PDA

View Full Version : Philips DVP642

orcutt989
05-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Philips DVP642 DivX-Certified Progressive-Scan DVD Player

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000204SWE/104-1670051-5187957?v=glance

I want to get this for my birthday. For geeks, this is the best DVD player? Correct? I can burn AVI movies onto a DVD, and it will be able to play them? As long as the audio is encoded correctly? Is there anyone who has actually purchased this who can give their two cents?

lee551
05-25-2005, 02:56 AM
i have one and i do love it. it has all the features you'd want and plus plays the divx/xvid movies. it doesn't do real well with older, divx encoded movies. they'll be blocky and look crappy, but newer xvids will look perfect. for the $70 or whatever, they're about the best bang for your buck i think. :cool:

Samurai
05-25-2005, 02:57 AM
It's the same model as the DVP630 over here in the UK and yes it does play everything. A newer model came out in last 2 weeks (DVP5100) which I managed to exchange for a faulty Toshiba model, so if you can get that you'll be laughing ;)

RealitY
05-25-2005, 03:23 AM
I have two of these and theyre great. As a tip remember if the video looks mushy push the menu button on the right twice and many times it will clear it up. Also holding stop down for a few seconds makes the tray open or close. Not a better deal out there for the money really...

worldpease
05-25-2005, 03:27 AM
I want to get this for my birthday. For geeks, ...
Is geek diferent or worst thatn Nerd?
and then, are we to understand you consider your self a geek?
...just havin' fun. ;) .

And now on subject, I agree with all you guys, it might be the best player
for the moment.
In fact I can't remember it not working for me,
and as a Plus, it took me no time to make it 'multi-region',
and about the 'blury' picture, the trick about the Menu is true..
I luv it, I play all my Voyager, Galactica, Lost and more in it.

Skiz
05-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Yep. I've got one and I'm a DVD burning fool. I've burned about 150 DVD's in the past 8 months and this player will play everything that I throw at it.

Samurai
05-25-2005, 04:00 AM
by the way if anyone needs a remote hack to make this multiregion, send me a pm my way ;) i used it on my dvp5100 and i believe it works with all philips dvd players ;)

muchspl3
05-25-2005, 04:30 AM
I have 2 also, you can fit so much on a dvd.

abu_has_the_power
05-26-2005, 09:17 PM
i have this beast. it's amazing. it's truely amazing. it plays anything. xvid, divx, even does srt subs if u get the newest firmware. just amazing.

buy it. it's well worth $70

orcutt989
05-27-2005, 12:01 AM
I want to get this for my birthday. For geeks, ...
...just havin' fun. ;) .

for the moment.

No, I didnt mean anything by it. Yes, I do consider myself a geek! I will burn many a AVI to DVD for this. Imagine, fitting like 6 or eight movies on one DVD!

muchspl3
05-27-2005, 12:24 AM
...just havin' fun. ;) .

for the moment.

No, I didnt mean anything by it. Yes, I do consider myself a geek! I will burn many a AVI to DVD for this. Imagine, fitting like 6 or eight movies on one DVD!
yes and compleat seasons on a dvdr, its the best investment I made.

RealitY
05-27-2005, 12:47 AM
yes and compleat seasons on a dvdr, its the best investment I made.
Having complete season eps on one disc is a real nice bonus also...

orcutt989
05-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Family Guy here we come! So everyone agrees that this is a good investment? What problems has anyone had with it?

lee551
05-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Family Guy here we come! So everyone agrees that this is a good investment? What problems has anyone had with it?

just that it wont play some very older-version divx movies. like some of the indiana jones divx-encoded movies i burned are all blocky...but maybe that menu trick would work.... i dunno. only problem i've ever had, and it was just on a few discs.

Samurai
05-27-2005, 05:50 PM
turn on progressive scan

lee551
05-27-2005, 09:53 PM
turn on progressive scan

i'll try that. ;)

orcutt989
05-28-2005, 01:22 PM
turn on progressive scan

What is that, and how one go about doing that?

muchspl3
05-28-2005, 01:31 PM
turn on progressive scan

wont help you unless you have a HDTV....

Samurai
05-28-2005, 04:16 PM
wont help you unless you have a HDTV....

Well I have that anyway, but the manual said it would work if you chose YUV instead of RGB (scart) ;)

muchspl3
05-28-2005, 05:22 PM
US VS OVERSEAS

I;i've never seen a scart connection here, but higher end tvs over here have rgb.

RGB is required for progressive scan here, along with a tv that can display progressive (HDTV) dunno about overseas :unsure: