PDA

View Full Version : Screens dying...

crysmileyguy!
05-19-2005, 05:53 PM
sceen goes black, then flashes on and off with like 30sec gap...

its a TFT screen.

can anyone tell me what this means?

its on like 12hours aday :unsure: :cry:

it then works after a few min but it just took about 10min to come back on so i think its getting worse :cry:

just started yesturday i thort it was a one off, but its not :cry:

its about 2 years old.

Shiranai_Baka
05-19-2005, 07:14 PM
probably is dying. I read that 2 years is quite long for LCDs.

Virtualbody1234
05-19-2005, 09:09 PM
What is with people lately? Again no make or model mentioned. :frusty:

Duffman
05-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Jeez I said sorry VB, /me cries

crysmileyguy!
05-20-2005, 12:22 AM
i dont realy see what the make/model has 2 do with it. i was just wanting to find out if its cos its getting old.

is there any way 2 stop it from doing this? and what makes it happen?

make is: hp
model is: pavilion f1523

skrewler
05-20-2005, 12:32 AM
RMA it

peat moss
05-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Before you do anything check the connectons on the monitor and on the puter. My crt was doing that and did n't notice till the kids were running by stomping . Sometimes is the easy things . :)

lynx
05-20-2005, 11:28 AM
i dont realy see what the make/model has 2 do with it. i was just wanting to find out if its cos its getting old.
Suppose Xyz LCD monitors only last 2 years, but Abc ones last 5 years.

If you've got a Abc monitor and there's nothing wrong with it you're going to be pretty pissed if we tell you it is probably too old, get a new one and find the same problem. On the other hand if you've got an Xyz monitor you are going to be wasting your time and ours if it is simply too old.

Try the monitor on another system. If you get the same problems the monitor is at fault, if they go away the monitor is fine so you need to look at your graphics card, or possibly something else on your base unit.

Does the monitor have a separate PSU? If so, check that too.

crysmileyguy!
05-20-2005, 02:36 PM
i tryed replacing the power lead to it be4 posting here but that didnt stop the problem.
my grafixs card has an extra port where i can plug up my tv to it, i have it plugged up all the time. should i turn that off and see if its some thing to do with that?
grafix card is 2 years old as well.

all so be4 i posted here i unplugged the screen while it was having the problem. it was only plugged in to the wall so i dont think its my pc.

harrycary
05-20-2005, 10:58 PM
do as posted before. try the monitor on another PC.

than, decide what to do or come back and ask more questions.

crysmileyguy!
05-20-2005, 11:36 PM
ok well, screens dead now i think. it just started flashing on and off with like 1sec grap, so i unplugged it for 5min plugged it backin then the light 2 show if its on or not just started flashing like mad... now its just staying like that.

iv tryed unplugging it from my comp and it just does the same (light 2 show if its on or off flashes loads)
i now moved my comp out of my room down stairs to use another screen, cos the screens to big for my desk up stairs (dam big back screens :pinch: )

i dont have another pc to try it on but since the screen does the same weather its plugged in 2 my comp or not and this other screen works on my comp i realy think its the screen which is dead.

im guessing ill have 2 buy a new screen 2moz any idea what type of stuff to look for in a screen? im not 2 sure what makes 1 good. i just go for how good the quality it shows.

edit: i just tested the screen out 2 see if it works still and it does... :pinch:
so i guess it just stops working for a while... could this be cos its old and getting over heated fast or something else?

lynx
05-21-2005, 10:20 AM
iv tryed unplugging it from my comp and it just does the same (light 2 show if its on or off flashes loads) The light flashes to show that it is powered on, but is not receiving a signal from your pc.

The TV-out uses different circuitry, so there's still a good possibility that there's a problem with your graphics card, although the rest of your pc is probably ok if the tv output is working.

Check your power options (in Settings/Control Panel/Power Options strangely enough). Set "Turn off monitor" and "System standby" to "Never", this may be the cause of the problem. Turn off power saving completely in bios setup, it is unnecessary. I've seen all sorts of weird things happen if both hardware and software are trying to control power saving, and for some reason I've yet to figure out they seem to start at random. Power saving does not usually turn off the tv-out circuit.