PDA

View Full Version : filibusters

vidcc
05-10-2005, 08:22 PM
for those outside the US that don't know, a filibuster (simplified) is where one party can prevent a vote on an issue unless a vote of 60 out of 100 can be achieved to move on...the idea is to protect minority rights against the actions of a majority party.
Presently the republicans are trying to remove the filibuster for court nominations so a simple majority will push through all judges put forward by Bush.

Personally I would like to see the filibuster go...but in its place I would wish all judges that are being voted for lifetime positions to have to achieve a minimum 60 votes.

The debate is not the rights or wrongs of the filibuster system.

should lifetime appointments to such positions as supreme court judges be allowed to be made by the simple 51% vote of the majority party of the day?..... given that today's majority could be tomorrows minority.

Busyman
05-10-2005, 08:56 PM
I disagree.

The debate will be about where ever the thread goes in relation to the topic.

You mentioned filibusters. I say leave it be.

...and to your last statement, I like it they it has always been.

bigboab
05-10-2005, 10:21 PM
for those outside the US that don't know, a filibuster (simplified) is where one party can prevent a vote on an issue unless a vote of 60 out of 100 can be achieved to move on...the idea is to protect minority rights against the actions of a majority party.
Presently the republicans are trying to remove the filibuster for court nominations so a simple majority will push through all judges put forward by Bush.

Personally I would like to see the filibuster go...but in its place I would wish all judges that are being voted for lifetime positions to have to achieve a minimum 60 votes.

The debate is not the rights or wrongs of the filibuster system.

should lifetime appointments to such positions as supreme court judges be allowed to be made by the simple 51% vote of the majority party of the day?..... given that today's majority could be tomorrows minority.

In the UK a Filibuster is someone who carries on speaking in the House to prevent a vote taking place. I understand he can not be stopped from speaking unless the debate runs out of time. :)

JPaul
05-10-2005, 10:28 PM
I disagree.

The debate will be about where ever the thread goes in relation to the topic.

You mentioned filibusters. I say leave it be.

...and to your last statement, I like it they it has always been.
I totally agree, the debate goes where it goes. Regardless of the use of emboldening, which is actually a wee bit sad.

However I have to insist that, given the context, "wherever" is one word.

Busyman
05-10-2005, 10:37 PM
I totally agree, the debate goes where it goes. Regardless of the use of emboldening, which is actually a wee bit sad.

I wanted you to catch that. ;)

But this........

I like it they it has always been.

was a horrible screw up. :(

Rat Faced
05-10-2005, 10:44 PM

Is the use of "sad", used in this context, now the correct English word?

Or have you joined with the youth of the nation in this regard?

vidcc
05-11-2005, 12:00 AM

you are now 30 of the most boring people i know

Busyman
05-11-2005, 12:05 AM
JPaul welcome to club man!!!! :clap:

I've been a member for quite a while.

What did you say?

You couldn't give a wee shit? :(

vidcc
05-11-2005, 12:37 AM
JPaul welcome to club man!!!! :clap:

I've been a member for quite a while.

no .....you are just a strange person... boring you are not

Busyman
05-11-2005, 01:00 AM
no .....you are just a strange person... boring you are not
Aww come on...I said welcome to club.

I Tarzan.

MCHeshPants420
05-11-2005, 02:24 AM

Jpaul is 30 people?

I knew he had a few other usernames but that's just ridiculous.

JPaul
05-11-2005, 11:42 AM
The really sad thing is he didn't see the irony of busybody's post, or my support of it, given that the thread is about "filibustering".

I suppose one would be bored by that which one fails to understand.

You, Sir are one of the most benightedly uninspiring people it has been my misfortune to fail to avoid meeting.

Biggles
05-11-2005, 07:16 PM
:blink:

I thought a filibuster was the big stick I use to bring SGG into line.

Mr JP Fugley
05-11-2005, 07:22 PM
:blink:

I thought a filibuster was the big stick I use to bring SGG into line.
V Poor Les, V V Poor.

You can use a filly buster, but it must be no thicker than your thumb. Or is that just for t'wife. :blink:

bigboab
05-11-2005, 07:30 PM
V Poor Les, V V Poor.

You can use a filly buster, but it must be no thicker than your thumb. Or is that just for t'wife. :blink:

Or no bigger than your thumb. :(

Biggles
05-11-2005, 07:37 PM
V Poor Les, V V Poor.

:blushing: Thought Bigboab was having the night off. Just trying to keep the end up ... ooeer Missus!

Busyman
05-12-2005, 01:50 PM
I suppose one would be bored by that which one fails to understand.

You, Sir are one of the most benightedly uninspiring people it has been my misfortune to fail to avoid meeting.
:pinch:
:ph34r:
:pinch:
:ph34r:

GepperRankins
05-12-2005, 01:56 PM
are you number one?