PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think are the biggest sellouts, music wise?

Smith
05-25-2005, 01:24 AM
I can only think of one right now.

Chingy- he made a whole friggin song to promote his shoes (air forces)

What can u guys think of?

Doba
05-25-2005, 05:15 AM
Was Chingy ever underground enough to "sell out"?

manker
05-25-2005, 10:55 AM
The Offspring. They used to be fecking brilliant until they moved to Columbia, Smash is one of my all time favourite albums.

I literally cringe when I hear Pretty Fly for a White Guy.

Maybe they're not the biggest sell-outs but it's the one that pisses me off the most.

Smith
05-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Ya they got played so much it made me wana kill something. Same with billy talent, thats all you hear on the fucking radio.

99%
05-25-2005, 08:57 PM
the Bee Gees

Chewie
05-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Most acts change their style or direction during the course of their carreer so why should anyone bitch if their favourite band starts making different music? Did everyone give The Beatles crap when they came up with Strawberry Fields or Hey Jude?
Please, no-one give me the ol' they take the fans money... line, because they don't; the record companies take that and pay their act the alowance they agreed upon in the contract.

Anyway... Jimi Hendrix. ;)

Lilmiss
05-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Greenday. :snooty:

NeoTheOne
05-26-2005, 01:01 AM
correction chingy didnt make it i dont even think he was out by then it was nelly who mad ethe air force song , and i think the BIGGEST seelout is That Fat buy who sang lean back

I the end I
05-26-2005, 02:11 AM
Often I think sell-out is confused with maturing artists.

zacspeed
05-26-2005, 05:59 AM
Apple must now own U2.

:snooty:

GepperRankins
05-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Greenday. :snooty:
anyone who advertises their album on tv is a sellout :dry:

Chewie
05-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Often I think sell-out is confused with maturing artists.
True.

Orange_Boy
05-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Anything like pop, rnb, rap, hip hop.. all sell outs always change so can get more money.
At least most metal bands can be real.. Nu metal bands are sell outs too. Can't stand fake music!

GepperRankins
05-27-2005, 04:52 PM
are limp bizkit sellouts? i remember back in school told me they were but couldn't tell me how, i presume it's because their song was on a hollywood movie.

they just came back with some political RATM clone shit and had an image change so they look like a pub band :blink:

cpt_azad
05-28-2005, 03:59 AM
Anything like pop, rnb, rap, hip hop.. all sell outs always change so can get more money.
At least most metal bands can be real.. Nu metal bands are sell outs too. Can't stand fake music!

agreed (about the whole rap and r/b thing). even Nu metal, dude, nothing is "real", every artist takes something and plays the fuck out of it example : 50 cent...oh noes he got teh shots 9 timez!111 who teh fuck cares?

Nu-metal wise, LP was good, meteora kinda wasn't great.

The only band I can think of that has outshined and matured the most (that's a good thing...that wouldn't make them sellouts). Slipknot ....best band ever. Vol 3 really shows that they've not only matured from screaming in the mic, but proves to everyone they're not idiots. First time I actually felt something hurt in my chest from llstening to a song (Circle and Danger, Stay Away). Hope their next album will kick just as much ass.

Some ppl disagree and say that Vol3 was a big sell out by slipknot, but a lot more ppl prefer music that has meaning to it and rhythm+balance, vol 3 delivers that. Vol 3 is one big book (i think), from start to stop it's an awesome masterpiece. And those masks....oh god I gotta make one lol.

edit: i also find the best way to release stress is to listen to some of 'knots first albums (MFKR, Iowa and Slipknot)...especially songs like Surfacing, Before I Forget, Duality, Left Behind, hell anything from their old albums. Next time you feel like beating the shit out of someone or you feel way too fucking pissed+stressed, sing along to one of these (older) songs.

claire2005
05-28-2005, 09:38 AM
the red hot chilli peppers. after being a fan for meny years and seeing them live quite a few times. i was gutted when they did there tour last year as they just didnt make an effort, also there album by the way well the less said the better.
to much money has made them forget there fans and write crap music latley, that to me is selling out. i feel really let down.if you cant be botherd why do it?

slipnots latest album rocks by the way, was not to keen on the other two, but you can tell that they have taken there time with this album, i loved it.

SpatulaGeekGirl
05-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Gackt! :lol:

cpt_azad
05-28-2005, 09:43 PM
slipnots latest album rocks by the way, was not to keen on the other two, but you can tell that they have taken there time with this album, i loved it.

Ya, the whole album (vol3) is a masterpiece, most ppl just associate slipknot with screaming. But this album really proves those assuming bastards wrong lol. I love the tracks on there called Before I Forget, Circle (my favorite, its so beautifully made), and Danger Keep Away.

S!X
05-28-2005, 10:05 PM

Ya, the whole album (vol3) is a masterpiece, most ppl just associate slipknot with screaming. But this album really proves those assuming bastards wrong lol. I love the tracks on there called Before I Forget, Circle (my favorite, its so beautifully made), and Danger Keep Away.

Before I forget is pwnage. :cool: I havent listened to that album since when I was in florida. Maybe I'll give it a listen in a few. :D

micolithe
05-29-2005, 03:28 AM
Metallica. St. Anger is all the proof you need. It sounds NOTHING like their earlier stuff.

S!X
05-29-2005, 08:02 AM
Metallica. St. Anger is all the proof you need. It sounds NOTHING like their earlier stuff.

Very true!! There old stuff was awesome. I dunno whats happening to these older bands in the modern age :blink: Nothing is like it used to be.. :ermm:

claire2005
05-29-2005, 08:38 AM

Very true!! There old stuff was awesome. I dunno whats happening to these older bands in the modern age :blink: Nothing is like it used to be.. :ermm:

i love metallica, but i have to agree about there latsest stuff, i have all there albums, and to me they have gone all pansy. at download they did rock, they had slipknots drummer and it was blinding, just wish they could go back to there old ways.

BigBank_Hank
05-29-2005, 04:19 PM

If all of the Metallica albums sounded alike you’d be complaining that they’re unoriginal and every song sounded alike. Every album isn’t going to sound like the And Justice album. Just because a group makes an album that doesn’t sound like the one before doesn’t mean that they’ve sold out it means that they don’t want to get stuck in a rut and have every song sound alike.

micolithe
05-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Have you HEARD the abomination that is St. Anger? They turned Nu-Metal on us. Imagine going from Metallica to Korn, except worse. It's that much of a drop in quality.

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 08:24 PM
what is people's problem with nu-metal?

would you hate it if it didn't sound good to enough people to go mainstream?

BigBank_Hank
05-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Have you HEARD the abomination that is St. Anger? They turned Nu-Metal on us. Imagine going from Metallica to Korn, except worse. It's that much of a drop in quality.

Quality wise the writing is still good it’s just the sound quality of the album which isn’t so good, but that’s how the album is supposed to sound. The sound that they were going for was stripped down and they achieved that.

Metallica isn’t scared to try new things and this album is another example.

claire2005
05-30-2005, 08:26 AM

Quality wise the writing is still good it’s just the sound quality of the album which isn’t so good, but that’s how the album is supposed to sound. The sound that they were going for was stripped down and they achieved that.

Metallica isn’t scared to try new things and this album is another example.

metallica may not be scared to try new things, but it didnt work, the band even say that the last album was there worst and that they will go back to there old ways for there new album.

mr. nails
05-30-2005, 11:32 AM
milli vanilli

BigBank_Hank
05-30-2005, 04:23 PM
metallica may not be scared to try new things, but it didnt work, the band even say that the last album was there worst and that they will go back to there old ways for there new album.
I find that very hard to believe. That would be the first time in the history of music a band would come out and say made a terrible album.

GepperRankins
05-30-2005, 05:06 PM
it wouldn't be

pandapop
06-01-2005, 12:08 PM
its gotta b the rolling stones. all they do is tour and perform to sell out crowds

hunaja
06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Green Day, no doubt.

Smith
06-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Britney spears, Pepsi owned her for awhile.

maebach
06-02-2005, 08:42 PM
u2

DJMunchies
06-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Blink 182

DRACOJOE2
06-12-2005, 12:50 PM
I say Metallica because they jumped right on the bandwagon to get napster shut down. Man i miss the old days of Napster and Audio Galaxy. :cool2:

ejoeyb
06-14-2005, 07:41 PM
I think the biggest sellouts are when artists plug their own previous hits or Mega Corporations in their new ones.
I remember some good ones.
Dire Straits... "I want my MTV"
Sting... "every breath you take..."

3RA1N1AC
06-14-2005, 11:38 PM
sell out... eh... you need to be against The Man before you can sell out to him. or have a real artistic vision before you can start compromising it. like. Green Day? they were a pop band, they're still a pop band, they'll always be a pop band. i mean the stuff that was released on Lookout, before they ever had a video on MTV. they were pop, just as the Buzzcocks and the Ramones were pop, playing pop tunes and singing about pop things but only three chords per song. Green Day's formula may be wearing extremely thin, but it's not as if their new stuff is worse than their early stuff, musically & lyrically, or even sounds much different from their early stuff.

biggest sell out. somebody who professed to be against The Man and everything The Man stands for, then traded it all in for easy money & cranking out unchallenging drivel.

maybe not the biggest, it's all arbitrary anyway, but...

Ice Cube, 1990.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008BL44.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
man, this dude really hates Cops, Whitey, Women, and The Man. he's possibly one of the angriest rappers of the late 80s & early 90s.

Ice Cube, 2005.
http://movies.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/arewethereyet/images/keyart.jpg
WHAT??? get in a time machine, travel back in time to 1990 and tell Ice Cube's fans that in 2005 he will be starring in movies like "Are We There Yet?" they will be like "WUH TUH FUHHHHHH??? you gotta be kidding." that "We Be Clubbing" stuff was a pretty weak statement, too.

leeferdude
06-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Aerosmith

daxianne
06-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Anti-Flag, hands down.

Also, Sevendust...not before they signed to a major and were against it or anything but because since they got their last record produced by the same guy Creed uses they lost any original sound they had and sounds just like any other band on the radio; as if the music was mass produced out of molds, which it was.

GepperRankins
06-20-2005, 12:10 PM
i see what you mean about about ice-cube. though he could say all along he wanted to get rich and popular and that was why he's angry; because people wouldn't give him the chance.

anti-flag sellout? wtf?

Afronaut
06-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Here's a bunch of my thoughts about Selling Out,
in no real coherent order, necessarily: (typing too much too fast, i did read this trhough once before posting thought)

For not-so-famous artists, in the end this all has a lot to do with money imo.
You just need the cash, no way around it. (food, roof etc.)
How many uknown ppl there is who make awsome music and when they get Teh Contract
and the album comes out with the Radio Sound all over?

Whos fault is that exactly?
Is it a bad thing really?

Musicians dont necessarily hold the same morals and ethics as the audience.
They just gotta break the bread too, which means compromising a little about "what to play",
or how to play might not be so difficult decision to mak as one would think.

Imaging being a songwriter with shit-no-cash (income) and suddenly getting a
contract what could give you a lot of it only IF you
sing it and do your songs with the compromise,
ie; lets have a famous producers/engineers to add the Radio Sound in your songs,
and while we're at it, lets cut all the nonsense parts and make it fit the format, under 3 min that is:

Radio Friendly.

Eh?
Why dont they cut all the painting to 50 x 50 cm regadless the original size?
Just shrink 'em I say, it is exactly the same shit they do for a lot of songs.
(Radio-Mix my ass.)

What im trying to explain here is:
A band which use to make sort of cool sounding rock music
and then started to add more "pop" innit to make it "radio friendly" in the last album, i'd say
Greenday is a good example. IMO.
Not that the latest songs are really bad but compare the sound to earlier stuff.
Or, could it be just sort of evolution?
Maybe them "artists" really wanted the bells and wistles on the music
and it wasnt like the producer/engineers/record company push them to do that,
who knows, really.
:lookaroun

To get to the bottom of it, in most cases, I guess one should know the guys playing in the band to make the judgement,

Maybe they did it just for the hell of it but I sure dont like the "new sound".
Its just too nice. There's no balls innit. For that type of band it is the wrong direction to go,
sound wise, and that is my opinion.
I wonder how they gonna get the same sound live.

My opinion is strongly biased by my taste and the fact
that I think playing guitar is a ballsy thing to do
compared to adding samples and loops, in general.
:ph34r:

My opinion about Metallica is:
I dont personally think Metallica sold out or anything,
they was rather popular since Justice-album allready,
they just suck more these days which is, again, imo.

And, how can an artist be sell-out if you selling like hell allready?
Surely Metallica was doing good since Ride the Lighning.
How much money one needs to make to be a sellout? Is there a line somewhere?

I would think one needs to be almost unknown then "sellout", making the radio-format.
Or, am I missing the points here?
:wacko:

I still like their earlier albums, but there's some other reasons why I dont dig Metallica so much anymore;
IMO Kirk Hammet is the most over rated guitar player of all time whos solos started to
suck so bad after the black album that I just have to skip them whilst listening the songs.
(I read he went more "bluesy" from the Load album and up, but playing out of tune sucks always, blues or not.)
This comes from a guy who just loves guitar solos.
It's perfectly natural to play somewhat out of whack on live situation,
but to leave the shit on finished album, I dont think so.
Again, that's just my opinion.

That's one reason I cannot listen Jimi Hendrix that much either,
Especially the live recordings.
He was often so out of tune, given the fact that those days there was drugs
and no Tuners. But for mr. Hammet to play out of tune in the album like Load is just crap, imo.
Anyone seen/heard his version of the Hedrix lick Little Wing in Pinge and Purge Live?
It cuts me deep everytime I see/hear that.
Im not extremely good player but atleast I think I know when I cannot play a tune
I wont be playing it.
If it does not work, dont let it rip.

I like the Raw sound of Rock bands a lot, but I also like some very much produced stuff like Roger Waters
or Steve Vai stuff. However, the pop-radio-over-produced-sound is why I dont listen Radio or dont watch MTV.
I think that might be what I consider the sound of a SellOut.
One bends over because what the market needs / wants.
Compromise on the songs, think about what ppl wants to hear,
not what the artist hears in the head.
I also think it has a lot to do with Record Companys and Producers how the sound
of a band comes out on the albums sometimes.
Some artists bends over easier than others.

It's interesting to see up-close, say, an indie band who sounds tight live
and what they sound on album when they get the first one out.
Just to consider did they got assrammed. Ofcourse, there's much more into it what meets the eye, or ear.

Some bands, or ppl in the bands, want so hard "to make it" that they're willing
to get rammed. Without the lube.

Then ofcource, we got the Total Products, the ones done from adds in paper and all that.
Spice girls?
Good example what a bunch of good-catchy song writers, good engineers (expensive studios),
dance classes and lotsa cash on marketing can do.
Are they the real SellOuts? I mean, that's the whole point is it not?
Atleast from Record Companys view.
Are all bands sellouts, for that matter?
I think yes, its a bisnes where's tons of cash to make.
Most often the Art just get drowned in the mud, its almost an art to find the
really cool stuff that rocks the boat, hehe.
And all that has much to do with a taste which differs from ppl to ppl.

I often try to imagine a band Im listening without the hollywood-radio-whatever-effects.
Trying to strip it down to the basic instruments.
Yeah, it is hard these days, can't really hear what was played and what is a loop or sample.

Overall, the term SellOut is a bit dim for me, it seems.
:lol:

06-24-2005, 01:19 AM
Kid Rock, without a doubt. Biggest sell out period.

3RA1N1AC
06-24-2005, 04:25 PM
i see what you mean about about ice-cube. though he could say all along he wanted to get rich and popular and that was why he's angry; because people wouldn't give him the chance.
yeh, my comment about ice cube was not entirely serious really. even though he is one of the original inventors of angry gangsta rap, neither he nor most other rappers have ever been real gangstas. he may not have been a rich kid, but he wasn't from the ghetto either... the "gangsta" was just a dramatic character he invented for himself to play, albeit a very powerful character. everybody loves a young rebel, but he rightfully made way for a younger generation. nobody likes watching an old man trying to play a young man's game (see: mick jagger still strutting around like a rooster, singing about his raging hormones and whatnot. teenage kicks? more like "get off the stage before you break your hip, granddad!!").

MCHeshPants420
06-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Anti-Flag, hands down.

Explain.

Lilmiss
06-26-2005, 02:00 PM
Anti-Flag, hands down.

Explain.

Maybe because they signed a two year contract with RCA, promising to push 2 albums in that time. Ownage sucks, especially when all your songs are based on rebelling against the system. They still rawk though. :01: :D

Unless knowledge; RCA has links with General Electric which also has ties with landmine manufacturing. clicky (http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/mines/IV.3.ge.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/missie77/antiflagmilitary.gif :lol: My arse. :lol:

-------------------------------------------

Guttermouth. :cry:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/missie77/gusto.jpg = Laughable in a bad way.

Although, "Looking out for #1" is sooo cheesy it's good. :P
Arg, me hearties.

GepperRankins
06-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Explain.

Maybe because they signed a two year contract with RCA, promising to push 2 albums in that time. Ownage sucks, especially when all your songs are based on rebelling against the system. They still rawk though. :01: :D

Unless knowledge; RCA has links with General Electric which also has ties with landmine manufacturing. clicky (http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/mines/IV.3.ge.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/missie77/antiflagmilitary.gif :lol: My arse. :lol:

pretty damn damning :pinch:

i'll never be able to look at them the same way again :(

KaBuTo
06-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Ozzy Osbourne :blink:

motov600
06-29-2005, 03:33 PM
danial bedingfield we went from uk label to usa label
same goes for craig david and the lost prophets (forgive the spelling, since using a computer my spelling has deteriated, but thats another story)

GepperRankins
06-29-2005, 05:46 PM
i agree lost prophets suck. it took a dedicated UK fanbase to raise them to the mainstream then for their first video they go to america and pay people to pretend they're fans. that really pisses me off for some reason

Lilmiss
06-30-2005, 12:17 AM
I helped Boo the Lost Prophets off stage a few years ago. :proud:

mooSa
07-01-2005, 06:48 PM
hmm, the biggest sellout backstabing wise i'd say biggie, and i'd say nelly is the biggest sellout

BILLY-THE-FISH
07-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Ice T..

manker
07-04-2005, 11:13 AM
-------------------------------------------

Guttermouth. :cry:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/missie77/gusto.jpg = Laughable in a bad way.

Although, "Looking out for #1" is sooo cheesy it's good. :P
Arg, me hearties.
Altho' pretty poor, Gusto is not Guttermouth selling out. It's them fucking up. Who are they selling out to? Epitaph wouldn't have wanted them to release this rubbish, their existing fans don't like it and it surely isn't going to attract a wider audience.

They're at their best when playing loud, catchy songs - not when they release slow-paced drivel like this. I do like a couple of tracks but I think either Adkins had deleusions of grandeur and thought his band could do something other than punk or they released it as a joke :ermm:

I think Covered With Ants, their first with Epitaph, was brilliant and in keeping with their earlier music, altho' lyrically and musically much tighter. Their latest isn't bad.

Gusto was a blip.

Lilmiss
07-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Gusto was a blip.

:lol: I hope you're right.
It sounds far too sober and cleancut to be Guttermouth, and all my chav pals lurve it. Just makes me cringe and want to listen to the real stuff.

Full Length, Friendly People, & The Album Formerly Known As Full Length LP will always be my fave's. You know how I detest change. :P

their existing fans don't like it

That doesn't stop us from buying the damn crap though.
I actually bought it for my ex, and he gave it back! :lol:

manker
07-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Gusto was a blip. :lol: I hope you're right.
It sounds far too sober and cleancut to be Guttermouth, and all my chav pals lurve it. Just makes me cringe and want to listen to the real stuff.

Full Length, Friendly People, & The Album Formerly Known As Full Length LP will always be my fave's. You know how I detest change. :P

their existing fans don't like it

That doesn't stop us from buying the damn crap though.
I actually bought it for my ex, and he gave it back! :lol: :lol: :D

I tried to hide Gusto from my chav friends in case they thought I'd gone all McFly on them :ermm:

I don't know which is my fave but I listen to Musical Monkey more than any of them - a lot of people have said to me that it's one of their worst but I think it's kewl.

Vamp
07-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Cradle Of Filth

Gemby!
07-09-2005, 04:52 PM
the Bee Gees

they are just trying to make a living and ah ah ah ah staying alive :w00t:

Smith
07-12-2005, 04:22 AM
Cradle Of Filth

Same with manson. Its hard to find good music on the radio these days. For rock i find myself going to clubs for the punk and metal nights so i dont have to hear greenday for the 600th time.

Grisbi
08-05-2005, 11:06 PM
U2 definitely. What happened to the good old days?

Alien5
08-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Ozzy Osbourne :blink:

its gotta be ozzy he sold out his whole family for a tv show :(
i would

brotherdoobie
08-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Everyone...it's the point of signing with a label...otherwise bands would just post
their songs on the interweb for free.

Peace bd

suprafreak6
08-16-2005, 03:52 AM
stay on track

truth fully i think nsync had the most sellouts

Alien5
08-16-2005, 10:23 AM
stay on track

truth fully i think nsync had the most sellouts

sellouts :lol:

sparsely
08-16-2005, 07:41 PM
I guess it's the problem with defining what constitutes a "sellout".

A band experimenting with different styles or getting signed by a major label doesn't make them, in my view, a sellout.
The way I see it, they become sellouts when they compromise their own vision for money, or for their record label, or for whatever.

Some people have said in this thread that Metallica sold out because of their last album or two...shit, they sold out when Lars' bitch ass got his vagina in a twist about Napster. That is a sellout, making a shitty song is not.

As far as the biggest sellout to me...I was always really bothered by the fact that David Gilmour et al kept using the Pink Floyd name even after Roger Waters left.
While I'm aware that a bassist/lyricist/singer does not constitute an entire band, he wrote almost every word they sang, and fostered the vision of what they became in the post-Syd Barret era.
The way I see it, they just kept the name because they knew people would keep buying albums and stuff just because of the name Pink Floyd.
Anything after The Final Cut, even though there are some decent songs, have always seemed...well...it's not Pink Floyd. :P

neon
08-17-2005, 01:47 AM
I can only think of one right now.

Chingy- he made a whole friggin song to promote his shoes (air forces)

What can u guys think of?

All the mainstream rap, chingy 50cent snoop, they dont represent cultre hiphop lyricism or anything.
They are the death of hiphop, hiphop is only truely used in the underground now days, it was never about gangsters etc thats just what you see on MTV, because it "sells" talking about the club, 80+% of 50cent's fans are white kids, not black kids and they are buying his music and thats how he becomes "platnium" when i bet you a million dollars he couldnt make a song with metaphors and similes of a high grade English standard like true hiphop lyricists would.

and i think metallica is ovverated