PDA

View Full Version : Paying for Usenet

Culley
05-26-2005, 09:55 PM
I notice the disclaimer at the top of the forum which reads "Never pay for File Sharing!" :P

So, before I go paying $$$ to register to a Usenet, I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

I've been using Usenet for a few months. Just what my ISP provides (which isn't much as has been mentioned) and I'm using Outlook Express to search, download, and compile.

I read over forum rules, so hope I don't break any by asking this: how good is Usenet for "locating" any and all primetime TV shows?

And, if that is my interest, could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

RealitY
05-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Well I think a premium Usenet server is the one exception to that phrase and well worth as youll find out quickly. I would suggest NewsHosting being the best for what you get money wise in terms of completion and retention and is unlimited and remain to stand behind that. Also if you do decide to signup with them make sure to use our referral link at http://www.newshosting.com/?a=51500 or the banner at the top.

Also using Outlook to get stuff off Usenet is a complete pain in the ass. You should be using binarie reader like GrabIt or Newsleecher. You should take a look at my Guide which should give you all the detail you need to get you started...
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=69159

---== Also ==---
Welcome Aboard

:) :)

Culley
05-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Thanks.

I've read through your guides and believe I will try NewsHosting and GrabIt. I think I will try the $15/month Unlimited option.

I have a couple of questions, though. I'm not sure I understand what is meant by "retention" or "concurrent connections."

RealitY
05-27-2005, 01:58 AM
Well retention is how long something stays on the server your using.
As concurrent is how many connections you can make to the server at once...

Culley
05-27-2005, 02:01 AM
That's what I gathered, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again.

Filliz
05-27-2005, 02:11 AM
retention = how many days the files are available on the server.
Whit free providers this is usually very poor.
Maybe 3 or 4 days,5 at the most.
Most premium host have a retention of 20 days and up,and the completion of the files is also much better than with a free server.
The good thing about a high retention is that you don't have to be on the look out all the time just in case something gets posted that you want.

concurrent connections: the number of connections you are allowed to have to the newsservers.
The more connections you're allowed,the more you can download at once.

These are the two main things for me that decide if the service is worth it's money or not.

If you don't have a monthly cap on your line through your ISP then Newshosting is one of the best deals you can get.(for an unlimited account)

But if you do have a monthly cap,like me (10GB p/month),then I think you'll get a better deal at EasyNews.
There you pay about 10$ a month for 10Gigs.
But you can earn extra gigs by taking their members survey every month.
Unlimited connections and a retiontion up to 37 days.

Well,you can check it out for yourself:
http://www.easynews.com/

edit: ah it's been answered already :ph34r:

RealitY
05-27-2005, 02:17 AM
if you do have a monthly cap,like me (10GB p/month),then I think you'll get a better deal at EasyNews.
There you pay about 10$ a month for 10Gigs.
OMG thats like 2 DVD get a new ISP ffs
:P :P

Well,you can check it out for yourself:
http://www.easynews.com/
Shhhh we have a referral program ffs!!!!
:lol: :lol:

edit: ah it's been answered already :ph34r:
I WIN!!!!

Filliz
05-27-2005, 02:26 AM
OMG thats like 2 DVD get a new ISP ffs
I know :frusty:
Thing is that the two major ISP's we have here both have the same crappy limit.
They can get away with this because they have the majority of the market :dry:

:lookaroun I'll refrain myself fom advertising Easynews from now on.

RealitY
05-27-2005, 03:41 AM
:lookaroun I'll refrain myself fom advertising Easynews from now on.
Good or Ill have to get the duck tape and the sheep gets it!!
:yikes: :yikes:

Culley
05-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Right now, I have a 3Mbps dl/30Kbps ul rate through my provider with no bandwidth cap. I download/upload between 50 and 100 gigs/month. As I understand it, I should be able to max out at about 90-95% of my dl potential, correct?

I almost exclusively search for TV shows. Movies, music, games, apps, are a plus, but not a big focus of my attention.

My goal is to stop relying on torrents to find tv shows.

So, to use the referral program, all I do is click the NewsHosting banner in this section of the forum, correct?

RealitY
05-27-2005, 04:33 PM
So, to use the referral program, all I do is click the NewsHosting banner in this section of the forum, correct?
Yes and your all set and the forum says thanks of course and yes you will max out...

:) :)

tree_for
06-15-2005, 01:19 PM
does anyone know any free news servers? I've searched e thread~! but found nothing! so thought maybe some of u guys might know?
pls help!

{I}{K}{E}
06-15-2005, 01:25 PM
does anyone know any free news servers? I've searched e thread~! but found nothing! so thought maybe some of u guys might know?
pls help!

there are some but they arent good. (less then 1 day retention)

tree_for
06-19-2005, 12:32 PM
thats right I tried yottanews!
d/l speeds suck! lik29KBps!
is it e same with u guys?

Culley
07-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Well, I have to say that I've been using NewsHosting and NewsLeecher for two weeks now... it was a bit daunting at first, but I'm much happier now than I am with using torrents and Azureus.

Main reason is the downloads are faster and NewsLeecher uses less memory than Azureus. In other words, my computer isn't bogged down as much as it was.

{I}{K}{E}
07-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Main reason is the downloads are faster and NewsLeecher uses less memory than Azureus. In other words, my computer isn't bogged down as much as it was.

and you dont need to upload :01:

always full speed.

new releases are mostly on usenet before they appear on torrenttrackers.

cldnails
07-02-2005, 03:36 AM
I'm a newbie usent user...and I have giganews....I couldn't be more satisfied. I know it sounds corny but all I used before were torrents....kinda blows them out of the water for the most part. But torrents still have their place... ;) I share teh wealth.

Culley
07-03-2005, 01:34 PM
I agree, I still search torrent sites, but... over the past two weeks, I've weeded out my torrent usage... and I'm down to one torrent in my queue.

Master$hake
07-07-2005, 02:49 AM
paying for usenet is only the way to go, it costs so much money to run a news farm that its just not possible to serve up any of the really good groups for free.

Between routers, loadbalancers, servers, back end and front end storage and not to mention the power bill every month along with a true broadband connection. Big Bucks

Master$hake
07-07-2005, 02:53 AM
www.usenetserver.com works great for me 15 a month unlimited and I max out my 4mbit connection great completion rate to. Great tech support to I've never waited to ask a random question.
"ding"

cldnails
07-12-2005, 09:31 PM
www.usenetserver.com works great for me 15 a month unlimited and I max out my 4mbit connection great completion rate to. Great tech support to I've never waited to ask a random question.
"ding"

That's no doubt a great price...but how many connections do you get. Also...I went to their home page...and the only thing I see in their news sections is problems, problems, problems..... With giganews....nothing but happy downloading not having to worrya bout whether I'm gonna loose the articles I've been downloading or speeds. :)