PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft advises IE users to uninstall Netscape 8

Yoga
05-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Microsoft has alerted consumers that Netscape's latest browser appears to break the XML rendering capabilities in Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Dave Massy, a senior program manager for IE, warned users in a blog posting that after installing Netscape 8, IE will render XML files as a blank page, including XML files that have an XSLT transformation.

Microsoft did not make clear what versions of IE were affected, but a user of the DeveloperDex forum said he experienced the problem on version 6 of IE, which had been patched with Windows Service Pack 2.

Microsoft said it is investigating the problem and will work with Netscape to resolve it. It advised a "workaround" of uninstalling Netscape 8 and editing the registry settings.

One reader of the blog said the rendering problem could be a problem with IE, rather than Netscape. He suggested that such a feature could be useful for Microsoft as it would deter users considering a migration from IE to Netscape.

But another reader, Chris Beach, came to Microsoft's defense. "Cue endless conspiracy theories about Microsoft's 'dirty tactics.' Honestly, the rubbish you (Microsoft) have to put up with...my heart goes out to you guys. Keep up the good work with IE 7," he said.

This issue could be another blow to Netscape, which released Netscape 8 only two weeks ago. Just a day after launching Netscape 8 and touting the browser's security features, the company released an update to fix several serious flaws.

Source:CNET NEWS (http://news.com.com/Microsoft+advises+IE+users+to+uninstall+Netscape+8/2100-1032_3-5721852.html?tag=nefd.pop)

Snee
05-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Ok, so you should solve it by getting rid of netscape, they say?

Hmm, this is just a random thought, but how about uninstalling the browser that doesn't work, instead.

peat moss
05-28-2005, 07:57 PM
It never fuking ends does it ? You update your browser and bang , your a security risk. Probably best to wait a couple weeks before updating something as critical as your browser. Thanks for the heads up yoga.

fkdup74
05-31-2005, 03:15 AM
But another reader, Chris Beach, came to Microsoft's defense. "Cue endless conspiracy theories about Microsoft's 'dirty tactics.'

well, if the shoe fits........ :P

sameer0807
05-31-2005, 03:44 AM
Ok, so you should solve it by getting rid of netscape, they say?

Hmm, this is just a random thought, but how about uninstalling the browser that doesn't work, instead.

right on.....

Storm
05-31-2005, 10:06 AM
i bet Chris Beach's father works at microsoft or something........ lol

im not one that believes in conspiracy theories, but microsoft has been known to abuse its monopoly position......

99%
05-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Netscape advises IE users to uninstall IE

micolithe
05-31-2005, 02:10 PM
Firefox users advise IE and Netscape users to uninstall both.

Hairbautt
05-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Firefox users advise IE and Netscape users to uninstall both.
Heh, true. :lol:

Storm
05-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Netscape advises IE users to uninstall IE

most third party browser makers advise to uninstall it....... as do security experts.......

the only people that advise you to use IE are microsoft, and writers of virii/spyware/browser hijacks

TFFTn
05-31-2005, 04:04 PM
It never fuking ends does it ? You update your browser and bang , your a security risk. Probably best to wait a couple weeks before updating something as critical as your browser. Thanks for the heads up yoga.

Thats so right...its like the whole system is on stilts for a while, the people who update first really are ginny pigs for a bit :sick:

99%
05-31-2005, 04:04 PM
BushXP advises Kerry users to uninstall Kerry v1.0

Busyman
05-31-2005, 04:21 PM
Netscape 8 is some shit anyway.

I'd advise FF and IE users to stay with their respective browsers.

Izagaia
05-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Doesn't Windows, by default, rely on some aspects of Internet Explorer in order to communicate with other computers regardless of which web browser you choose as the default?

In a nutshell, wouldn't un-installing Internet Explorer make life more difficult rather than easier? :huh:

Be kind, please... I am not exactly a web-browser "guru". Just something I have picked-up/heard along the way. :)

99%
05-31-2005, 09:44 PM
agreed
thats probably why firfox users sadly have the extension called ie view for those sites which dont handle ffx

Storm
05-31-2005, 10:01 PM
Doesn't Windows, by default, rely on some aspects of Internet Explorer in order to communicate with other computers regardless of which web browser you choose as the default?

In a nutshell, wouldn't un-installing Internet Explorer make life more difficult rather than easier? :huh:

Be kind, please... I am not exactly a web-browser "guru". Just something I have picked-up/heard along the way. :)

yep, and that is also exactly the reason you shouldnt use IE: cause it is built into the OS which makes true separation between local (your computer) and remote (the internet) locations nearly impossible........ which causes those security breaches.......

accat13
05-31-2005, 10:15 PM
agreed
thats probably why firfox users sadly have the extension called ie view for those sites which dont handle ffx ?? is that a seperate extension to download.

99%
05-31-2005, 10:21 PM
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=35
very usefull

Snee
06-01-2005, 12:01 PM

It's possible to do without it (Removing it would probably screw with webviews on the desktop and stuff like that.), and, at any rate, the bits you need would still work with netscape 8 installed and ie installed but not working I think, even if you couldn't surf the web with ie.

It'd be like a safety feature, really.

Money Fist
06-01-2005, 12:07 PM
who uses Netscape any way?

Storm
06-01-2005, 12:19 PM

who uses IE? :P

accat13
06-01-2005, 01:04 PM
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=35
very usefull thank you 99% but the TabBrowser extensions issue kinda concerns me..Maybe when they fix the bug

Busyman
06-01-2005, 01:39 PM

who uses IE? :P
I don't know..maybe over 80% of internet users. :dry:

How many here that used IE previously actually had a security breach?

I still use it and never have except one instance where it was website...showing...you guessed it....a security breach.

Izagaia
06-01-2005, 06:25 PM
In my opinion, the security issues within Internet Explorer, exsist solely because of it's high user-base. It really does not make much sense to exploit anything (in this case a web browser) that so few people (compared to the total number of internet users as a whole) utilize... it would be like robbing a 7-Eleven convenience store. You are just not going to obtain much out of the deal.

As Netscape and FireFox users nab more of the browser market, you are likely to start seeing vulnerabilities unique to those applications emerge in rather alarming numbers. Call it "internet eco-nomics".