PDA

View Full Version : Changed CPU now i get lots of BSOD's Help

DarkClown12
05-18-2005, 02:30 AM
I recently upgraded my cpu from a athlon xp 1800+ to a athlon xp 2400+ to get faster performace. I will run my computer and sometimes it freezes during boot-up, or it freezes while in winodws. or most of the time that it runs i get the BSOD after leaving on for a while. The BSOD's i have got so far are these :
Stop: 0x0000007A
Stop: 0x00000077
Stop: 0x000000F4

I really want get this problem resolved and can't figure out how. Hope you guys can help me end this one and for all.

My system Specs:
Asus A7N8X-E
1 Gig Cosair PC3200 DDR Ram
Geforce FX 5200 256MB Vid Card
200 Gig SeaGate H.D.
Athlon XP 2400+ (Was Athlon XP 1800+)
Windows XP Corp with SP2

If you need anymore infor just ask.

Thank You
DarkClown12

clocker
05-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Ok, the obvious first choice would be to reexamine the hardware install, particularly the heatsink.
Second would be the power supply ( possible, but not probable).

Lastly would be the software environment.
I think the most common problem would be some sort of infestation (trojan, etc).
Reinstall Windows and all drivers.

DarkClown12
05-18-2005, 05:25 PM
thanks, i will try you suggestions, but the only reason i dont want to reinstall windows is because i will loose lots of files and hav nothing to put them on right now. also before my computer gets ready to give me a BSOD the harddrive makes a funny noise like it is trying hard to load something. Hope this helps!

lynx
05-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Check your IDE cables. It's possible you may have dislodged/damaged the cable to your HDD during cpu installation.

Check your event log for errors too. There may be something which will give a clue about the problem.

Check the NORTHBRIDGE heatsink, if you've disturbed it the northbridge chip may be overheating.

DarkClown12
05-18-2005, 05:52 PM
How can i check the event log? The cables are snug and secure. Also it isn't a stock fan the fan i have is the Volcano 12.. Hope this helps more thanx.

RPerry
05-18-2005, 07:19 PM
How can i check the event log? The cables are snug and secure. Also it isn't a stock fan the fan i have is the Volcano 12.. Hope this helps more thanx.

Start/ administrative tools/ event viewer

Virtualbody1234
05-18-2005, 07:32 PM
The cables are snug and secure.

Here we go again with Darkclown... Don't you have spare cables you could try?

Virtualbody1234
05-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Check the NORTHBRIDGE heatsink, if you've disturbed it the northbridge chip may be overheating.

Also it isn't a stock fan the fan i have is the Volcano 12

A Volcano 12 doesn't fit on the northbridge. :frusty:

Chewie
05-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Does the hard drive make a loud click just before the BSOD?
Is the computer difficult to start again after the BSOD? I mean, do you have to wait a while, unplug the power cord or anything unusual before it'll start again?

DarkClown12
05-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Yes it does make a click, click, click sound and yea i do have to do some of those things before it starts back up. so to answer your questions yes, also takes forever to get it to start up after a BSOD.

Chewie
05-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Your hard drive is fucked mate.
Don't piss around, just get another one.

DarkClown12
05-19-2005, 08:28 PM
it is still under warrenty for 2 years , so i guess i need to go switch it out, which means i have to find someway to get my data off of this one which is a lot of data.

DarkClown12
05-19-2005, 08:28 PM
should i format it before i take it back or not?

Chewie
05-19-2005, 08:30 PM
If you can get it running long enough to format it, give it a go.

DarkClown12
05-19-2005, 08:36 PM
it is runnig right now, but i need data of of it and not sure wut to do as i don't hav another harddrive big enugh to put it on, i guess i would format it at the cmd prompt, but really don't want cause 200 gigs takes a while. is there any other way that is faster?

clocker
05-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Killmbr 0

Peerzy
05-19-2005, 10:14 PM
After viewing this thread i've changed my mind and choosen against purchasing a Darkclown 2.0 because there shyte.

He's using a heat sink that doesn't fit, hasn't given much info and hasn't bothered to try replacement parts.

DarkClown12
05-19-2005, 10:28 PM
you guys told me it was a bad h.d. , so there you go.

Virtualbody1234
05-19-2005, 10:39 PM
And you still haven't said what you're going to do. :frusty:

DarkClown12
05-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Well here is the truth yes it is under warrenty, i can take the bad h.d. back and get a replacement on the spot. But i can't afford to take it back yet because there are some things i need off of it before i take it back. I don't have ne extra harddrives to put the data on except a lil 30 gig, a 9 gig, and a 6 gig, but i am not sure if that is enough room to store the data i have on this one which is why i hesitate to take it back. So if anyone can give me advice on what to do with the data help would be gr8t.

Thanks DarkClown12

Chewie
05-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Actually, it wasn't us guys, it was just me. It is definitely the hard drive, though.

What to do?
Buy another 200GB drive, transfer what you can, reformat or kill the master boot record, swap out and sell one of them.

Anything else?

DarkClown12
05-19-2005, 11:00 PM
lets looks at each idea.
1: buy another 200G drive : don't have the cash to get one right now.
2: reformat this one; i will lose all my data so i don't want to do that.
3: kill the master boot record: if i do this i have two question how do i do it and also will i lose my data?

Chewie
05-19-2005, 11:04 PM
lets looks at each idea.
1: buy another 200G drive : don't have the cash to get one right now.
2: reformat this one; i will lose all my data so i don't want to do that.
3: kill the master boot record: if i do this i have two question how do i do it and also will i lose my data?
Yes you'll lose the data.

Let's look at the facts:
- you have a dying hard drive.
- you have stuff on it you want to keep
- you haven't got anywhere to put that stuff
- you don't have the money to buy something to put that stuff on

After consideration of available facts, the conclusion I have come to is thus: you're gonna lose everything in the near future when the hard drive fails completely.

Peerzy
05-19-2005, 11:08 PM

Read above, a member told you your heat sink was the wrong one way before we told you your hdd could be fucked. Also if you had noticed we are not one person. One person told you that your heat sink was wrong and another totally different person told you it is possibly your hard drive, and this is a totally different person mocking you.

DarkClown12
05-19-2005, 11:21 PM
I see all of your points and should take the harddrive back.... so wut is fastest way 2 format all data?

Peerzy
05-19-2005, 11:30 PM
DarkClown, CHANGE YOUR FUCKING HEATSINK

lynx
05-19-2005, 11:45 PM
@Peerzy, he didn't know what a Northbridge heatsink was, so he quoted his cpu HSF. That's not the same thing as having the wrong heatsink.

@Darkclown12, what is all this data you want to save? Music? Video?
Have you got a DVD burner? If yes, back it up to DVD.
Otherwise, These people can probably help you with backups: music (http://www.mpaa.org) or video (http://www.riaa.com)

Peerzy
05-20-2005, 12:18 AM
@Peerzy, he didn't know what a Northbridge heatsink was, so he quoted his cpu HSF. That's not the same thing as having the wrong heatsink.

Ahhh okay, either way might be a good idea to change back to default just to check, i'd rather spend 10 minutes checking all my parts than lose 200gb worth of stuff and £80 getting a new hard drive.

skrewler
05-20-2005, 12:23 AM
First thing I'd do is run memtest and make sure my memory hasn't gone bad for whatever reason..

Virtualbody1234
05-20-2005, 01:49 AM
You should run drive diagnostics to be sure that the HDD is at fault. Go to the makers web site and look for the free test (usually a diskette). For example... Maxtor test software is called Powermax. Use the correct one for your make.

DarkClown12
05-20-2005, 04:40 PM
ok i will do that thanx. mine is made by seagate.

Chewie
05-20-2005, 07:10 PM
OK, OK.
DC posted a vague description of his problem, I posted asking two questions that he answered 'yes' to, and when I say the HDD is fucked, people still talk about checking heatsinks and testing RAM.

Did you lot think I pulled those questions from the fucking ether? No, I've seen exactly this twice in the last year - oddly, both with WD HDDs so I've silently avoided them :).

Think about it... the computer sits there doing nothing, the HDD makes a loud (and it's very loud for a HDD) click or two and there's a BSOD.
With the first system I looked at with this problem, I came to the conclusion that removing the power cord for a short time let capacitors in the drive discharge and it reset itself to some internal configuration that it could run from.

DC. take the drive out, put it into another computer as slave and try looking at or playing some files from it for a while. That's what I did and both drives failed again.

DarkClown12
05-20-2005, 08:58 PM
ok i will put as slave and play aronud with it, and stuff, i think i will eventually go switch it out and get a new one for it.

Peerzy
05-20-2005, 09:06 PM
OK, OK.
DC posted a vague description of his problem, I posted asking two questions that he answered 'yes' to, and when I say the HDD is fucked, people still talk about checking heatsinks and testing RAM.

Did you lot think I pulled those questions from the fucking ether? No, I've seen exactly this twice in the last year - oddly, both with WD HDDs so I've silently avoided them :).

Think about it... the computer sits there doing nothing, the HDD makes a loud (and it's very loud for a HDD) click or two and there's a BSOD.
With the first system I looked at with this problem, I came to the conclusion that removing the power cord for a short time let capacitors in the drive discharge and it reset itself to some internal configuration that it could run from.

DC. take the drive out, put it into another computer as slave and try looking at or playing some files from it for a while. That's what I did and both drives failed again.

There is no way you an be 100% sure it is the hard drive or just the hard drive and not other things as well without looking and testing the pc yourself.

Chewie
05-21-2005, 04:52 AM
There is no way you an be 100% sure it is the hard drive or just the hard drive and not other things as well without looking and testing the pc yourself.
With all due respect, Peerzy... bollocks.
:)

So there's no connection between the noise and the BSOD? How did I guess he had problems restarting? I've seen it twice before and with these exact symptoms being so peculiar, I'd say 100% it's the HDD.
If it ain't I'll eat one of pete's kittens. :)

lynx
05-21-2005, 10:44 AM

So there's no connection between the noise and the BSOD? How did I guess he had problems restarting? I've seen it twice before and with these exact symptoms being so peculiar, I'd say 100% it's the HDD.
You are probably right about the HDD being at fault.

I just can't get my head round why you are so insistent that he shouldn't try some diagnostics, they can't make the situation any worse and will almost certainly confirm the true source of the problems.

Peerzy
05-21-2005, 12:24 PM

Well if his HDD is going, and will have died within the next say month, but the BSOD's were caused by another part as well then replacing the hard drive wouldn't have fixed his original problem. It could be a multitude of problems not just 1 part.

With the half assed badly typed infomation he has given us i cannot see how you can say it is 100% the hard drive and nothing else is wrong/causing other problems.

clocker
05-21-2005, 12:47 PM
I'll get the kitten ready.

Will medium rare do?

Chewie
05-21-2005, 03:31 PM
DC mentioned the hard drive makes a noise as if it's trying to load something right before a BSOD.
I described the noise exactly (which is a really loud click or three) and asked about another telltale, to which he replied he experiences.

The first thing I did with a system doing this was drop the drive into another box and run it on that until it BSODed (not long). Why DC hasn't tried this with the number of systems he must have at his disposal I can't imagine... unless they're all terminal! Mind you, the number of times he posts about faulty systems constantly amazes me.

Snee
05-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Otherwise, These people can probably help you with backups: music (http://www.mpaa.org) or video (http://www.riaa.com)
I thought it was the other way around.

lynx
05-21-2005, 04:15 PM
I thought it was the other way around.I'm not that mean. :naughty:

peat moss
05-21-2005, 06:41 PM

Hey meow ! Stop that. :lol: I'll tell you one thing I sure regret , its giving away or throwing out all my old hdd 's . Even an old 4.gb lying around can be a life saver. :(

clocker
05-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Even an old 4.gb lying around can be a life saver. :(
None of mine will float.

I just tried several times.

It was a Seagate too, so you'd think it would be watertight.

Now I'm pissed and my hamster is dead.

He's prolly a little bit more pissed than I.