PDA

View Full Version : Security question

Skiz
05-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Ok, so my parents own a second home in NM in which they spend about a quarter of the year at by taking several 3-4 week trips every few months. Well, this past time they went up there, someone had broken in and it got my pops thinking about all the banking material etc. that he keeps on his PC there. He was questioning about what kind of information could someone get off the PC? Can they somehow get the passwords that he's been using online to his accounts, etc.? My first suggestion was that he just take the PC with him but they fly there a considerable amount so that's out of the question. I told him if he cleared all of his cache, temp folders, deleted cookies, etc. he would prolly be alright. Then I suggested using a program like GoToMyPC or PCAnywhere and just keep the files at his home computer, but then he's worried about his PC at the normal home. Sheesh, he worries too much I think.

Anyone have anythiing that they would suggest to ease his mind? Would clearing cookies, cache, etc. do the job?

Barbarossa
05-24-2005, 10:25 AM
What you are suggesting should work OK.. but if he's really that worried, I would suggest he gets a removable hard-drive that he can take eveywhere with him.

Peerzy
05-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Add a password on bootup. He would have to type it in everytime he turns the pc on, but without it no one can get in. Unless your common thief is also a world famous hacker, at which point you need to advise them to get some pussy.

Skiz
05-24-2005, 10:29 AM
What you are suggesting should work OK.. but if he's really that worried, I would suggest he gets a removable hard-drive that he can take eveywhere with him.

Are you refering to an external HD or an actual "removable" one?

99%
05-24-2005, 10:30 AM
clearing the cache & temp files is not enough
you could encrypt vital info
&
if deleting vital stuff - use a total wipe / eraser type of program

Skiz
05-24-2005, 10:32 AM
clearing the cache & temp files is not enough
you could encrypt vital info
&
if deleting vital stuff - use a total wipe / eraser type of program

Any recommendations?

99%
05-24-2005, 10:35 AM
no - i havent been into it.(time waster)
but what the others said about an external hardrive is good
but
wouldn't stuff he does anyway "be processed" thru the main hard disk? Hence still retrievable.

Barbarossa
05-24-2005, 10:36 AM

Are you refering to an external HD or an actual "removable" one?

An actual "removable" one.. ;)

e.g. http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php?action=item&id=43&prevaction=category&previd=new&prevstart=

Barbarossa
05-24-2005, 10:36 AM
no - i havent been into it.(time waster)
but what the others said about an external hardrive is good
but
wouldn't stuff he does anyway "be processed" thru the main hard disk? Hence still retrievable.

See above ;)

Izagaia
05-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Maybe think about a decent laptop and dump his current desktop model. Something that he can either take with him on his trips or leave in your care while on holiday.

Skiz
05-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Maybe think about a decent laptop and dump his current desktop model. Something that he can either take with him on his trips or leave in your care while on holiday.

That was my suggestion too, but the lady of the house refuses to use a laptop. :snooty:

Izagaia
05-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Well lugnutz on that then.

Another idea:

Someone else touched briefly on using a bit of software such as "The Lock XP" or other file/program management software. Something that would protect a program's access with a users password as well as securing specific files and folders using a combination of passwords and file encryption.

http://www.crashcoursesoftware.com/lockxp.html