10-2005, 01:27 AM
You can buy a ps2 hardware. it fits in the "dock" at the back.

And i'm not sure, cause i've never seen one, but i think you need the network adaptor to use it (it has the hookups built into it).

Livy
05-10-2005, 10:47 PM
yeah, it only works on the old big type ps2's. you have to buy the network card which has a dock for a hardrive, i think it has to be a ps2 hardrive, and not just any hdd.

Monkeee
05-10-2005, 11:59 PM
you can use any old IDE hard drive with a network adapter on a ps2, but i reccomend a maxtor hard drive.

Tylerrought
05-11-2005, 12:13 AM
k, cuz i have a western digital 4 GB sittin here and i want to use it as a memory card for my ps2. all i need is the network adapter and it will work then?

tesco
05-11-2005, 12:27 AM
k, cuz i have a western digital 4 GB sittin here and i want to use it as a memory card for my ps2. all i need is the network adapter and it will work then?
no, i tried that.
the plugs inside of the network adaptor are in a fixed place, so they won't line up with any hardware.
You might get lucky, but i wouldn't take the chance buying the network adaptor if u have no other use for it, unless you're going to buy the ps2 harddrive.

Tylerrought
05-11-2005, 12:52 AM
ill see if i can find a friend with a network adapter and if his works then ill buy 1

muchspl3
05-11-2005, 12:52 AM
I recommend getting a HD, its the best thing I ever got for my ps2
http://img182.echo.cx/img182/7895/hdload20large6aw.jpg

Formula1
05-11-2005, 01:29 AM
So with hdloader.... all i do is buy the disc from a modchip site. Then install it on my pc ? Then hook up the ps2 to my pc , using the network adapter, right?

Would i also need a modchip ? And can i use my pc harddrive to load games onto ps2 or would i have to buy the sony ps2 harddrive (hdd)

Monkeee
05-11-2005, 01:34 AM
So with hdloader.... all i do is buy the disc from a modchip site. Then install it on my pc ? Then hook up the ps2 to my pc , using the network adapter, right?

Would i also need a modchip ? And can i use my pc harddrive to load games onto ps2 or would i have to buy the sony ps2 harddrive (hdd)

you buy HD, install it on Ps2 with the network adapter, you get HD Loader and install it on the HD with the ps2.

muchspl3
05-11-2005, 01:49 AM
correct ^^

and you don't need a mod chip, hell you don't even need to buy hdloader, you can ftp it to your HD and load it to your memery card.
I just bought hdloader...

Formula1
05-11-2005, 02:03 AM
can i use my old ibm, 15.9GB IDE hdd ?

nevermind

"You require a Sony Network Adapter and a IDE HD (40GB-120GB)"

:(

muchspl3
05-11-2005, 02:13 AM
info on how it works and what hds work
http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=ps2_installation

HD Loader game compatibility
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/casey.miller/HD%20Loader%20Compatibility.htm

Formula1
05-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the links muchspl. seeing i can download hdloader from
*LINK REMOVED*

would i be able to install this and not worry about buying the actual hdloader disc ?

muchspl3
05-12-2005, 01:03 AM
you have to read up on how to do the memery card exploit
http://www.ps2hd.com/forums/faq.php?faq=hdlfaq

you don't have to buy it, but I did @ gocybershop.ca its up to you if you want to jump through all the hoops...

Formula1
05-12-2005, 01:20 AM
alright , I thank you so much for your help. :D Hopefully i'll get into this, once i've successfully receive a modchip im expecting to get.

muchspl3
05-12-2005, 02:59 AM
you really don't need a mod chip with hdloader, but if you do I would suggest a dsm4 mod chip, you can now upgrade to toxic OS firmware, basically lets you copy any game to your HD because it will read both layers
read more about that here
http://www.mgforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=263260#post263260

Formula1
10-21-2005, 02:13 PM
hey , i know this topic is old. I have a modchip in my ps2 that can read burned CD-r's . Does hd loader come with some sort of copy protection? Im donwloading the clone CD, will it be able to install with burned cdR ?

muchspl3
10-21-2005, 09:01 PM
if you have a mod chip then yes you can DL and run hdloader like any other game you dl'ed off the net and burned

Formula1
10-21-2005, 11:30 PM
alright thanks for the reply, muchspl :)

3RA1N1AC
10-22-2005, 02:08 AM
no, i tried that.
the plugs inside of the network adaptor are in a fixed place, so they won't line up with any hardware.
You might get lucky, but i wouldn't take the chance buying the network adaptor if u have no other use for it, unless you're going to buy the ps2 harddrive.
if you're willing to void the warranty on the network adapter, you can make "slightly ill-fitting" hard drives fit (models which normally wouldn't). you just need to unscrew the aluminum frame from the network adapter, use scissors or metal-cutters or whatever to snip it a little bit (if necessary) so that the molex power connector has room to move around. then unscrew the molex connector so it's no longer in a fixed position relative to the IDE connector, and reattach the aluminum frame.

sure, the molex is now "detached" but if you have an HDD installed then who cares? the HDD keeps it from rattling around. and this gives you more choices as far as brands & models of HDDs that you can use.