PDA

View Full Version : New Case Help

asmithz
05-20-2005, 02:34 AM
I got a new case, and installed everything into it. For some reason tho, the audio wont work. :blink: Also, theres the other things like audio connecter in the front of the case, i dont know how to install thoese. They have MIC-VCC. MIC-IN, GND, EAR L, EAR R. I dont know how thoese hook up, mabey i can hook my audio to that when if you can help me connect them. Please.

asmithz
05-20-2005, 03:45 AM
anyone, i need my audio :(

clocker
05-20-2005, 11:28 AM
What motherboard?

lynx
05-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Did you have Front Panel Audio connections on your previous case?

If so, you will either have to connect up the same things on your new case, or install jumpers on the mobo to enable the connectors on the rear panel.

As clocker says, we can't help unless you tell us which mobo. Also, the connectors you've listed aren't sufficient for full FPaudio connection, unless some of them are double connectors.

asmithz
05-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Im not sure what my mobo is, its just off the computer i bought. I bought a EMachines T3025 awhile back. The connecters were differnt, and i dont know where theses one go. :(

S!X
05-21-2005, 02:00 AM
Where gonna need the kind of mobo :ermm: It doesnt have a brand name or anything on it? (Mobo) :blink:

asmithz
05-21-2005, 03:06 AM
Trying to find it, looking around for the mobo name. I dont want to open it up right now. I think its Nforce 2 FIC AU-31

crysmileyguy!
05-21-2005, 03:12 AM
you could take out the sound part that was built in to ur old case then plug it back in to ur mother board and just leave it inside ur case hidden some where.

asmithz
05-21-2005, 03:17 AM
you could take out the sound part that was built in to ur old case then plug it back in to ur mother board and just leave it inside ur case hidden some where.

Is that why its not working, cuase the the front audio hook ups arnt connected?

crysmileyguy!
05-21-2005, 05:30 AM

yea, but i have no idea how 2 make it so u dont need that tho.

asmithz
05-21-2005, 05:47 AM
ok, cool i will hook it up tonight, if i can remember where it went :-p

lynx
05-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Is this your motherboard?

http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/images/k7m-nf18g.jpg

clocker
05-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Erm.....yes.

asmithz
05-22-2005, 01:16 AM
Sweet, working again. I hooked up the old front connecters. :) Thanks for that, now if i can get the ones in my new case to be hooked up instead.

@lynx, Yea thats my mobo. Any Ideas where each wire goese. I know that it goes behind the audio thing, just dont know witch pins each on connects to.

Also i have been having a terrible problem with heat. Like before, i had 2 fans and one exhust fan. Everything was fine. Now this new case, witch is like twice the size, it has 5 fans and the exhust fan, and it runs alot hotter.:blink:

lynx
05-22-2005, 09:39 AM
There isn't a manual available, so I'll have to make some assumptions that the connections are standard (they look as if they should be).

For reference we need a numbering system, so I'll start at top left with 1, top right = 2 and so on until bottom left = 9 and bottom right = 10. Pin 8 is absent.

The pins are:

1=Mic-In
2=Gnd
3=Mic-VCC
4=+5V
5=R-Out
6=R-Return
7=No Connection
8=missing
9=L-Out
10=L-Return

The first 3 the pins are pretty obvious since they match your connectors. There's nothing on pin 4.

The other connectors may be little more tricky. The output signal for the left and right channels has to go to the front panel and return to the board. This is so that when you insert a headphone plug you disconnect the rear panel audio.

If EAR-L and EAR-R are double connectors there's no problem, EAR-R simply goes on pins 5&6 and EAR-L goes on pins 9&10, but orientation may be important. Connect up EAR-R, connect a pair of speakers to the front panel and play something through the speakers. If you get sound through one of the speakers all is well. If not, remove the connector from pins 5&6, turn it around and put it back on, you should now get sound from one speaker. Now repeat this with EAR-L on pins 9&10, but you should be able to work out which way round it goes.

If EAR-L and EAR-R are single connectors there's no way to successfully connect them up and still have rear panel audio. If that's the case you will need a couple of jumpers and fit them across pins 5&6 and 9&10 as shown in the picture - you should be able to get them from any half-decent computer hardware supplier.

Regarding temps, more fans doesn't necessarily mean cooler running. There are some long threads about that if you care to search for them.

Edit: clarity.

clocker
05-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Regarding temps, more fans doesn't necessarily mean cooler running. There are some long threads about that if you care to search for them.

Yeah, you are back to square one, cooling-wise.
New case=new solution.

Lynx,
That's a beutifully written explanation of how to hook up the audio connectors.

Even I understood it.

GepperRankins
05-22-2005, 03:33 PM
on my nforce3 i couldn't get the sound to work with the front panel connected*. i think i did something with jumpers; can't remember if i had to short the front panel or remove them, sorry.

i followed the manual to the letter and tried different ways of connecting them but it just didn't work*

edit:-
http://img61.echo.cx/img61/9749/frontpanelsound8rx.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
i had to put jumpers where the grey bits are.

lynx
05-22-2005, 05:25 PM
For each of the output channels it works like this:

▄▄
audio chip───┘└───rear panel

If you place a jumper on the pins, you connect the audio chip to the rear panel.
If you want to use the front panel, you have to take a wire from the audio chip pin up to the front panel, and bring the matching return wire back to the rear panel pin.

┌─────┬
│┌─────front panel socket
││
││

When you insert the headphone jack it connects the jack to the audio chip and breaks the connection to the rear panel.

If you've got the wires the wrong way round you connect the front panel to the rear panel when you insert a jack plug into the front panel socket, which obviously doesn't work.

┌──────
│┌────┴front panel socket
││
││

asmithz
05-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Jezz Lynx, you are a great help. I havent done it yet, but i fully understand it. Thanks a bunch. :)

EDIT :01:It worked like a charm, thanks lynx, everything is working now. :D

clocker
05-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Oh Lynx, you're my hero!

Marry me, you tekkie stud muffin.