PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis 500

JPaul
05-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Who the feck came up with the idea for racing cars on an oval track.

It's like watching real life Scalextric. (Which I know is also real life, but I liked the phrase)

Only in the ewe essay.

Samurai
05-29-2005, 05:50 PM
Been around for a while, but I'm just waiting for that American chick to win. She's gorgeous! Danica Patrick.

What channel is it on in the UK? I haven't bought my tv-guide yet :(

JPaul
05-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Skysports 3

DarthInsinuate
05-29-2005, 05:55 PM
i'd expect it to be on Eurosport or Sky Sports

JPaul
05-29-2005, 05:55 PM
http://www.futaba.com/motorsports/drivers/d_patrick/images/danica_patrick.jpg

JPaul
05-29-2005, 05:56 PM
She's a bit like a female David Coulthard, mate.

JPaul
05-29-2005, 05:58 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20041213/coulthard_40502.jpg

Samurai
05-29-2005, 06:10 PM
That pic of her wasn't particularly a decent one ;)

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mntl/spo/05q2/img_danica.jpg

Samurai
05-29-2005, 06:11 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050529/capt.naa11205291718.irl_indy_500_naa112.jpg

JPaul
05-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Are you suggesting I picked a pic that made you look like a David Coulthard fancier. :ohmy:

Would I do summat like that. :naughty:

Samurai
05-29-2005, 06:19 PM
:shifty:

Samurai
05-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Man this is one exciting race? Anyone else watching this?

I want Danica Patrick to win!

JPaul
05-29-2005, 08:04 PM
It's like F1, without the driving.

That's how a woman can do it.

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 08:07 PM
who cares which driver wins? there's no skill involved :dry:

enoughfakefiles
05-29-2005, 08:08 PM
It's like F1, without the driving.

That's how a woman can do it.

I wonder how she fixes her lipstick with no rear view mirror.

The only bit i actually remembered about the indy car was when nigel mansell spewed in his helmet and still won the race. Did`nt he win the indycar championship in his first season. :ph34r:
F1>indycar

When the beeb get it back :dry:

Samurai
05-29-2005, 08:09 PM
meh she deserves to win this.

she's gone from 1st place, to having her engine stalled, going down to 16, to having her nose cone damaged and replaced, back to first place again.

she's doing so well - i can't turn away!!! :w00t: :w00t:

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Man this is one exciting race? Anyone else watching this?

I want Danica Patrick to win!
are you being sarcastic?

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 08:10 PM
meh she deserves to win this.

she's gone from 1st place, to having her engine stalled, going down to 16, to having her nose cone damaged and replaced, back to first place again.

she's doing so well - i can't turn away!!! :w00t: :w00t:
my god! you aren't are you?

Samurai
05-29-2005, 08:12 PM
shut up gepper - if you're not interested in this, fuck off

Samurai
05-29-2005, 08:14 PM
she's finished 4th after a yellow flag was produced for a crash that happened :(

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 08:17 PM
who cares?

none of it is down to her. it's down to the mechanics. i see how it could be good for publicity though :unsure:

i'd like to see how she performs on a real track :smilie4:

Virtualbody1234
05-29-2005, 08:21 PM
I'd like to see how well you would perform. Even with the best mechanics of the bunch.

Samurai
05-29-2005, 08:23 PM
did you even watch the race?
have you seen everything that she's done in this race?

her car spun 360 degrees, and she still kept it going. was involved in a major accident and still kept going. refused to enter the pits for fuel and knew that if she didn't control her fuel consumption she wouldn't finish the race.

you don't know what you're talking about.

all down to the mechanics eh? i guess that's the answer to everything isn't it. don't pronounce winners of races, instead reward the car manufacturers. how fucking retarded :dry:

JPaul
05-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Let's face it chaps, oval racing is a wee hair silly.

They even put smaller wheels / tyres on the LHS to make it easier to go round the corners.

The cars pull to the left FFS.

enoughfakefiles
05-29-2005, 08:29 PM

her car spun 360 degrees, and she still kept it going. was involved in a major accident and still kept going. refused to enter the pits for fuel and knew that if she didn't control her fuel consumption she wouldn't finish the race.

all down to the mechanics eh? i guess that's the answer to everything isn't it. don't pronounce winners of races, instead reward the car manufacturers. how fucking retarded :dry:

Michael schumacher doing well this season now his car on par with most of the others. :rolleyes:

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 08:29 PM

gotta quote this before you change it...

big deal. she was in two accidents. there's not much anybody could've done about that. what were the causes? i'd guess either driver fatigue or pit crew not doing their job properly

maybe these things were all down to a gamble. experience can be very handy in these situations, but it's not talent. an F1, rally, touring car, go kart, pretty much any other competetive driver has to judge their speed into turns, turns with no camber :P . really think about overtaking. go through the gear box several times a race, differently through every section. stick to the racing line. all the while relying on a pit crew to tell them the best tactics to go through the next lap.

what does an indy car driver going round an oval do? drive round in circles as fast as the car will go all the time. slipstream then overtake when your car is a mile an hour faster for some reason. maybe avoid an accident every so often, which doesn't really involve skill; just hope the bit of smoke you go through doesn't contain wreckage.

answer to everything? wtf, i guess you come to expect me saying that as i say it so often. i think pretty much all motor sports have a manufacturers league too :wacko:

Samurai
05-29-2005, 08:31 PM
man you really are an idiot you know that.

stick to your wwf - realism at it's best young kiddie ;)

JPaul
05-29-2005, 08:44 PM
man you really are an idiot you know that.

stick to your wwf - realism at it's best young kiddie ;)
It's WWE now, do you even watch it.

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 08:47 PM
I'd like to see how well you would perform. Even with the best mechanics of the bunch.
as long as i get paid. i imagine it gets pretty boring after 20 laps when the rush of going so fast wares off

Samurai
05-29-2005, 08:52 PM
so to summerise you know nothing about indy racing and decided to post in this thread to provoke a reaction from those who enjoy it, right?

think you need to go back home (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/forumdisplay.php?f=10)

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 09:00 PM
to be honest, i would have had no problem if you said the teams spend millions of dollars and work with some of the best mechanics and designers trying to make the most aerodynamic cars. working out how to get a few extra bhp out of the engine. cutting wieght, working out the best angle for the wings...

but no, you tried to say the driver is an important attribute which they just aren't.

maybe a driver knows the perfect timing to change gears but i reckon anyone could with a dozen starts. and the gambles of when to take over is largely down to them. the only skill they excel in is endurance. if that's a skill :unsure:

JPaul
05-29-2005, 09:02 PM
The driver is very important in real turny type racing, no where near as much in oval racing.

Samurai
05-29-2005, 09:02 PM
i refer you back to my previous post...

so to summerise you know nothing about indy racing and decided to post in this thread to provoke a reaction from those who enjoy it, right?

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 09:05 PM
i refer you back to my previous post...

seriously. my opinion is that the drivers don't contribute much to the race.

believe me i admire the teams, but the sport is boring and the drivers don't need to do much

Virtualbody1234
05-29-2005, 09:11 PM
It's true that the car performance is a huge factor. The driver still makes a difference although at that level of talent they are all close to each other.

What doesn't make any sense is you saying that "there's no skill involved". That's just bullshit and you know it. As I said before... Let's see how well you would do if we put you behind the wheel. Last or more like crashed.

Samurai
05-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Aside from the fact they're going at 200+ mph and more likely all congregated in one spot in cars that weigh next to nothing, yea i guess it doesn't require skill at all :rolleyes:

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 09:21 PM
all in one spot with a relative speed of around 5 mph :rolleyes:

manker
05-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Feck's sake, obviously if you put a weaker driver in a strong car and a strong driver in a weak car -- the weak driver in the strong car would win.

Saying that a non-Indy car driver wouldn't win adds nothing to the point of view which says that driver skill is paramount. It really isn't. Driving around a track where corners aren't regulation makes the driver skill more important.

There really can be no discussion on the matter - that's how it is.

Virtualbody1234
05-29-2005, 10:01 PM
There is still skill involved. No matter how you look at it.

Obviously the "there's no skill involved" comment is just wrong.

That's how it is.

manker
05-29-2005, 10:06 PM

That's how it is.No one said there is no skil involved. There is skill involved in me using a keyboard. The pertinence of skill lies in the relevance of the driver. As it is the drivers skill is superceeded by that of the technical know-how of the team behind him.

Your comment is irrelevant.

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 10:11 PM
seriously i reckon you could mix the drivers up, give them a few a practice starts and the order the cars usually finish won't change

Nobody1234
05-29-2005, 10:14 PM

That's how it is.No one said there is no skil involved. There is skill involved in me using a keyboard. The pertinence of skill lies in the relevance of the driver. As it is the drivers skill is superceeded by that of the technical know-how of the team behind him.

Irrelevant eh?

Well what is this then?

manker
05-29-2005, 10:23 PM
No one said there is no skil involved. There is skill involved in me using a keyboard. The pertinence of skill lies in the relevance of the driver. As it is the drivers skill is superceeded by that of the technical know-how of the team behind him.

Irrelevant eh?

Well what is this then?

who cares which driver wins? there's no skill involved :dry:What you've got to do is look at it in context. If I said that George Bush was a moron, I may have merit in what I say relating to other presidents and indeed other politicians -- but compared to people who have a mental disability, I'm clearly in the wrong by saying that.

I'm completely positive that Dave wasn't presuming that an aubergine could drive an Indy car.

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 10:26 PM
i bet a four year old with stilts or a fearless monkey could though

Nobody1234
05-29-2005, 10:28 PM
See what I mean? He is just tryng to get a reaction here or he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

GepperRankins
05-29-2005, 10:32 PM
ok that was an exxageration.

my point is there is so little work put in by the drivers, they shouldn't looked upon like they are the reason cars win races

manker
05-29-2005, 10:33 PM
See what I mean? He is just tryng to get a reaction here or he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.Or he might be having a laugh.

Point is that driver skill is superceeded by that of the technical know-how of the team behind him.

Someone else may have correctly asserted that earlier.

Since sport is traditionally man Vs man, this devalues it as a sport, somewhat. In my humble opinion.

worldpease
05-30-2005, 06:02 AM
Damn,
for the first time ever I watched the entire race,
just yesterday I believe I heard or read somthing about Patrick,
and then today when I got to work, I turned the TV on
and the race was about to start, and since there was nothing better,
I stayed on ABC... I loved it, I had never thought it could
actualy be exiting, I loved 23 year old Patrick, (she's the girl right?).
I might never look at this kind of racing the same again.

btw, does this kind of race have a name, like NASCAR does?

Samurai
05-30-2005, 06:37 AM
It's Indycar racing (aka Indy500)

Glad someone else enjoyed it. The thread was wrecked by fuckers from the Lounge who think they know everything.

Thrilling race though eh!