PDA

View Full Version : USA vrs England

MCHeshPants420
05-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Does anyone even care about this match? Seems like a complete waste of time for our players after just finishing a busy season and why bother to have it it America when most of their players play here... :blink:

England will field an unfamiliar line-up when they take on USA at Soldier Field, Chicago, live on Sky Sports 1.

Sven Goran Eriksson has taken his side on a much-criticised tour of the United States but will look to learn more about several of his squad players.

Manchester City goalkeeper David James is desperate to prove he is worthy of displacing Paul Robinson and starts as reward for his attitude since being dropped from the team.

With Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand and John Terry all missing, the back four is likely to include Ashley Cole, Wes Brown, captain Sol Campbell and either Glen Johnson or Phil Neville at right back.

With David Beckham and Owen Hargreaves not available until the friendly with Colombia, the likes of Joe Cole, Michael Carrick and Jermaine Jenas will all expect to start with Alan Smith and Phil Neville candidates for the fourth midfield slot.

If Smith does not play up front, Peter Crouch and Andy Johnson should compete to partner Tottenham's Jermain Defoe.

With Robert Green, Scott Carson, Kieran Richardson and Zat Knight all hoping for debuts, like Crouch, there are plenty of opportunities for new caps.

USA coach Bruce Arena has replaced injury victim Pablo Mastroeni with Kerry Zavagnin of Kansa City Wizards.

Fulham striker Brian McBride is expected to lead the line for the Americans and several other English-based players could be involved including Bobby Convey, Carlos Bocanegra and Marcus Hahnemann.

One man to watch out for is FC Dallas striker Eddie Johnson, who has trained with Manchester United, while Landon Donovan provides a lot of experience in midfield.

Arena has a tough choice in goal with Hahnemann competing with Borussia Monchengladbach's Kasey Keller and Zach Thornton of Chicago Fire, who must be keen to play on his home ground.

Source (http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=280764&CPID=219&CLID=&lid=2&title=USA+v+England+preview&channel=Football_Home)

Prediciton: We'll either win, lose or draw.

GepperRankins
05-27-2005, 01:30 PM
i wonder if america will take their ball home at half time

(>Zero Cool<)
05-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Does anyone even care about this match? Seems like a complete waste of time for our players after just finishing a busy season and why bother to have it it America when most of their players play here... :blink:

Prediciton: We'll either win, lose or draw.

It's daft imho, you change a game like the cup final, one of the biggest single games of the season, if not the biggest, from a replay format to finished on the day via penalties as the fixture list is so crowded then organise a game like this :huh: madness

MCHeshPants420
05-27-2005, 01:43 PM
i wonder if america will take their ball home at half time

Or stop for a rest after the first "quarter".

Samurai
05-27-2005, 01:49 PM
is this a qualifier for the world cup?? :unsure:

MCHeshPants420
05-27-2005, 01:53 PM
is this a qualifier for the world cup?? :unsure:

Nah, it's just a silly post-season friendly. USA have a different qualifying competition than us, featuring such prominent footballing nations like Guatemala, Panama and Costa Rica.

JPaul
05-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Merchandising.

GepperRankins
05-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Merchandising.
i was wondering if budweiser had anything to do with it :dry:

99%
05-27-2005, 02:09 PM
soccer dudes soccer

Illuminati
05-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Merchandising.

Good point.

So when is this likely match of Soccertainment?

MCHeshPants420
05-27-2005, 03:06 PM

Good point.

So when is this likely match of Soccertainment?

Tomorrow.

GepperRankins
05-27-2005, 03:19 PM
for some reason the advert annoys me. even though it's a joke i don't appreciate "we didn't ruin your game, buy stuff" :unsure:

Illuminati
05-27-2005, 03:28 PM
for some reason the advert annoys me. even though it's a joke i don't appreciate "we didn't ruin your game, buy stuff" :unsure:

I don't know - Although I'm sketchy on the monster trucks, I did like the half-time presentation was disrupted like that :D

Then again I'm one of those people who hates seeing photos in the local paper of people just looking into the camera and giving fake poses. :rolleyes:

manker
05-27-2005, 06:50 PM
I suppose it gives Sven a chance to see players like Peter Crouch and Kieron Richarson ... oh wait.

Yeah, it is pointless.

Snee
05-27-2005, 07:24 PM
'tis a bit like saying "cawk" vrs "p33n" :unsure:

football
05-27-2005, 09:43 PM
'tis a bit like saying "cawk" vrs "p33n" :unsure:Are you saying that the two countries are charged with machismo and the resulting duel will be akin to a testosterone fuelled battle of the galactic uber males; Klingon Vs the JemH'adar.

'Cos that would be brilliant.

JPaul
05-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Nah, he's saying it's nob v prick.

DanB
05-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Multi ball extra time for all the thick yanks :01:

keyser_soze
05-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Are you saying that the two countries are charged with machismo and the resulting duel will be akin to a testosterone fuelled battle of the galactic uber males; Klingon Vs the JemH'adar.
If it was the yanks would be best cos thier great, we would just sit back and say nothing even though we were excited about the result and the yanks would be to busy to do anything because they would be eating KFC,drinking coke and using stealth billion pound weapons that can target your bell end to take over oil rich countries, who said stereo typing was dead?

manker
05-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Actually, the JemH'adar aren't uber-males because they are genetically engineered androgynous warriors :snooty:

Only found that out this morning.

JPaul
05-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Actually, the JemH'adar aren't uber-males because they are genetically engineered androgynous warriors :snooty:

Only found that out this morning.
They are also fecked without the white powder stuff.

Damn those changelings.

manker
05-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Changelings. Clever bar-stewards, one and all.

JPaul
05-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Clever bars sometimes.

keyser_soze
05-28-2005, 04:16 PM
You boys been out the house lately? :rolleyes:

JPaul
05-28-2005, 05:54 PM
You boys been out the house lately? :rolleyes:
How does that work well.

Snee
05-28-2005, 10:35 PM
'tis a bit like saying "cawk" vrs "p33n" :unsure:Are you saying that the two countries are charged with machismo and the resulting duel will be akin to a testosterone fuelled battle of the galactic uber males; Klingon Vs the JemH'adar.

'Cos that would be brilliant.
I just wanted to see what'd happen if I wrote that :unsure:

Was hoping someone would pick up on it and start flaming. Was really bored, like.

:blushing:

enoughfakefiles
05-28-2005, 10:45 PM
I suppose it gives Sven a chance to see players like Peter Crouch and Kieron Richarson ... oh wait.

Yeah, it is pointless.

I once seen peter crouch play at turf moor when he was just starting a QPR and he was shite then. :lol:

DanB
05-28-2005, 10:48 PM
That Kieron Richardson scored both our goals

claire2005
05-30-2005, 08:44 AM
soccer dudes soccer

its not soccer its fooball, dear me, you have to understand that you cant change the name of our favorite sport, its football

MCHeshPants420
05-30-2005, 11:39 AM
soccer dudes soccer

its not soccer its fooball, dear me, you have to understand that you cant change the name of our favorite sport, its football

I call it soccer as we're on an international forum so it saves any confusion. Besides the soccer/football argument bores me to tears. :cry:

Snee
05-30-2005, 12:04 PM

I call it soccer as we're on an international forum so it saves any confusion.
As far as I know, in the english-speaking parts of the world, it's only the americans that actually call it "soccer", 'sides, what we call it translates directly into "football" as well, so I'll just go with tradition, and keep calling it football. Ha-haa. Maybe it ain't the world that should adapt if it's just ~the one country that uses the other word, you know?

Illuminati
05-30-2005, 12:33 PM
As far as I know, in the english-speaking parts of the world, it's only the americans that actually call it "soccer", 'sides, what we call it translates directly into "football" as well, so I'll just go with tradition, and keep calling it football. Ha-haa. Maybe it ain't the world that should adapt if it's just ~the one country that uses the other word, you know?

SnnY's right. The only countries that call it soccer are the USA & Australia (link (http://www.officialplayersites.com/associations/)).

Even FIFA, the world's leading authority of the sport, is called the Fédération Internationale de Football Association

MCHeshPants420
05-30-2005, 12:41 PM

SnnY's right. The only region to call it soccer IIRC is the Americas.

Even FIFA, the world's leading authority of the sport, is called the Fédération Internationale de Football Association

Yes, but it still avoids confusion. Let people call it "puntsphere" for all I care, I just get annoyed that some sad-case will always jump on anyone who dares to call football "soccer".

In fact I'm only going to call it "soccer" from now on. Even IRL. :protest:

GepperRankins
05-30-2005, 01:00 PM
it's more fun to call it football. then we get to pick on pansies who wear armour to play rugby

manker
05-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Calling it soccer is fine with me. If I'm in a conversation with an American I'll call it just that, if not then I may refer to it as either. Getting the point across is most important.

Makes no difference and it's still teh best sport in the world.

JPaul
05-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Nah "just that" is even more confusing.

Think it thro' man.

manker
05-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Hmm, you're right.

Puntsphere FTW :01:

JPaul
05-30-2005, 01:53 PM
As ever cheesepants shows the way.

A good, common sense, northern solution.

Busyman
05-30-2005, 05:43 PM

SnnY's right. The only countries that call it soccer are the USA & Australia (link (http://www.officialplayersites.com/associations/)).

Americans didn't come up the name soccer in the first place. Can't blame us. :huh:

Snee
05-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Puntsphere it is.

@busy: Not blaming you, just saying the entire world shouldn't have to conform to the conventions of one country (or as it happens, two countries).

JPaul
05-30-2005, 08:39 PM
SnnY,

Parhaps we should commision a pole. Association football should be known as;

Football
Soccer
Puntsphere
Other
STFU manboy.

manker
05-30-2005, 08:41 PM
I nominate Zbignew Boniek.

JPaul
05-30-2005, 08:55 PM
:lol:

Your pole a bit rusty mate. Ooer missus.

Snee
05-30-2005, 08:59 PM
I have my own pole already, I'm holding on to that one :unsure:

JPaul
05-30-2005, 09:07 PM
I have my own pole already, I'm holding on to that one :unsure:
Always a good idea to hold onto your own pole mate.

I do it all the time.

Busyman
05-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Puntsphere it is.

@busy: Not blaming you, just saying the entire world shouldn't have to conform to the conventions of one country (or as it happens, two countries).
Very true. I'm we kept on with soccer due to our naming of football being an entirely different sport in which we rarely contact the foot to the ball.

Three countries. You forgot Canada. ;)

Snee
05-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Puntsphere it is.

Very true. I'm we kept on with soccer due to our naming of football being an entirely different sport in which we rarely contact the foot to the ball.

Three countries. You forgot Canada. ;)
We call your kind of football "American Football", but maybe a more accurate description would be cool.

If football is puntsphere, should american football be manmagle or something then? :unsure:

JPaul
05-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Eggcarrying