PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cell Phones

micolithe
05-31-2005, 02:31 AM
So, basically I've never had a cell phone before. You may be saying to yourself "WHAAAT? A 17 year old with no cell phone? The world I know is a lie!" and, well, the reason I never needed one before is because I really have nobody I would actually talk to besides my friends, and they tend to prefer AIM since we're all usually at one of their houses. My mom wants me to get one because I'm going away to college next year and now I have a car and she's paranoid that I'll be stuck on the side of the road.

BUT I DIGRESS! The question I pose to you, internet, is this: What are some phones that I can basically just connect to my computer and use mp3s as ringtones and jpg/bmp/gif's as backgrounds. That's all I really want it to do. Cause they don't make ringtones of the songs I like.

Any brand/company is fine, as long as it's still commerically available.

GepperRankins
05-31-2005, 02:34 AM
in my experience anything that isn't siemens has a battery life shorter than a mayfly :unsure:

Busyman
05-31-2005, 03:10 AM
So, basically I've never had a cell phone before. You may be saying to yourself "WHAAAT? A 17 year old with no cell phone? The world I know is a lie!" and, well, the reason I never needed one before is because I really have nobody I would actually talk to besides my friends, and they tend to prefer AIM since we're all usually at one of their houses. My mom wants me to get one because I'm going away to college next year and now I have a car and she's paranoid that I'll be stuck on the side of the road.

BUT I DIGRESS! The question I pose to you, internet, is this: What are some phones that I can basically just connect to my computer and use mp3s as ringtones and jpg/bmp/gif's as backgrounds. That's all I really want it to do. Cause they don't make ringtones of the songs I like.

This is the one I use.

http://www.palmone.com/us/images/products/smartphones/treo600/photos/photos_frontview.jpg

It pretty much does everything.

Rip The Jacker
05-31-2005, 03:16 AM
@Busyman
The image doesn't load.

Just about all of the newer phones can use MP3's as ringtones and JPEG's as backrounds. Look around www.phonescoop.com and see what you like...

RPerry
05-31-2005, 03:47 AM
@Busyman
The image doesn't load.

Image loads fine here :huh:

Rip The Jacker
05-31-2005, 03:51 AM
@Busyman
The image doesn't load.

Image loads fine here :huh:
Hmmm... refreshed the page, now it shows up fine. Weird. :unsure:

JPaul
05-31-2005, 09:33 AM
Get one which is bluetooth enabled.

A decent adapter (for PC) can be had for £15 - £20.

It is then a piece of cake to transfer images, video, mp3 to and from the phone.

Cool Edit is a neat bit of software for making your ringtones from MP3 files.

Easy Thumbnails is good for crunching (shrinking) jpg etc for use as wallpaper etc. A good quality pic, shrunk to fit your screen resolution will be about 6 or 7 kb.

manker
05-31-2005, 09:44 AM
It pretty much does everything.Doesn't look like it can take pictures :snooty:

My contract is at it's annual renewal stage where I can upgrade my phone for free. I'm not really one for following the mobile phone market but the next phone up from my Sharp GX30 is huge. What I'm looking for is a phone with at least a 1megapixel camera and is quite small.

Provided I can also phone people and text them, aesthetics is the only other important thing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tikibonbon
05-31-2005, 12:49 PM

Notice the camera icon in the top right hand corner of the screen? :)

Busyman
05-31-2005, 12:58 PM
http://www.palmone.com/us/images/products/smartphones/treo600/views_treo600.jpg
STFU!!! :lol: :lol: That's where my new picturin' has been comin' from.

I'm about to upgrade to this...
http://www.palmone.com/us/images/products/smartphones/treo650/details_treo650.jpg

Verizon just got it in!!! :w00t:

manker
05-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Doesn't look like it can take pictures :snooty:

Notice the camera icon in the top right hand corner of the screen? :):ermm: :blushing:

Clearly not.

It may as well not have one, tho' :snooty:

• VGA with 640x480 (0.3 megapixels) resolution and automatic light balancing

Busyman
05-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Notice the camera icon in the top right hand corner of the screen? :):ermm: :blushing:

Clearly not.

It may as well not have one, tho' :snooty:

• VGA with 640x480 (0.3 megapixels) resolution and automatic light balancing
I must agree. The picture quality sucks (you've seen them in the shoe and the bum threads).

That's why I'm upgrading. :snooty:

edit: Your Puma pics didn't look any better btw...oh and :snooty:

manker
05-31-2005, 01:08 PM
edit: Your Puma pics didn't look any better btw...oh and :snooty:That's why I'm upgrading :snooty:

GepperRankins
05-31-2005, 01:09 PM
does it have a tazer?

Busyman
05-31-2005, 01:09 PM
edit: Your Puma pics didn't look any better btw...oh and :snooty:That's why I'm upgrading :snooty:
:lol: :lol:

Rat Faced
05-31-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm showing my age...

I only use them to txt and ring people.. Isnt that what they're for? :blink:

Busyman
05-31-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm showing my age...

I only use them to txt and ring people.. Isnt that what they're for? :blink:
Hell naw.

I always have a camera on me, I get email, put my grocery list on it, buy movie tickets online if I'm out (you know..for a movie that might sell out and I don't have to wait in line), play games (that I get free)...

It's an all-in-one solution.

GepperRankins
05-31-2005, 02:01 PM
i use my phone for calls and text and i use my camera to take pictures. my camera has focus and more than 640x480 resolution :01:

BigBank_Hank
05-31-2005, 03:09 PM
I for one never really understood why anyone would want to text message someone. Sitting there typing out things on the phone is stupid. It’s a hell of a lot more easy to just dial the number of the person that you wanted to talk to and actually talk to them.

GepperRankins
05-31-2005, 03:15 PM
but when you don't want to talk to them it's useful :ohmy:

Busyman
05-31-2005, 03:16 PM
I for one never really understood why anyone would want to text message someone. Sitting there typing out things on the phone is stupid. It’s a hell of a lot more easy to just dial the number of the person that you wanted to talk to and actually talk to them.
Notice I said nothing of text messaging on my "things I do with cell phone" list.

I'll text message if I'm on my computer but rarely do it with teh phone. I text message more with the Treo than with my previous phones though.

Who the fuck wants to press 7 three times to a S, 4 twice for a H, 4 again three times for an I, and luckily 8 once for a T?

It's all a bunch of crap. :dry:

GepperRankins
05-31-2005, 03:35 PM
22887777999#4447777#2#926655827773 :01:

Rat Faced
05-31-2005, 04:27 PM
22887777999#4447777#2#926655827773 :01:

Shouldnt that be 2288777799904447777020926655827773?

JPaul will crusify you for that bad grammer...

:ph34r:

JPaul
05-31-2005, 04:31 PM
I is flabbergasted at the pish grammer used in that post.

1 de-merit.

GepperRankins
05-31-2005, 04:41 PM
different phone :ermm:

DanB
05-31-2005, 05:08 PM
Notice I said nothing of text messaging on my "things I do with cell phone" list.

I'll text message if I'm on my computer but rarely do it with teh phone. I text message more with the Treo than with my previous phones though.

Who the fuck wants to press 7 three times to a S, 4 twice for a H, 4 again three times for an I, and luckily 8 once for a T?

Do phones in the US not have predictive text? :unsure:

manker
05-31-2005, 05:13 PM

Do phones in the US not have predictive text? :unsure:What the dual!!11

JPaul
05-31-2005, 05:19 PM

Yeah, but it really fecks up when your trying to type "shizzle me nizzle, shitbreath"

manker
05-31-2005, 05:21 PM
I for one never really understood why anyone would want to text message someone. Sitting there typing out things on the phone is stupid. It’s a hell of a lot more easy to just dial the number of the person that you wanted to talk to and actually talk to them.It's good for surreptitious stuff, like when the person you want to contact might have others in the room who won't appreciate your wit filled message of bonhomie.

You can also use smilies :ermm:

manker
05-31-2005, 05:23 PM
Yeah, but it really fecks up when your trying to type "shizzle me nizzle, shitbreath"I have omgwtfbbq!!1 in my T9 dictionary, plus other non-traditional spiel, such as cawk, Babycham and arseface.

DanB
05-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Yeah, but it really fecks up when your trying to type "shizzle me nizzle, shitbreath"

But you would oly ever have to type them in once, well on my phone at least, cos it remembers them after you have 'taught' them to it :01:

Texts are good when you are just sending shit that it isnt worth a phone call. For example I might send manker a text message on Friday evening saying oi oi welsh boyo!!111 but to ring him up just to say that would be stupid

manker
05-31-2005, 05:27 PM
Yeah, but you have rung me up and just said, oi oi oi Welsh Boyo!

Admittedly, that was voice mail :D

DanB
05-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Yeah, but you have rung me up and just said, oi oi oi Welsh Boyo!

Admittedly, that was voice mail :D

In my above comment about stupid please also add drunk :lol: :blushing:

Busyman
05-31-2005, 05:43 PM

But in many cases I am not predictable. :mellow:

sArA
05-31-2005, 07:14 PM
I have a Motorolla E1000 and it is a pile of poo....battery doesn't last a day, its heavy and I have had 3 replacements in 4 months....Vodafone are letting me pick a new one even though my contract has 6 months left....

Thinking of getting Sharp GX30i, used to have the GX10 and that was a really good phone, wish I hadn't changed it....

GepperRankins
05-31-2005, 08:44 PM
predictive text is for dialieads :dry:

JPaul
05-31-2005, 08:56 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DanB
05-31-2005, 09:20 PM

?? :angry:

barrymahoney
06-06-2005, 12:09 PM
The best, simplest and cheapest at the moment is the Samsung D500, try it.

yonki
06-07-2005, 09:46 AM
You want Sony Ericsson W800 (available just when you start college)

manker
06-07-2005, 09:48 AM
My contract is at it's annual renewal stage where I can upgrade my phone for free. I'm not really one for following the mobile phone market but the next phone up from my Sharp GX30 is huge. What I'm looking for is a phone with at least a 1megapixel camera and is quite small.

Provided I can also phone people and text them, aesthetics is the only other important thing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks.

I got this one and I've no idea how it works :snooty:

http://211.78.161.52/gdpageimg/Motorola-V3-F1.jpg

Busyman
06-07-2005, 12:29 PM

Any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks.

I like the way that phone looks but it sucks on features.

Unlike you, I want ayething on my phone. :snooty:

BawA
06-07-2005, 01:55 PM

best choice is either nokia 6630 or 9500, i personaly have 9500.. it comes with a stand which connects u with computer as u plug ur mobile to it and then u can transfer file between them, the PC Suite software which comes with it will help u to convert any song u want and import it to ur cell, u can upload any image to ur cell and use it as u Background, it has most multimedia tools installed and many more which can be installed on it. it basicly just like Pocket PC.
Has Camera with abelity of capturing Movies upto 1 hr.
most of all it can connect to internet with Boradband speed, has most of office tools like MS Word and Excel, powerfull calender.
http://mobile.softpedia.com/phones/Nokia/Nokia-9500.shtml
http://mobile.softpedia.com/phones/Nokia/Nokia-6630.shtml

Edit: another option is I-mate PocketPc
http://mobile.softpedia.com/phones/i-mate/i-mate-Pocket-PC.shtml

manker
06-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks.

I like the way that phone looks but it sucks on features.

Unlike you, I want ayething on my phone. :snooty:I couldn't be arsed to shop around and since no one said; manker; get this one 'cos it rawks - I bought a pretty one :snooty: