PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it? {Newsgroups}

Hanz™
05-18-2005, 06:53 PM
I am wondering how good newsgroups are...
I am getting 2mb unlimited broadband in about 4 days time, and am wondering if it is worth me getting newsleecher and a subscription with newshosting.com.
I tried a "cracked" copy of newsleecher, but it wouldn't work it kept asking me to type in the key again, and then saying it had expired.
I also tried the Beta release and v2.1, but these all need a different key...
So it looks like I will have to buy it, is the supersearch worth having?
What are .nzb files, are they like .torrent files?
If they are, how can a .nzb file download something if it is not on the server you are subscribed to? *confused*

Should I stick with BT or get newsgroup access....

Are there any good alternatives to newsleecher

RealitY
05-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Newsgroups are well worth it and the best thing around in my opinion.

An NZB file tells your client where to go and what to get to alliviate any updating or searching.

You can easily find an NL app withough the troubles youve mention although you must HOST block also.

Also we have just signed upp for the referral program to assist in bringing some income to the site here although we havent set up any banners or the like as of yet and dont how or what we will doing as of yet although if you do setup an account with NewHosting it would be great if you would use our referral link as you would be the first one to...
http://www.newshosting.com/?a=51500

:) :)

Hanz™
05-18-2005, 07:18 PM
What do you mean by HOST block?
OK I'll use your referral link if I decide to do it...

{I}{K}{E}
05-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Get Newsleecher 1.0 :)

Newsgroups are the best :cool:

It's harder to learn then for example bittorrent or Emule. but when you find out how everything works you will never change back.

You will need a payserver if you want a server with a good retention. All free servers are crap :(

tesco
05-18-2005, 08:25 PM
they're great.
I haven't used them that much, but imo it's basically jsut like bittorrent only with faster speeds. :01:

RealitY
05-18-2005, 08:39 PM
What do you mean by HOST block?
1. Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
2. Open the file with Notepad then
3. Then add...

127.0.0.1 www.newsleecher.com

Hanz™
05-18-2005, 10:23 PM
1. Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
2. Open the file with Notepad then
3. Then add...

127.0.0.1 www.newsleecher.com

Why is this?

edit: Hmmm.... It stopped it from expiring. Clever...
Damn, I was gonna try Yottanews, but it seems not to be working (authentication problems)...

tesco
05-18-2005, 11:48 PM
what reality said above makes your computer reroute www.newsleecher.com to your own computer (127.0.0.1 = the ip it is to be routed too = your own computer)...i guess it's stopping the program from checking if you have a registered copy or not. :)

S!X
05-19-2005, 08:00 AM

It's harder to learn then for example bittorrent or Emule. but when you find out how everything works you will never change back.

You will need a payserver if you want a server with a good retention. All free servers are crap :(

My friend showed my how to use "Xnews" and its pretty easy. I dont use it tho since I cant find anything im looking for. :dry:

Hanz™
05-19-2005, 10:09 AM
what reality said above makes your computer reroute www.newsleecher.com to your own computer (127.0.0.1 = the ip it is to be routed too = your own computer)...i guess it's stopping the program from checking if you have a registered copy or not. :)
Yeah, I've used host blocks before, but I never thought they could be used to stop something from checking whether it is registered or not...
Clever.

Hanz™
05-21-2005, 10:52 AM
NewsHosting will accept PayPal payment for 6 and 12 month accounts for both Limited and Unlimited accounts.
PayPal payments can be made to [email protected] .
All PayPal payments MUST be made in USD. PayPal will calculate this for you.

Please supply the following info with your payment:

NEW ACCOUNTS:
Name:
Address (Street):
Address (City):
Address (State):
Address (Zip):
Phone:
Desired Username:
Alt Username:
Email Address:
Account Type: (Unlimited / 60GB Limited) Rate Length: (6 / 12 months)

When your payment and info is received I will send you an e-mail with account info.

CURRENT ACCOUNTS:
Customer ID # (NEWSxxxxx):
Account Name:
Account username:

You will need to keep track of your usage / account status via the control panel (https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/). If you feel you will run out of data before your rate terms you will need to make sure your next payment is here before you need it. It is your responsibility to make sure your account has a credit on file when it is time for your account to renew or your account will be turned off until payment arrives. There are no grace periods for e-mail billing (check / PayPal payment) accounts.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I wrote an email to them (newshosting.com) asking abut alternate methods of paying and it seems that they do allow you to pay by paypal, so if there was anybody who wasn't using them just because they didn't have the correct credit card, now you have no excuse.

RealitY
05-23-2005, 06:07 AM
I wrote an email to them (newshosting.com) asking abut alternate methods of paying and it seems that they do allow you to pay by paypal, so if there was anybody who wasn't using them just because they didn't have the correct credit card, now you have no excuse.
Just out of curiosty could you ask them if our referral still applies in that situation..

Filliz
05-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Banner looks really nice and it's cool how it only shows in the Newsgroup section. :)
But I'm still sticking with Easynews though cause I got no use for an Unlimited account anyway,otherwise I might've signed up with them through here.

Just out of curiosity,do they offer webbased access to usenet as well?

cobrav2
05-25-2005, 07:44 PM
I've been reading up on newsgroups and i was wondering
A) what sort of prices are you happy paying for newsgroups
and
B) if you can get fast otrrents would it be a better idea to use them instead?

{I}{K}{E}
05-25-2005, 08:08 PM
I've been reading up on newsgroups and i was wondering
A) what sort of prices are you happy paying for newsgroups
and
B) if you can get fast otrrents would it be a better idea to use them instead?

I pay 7,50 euro.

If you pay per GB then it's better to use torrents with a decent speed ;)

Peerzy
05-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Pay unlimited and get stuff faster, no uploading, and more avaiable. You'll forget how to use torrents.

Hanz™
05-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Banner looks really nice and it's cool how it only shows in the Newsgroup section. :)
But I'm still sticking with Easynews though cause I got no use for an Unlimited account anyway,otherwise I might've signed up with them through here.

Just out of curiosity,do they offer webbased access to usenet as well?

Limited accounts have access to WebNews.
Unlimited accounts NO NOT have access to WebNews.

I did a search for "Filesharingtalk" for a referral account and found none. If you can send me their ID# or the link of their site to us I will be happy to give them the credit.
BTW since I have a 2mbit line is it more worth it that I get unlimited or a limited connection.
Considering I probably not stretch there unlimited line by very much....???
Is there a good quantity of stuff available at newshosting, is there more available than on most bittorrent sites and iRC.
Has everything been labelled properly, I am getting sick and tired of people recompressing Release names so that you cannot see who made the release and so on.
How many MP3's are there on there?
Is it worth cancelling my DVD-Rental subscription to get this instead?

{I}{K}{E}
05-27-2005, 07:15 PM
How many MP3's are there on there?
Is it worth cancelling my DVD-Rental subscription to get this instead?

It's not like kazaa. you need to wait until someone uploads what your looking for. but there are alot of albums posted!!

Peerzy
05-27-2005, 08:31 PM
In the main MP3 groups theres upwards of 6 million files and about half a million new ones posted each day. Its worth getting the unlimited as theres hardly a price difference and you will use it.

Everything is labled right, theres no fakes and maybe 2-3 viruses out of those 6 million files.

Cancel your DVD Rental thing buy 200 dvd-rs and start leeching.

paranoidandroi
06-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Newgroups are great, to be honest, been using them for years. The only bad thing about them now, to be honest, is that so many other people are becoming aware of them. If you want them to be around and as good as they are for a good while yet, I suggest all of you STOP telling everyone you know how wonderful they are, because you'll only be hastening their demise. :(

Hanz™
06-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Decided to switch as soon as I get to the end of my DVD-Rental list...
I've been getting alot through the Rental service to be honest...

lcrt
06-04-2005, 07:08 PM

thanks

Hanz™
06-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Got it finally.
Unfortunately due to the release of GTA:SA it seems like the net is very slow....
So I don't get to see what full speed is.