PDA

View Full Version : RSS Feed

tesco
05-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Was wondering if anyone would find RSS Feeds useful?
The hack is easy to do, but I won't do it if no one is going to use it.;)

So?

Vargas
05-13-2005, 11:51 PM
hell yes, i can quit hitting F5 like a monkey on speed :w00t:
something like this (http://www.findhash.com/rss/) would be great

Rick Phlegm
05-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Don't really know how to use them. :unsure:

But if it adds extra fanciness then why not? :D

Skiz
05-14-2005, 02:21 AM
I don't even knowwhat you're talking about. :blushing:

callum
05-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Wouldn't that just be sorta the same as clicking on new posts in the forum.

I can't really see the point of a rss feed on a forum.

tesco
05-14-2005, 02:38 AM
Wouldn't that just be sorta the same as clicking on new posts in the forum.

I can't really see the point of a rss feed on a forum.
I dunno either, sparsely said it would be good thouh, so i thoguht maybe some other members might like it too?

It's now installed, the easy stuff for all skins, and the more detailed stuff (like an rss button for each forum) is only in the synapse skin so far (lets see if anybody uses it first).

callum
05-14-2005, 02:45 AM
Having it for verifieds and nzbs seems like a good idea :)

Eveything else is ok to, I use opera and it displays the rss feeds, but i'm not sure if i'm right but i don't think internet explorer and maybe some other browsers display them. Isn't a news reader required then? Seems a bit of a hassle.

I read that on the bbc news website so i could be wrong :D

Vargas
05-14-2005, 02:49 AM
I dunno either, sparsely said it would be good thouh, so i thoguht maybe some other members might like it too?

It's now installed, the easy stuff for all skins, and the more detailed stuff (like an rss button for each forum) is only in the synapse skin so far (lets see if anybody uses it first).
could you draw me a map? i can't find it. :blink:

EDIT nevermind i found it (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=63) i think
yep good jorb

callum
05-14-2005, 02:51 AM
could you draw me a map? i can't find it. :blink:

In opera there is a blue box that says rss in it, it's right at the end of the address bar. Don't know about anything else.

tesco
05-14-2005, 03:13 AM
And in Firefox it's a little orange icon in the bottom right corner (on taskbar).
You will need an rss reader program/extension like Sage (http://sage.mozdev.com) to view it though.

uNz[i]
05-14-2005, 05:33 AM
I'm a huge fan of rss. I'd totally use it.

Edit: okay I found the feeds, and well... completely brilliant. :)
One small thing though... the Verifieds Section feed only gives links to the pinned topics, not the verifieds themselves... that's a bit odd, but I understand the verifieds are for members only...

For all you folks who don't know what to do to access the rss feeds, it's very easy using Firefox and the Sage extension which rossco has already linked to.

Install Sage, and restart FF as usual.
Go to the forum's index page (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/index.php?) and hit alt+s
Sage will open in the FF sidebar.
Click on the magnifying glass icon.
A discover feed window will open and autoscan for feeds.
Once they've been detected, the feed's names will appear.
Click on a feed's name and then click the add feed button.
You'll have to add the feeds one at a time.

The feed names will now appear in the FF sidebar in Sage's upper pane.
Click on one of the feed names to load the latest news from that particular feed.
You'll get the thread titles from the forum appearing in Sage's lower pane.
Click the thread titles to open the thread in the browser.

..and that's all there is to it.
There's tons of rss feeds on the web now, and if you don't see the point of them, then look at it like this.
You'll be able to sort the interesting stuff from the crap without actually going to a website and having all the eyecandy load.
Another cool thing is there's sites like digg.com, boing boing and del.icio.us, that provide rss feeds of cool or useful links.
You'll be among the first to hear of software releases, funny/cool stuff, breaking news... anything you like.

Try rss. Bet you'll like it once you get used to it. :)