PDA

View Full Version : So Much For AMD = Cheapz0r...

Djtima
05-29-2005, 06:20 AM
Intel’s decision to transform dual-core processors into an alternative affordable to all users is not only a victory against AMD, but also the beginning
of a new dawn in PC technology.

Although it will take long before users will be able to switch to dual-core processors (Intel estimates that 2006 is the year when dual-core processors will represent an important segment of the market), this process is inevitable.

Moreover, Intel has succeeded in launching dual-core processors at half the prices proposed by the competition.

The three models launched: Pentium D 820 at 2.8GHz, Pentium D 830 at 3.0GHz and Pentium D 840 at 3.2GHz will have prices of 241, 316 and 530 dollars in shipments of 1000 units. The “slowest” AMD Athlon X2 (2.2 GHz 4200+) is priced at $537. You do the math....

:naughty: How do you like that AMD Cheese Munchers? :schnauz:

Source: Linky (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-Pentium-D-tips-the-balance-in-favor-of-Intel-2362.shtml)

S!X
05-29-2005, 06:58 AM
Amd's still gonna pwn Intel.

Djtima
05-29-2005, 06:59 AM
and whys that?

Joakim Agren
05-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Hello!

Actually both AMD and Intel must be wetting their pants by now due to the rescent threat of IBM that is taking over the consoll market and also has the superchip Cell for the next PS3. Since Cell is PPC based it is quite possible that sometimes next year we will see a new processor for Macs. A modified G5 for base maybe around 3.5 GHz and on top of that as replacement for Altivec a Cell chip for the graphic. That would be a fantastic supercomputer and if that would to happen Apple would take a gigant leap and go far ahead of the PC market as far as performance is concerned!!.

S!X
05-29-2005, 08:08 AM
LOL, That would be the day I buy an IBM. :lol:

Skiz
05-29-2005, 08:12 AM
What? Do you think AMD is just gonna take it laying down and go outta business. Give it a month a they'll be releasing their own competitive product.

Mr. Mulder
05-29-2005, 08:43 AM
what Skizo said, they'll probably even give away free sandwiches, I don't see Intel giving away free sandwiches.

lynx
05-29-2005, 08:45 AM
The “slowest” AMD Athlon X2 (2.2 GHz 4200+) is priced at $537.The AMD Athlon64 X2 is more equivalent to Intel's 840EE chip, the price of which is astronomical (well over $1000).

The AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ is effectively a 3500+ with a second core while the Intel Pentium D 840 is effectively a P4 3.2GHz with a second core, and the 3500+ eats the P4 3.2GHz.

At the moment, Intel can't even make a chip to compete with AMD's top end dual core processors.

Pass the cheese. :D

trajillo
05-29-2005, 09:15 AM
Next Stop AMD, once i gather enough money

Virtualbody1234
05-29-2005, 11:41 AM
The “slowest” AMD Athlon X2 (2.2 GHz 4200+) is priced at $537.The AMD Athlon64 X2 is more equivalent to Intel's 840EE chip, the price of which is astronomical (well over $1000).

The AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ is effectively a 3500+ with a second core while the Intel Pentium D 840 is effectively a P4 3.2GHz with a second core, and the 3500+ eats the P4 3.2GHz.

At the moment, Intel can't even make a chip to compete with AMD's top end dual core processors.

http://www.cheesemonthclub.com/images/cheese2.jpg
AMD! :01:

RPerry
05-29-2005, 11:48 AM
The AMD Athlon64 X2 is more equivalent to Intel's 840EE chip, the price of which is astronomical (well over $1000).

http://www.cheesemonthclub.com/images/cheese2.jpg
AMD! :01:

make that 2 helpings of cheese :01:

AMD all the way :w00t:

clocker
05-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Just fine, thanks.
Since AMD has superior memory bus architecture (the Opterons were designed for dual-core from the beginning) AND has stated that the current 939 platform will accept the upcoming chips, I feel downright comfy.

While YOU are out buying a whole new system (priced DDR2 RAM lately?), I shall be leisurely contemplating which dual core AMD I might want to slot into my current rig.

Pass the Brie, please.

Virtualbody1234
05-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Dual core cheese for you!

http://img226.echo.cx/img226/5665/mousetrapncheese20yi.gif

Illuminati
05-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news (I use a P4 myself), but there is a disadvantage to Intel's dual-cores:

Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips

Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with Intel Corp. now embedding digital rights management within in its latest dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945 chipset.

Officially launched worldwide on the May 26, the new offerings come DRM-enabled and will, at least in theory, allow copyright holders to prevent unauthorized copying and distribution of copyrighted materials from the motherboard rather than through the operating system as is currently the case.

While Intel steered clear of mentioning the new DRM technology at its Australian launch of the new products, Intel's Australian technical manager Graham Tucker publicly confirmed Microsoft-flavored DRM technology will be a feature of Pentium D and 945.

"[The] 945g [chipset] supports DRM, it helps implement Microsoft's DRM ... but it supports DRM looking forward," Tucker said, adding the DRM technology would not be able to be applied retrospectively to media or files that did not interoperate with the new technology.

However, Tucker ducked questions regarding technical details of how embedded DRM would work saying it was not in the interests of his company to spell out how the technology in the interests of security.

The situation presents an interesting dilemma for IT security managers as they may now be beholden to hardware-embedded security over which they have little say, information or control.

Conversely, Intel is heavily promoting what it calls "active management technology" (AMT) in the new chips as a major plus for system administrators and enterprise IT. Understood to be a sub-operating system residing in the chip's firmware, AMT will allow administrators to both monitor or control individual machines independent of an operating system.

Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection" which will allow administrators to remotely enable, disable or format or configure individual drives and reload operating systems and software from remote locations, again independent of operating systems. Both AMT and IDE control are enabled by a new network interface controller.

"We all know our [operating system] friends don't crash that often, but it does happen," Tucker said.

Intel's reticence to speak publicly about what lies under the hood of its latest firmware technology has also prompted calls to come clean from IT security experts, including Queensland University of Technology's assistant dean for strategy and innovation, IT faculty, Bill Caelli.

"It's a dual use technology. It's got uses and misuses. Intel has to answer what guarantees it is prepared to give that home users are safe from hackers. Not maybes, guarantees".

Caelli said it was "critical Intel comes clean" about how the current DRM technology is embedded into the new CPU and chipset offering.

Microsoft was unavailable for comment at press time.
Source (http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915)

fkdup74
05-29-2005, 01:38 PM
I think Intel has already lauched thier next gen chips....
and planted one in djtima's brain :blink:

hey could you guys pass the american cheese?
wanna make me some nachos :D

or....nacho cheese.....or.....nvm :blushing:

clocker
05-29-2005, 02:15 PM
You make nachos with American cheese?

Philistine.

peat moss
05-29-2005, 03:45 PM
There's story here on the DRM enable chips.

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915

Illuminati
05-29-2005, 04:05 PM

Actually, that's the source I quoted above ;)

peat moss
05-30-2005, 11:47 PM

Actually, that's the source I quoted above ;)

Oh sorry I did nt see that . Great minds think alike. :P But anyway what are they thinking ? Their brain dead if they think that will sell. Its like your post about the Sony cd software protection that limits cdr copies . :blink: Oh well someone will figure a way around it . :)

bigdawgfoxx
05-31-2005, 04:15 AM
ok AMDs numbering scheme is wierd...4200 is now a 2.2Ghz...thats like wierd...it should be like 23500 for a dual core 2.2ghz or something

Storm
05-31-2005, 10:20 AM
like lynx said, Djtima is comparing the price of a Smart to that of a beamer..... :P

the thing that really scares me bout the intel chips is that DRM........ unfortunatly, that stuff WILL sell....... dell will ship that junk out to alot of people who dont understand shit bout computers.....

clocker
05-31-2005, 12:41 PM
unfortunatly, that stuff WILL sell....... dell will ship that junk out to alot of people who dont understand shit bout computers.....
People "who don't understand shit bout computers" are Dell's core sales base.
Look for them to recast DRM as a sort of "user protection" system and yes, they will sell gazillions of 'em.
Of course, when all these lambs try to install their MS Office suite, ripped off from work, they may be a trifle P.O.ed.

Oh boy.