PDA

View Full Version : Can I make mpeg file sizes smaller?

rookiecrd1
05-26-2005, 01:55 AM
Hello I'm trying to put my videos on my website for a friend, but they all seem to be so large. I go to sites like big-boy.com and their videos are almost 1/10 the size (file size), but the same length. I am currently using divx to compress it. Is there something I'm doing wrong. Is there a way I can make them smaller files while keeping the basic quality?

Brian

RealitY
05-26-2005, 02:21 AM
You can use apps like DrDivX and compress to whatever size you want.
Although alot stuff on the web stuff is done in wmv format also...

tesco
05-26-2005, 02:24 AM
Moving this to the right section...

asmithz
05-26-2005, 02:55 AM
An Administrator making that mistake, biy what a sshame :-p

I think the best commpression is with virtual dub using an xvid codec, tried alll the codec, well most, and xvid is the best. :-/

RealitY
05-26-2005, 03:06 AM
Well that would be the best but not as simple as something like DrDivX though...

Vargas
05-26-2005, 09:40 AM
you could try converting them to wmv with windows media encoder (http://download.microsoft.com/download/winmediatech40/wmenc71/7.1/W98NT42KMe/EN-US/wmencoder71.exe)
you can keep the sound quality while lowering resolution or framerate to save space.
EDIT: the ones that WMEncoder v7.1 makes will play on all PC's, even old ones with wmp6.4
it works!

loadedet
05-26-2005, 08:29 PM
the best way for compressing films to there least capacity is to real media movie format, however you lose quality severly for this

orcutt989
05-27-2005, 02:16 AM
1. What you want to to is convert/encode these MPEG files into, smaller MPEG files, or easier, AVI files.

2. By reducing the Video and Audio bitrate, you will reduce the size of these video files dramatically. However, while doing this, you are sacrificing quality as well, so be carefull, and toy around with different bitrate combinations until you get the combo that you think is right.

3. To do this, go to this website (http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/VirtualDub-MPEG2.zip) which has the virtual dub MPEG2 version, which will allow you to encode the MPEG files. Download, and install the free software.

4. Read this tutorial (http://www.videohelp.com/avi2divx.htm) on how to convert the MPEG files to small AVI files that will be what you want.

*Disregard that the tutorial is showing you how to get the best quality, out of your AVI files, this is not what you are looking for. What you are looking for is small size. This tutorial will only show you how to change those.

*Disregard anything that talks about MPEG files not working, or something, since you have the MPEG2 version of Virtual Dub, you should be fine.

*I am sorry if this makes no sense. I tried. :shutup: :wacko:
*Members, please feel free to criticize, and add whatever you want.:01:

ThemaNIL
06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
use the xvid codec to make the file smaller, you can download xvid codec form This Web Site (http://www.free-codecs.com/Koepi_XviD_download.htm) , if you have any more questions , just ask.

backlash
06-03-2005, 11:30 PM
I have adobe premiere pro 1.5. Which is the best format to encode in using that program?

3RA1N1AC
06-04-2005, 01:43 AM
doing multiple-pass encoding often allows you to use a lower bit-rate, 'cause you're giving the encoder extra time to analyze the source video & decide which frames need more bits & which frames need less.

use a video noise-reduction filter to eliminate the grain/static that's prolly present in the source. the result will be a little blurry, but it will also reduce macro-blocking (when the codec is overwhelmed by motion & grain and just breaks up into a mosaic pattern) which is arguably much worse than a lil bit of blur. this will also allow you to encode at a lower bit-rate, 'cause you're eliminating some of the visual detail. but if you're creating clips for people to look at on a website, fine detail is prolly not your first priority anyway-- the first priority is size, so that you don't tap out all of your bandwidth.

play around with the resolution and framerate. film is projected in u.s. theaters at 24 frames per second, and u.s. television displays 30 frames per second... but for a video clip on a website? you can prolly get away with as few as 15 or 20 frames per second.

um, i haven't used Dr. DivX a whole lot, but for such purposes i wouldn't recommend it. it's not flexible enough, doesn't give you nearly enough control & fine-tuning. VirtualDub gives you a much better grip on every option & detail of AVI-encoding, and it'll do a better job of preserving image quality at extremely low bit-rates (such as those you'd wanna use for distributing clips through a webpage).