PDA

View Full Version : IE7 Will Have Tabbed Browsing

RealitY
05-17-2005, 04:00 PM
from the sir-your-numbers-are-slipping dept.
loconet writes that early yesterday morning, "Dean Hachamovitch, IE product unit manager, confirmed that IE7, like Opera and Firefox first did years ago, will have tabbed browsing as one of its new features. Asa Dotzler,from Mozilla, points out that Dean reminds IE users who have not upgraded to XP that tabbed browsing can be added to IE through 3rd-party add-ons." cryptoz adds a link to this InformationWeek story which says that the tabs will be very "'basic' due to fears from Microsoft that tabbed browsing might scare off too many users. The feature is only being included because IE is slipping in the browser share market."
Source: Slashdot

Busyman
05-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Cool. I'll then be able to ditch my 3rd-party software.

I have tabbed browsing already in IE6.

lee551
05-17-2005, 05:48 PM
meh, they're too late. :schnauz:

Busyman
05-17-2005, 05:50 PM
meh, they're too late. :schnauz:
Not really. The browser is already theirs.

manker
05-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Not really. The browser is already theirs.IE already belongs to Microsoft. No shit?

I would imagine, from the blurb RealitY posted, that Microsoft won't be making the tabs default, more that the user can enable them if he or she wants. This would indicate that MS is still going to be aiming at the newbie end of the market and as such means that folk who make a living out of browser exploits will still target IE, regardless of further slips to their market share.

Good news for Firefox users.

Formula1
05-17-2005, 07:26 PM
good god i hate tabbed browsind. sometimes in firefox when i try to click open in a new window, i click open in a new tab instead. god i hate it. if anyone knows how i can disable it, please tell me :( im really serious :(

manker
05-17-2005, 07:54 PM
good god i hate tabbed browsind. sometimes in firefox when i try to click open in a new window, i click open in a new tab instead. god i hate it. if anyone knows how i can disable it, please tell me :( im really serious :(Don't know why you hate tabs but there is an extension to disable them.

Clicky. (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/tabkiller)

ziggyjuarez
05-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Don't know why you hate tabs but there is an extension to disable them.

Clicky. (http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/tabkiller)
thanks.tabs need to fuck off.

Barbarossa
05-18-2005, 08:46 AM
thanks.tabs need to fuck off.

:lol:

Anyone who installs this extension please take note... from the comments in the link, it sounds like that uninstalling the extension doesn't re-enable the Tabs.. :huh:

Skiz
05-18-2005, 08:52 AM
I can't see why anyone would prefer tabs. I agree with the past few comments that they SUCK! :pinch: :angry:

Viva la IE6 :01:

Chewie
05-18-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm another IE user that prefers to have separate open windows rather than tabs.
It's a nice idea to include it for those that prefer it and even better that it's optional.

Busyman
05-18-2005, 09:30 PM
IE already belongs to Microsoft. No shit?

I would imagine, from the blurb RealitY posted, that Microsoft won't be making the tabs default, more that the user can enable them if he or she wants. This would indicate that MS is still going to be aiming at the newbie end of the market and as such means that folk who make a living out of browser exploits will still target IE, regardless of further slips to their market share.

Good news for Firefox users.
I left out the word market. Sry. :(

Busyman
05-18-2005, 09:47 PM
good god i hate tabbed browsind. sometimes in firefox when i try to click open in a new window, i click open in a new tab instead. god i hate it. if anyone knows how i can disable it, please tell me :( im really serious :(
There are a number of 3rd party tabbed browsing add-on to IE.

I have tabs in IE for sometime now without one single hitch. The tabs aren't in the way of anything and you still have your IE interface left intact.

I used to use Webtabs but can't remember why I switched from that since that gave me no problems either.

You can get them off Kazaa pretty easy. ;)

MCHeshPants420
05-18-2005, 11:10 PM
That is good news. I hate going around to my n00b friend's houses and having to use untabbed browsing on their virus/spyware ridden computers.

99%
05-18-2005, 11:15 PM
That is good news. I hate going around to my n00b friend's houses and having to use untabbed browsing on their virus/spyware ridden computers.

amen

Busyman
05-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Tell me about it. :ermm:

If they'd only buy antispy/virus ware.

davec8
05-19-2005, 02:39 AM
I can't see why anyone would prefer tabs
:argue: I can't see why anyone would prefer multiple windows. Tabs make for faster, easier and more convenient surfing. Multiple windows are nothing but a pain in the ass. At least IE's finally taking a step in the right direction there.

erRor67
05-19-2005, 03:47 AM
Tell me about it. :ermm:

If they'd only buy antispy/virus ware.
Theres always free anti spyware/adware software such as SpyBot, Adaware and Microsoft AntiSpyware. ;)

Busyman
05-19-2005, 03:53 AM
Theres always free anti spyware/adware software such as SpyBot, Adaware and Microsoft AntiSpyware. ;)
Okaayyyyyyyyy.

Get antispy/virusware. :ermm:

Joakim Agren
05-19-2005, 04:16 AM
:argue: I can't see why anyone would prefer multiple windows. Tabs make for faster, easier and more convenient surfing. Multiple windows are nothing but a pain in the ass. At least IE's finally taking a step in the right direction there.

Hello!

Tabs simply are not practical for everyone!.

Me personally like to keep up to 20 web windows open at the same time and that is a hassle with tabs and also I like to open new pages in a new window not a new tab that is just annoying!.

I simply Preferr the IE way!!

Hopefully Tabs will just be an option in IE 7 and not the required way of surfing!!.

Rip The Jacker
05-19-2005, 04:38 AM
You said it. I can't imagine why in the world someone would perfer multiple windows over tabbed browsing. :ermm:

true_neo
05-19-2005, 09:09 AM
I know why someone might want to prefer multiple windows:

They like how having one IE instance crash crashes every single one of them
They like having 20 instances of iexplore.exe eat up 20 MB a piece of their swap file
They like having to click Alt+Tab 2 times to move to the next window instead of just Crtl+Tab once
They like having their taskbar cluttered, preferrably impossible to read the webpage titles, thus forcing them to click 15 windows to find the one their looking for
They like having to restart 19 windows once they apply a setting to the 20th window
And last, but not least: They think everything that doesn't have the Microsoft logo on it is a threat to the Galactic Empire, and must therefore be avoided at all costs.

XD

fuzzer
05-19-2005, 06:44 PM
This will be cool. I've seen longhorn, this will help get XP users closer.

Snee
05-19-2005, 07:06 PM
1. You don't need any extensions to turn tabs off in ff, you just need to change some settings so it always opens new windows or always uses just the one tab, but I dunno' why you'd want that.

2. There's something strange with you if you prefer multiple windows over multiple tabs, there are absolutely no benefits I can think of that would make it better.

I can think of a lot of reasons why it's worse, though.

Chewie
05-19-2005, 08:02 PM
2. There's something strange with you if you prefer multiple windows over multiple tabs, there are absolutely no benefits I can think of that would make it better.
I always have at least two windows open; when in forums, for instance, in one window I have the post list and I drag each link to the other window to open it.
This is just the way I prefer to browse. I have tried multi-tabbed browsers and cannot see any improvement over multi-windowed versions.

Busyman
05-19-2005, 08:10 PM
I always have at least two windows open; when in forums, for instance, in one window I have the post list and I drag each link to the other window to open it.
This is just the way I prefer to browse. I have tried multi-tabbed browsers and cannot see any improvement over multi-windowed versions.
I use multiple windows this same reason.

However I use tabs as well when I don't need to drag and drop.

Chewie
05-19-2005, 08:19 PM
I know why someone might want to prefer multiple windows:

They like how having one IE instance crash crashes every single one of them
They like having 20 instances of iexplore.exe eat up 20 MB a piece of their swap file
They like having to click Alt+Tab 2 times to move to the next window instead of just Crtl+Tab once
They like having their taskbar cluttered, preferrably impossible to read the webpage titles, thus forcing them to click 15 windows to find the one their looking for
They like having to restart 19 windows once they apply a setting to the 20th window
And last, but not least: They think everything that doesn't have the Microsoft logo on it is a threat to the Galactic Empire, and must therefore be avoided at all costs.

XD

I haven't seen an IE crash on my machine since IE6.
Like it? I don't worry about it because I'm not anal.
I like picking the window I want from the taskbar. I don't try to be uber-efficient with my keystrokes either, though, so counting any Alt+Tabs I may need to use in the fashion of an AOLer TXTing just doesn't happen here.
With Windows XP and Taskbar grouping, you will notice that only one button exists per application when things get 'tight' down there, thus ensuring two clicks is the maximum requirement.
When and why would I want to apply settings to an IE window? I don't think I've ever done that.
And last, but not least: I don't think that everything with an MS logo on it is spawn of the Devil and judge it on it's merits.

Snee
05-19-2005, 08:25 PM
You can do the same thing with tabs, in fact, when using something like maxthon, you can just drag the link, and another tab will automatically open to display the link.

Chewie
05-19-2005, 08:29 PM
You can do the same thing with tabs, in fact, when using something like maxthon, you can just drag the link, and another tab will automatically open to display the link.
You mean like IE's 'open in a new window' but with tabs? I don't like to do that, I like to open in another existing window.

Barbarossa
05-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Well I'm all for freedom of choice, i.e. allowing people to choose their own different ways of working... ;)

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Tabbed browsing (with Firefox) is much easier for me because I have multiple websites open at any one time plus all my favourite links are just above that in the bookmark toolbar. Less clutter and ease of use.

I get annoyed now if something opens in a new window (only happens occasionally) and will close it straight away and open it in a new tab.

It's all about what you prefer at the end of the day though. Whether you prefer a superior browsing experience or a clunky awkward mess.

Skiz
05-20-2005, 09:18 AM
I agree with Chewie 100%. IT'S JUST A PREFERENCE!!

Sheesh, you FF people are out of control. You think that your almighty FF browser is impervious to fault. That's it's infallible, "safer" browsing style is such a big deal. Anytime anyone has a single minute question about something in IE, the only responses are, "Dump your shitty IE browser and get FF" or something of it's likeness. All these FF clansmen and their 'Holier than thou' attitude is enough to make me want to stay with IE in itself. Like I said before, it's just a preference. I've tried FF on two separate occasions and went back to IE after getting frustrated with what I considered a lack of options with FF. Some of us just prefer windows. I don't really care if it's a window or a tab so long as it's on the bottom of the screen, that part is just what I'm used to.

Besides, the doggy runs to fast w/ FF if I remember correctly. :dog:

:P

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 09:27 AM

Sheesh, you FF people are out of control. You think that your almighty FF browser is impervious to fault. That's it's infallible, "safer" browsing style is such a big deal. Anytime anyone has a single minute question about something in IE, the only responses are, "Dump your shitty IE browser and get FF" or something of it's likeness. All these FF clansmen and their 'Holier than thou' attitude is enough to make me want to stay with IE in itself. Like I said before, it's just a preference. I've tried FF on two separate occasions and went back to IE after getting frustrated with what I considered a lack of options with FF. Some of us just prefer windows. I don't really care if it's a window or a tab so long as it's on the bottom of the screen, that's what I'm used to.

Exactly. It is all about preference, if a browser like FF is too difficult for people to use then they should stick with what they know. IE is there so anyone can get on the internet, even stupid people.

Skiz
05-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Exactly. It is all about preference, if a browser like FF is too difficult for people to use then they should stick with what they know. IE is there so anyone can get on the internet, even stupid people.

Hmmm...I don't seem to recall stating anything about difficulty, could you quote me that line please? :mellow:

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Hmmm...I don't seem to recall stating anything about difficulty, could you quote me that line please? :mellow:

You did, you just didn't realise it. ;)

Skiz
05-20-2005, 09:33 AM
You did, you just didn't realise it. ;)

I can assure you that I did not. I believe I hit closer to stating that it's simplicity is what I didn't like. ;)

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 09:37 AM
I can assure you that I did not. I believe I hit closer to stating that it's simplicity is what I didn't like. ;)

Thanks for proving my point.

what I considered a lack of options

Just because you can't find them doesn't mean they're not there. ;)

Skiz
05-20-2005, 09:44 AM

what I considered a lack of options

I have proved no point of yours at all, you are mearly attempting to manipulate my meaning.

All of the options that I use are already included in IE except one, a Flash saving plug-in which I easily found quite some time ago. Why would I want to get a browser that I have to try and setup like an already useful browser?? :unsure: Because it's "customizable"?? pffft!

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 09:59 AM

I have proved no point of yours at all, you are mearly attempting to manipulate my meaning.

All of the options that I use are already included in IE except one, a Flash saving plug-in which I easily found quite some time ago. Why would I want to get a browser that I have to try and setup like an already useful browser?? :unsure: Because it's "customizable"?? pffft! What a stupid concept.

Still sounds like you couldn't get to grips with FF. That's okay I guess.

Next time you try it (if you do) the help section has a "For Internet Explorer Users" guide so maybe you'll be able to find the options you could not find before.

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 10:01 AM

Spoken like a true luddite. :D

GepperRankins
05-20-2005, 12:03 PM
for mozilla users get QuickTabPrefToggle. it gets rid of the random new windows and stuff and turns mozilla firefox into a proper tabbed browser

manker
05-20-2005, 12:05 PM
If Firefox isn't a proper tabbed browser, what is.

GepperRankins
05-20-2005, 12:18 PM
slimbrowser :01:

but that somehow ground to a halt on my pc :blink: it's telling me there's an update but i'm used to mozilla now :mellow:

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 12:18 PM
for mozilla users get QuickTabPrefToggle. it gets rid of the random new windows and stuff and turns mozilla firefox into a proper tabbed browser

Cool, no more multiple windows at all now. I love you Firefox. :wub:

manker
05-20-2005, 12:21 PM
slimbrowser :01: Meh, that's what Yogi uses.

Busyman
05-20-2005, 01:53 PM

Sheesh, you FF people are out of control. You think that your almighty FF browser is impervious to fault. That's it's infallible, "safer" browsing style is such a big deal. Anytime anyone has a single minute question about something in IE, the only responses are, "Dump your shitty IE browser and get FF" or something of it's likeness. All these FF clansmen and their 'Holier than thou' attitude is enough to make me want to stay with IE in itself. Like I said before, it's just a preference. I've tried FF on two separate occasions and went back to IE after getting frustrated with what I considered a lack of options with FF. Some of us just prefer windows. I don't really care if it's a window or a tab so long as it's on the bottom of the screen, that part is just what I'm used to.

Besides, the doggy runs to fast w/ FF if I remember correctly. :dog:

:P
Furthermore, I always hear of folks having problems with FF. I don't have problems with IE on my home computer. ;)

GepperRankins
05-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Firefox has less options than IE? :ohmy:

i've been using it full time about a month and the only problem i've had is that yahoo launch doesn't work in it. i haven't really noticed any other differences apart from gifs going different speeds. mouse gestures rawks though :01:

being honest, if slimbrowser hadn't stopped working i wouldn't use mozilla now. there's no difference in the internet you browse (those who say it's faster are lying or don't understand how the internet works :snooty: ) though the plugins do rawk :D

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Furthermore, I always hear of folks having problems with FF.

Like I said, it is not for stupid people. Most people are stupid ergo they have problems with Firefox, they should stick with IE like you have done.

Yoga
05-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Netscape has released version 8.0.1

Busyman
05-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Like I said, it is not for stupid people. Most people are stupid ergo they have problems with Firefox, they should stick with IE like you have done.
Exactly.

However I do recommend the tabbed interface in IE. It's quite useful.

Try starting with Webtabs. Get it off Kazaa.

Chewie
05-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Hmm. Every contribution you have made to this thread has been completely lacking of any constructive comment. Every word has been spoken like a true preteen on a bandwagon heading in the general direction of Arroganceville, Ohio.

You have implied that I know nothing of computers and the internet and I resent that sort of label from a pre-pubescent.

You have posted nothing useful, certainly nothing constructive and most damningly of all, nothing we'll remember tomorrow.

You, sir, are a fucking muppet.

GepperRankins
05-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Exactly.

However I do recommend the tabbed interface in IE. It's quite useful.

Try starting with Webtabs. Get it off Kazaa.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i never really thought how stupid "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is until today. if the world worked like that we'd still be chasing our food off cliffs and cutting it with flint. in fact we wouldn't because no-one would have decided fire a hunting aid or getting at food any easier than just ripping it apart

Busyman
05-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Hmm. Every contribution you have made to this thread has been completely lacking of any constructive comment. Every word has been spoken like a true preteen on a bandwagon heading in the general direction of Arroganceville, Ohio.

You have implied that I know nothing of computers and the internet and I resent that sort of label from a pre-pubescent.

You have posted nothing useful, certainly nothing constructive and most damningly of all, nothing we'll remember tomorrow.

But you are not getting it. You should be using Firefox.

USe fIrEfOx :mellow:

UsE FiReFoX :mellow:

Chewie
05-20-2005, 07:21 PM

But you are not getting it. You should be using Firefox.

USe fIrEfOx :mellow:

UsE FiReFoX :mellow:
Your attempts at hypnotising me to do your wishes is doomed to fail - I am a father of three teenagers and quite used to spotting alterior motives behind innocent sounding words. :)

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 07:55 PM
i never really thought how stupid "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is until today. if the world worked like that we'd still be chasing our food off cliffs and cutting it with flint. in fact we wouldn't because no-one would have decided fire a hunting aid or getting at food any easier than just ripping it apart

I wonder if there were cavemen who were against the use of fire?

"Me no use flame to warm food, me eat food raw like always."

/caveman dies of food poisoning.

Skiz
05-20-2005, 08:11 PM
MCheshpants justs wants to throw out sensless jabber, so I guess I'll let him. :blink:

Furthermore, I always hear of folks having problems with FF. I don't have problems with IE on my home computer.

Busyman, with this comment I thought I was clear on your stance with this issue. However, every post since then has been to the contrary. :ermm:

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 08:15 PM

Sorry if I insulted your knowledge of computers, I'm sure you are great at turning your own PC on and adept at browsing the internet with which ever browser you choose. (I say "choose" but I really mean "installed with your OS when you bought your computer from PC World".)

I'm also sorry if my posts haven't been up to your own high standards, I try my best with what I've got. Perhaps one day people will remember my posts the next day, I can only hope to one day spark that much interest.

MCHeshpants420 (Age 12)
Arroganceville
Ohio.

PS Did you have help with that bit of name-calling at the end. It's a good insult. No really, it is.

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Busyman, with this comment I thought I was clear on your stance with this issue. However, every post since then has been to the contrary. :ermm:

I think Busyman might be employing a bit of sarcasm in his posts. God knows I am. ;)

MCheshpants justs wants to throw out sensless jabber, so I guess I'll let him.

Dang, and I haven't even started drinking yet. Maybe the drink will make me make sense...?

Doubtful. :(

Skiz
05-20-2005, 08:22 PM
This thread bores me now. :wave:

Busyman
05-20-2005, 08:48 PM
This thread bores me now. :wave:
Sure, ok, hey there, before ya go don't forget to

UsE FiReFox :mellow:

UuusE fIrEffOx :mellow:

Mmmk? Mmmmbyebye :wave:

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Sure, ok, hey there, before ya go don't forget to

UsE FiReFox :mellow:

UuusE fIrEffOx :mellow:

Mmmk? Mmmmbyebye :wave:

Hey, I started using Firefox last year. Four months later and I met my current girlfriend. Coincidence? I think not.

Firefox gets you laid.

tesco
05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Hey, I started using Firefox last year. Four months later and I met my current girlfriend. Coincidence? I think not.

Firefox gets you laid.

Busyman
05-20-2005, 10:56 PM

Firefox gets you laid.
That's a shit testimonial.

I mean, damn, it took four months for you to get a girlfriend? (and before FireFox, by your testimonial, no such luck either)

......Nvm, I've seen your picture. I guess that does bode well for using FireFox. Go FIREFOX!!!! :clap:

btw, how can you call her your girlfriend when she has sex with other peo....

nvm again, I hope it works out well for you and this "girlfriend". :mellow:

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 11:34 PM
That's a shit testimonial.

I mean, damn, it took four months for you to get a girlfriend? (and before FireFox, by your testimonial, no such luck either)

......Nvm, I've seen your picture. I guess that does bode well for using FireFox. Go FIREFOX!!!! :clap:

btw, how can you call her your girlfriend when she has sex with other peo....

nvm again, I hope it works out well for you and this "girlfriend". :mellow:

What is it like being stupid? I mean really, you so often miss the point of people's posts that you're either dumb as fuck or just...nah you're dumb as fuck and with half as much imagination.

GepperRankins
05-20-2005, 11:49 PM
i thought he was playing along. i mean after the kazaa joke i didn't think he took this thread serious :unsure:

MCHeshPants420
05-20-2005, 11:53 PM
i thought he was playing along. i mean after the kazaa joke i didn't think he took this thread serious :unsure:

He didn't have to insult my girlfriend though, I mean I haven't inferred that his mother is a hooker. She isn't. No, really she isn't.

IE obviously makes you less mentally stable. Another win for Firefox. :wub:

GepperRankins
05-20-2005, 11:57 PM
yep. it was IE stability that made me switch :cool:

Busyman
05-21-2005, 01:07 AM
What is it like being stupid? I mean really, you so often miss the point of people's posts that you're either dumb as fuck or just...nah you're dumb as fuck and with half as much imagination.
I didn't insult your girlfriend. There is nothing wrong with her having multiple partners.

btw, I understood your posts. Did you understand mine? I really didn't mean much by what I said, I mean with you finally getting this "girlfriend" and all.

Don't take stuff so seriously. You didn't get much flaming when you called folks that had problems with FF stupid. Get off the high-horse and go track down this "girlfriend" of yours. :mellow:

edit: I almost forgot...

GO FIREFOX!!!! :clap:

MCHeshPants420
05-21-2005, 01:23 AM
I didn't insult your girlfriend. There is nothing wrong with her having multiple partners.

btw, I understood your posts. Did you understand mine? I really didn't mean much by what I said, I mean with you finally getting this "girlfriend" and all.

Don't take stuff so seriously. You didn't get much flaming when you called folks that had problems with FF stupid. Get off the high-horse and go track down this "girlfriend" of yours. :mellow:

edit: I almost forgot...

GO FIREFOX!!!! :clap:

Trust me, she'd be insulted. You don't want a 5'2" Greek girl mad at you, hurts teh shins so it does. :ermm:

As for the rest, I hear you.

Go teh FF!!!111:01:

Formula1
05-21-2005, 01:28 AM
great now my tools->Extensions wont open in mozilla firefox..

MCHeshPants420
05-21-2005, 01:33 AM

What have you changed and have you tried safe-mode?

And are you a saboteur here to sabotage the sterling work I've done in promoting FF? :P

Busyman
05-21-2005, 01:44 AM
Watch it....you're going to be called stupid. :ermm:

MCHeshPants420
05-21-2005, 01:47 AM
Watch it....you're going to be called stupid. :ermm:

Nah, I think he's a plant. :shifty:

Chewie
05-21-2005, 04:47 AM

Nah, I think he's a plant. :shifty:
A vegetable should recognise one, no?

With so many of your twitterings I had to check the locdation of this thread. You'd better head beck to the Lounge before you get a nosebleed, boy.

MCHeshPants420
05-21-2005, 08:18 AM
A vegetable should recognise one, no?

With so many of your twitterings I had to check the locdation of this thread. You'd better head beck to the Lounge before you get a nosebleed, boy.

You're the one who sounds like they've taken a hit to the nose. 'Locdation', 'beck'? Plus a little concussion to boot, as you failed to make any sense.

I guess IE has no spell-checker or let's-make-some-fucking-sense checker. Still, I should feel glad you managed to type out your little message (next day...) at all.

manker
05-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Regurgitating hardware/software advice seems to make folk think they are intellectually superior to those who post mainly in the lounge. While the advice is very much appreciated the attitude is not. Some people merely prefer to talk about other things.

The use of alterior rather than ulterior a few posts up kinda gives away that Chewie is probably a bit thick, this in turn makes the condescending tone a bit ... silly. Someone needs advice on choosing a monitor in HardwareWorld. Chewie, you're normally a nice chap who doesn't resort to cheap labelling - I suggest you stick to what you know.

Busyman
05-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah Chewie, you are the wrong one here. No one did anything whatsoever to warrant this attitude. Nothing at all. :ermm:

btw......you like Greek women?

true_neo
05-21-2005, 01:17 PM
I haven't seen an IE crash on my machine since IE6.
Like it? I don't worry about it because I'm not anal.
I like picking the window I want from the taskbar. I don't try to be uber-efficient with my keystrokes either, though, so counting any Alt+Tabs I may need to use in the fashion of an AOLer TXTing just doesn't happen here.
With Windows XP and Taskbar grouping, you will notice that only one button exists per application when things get 'tight' down there, thus ensuring two clicks is the maximum requirement.
When and why would I want to apply settings to an IE window? I don't think I've ever done that.
And last, but not least: I don't think that everything with an MS logo on it is spawn of the Devil and judge it on it's merits.

Considering IE6 is the latest version out to the general public, you just owned yourself with that one :P
Oh, Im so sorry. Us anal people like fast computers, and try not to purposefully use apps that take too much system resources for our daily doings. Also, I sincerely doubt I was referring to you alone. Even though you may have a swap file as big as mine (or bigger), maybe not all comp newbies do.
Im sorry, your AOL jokes are lost on me. They don't have AOL in Norway.
And how many computer newbies have this enabled? It's not on by default, until the taskbar has more than 11 or so windows of the same type (on a 1024x768 screen, that is. Courtesy of school computers for this info). Again, I wasn't referring to you alone.
Again, I wasn't referring to you alone.
And last, but not least; I do judge an app based on its performance/security, thats why Im dissing IE.

GepperRankins
05-21-2005, 02:16 PM
just try mouse gestures. tis good

and the taskbar lists are annoying, really annoying

enoughfakefiles
05-21-2005, 05:26 PM

Firefox gets you laid.

My four months in nearly up. :D

/me waits for a knock at the door. :shifty:

Skiz
05-22-2005, 01:52 AM
Yeah Chewie, you are the wrong one here. No one did anything whatsoever to warrant this attitude. Nothing at all.

Please tell me you're kidding. :ermm:

Chewie
05-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Considering IE6 is the latest version out to the general public, you just owned yourself with that one :P
Oh, Im so sorry. Us anal people like fast computers, and try not to purposefully use apps that take too much system resources for our daily doings. Also, I sincerely doubt I was referring to you alone. Even though you may have a swap file as big as mine (or bigger), maybe not all comp newbies do.
Im sorry, your AOL jokes are lost on me. They don't have AOL in Norway.
And how many computer newbies have this enabled? It's not on by default, until the taskbar has more than 11 or so windows of the same type (on a 1024x768 screen, that is. Courtesy of school computers for this info). Again, I wasn't referring to you alone.
Again, I wasn't referring to you alone.
And last, but not least; I do judge an app based on its performance/security, thats why Im dissing IE.

This is more like it... reasoned discussion!
How can I own myself by suggesting that someone is wrong to suggest IE6 crashes all the time? Exactly how am I proving someone else's point?
When I say 'in the fashion of an AOLer TXTing' I am referring to the way that a lot of UK 10-15 year olds type as they would construct a mobile phone text message - with efficiency in mind. On another forum I frequent they refer to this as AOL text.
What I mean is that I have a gig of memory & a trayful of icons from Gainward's gfx chip tool to bluetooth and I don't sit here thinking, "shit, I need to free up 60 megs!"
Taskbar grouping has been on as default on all the systems I've installed - it must be because to turn it off I'd need to hunt for the option!
You were referring to me as a member of a group of know-nothings because I prefer IE. What I would like you to understand is that you cannot 'tar everyone with the same brush'. Because a lot of computer users that are less knowledgeable than yourself use IE, you cannot assume that all IE users are just because they use it.
Making your list and stating 'They like...' for every point is most certainly referring to all IE users at once. Using 'Many of them...' or 'A lot of them...' would be more appropriate, especially when you're being demeaning and the only basis for your assumptions are your personal views on IE.
I'm glad that you judge software on certain criteria as this shows independance of thought which is sadly lacking nowadays.
Just for the record, I have only seen one unauthorised toolbar (I did put ebay's on but took it off after a day) on my system and can't remember the last time my AV or antispy programs found anything more than a cookie and I've been using IE since v4. I know there are security issues and I know it's not the most efficient with resources but I like using it because it does the job the way I want it to do it, rather than me having to adapt to the way the browser works.

Chewie
05-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Regurgitating hardware/software advice seems to make folk think they are intellectually superior to those who post mainly in the lounge. While the advice is very much appreciated the attitude is not. Some people merely prefer to talk about other things.

The use of alterior rather than ulterior a few posts up kinda gives away that Chewie is probably a bit thick, this in turn makes the condescending tone a bit ... silly. Someone needs advice on choosing a monitor in HardwareWorld. Chewie, you're normally a nice chap who doesn't resort to cheap labelling - I suggest you stick to what you know.
Heh, this ain't the Lounge, manker.
If you believe what you read in this thread, I can't be intellectually suuperior and use IE. Well, I suppose not at the same time, anyway.

Thanks for the appraisal... '...a bit thick' LOL. I never was any good at spelling - or perhaps I should just claim I'm Danish or something...

I don't usually use a condescending tone but if I'm being 'dissed' for (of all stupid things) my choice of browser, I don't give a shit how I come across.

Skiz
05-22-2005, 07:29 AM
This is more like it... reasoned discussion!
How can I own myself by suggesting that someone is wrong to suggest IE6 crashes all the time? Exactly how am I proving someone else's point?
When I say 'in the fashion of an AOLer TXTing' I am referring to the way that a lot of UK 10-15 year olds type as they would construct a mobile phone text message - with efficiency in mind. On another forum I frequent they refer to this as AOL text.
What I mean is that I have a gig of memory & a trayful of icons from Gainward's gfx chip tool to bluetooth and I don't sit here thinking, "shit, I need to free up 60 megs!"
Taskbar grouping has been on as default on all the systems I've installed - it must be because to turn it off I'd need to hunt for the option!
You were referring to me as a member of a group of know-nothings because I prefer IE. What I would like you to understand is that you cannot 'tar everyone with the same brush'. Because a lot of computer users that are less knowledgeable than yourself use IE, you cannot assume that all IE users are just because they use it.
Making your list and stating 'They like...' for every point is most certainly referring to all IE users at once. Using 'Many of them...' or 'A lot of them...' would be more appropriate, especially when you're being demeaning and the only basis for your assumptions are your personal views on IE.
I'm glad that you judge software on certain criteria as this shows independance of thought which is sadly lacking nowadays.
Just for the record, I have only seen one unauthorised toolbar (I did put ebay's on but took it off after a day) on my system and can't remember the last time my AV or antispy programs found anything more than a cookie and I've been using IE since v4. I know there are security issues and I know it's not the most efficient with resources but I like using it because it does the job the way I want it to do it, rather than me having to adapt to the way the browser works.

Amen brotha. http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/misc/notworthy.gif

Chewie
05-22-2005, 07:29 AM
Yeah Chewie, you are the wrong one here. No one did anything whatsoever to warrant this attitude. Nothing at all. :ermm:
Eh?

btw......you like Greek women?
Dunno, never knowingly met any, although my wife is half Italian... does that count?

pandapop
06-01-2005, 12:23 PM
i like the tabs. saves space along the taskbar when im browsing alot of pages