PDA

View Full Version : System Stability

Duffman
05-18-2005, 09:07 PM
I need some help here, ever since I got the new motherboard I've been having odd, problems. Stability issues, not really crashing, but more like getting booted from the internet, at first I thought that was the router, but my linux box keeps its connection.

I think that could also be the driver for the onboard lan. It could be a problem with the actual lan port.

Also the machine has been running slower, and Im getting a lot of not responding issues.

I didn't reinstall windows when I got this new motherboard, because it was an RMA of the old one. Could that be it?

The only other things that have changed were...
I had a problem getting the memory to run dual channel, it wouldn't boot.

Maybe a BIOS update is in order.

I need help pinpointing this problem, because I really don't have the time nor the energy to start poking blindly at this updating drivers, and things, I'd like to know what needs fixing.

RPerry
05-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Its always wise to do a re-install when changing MB's. It could be that your having driver issues.

lynx
05-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Its always wise to do a re-install when changing MB's. It could be that your having driver issues.

I didn't reinstall windows when I got this new motherboard, because it was an RMA of the old one. No need to reinstall.

But certainly go for the bios update, and also check for driver updates, there are sometimes subtle differences between different releases of the same mobo.

A little more info about your configuration would be helpful. Well, any info actually. I take it we are actually talking about a computer here, you were a little vague. :dry:

Duffman
05-19-2005, 01:27 AM
I knew I forgot something... lol

Its a...
Abit NF7-S2 or version 2 or whatever
AMD 2500 @ 3200
1 gig of Kingmax ram
and a Powercooler 9800 Pro.

Virtualbody1234
05-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Drop it down to stock speeds and see if the problem persists.

Duffman
05-19-2005, 01:50 AM
Hmm.. maybe since I can't get it to boot in dual channel mode the memory is messing with the overclock?

clocker
05-19-2005, 01:53 AM
Pull out all but one stick and see.

Duffman
05-19-2005, 02:05 AM
Maybe I had the wrong slots, but it seemed whenever the was a stick in the middle socket it wouldn't boot, tomarrow ill take a closer look, maybe theres a small defect block it from being seated correctly, plastic spill over or something.

lynx
05-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Which board is it?

The NF7-S2 is NOT the same as NF7-S Version 2.0, and the NF7-S2 is very poor for overclocking. If you had an NF7-S version 2.0 before, make sure they haven't replaced it with the NF7-S2.

Only 2 dimm slots are allowed to be used when using DDR400 memory. Also, I believe you have to use identical dimms in slots 1&3 or 2&3, but not 1&2, if you want dual channel mode. I'm sure someone who's got/had one can confirm this.

Duffman
05-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Uhh I have two Identical slots, how can I check the model of the motherboard, I have the manual but if they sent me a similar but not the same one that doesn't help.

Duffman
05-19-2005, 01:55 PM
according to the diagrams in the manual, its either and nfs2 or nf7s2g

Virtualbody1234
05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
For the model... Don't refer to the manual. Look directly on the board.

http://www.abit.com.cn/MotherBoard/SocketA/NF7-S2/l43.jpg

skrewler
05-20-2005, 12:29 AM
Run memtest86. do a google for it, should be first one on the list. Memory is always the first thing I look at when there are stability issues.

lynx
05-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Run memtest86. do a google for it, should be first one on the list. Memory is always the first thing I look at when there are stability issues.Reading through the thread is useful too. He's already found the cause of the instability, but is now querying which mobo they've sent as a replacement. :frusty:

Edit: Memtest86 would not have helped. In any case, actually memory errors are fairly rare. Memtest86 is useful when there's a glitch on one chip on a dimm, but it won't find the cause of a configuration problem.

Duffman
05-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Ok I ran prime 95 overnight, and system was rebooted over night. I think i'm oging to format the c drive, because its accidently put a few programs on there and stuff, also Im gonna mess around with the memory get dual channel mode to work and well see what happens.

clocker
05-20-2005, 12:22 PM
I think i'm oging to format the c drive, because its accidently put a few programs on there and stuff
Those "few programs" aren't Windows perchance?
What is "IT" and how is "IT" installing programs?

Virtualbody1234
05-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Those "few programs" aren't Windows perchance?
What is "IT" and how is "IT" installing programs?
It's magic. :lookaroun

clocker
05-20-2005, 02:22 PM
It's magic. :lookaroun
Ah, that would explain a lot.

"IT" is afflicting me this morning also.
Turn on the PC and Windows claims that my hardware has changed and my install must be re-activated.
Furthermore, my key has been used too many times so I'm supposed to call and do this over the phone.

Humorously enough, this is the first authentic, legal version of XP that I've ever owned and it's only been installed once, on this very set of components.

I never had one whit of trouble with all my key-genned installations, now my legal ( and semi-expensive) XP Pro is being stupid.

No wonder people pirate this crap...it works better than the real version.

Virtualbody1234
05-20-2005, 04:24 PM
No wonder people pirate this crap...it works better than the real version.
Eggzackery!

Duffman
05-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Fine, Fine, the it is me and I forgot the change the c:\ to e:\ a few times. /me cries.

And in update news:
Didn't last the night in Prime 95, will be formatted after I work out the hardware problems. Will report back on the dual channel woes shortly.

Duffman out.

Duffman
05-20-2005, 08:51 PM
Now all I can say is what the fuck is going on. I finally got this thing to boot with both sticks in the dual channel slots, 1 and 2, and it only reads 512 mb of memory, after dual channel it should say 2 gigs.

Duffman
05-21-2005, 03:27 AM
Tomarrow I call ABIT, pen and pad ready to take down names and ready to ask for supervisors. If they say this motherboard has to be replaced, oh god can only help them, I will raise hell, and I am not paying another 8 dollars for shipping or waiting 2 weeks.

lynx
05-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Now all I can say is what the fuck is going on. I finally got this thing to boot with both sticks in the dual channel slots, 1 and 2, and it only reads 512 mb of memory, after dual channel it should say 2 gigs.
It won't say 2GB because you haven't got 2GB, but it should certainly be saying 1GB.

Have you done as clocker suggested and tried one stick at a time? Try it with one stick in slot 1. If that's ok, try it with the other stick in slot 1. If it is still ok, try it with the first stick in slot 2 (and slot 1 empty). That way you rule out any possibility that you've blown one of your memory sticks, and you also check out both slots 1 & 2. Probably a good idea to check out slot 3 while you are at it.

Btw, I thought the dual channel slots were 1 & 3, not 1 & 2, but I may be mistaken.

Duffman
05-22-2005, 04:00 AM
Yeah I tried both sticks, and I before the rma it said 2048mb of memory.

lynx
05-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Yeah I tried both sticks, and I before the rma it said 2048mb of memory.
I can't understand how it can possibly say that if you've only got 1GB memory. :blink:

Duffman
05-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Yeah I thought that too, but I figured that with twice the bandwith maybe it just thought it was 2 gigs, never thought that much about it. But thats not the problem at hand. Im gonna take off the overclock now, and try the memory again I forgot to do that, if that doesn't work I'm gonna call abit.

Duffman
05-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Ok well Im formatting it now, I don't like windows media center, I think that's part of the problem, at least on the software side, I can get the thing to boot with a stick in slot 1, or slot 3, or 1 in slot 1 and 2 which only reads 512mb, or 1 and 3 which reads 1 gig, so thats good. I'll call abit tomarrow when they open and let you guys know.

Duffman
05-24-2005, 06:18 PM
*insert every curseword imaginable* 4 Fucking days Im trying to ge a hold of these duech bags. Saturday, closed, Sunday, Still closed. Monday got a hold of tech support, yeah your gonna have to talk to the RMA dept about sending it in, Call the rma dept, busy, dial 0 for operator, hits 0, busy, dial 0 for operator. And the same thing today.

Im am ready to kill.

clocker
05-24-2005, 07:14 PM
*insert every curseword imaginable*

Im am ready to kill.
I'll bet being abusive and hostile to them will really make them want to help you, too.

Having a coronary whilst on the phone should lend quite a bit of creedance to your claims also.

Duffman
05-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah, well when your mad you don't think rationally. But anyway they just scored some major points. They called me noticing that I was going to file an RMA but hadn't in 24 hours, and told me im eligable for a 2nd RMA, they'll second day ship me a motherboard replacment and a box with shipping lables to ship back this first one. So they broke even and no one got hurt.

clocker
05-24-2005, 10:05 PM
I still think the coronary would have been impressive.

Duffman
05-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Maybe next time, if your good.