PDA

View Full Version : What does the rest of the World have that the USA does'nt?

Pages : 1 [2]

MCHeshPants420
05-31-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't think Bollywood makes more money than Hollywood. Not by a long chalk. But that's not what JP was suggesting.

I agree, Hollywood exports their movies to every country in the world whereas I imagine Bollywood movies doesn't enjoy the same coverage.

Busyman
05-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Ok so they make more movies and less money.

I stand corrected.

bigboab
05-31-2005, 01:26 PM
I suppose the industry has turned full circle.

Hollywood made most of its early money by portraying white men killing Indians.
Now Bollywood is making some of its money portraying Indians killing white men.

Different Indians, different white men, but you get the point.:lol::lol:

hobbes
05-31-2005, 01:32 PM
The bottom line is that your average American has no particular interest in the rest of the world.

I am given to understand that CNN World News for example often has 1 or 2 short reports about non-US issues. That being during a 1 hour programme. Apparently the other networks are much of a muchness.

This is pretty much true, but that is not a negative thing or an arrogance thing, it is more an exposure thing.

The US and its economic, military and cultural influences permeate the world and are visible on a daily basis. I am consistently impressed by how well you guys all know our top television shows, movies and even our star athletes.

I remember the incident a few years back involving Beckham wanting to close a shoe store in California so that he and his wife could shop in peace. The owner refused saying that he had no idea who he was. I didn't either. To Americans he is Posh Spice's husband. Only by being a member here do I know anything at all about soccer and it's big players.

So there is not much outside influence on our culture. Your local shows have no market here. You guys get a daily dose of American culture through the shows we broadcast, we don't see you at all. I am not saying that our shows are better, just that our market doesn't need to import foreign programming. Some things do make it, like Absolutely Fabulous, Benny Hill, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Doctor Who (was that British?) but those shows are quite rare.Whereas you get a feel for America, you guys remain strangers to us. Like that cousin we know is there, but we have never met.

Both economically and militarily what the US does influences many other countries and therefore people take notice of what we do. We make the news, people have strong opinions about us.

You guys don't do much that really has any impact upon the average American, so you get little airtime. We all know Tony Blair because his alliance was important to us. Who are the leaders of Wales, Scotland and Ireland or even Canada. I don't have a clue and I am a bit more global than the average American. I don't even know what title those leaders hold.

The bottom line is that people tend to learn about things that they need to know about. If we needed to know more about Spain, I'm sure there would be more emphasis about it on the news.

I'm sure people will call this arrogance, but it is simply human nature. Individuals really have enough on their plates, day to day, and have little interest in things that have little bearing on their life. When Russia was our big threat, they made airtime, now they get little to any. The news industry provides what people will watch.

The music industry is a good example of familiarity. UK musicians have plenty of popularity here and top singers are household names. So when you put out something we want or need, we go get it. This means that we are not shunning countries outside the US on any active basis, we just only have interest in things that entertains us.

It is not that Americans don't care about people outside the US, it is just that your countries influence is infrequently seen, so you remain strangers to us. Americas' influence is like that guy who sits on your couch and refuses to leave. You know him, whether you like him or not.

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/images/image_index/1997.jpg

Busyman
05-31-2005, 01:41 PM
The bottom line is that your average American has no particular interest in the rest of the world.

I am given to understand that CNN World News for example often has 1 or 2 short reports about non-US issues. That being during a 1 hour programme. Apparently the other networks are much of a muchness.

This is pretty much true, but that is not a negative thing or an arrogance thing, it is more an exposure thing.

The US and its economic, military and cultural influences permeate the world and are visible on a daily basis. I am consistently impressed by how well you guys all know our top television shows, movies and even our star athletes.

I remember the incident a few years back involving Beckham wanting to close a shoe store in California so that he and his wife could shop in peace. The owner refused saying that he had no idea who he was. I didn't either. To Americans he is Posh Spice's husband. Only by being a member here do I know anything at all about soccer and it's big players.

So there is not much outside influence on our culture. Your local shows have no market here. You guys get a daily dose of American culture through the shows we broadcast, we don't see you at all. I am not saying that our shows are better, just that our market doesn't need to import foreign programming. Some things do make it, like Absolutely Fabulous, Benny Hill, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Doctor Who (was that British?) but those shows are quite rare.Whereas you get a feel for America, you guys remain strangers to us. Like that cousin we know is there, but we have never met.

Both economically and militarily what the US does influences many other countries and therefore people take notice of what we do. We make the news, people have strong opinions about us.

You guys don't do much that really has any impact upon the average American, so you get little airtime. We all know Tony Blair because his alliance was important to us. Who are the leaders of Wales, Scotland and Ireland or even Canada. I don't have a clue and I am a bit more global than the average American. I don't even know what title those leaders hold.

The bottom line is that people tend to learn about things that they need to know about. If we needed to know more about Spain, I'm sure there would be more emphasis about it on the news.

I'm sure people will call this arrogance, but it is simply human nature. Individuals really have enough on their plates, day to day, and have little interest in things that have little bearing on their life. When Russia was our big threat, they made airtime, now they get little to any. The news industry provides what people will watch.

The music industry is a good example of familiarity. UK musicians have plenty of popularity here and top singers are household names. So when you put out something we want or need, we go get it. This means that we are not shunning countries outside the US on any active basis, we just only have interest in things that entertains us.

It is not that Americans don't care about people outside the US, it is just that your countries influence is infrequently seen, so you remain strangers to us. Americas' influence is like that guy who sits on your couch and refuses to leave. You know him, whether you like him or not.

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/images/image_index/1997.jpg
It's Shaun Of The Dead. :ohmy:

Great post btw. ;)

Gemby!
05-31-2005, 01:56 PM
shaun of the dead is a great movie

JPaul
05-31-2005, 02:14 PM
I had always thought that "Bollywood" was the "market leader".

Is it not the case that "Bollywood" produces about 8 times more movies per year than Hollywood does.

Or do we ignore that because it's across the water and they speak some funny foreign language type thing.

What about the big "Kung Fu" studies in China. They must produce a fair few as well and have a reasonably large audience.
My apologies, I didn't know Bollywood made more money. I still don't think they make more movies though. We have tons of straight to DVD releases....some actually pretty good movies.

So we are defining "market leader" as "most profitable". Rather than most prolific, higher quality or whatever. That's what I had thought

JPaul
05-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Oh, there seems to be a bit of difference of opinion re the profit thing.

Please bear in mind that most Bollywood films cost buttons to make, compared to Hollywood. So their turnover would have to much less to generate equal or higher profits.

I need to look into this.

JPaul
05-31-2005, 02:22 PM
hobbes,

Good post, good points well made. Tho' it does tend to re-inforce other people's view of America's intrinsically isolationist nature

Oh and we have decided on Puntsphere as the boards official nickname for association football. Some people get sniffy about the whole football / soccer debate.

MCHeshPants420
05-31-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm calling it Hoofglobe now. :snooty:

Busyman
05-31-2005, 02:35 PM
My apologies, I didn't know Bollywood made more money. I still don't think they make more movies though. We have tons of straight to DVD releases....some actually pretty good movies.

So we are defining "market leader" as "most profitable". Rather than most prolific, higher quality or whatever. That's what I had thought
From what I gather coupled with my own opinions....

Bollywood makes more movies than Hollywood
Less money
Most likely less profit
Lesser quality

I've seen maybe ten of them (not in their entirely admittedly) off downloads.

Busyman
05-31-2005, 02:48 PM
hobbes,

Good post, good points well made. Tho' it does tend to re-inforce other people's view of America's intrinsically isolationist nature

Oh and we have decided on Puntsphere as the boards official nickname for association football. Some people get sniffy about the whole football / soccer debate.
What's wrong with isolationism? I wish we were that way with our foreign policy. Unfortunately there are those that believe that if don't stick our nose in at the right time that the fucking world would fall apart. I've seen many in our government mention WWII and that we should have jumped in sooner.

We should respect our neighbors across the waters but we don't have to be their buddies and like their sports and entertainment and whatnot. I think exposure is enough in our free market. Some things catch on and some don't.

American movies, etc that don't catch on elsewhere would flop and works the same here.

btw the reason we didn't embrace the football (soccer) doohicky is ONLY because a knucklehead named our sport (illogically) football and someone else overseas gave us an out by calling your football, soccer.

hobbes
05-31-2005, 02:53 PM
hobbes,

I guess my demands for an exclusive VIP Champions section to avoid the hoi polloi kind of leaves me unable to counter that comment. :lol:

I think the term isolationist brings to mind a country which has intentionally turned his back on the world or built barriers around itself. Americans don't think that way. I prefer the term "self contained", as it is more of a passive nature, rather than an active one.

JPaul
05-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Busy,

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I was merely an observation based on hobbes post. Can I add sensitive / defensive.

Busyman
05-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Busy,

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I was merely an observation based on hobbes post. Can I add sensitive / defensive.
Sorry man. It seems others view it as a bad thing.

Some think that the fact that we don't seem to care about their news that it's bad (not all of us are that way anyway).

Worry about your own country...I always say.

I think some resent American anything making inroads into their country.

I say, don't embrace it then.

We sure as don't get pissed when Shaun Of The Dead makes some money....hell it's a good fucking movie.

-end of rant :mellow:

hobbes
05-31-2005, 03:08 PM
We sure as don't get pissed when Shaun Of The Dead makes some money....hell it's a good fucking movie.

I'll get pissed at any excuse possible, I likes the apple.

JPaul
05-31-2005, 04:25 PM
hobbes,

I guess my demands for an exclusive VIP Champions section to avoid the hoi polloi kind of leaves me unable to counter that comment. :lol:

I think the term isolationist brings to mind a country which has intentionally turned his back on the world or built barriers around itself. Americans don't think that way. I prefer the term "self contained", as it is more of a passive nature, rather than an active one.

Indeed, I think your smoking jacket idea was a step to far.

Shall we go with self-absorbed, that seems a happy compromise.

Busyman
05-31-2005, 06:17 PM

I was just fucked up on Saturday night.

My girlfriend's girlfriend had a get together and we sat outside until about 1 in the morning getting pissed off Pucker with Vodka and Hennesey.

I was getting cracked on for drinking a "green" drink until everyone else got fucked up off the same shit.

I was the last to go to sleep and the first to wake up and didn't even take a vitamin B pill first. No hangover (can't believe it). :01:

JPaul
05-31-2005, 06:22 PM

My girlfriend's girlfriend had a get together and we sat outside until about 1 in the morning getting pissed off Pucker with Vodka and Hennesey.

I was getting cracked on for drinking a "green" drink until everyone else got fucked up off the same shit.

I was the last to go to sleep and the first to wake up and didn't even take a vitamin B pill first. No hangover (can't believe it). :01:
Does that mean you got pished at the weekend with your mates. :blink:

DanB
05-31-2005, 06:24 PM

I think so although I don't have my Busyman to English dictionary to hand :(

Busyman
05-31-2005, 06:27 PM

Then fucking get it motherfucker.

Google dat shit motherfuckerfucker Google daaaaaat shiiiiiiiiiitt!!!

:lol: :lol:

It was Memorial Day weekend. No work on Monday.

Everyone gets pissed. I went to Home Depot which is also the route to the beach (Ocean City) and the cops had 4 cars pulled over for speeding. When I left Home Depot, they had another 4 cars pulled over.

They rack up speeding and DUI/DWI tickets during Memorial Day weekend.

JPaul
05-31-2005, 06:29 PM

It's OK I'll translate for the hard of thinking.

JPaul
05-31-2005, 06:30 PM

Something about incest and crossed eyes while using the toilet.

Busyman
05-31-2005, 06:38 PM

There's something amiss in your translation (this sometimes happens).

It doesn't have to be his mother and most certainly not mine. :mellow:

JPaul
05-31-2005, 06:40 PM

Thanks, my Yank is a bit rusty (ooer missus)

So motherfucker just means someone who fucks a mother. Which is actually a very large demographic. You for example and indeed me.

Busyman
05-31-2005, 06:44 PM

So motherfucker just means someone who fucks a mother. Which is actually a very large demographic. You for example and indeed me.
It excludes the mother of the "insulter" by rule.

Anyone else's mother is fair game for teh pounding.

Remember Yank encompass a large demographic as well.

I happen to be a black Yank. White Yank may have different variations and all of this can vary by state and income bracket.

JPaul
05-31-2005, 06:48 PM

I happen to be a black Yank. White Yank may have different variations and all of this can vary by state and income bracket.
Ah but if you are black then you have the definitive say on "street talk". I believe that is a universal, immutable law.

DanB
05-31-2005, 06:50 PM
:lol:

Busyman
05-31-2005, 06:52 PM

Ah but if you are black then you have the definitive say on "street talk". I believe that is a universal, immutable law.
Somewhat White Yank may have stuff like....

This is some fraganarkle bullshit fella.

or...

Come here guy. I'm going to kick you in your ass.

Black does not = street btw. :dry: