PDA

View Full Version : Is btefnet.net dead?

asari
05-13-2005, 04:05 AM
Okay, forget it. It is dead. And so are 5 others. Click here to see why. (http://www.mpaa.org/MPAAPress/2005/2005_05_12_BitTorrent.pdf)

:angry: :angry: :angry:

escobar
05-13-2005, 04:56 AM
yeah shuntv is gone too

muchspl3
05-13-2005, 05:05 AM
ZDNET:

Continuing its war on Internet file-swapping sites, the Motion Picture Association of America said Thursday that it has filed lawsuits against a half-dozen hubs for TV show trading.

The trade association said that piracy of TV programming is growing quickly online, and that shows are as important to protect as big-budget films. This is the first legal action from the group that has focused most heavily on TV content.

"Every television series depends on other markets (such as) syndication and international sales to earn back the enormous investment required to produce the comedies and dramas we all enjoy," MPAA Chief Executive Officer Dan Glickman said in a statement. "Those markets are substantially hurt when that content is stolen."

The latest round of suits retains a focus on BitTorrent technology, which has been widely used online to distribute movies and films.

The suits are focused on the sites that serve as traffic directors for BitTorrent swaps, rather than on individual computer users uploading and downloading content. The MPAA also has sued individuals, but has not said how many people have been targeted.

The six sites sued Thursday include ShunTV, Zonatracker, Btefnet, Scifi-Classics, CDDVDHeaven and Bragginrights.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/12/2237235&from=rss

KenDaMan writes "ZDNet.com is reporting that the MPAA is targeting websites that serve as traffic directors for BitTorrent swaps (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5705142.html). From the article: 'Continuing its war on Internet file-swapping sites, the Motion Picture Association of America said Thursday that it has filed lawsuits against a half-dozen hubs for TV show trading.' Apparently it is OK to record TV as long as your aren't sharing it."

davec8
05-13-2005, 05:19 AM
Dammit. Btefnet was a great tv site. Never tried any of the others. Oh well.

BigTim
05-13-2005, 06:14 AM
btefnet.net was a great site. The quality was always so high... b'ah. Where am I going to get my high quality TV shows from now?

I always understood that uploading TV shows (as long as they weren't DVD rips) wasn't illegal... shows how wrong I was.

alonso
05-13-2005, 07:20 AM
btefnet.net was a great site. The quality was always so high... b'ah. Where am I going to get my high quality TV shows from now?

Elite Torrents, FileList, Pisexy etc ... don't worry u still have the choice :D

4play
05-13-2005, 07:38 AM
i wonder if they are still serving torrents from their irc channel still ?

sArA
05-13-2005, 09:53 AM
This really sucks.....that's where I was getting my Dr Who from :(

Adster
05-13-2005, 10:27 AM
FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nothing ever lasts forever where the hell am i spose to get TV shows now??

BigTim
05-13-2005, 03:37 PM
When ever I missed a TV show, or wanted to keep something, I used to get it from btefnet - miles higher quality that videoing it, or any other site, it's on your computer, and they upload so soon after it's on TV.

My question is, really, what alternatives do we have now, for getting TV shows after they've been on TV - at such a high quality. I mean, who were the people that captured and uploaded the TV shows, and are they still doing it somewhere else (Someone else mentioned IRC - but I don't really know what that is).

{I}{K}{E}
05-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Please continue the discussion here (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1052891).

DrTroy47
05-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Stay tuned because the topic at the IRC channel, #bt, is this:

#bt will be back soon | Website Down | Don't PM the ops or voices !! | we will give more info when we have it!

#bt apparently does not want to die. These guys have balls.

Adster
05-14-2005, 01:30 AM
sooo ummmmm if that were true is the MPAA story a sack of shit??? there going to sue BTnet i guess they will go private this really fucking sux living in australia it was great to download TV shows here we don't get here or get like 6 months later then america!!

but they don't give a shit about us my fucking ass there loosing money

if I record a show and watch it the next day and flick through the ads whats the fucking difference between downloading it!!! so sue me !!

muchspl3
05-14-2005, 03:06 AM
Please continue the discussion here (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1052891).
why is your thread any better than this? what makes your so special?

cow_dung
05-14-2005, 05:47 AM
:mellow: so what are the alternatives....? :mellow:

muchspl3
05-14-2005, 06:05 AM
not to be a dick, but if someone were to open another thread about this, you would lock it and direct it to this thread.
but since you opened a thred in your neme, you want everyone to contine this convo in another thread.
fucked IMO

Cyril
05-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Bugger. Hope they DO come back as they were awesome

javpc
05-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Noooo, that was THE bittorrent site for TV episodes.. I am surely going to miss how easy and fast it was!

Wallace_Askew
05-14-2005, 10:21 PM
my avatar says it all

erRor67
05-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Since the MPAA began its campaign to stomp out piracy in mid-December 2004, their main priority has been BitTorrent indexing sites that distribute movie torrents. As an example of their efforts, the MPAA eradicated such torrent sites as LokiTorrent, leaving only the "You can click, but you cannot hide" catch phrase as remnants. Although the MPAA concentrated mainly on movie piracy, the MPAA has shifted gears as those who distribute TV torrents are now targeted.

In a press release issued today, the MPAA has filed lawsuits against six (6) independent BitTorrent indexing sites. This move comes as little surprise, as many of the MPAA's members also hold considerable interest in TV production as well. In addition, according to a recent survey by Envisional, TV piracy (especially on BitTorrent) has increased by 150%.

“Internet thievery of all creative materials is unacceptable and these thieves need to realize they are not anonymous,” said MPAA President and CEO Dan Glickman.

“There are thousands of people in the entertainment industry who are working to develop, produce, and promote television shows. Those shows and those jobs are worth protecting. Every television series depends on other markets-syndication, international sales – to earn back the enormous investment required to produce the comedies and dramas we all enjoy and those markets are substantially hurt when that content is stolen. On these sites, anyone in the world can download entire television seasons in a single click.”

If we believe the movie industry’s statistics, the MPAA seems to have a better grip on the piracy situation than the RIAA. According to the RIAA, 90% of BitTorrent site operators who have been sued no longer offer torrent files. Also, the MPAA claims that the number of BitTorrent sites in existence has fallen by 40% since mid-December. The RIAA would kill for such numbers.

“Since we began shutting these sites down, the time that it takes to download a file on BitTorrent has increased exponentially which means the experience of downloading copyrighted films and TV shows is not what it used to be,” said Glickman. “We intend to make it even worse. Protecting the television industry is essential.”

This statement seems to contradict the experience many BitTorrent users testify to. Instead, users claim there are actually more torrent sites available and their BitTorrent journey remains on par with earlier experiences – providing they use indexing sites other than today’s targets…

So, who was sued by the MPAA today? Some very familiar faces in the BitTorrent community may be looking at their last days on the Internet.

Shuntv.net: This site has around 10,000 registered users in addition to catalogs TV torrents (or at least had.) The indexing portion of the site is "perm down" and links to the MPAA's press release.

Zonatracker.com: Zonatraker is a small Spanish torrent site, although it indexes many new movies in addition to TV shows. Zonatracker's indexing ability still appears operational.

Btefnet.net: Btefnet is a very large and well known torrent community of over 48,000 registered users. Many have called this community home since the fall of other larger torrent sites. Btefnet's tracker is still online.

Scifi-classics.net: This is a very small torrent site, and looking at the home page one would think the site is virtually dead (considering the last news update was in 2004.) However, the forums are quite active, with copious torrents tucked inside. Scifi's tracker is still online.

Cddvdheaven.co.uk: The MPAA was smart in the way they handled this site, and used its own statistics against it. "This site has over 8000 registered users,
and averaged over 1500 visits a day in March 2005 according to statistics
posted on the site." The tracking ability of this site remains intact.

Bragginrights.biz: This site is big on collecting donations – and probably will be more so in the coming days. "IF THE DONATIONS DO NOT GET ANY BETTER THEN THIS SITE WILL HAVE TO CLOSE." It appears the MPAA was quick to use this against this site, stating "It solicits donations to make money." We'll see how this situation plays out. It also appears the site's tracker is still online.

Since news of the MPAA's lawsuits only recently broke, it remains to be seen what action these sites will take. Although most are online at the moment, it should be expected they will slowly go off line in the coming hours and days.
Source: Slyck (http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=786)

Also, please note that Btefnet.com and Btefnet.net is now owned by new owners. If you go to btefnet.com, you will see a page asking for donations. NO NOT DONATE! The site isnt owned by the same people. Some new person bought the domain and its most likely a scammer.

Remember, DO NOT DONATE TO BTEFNET.COM!! Its not the same owners!

Stanners
05-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Btefnet is now operating only via irc but they have stopped serving torrents due to abuse.

suscept
05-19-2005, 01:49 AM
i hope it comes back soon.

mbt
05-24-2005, 08:40 AM
rest in peace and i hope they will restart ;)

matt526
06-03-2005, 07:41 PM
is btefnet.net (http://btefnet.net) trying to come back?
it looks like they are trying something :w00t:

Wallace_Askew
06-04-2005, 02:44 AM

Any more info on this?

nesler
06-04-2005, 03:11 AM

Any more info on this?

It ain't coming back. It's obvious that the site has been bought up, as I've seen that same advertising setup on a couple dozen generic sites that pop up google searches for torrents.

So yeah, btefnet.net is dead.

echosak
06-08-2005, 05:43 AM
man i hate this i never used to watch tv cause of commercials now since btefnet is gone looks like i'm gonna have to start

spymaster
06-09-2005, 06:16 AM
a new site was operating for a while, eztv, http://eztv.kicks-ass.net/

they are only on IRC now, website went down just over a week ago.

there is also; http://www.tv-torrents.org/