PDA

View Full Version : If your in a totally sealed room....

enoughfakefiles
05-31-2005, 07:55 PM
and you turn out the light where does the light go.??? :unsure:

99%
05-31-2005, 08:01 PM
1. your title embeds total claustofobia into my soul - imagine being locked in a luggage locker at central station... total hell
2. the light bounces off the walls & off your reflective dressing until it finds the blackholes of your nostrils or your mouth,
from there it travels at light speed to your brain...hopefully...
and voila you get an idea.....
of how to gettfk out of this confined space (or post a thread).

Virtualbody1234
05-31-2005, 08:05 PM
The light goes out.

JPaul
05-31-2005, 08:05 PM
It stays, certainly if it is it's particulate state.

How could it go anywhere if the room is totally sealed, that's just mad.

99%
05-31-2005, 08:10 PM
poor light particle :cry: forever trapped inside a sealed room - nowhere to go :cry:

Gripper
05-31-2005, 08:11 PM
OMGWTF I'm blind

bigboab
05-31-2005, 09:17 PM
You can only perceive reflected light. Ergo when you switch the source of light out there is no light to reflect.:unsure:

DanB
05-31-2005, 09:22 PM
OMGWTF I'm blind

:pinch:

GepperRankins
05-31-2005, 09:40 PM
light particle :ohmy:

JPaul
05-31-2005, 09:44 PM
You can only perceive reflected light. Ergo when you switch the source of light out there is no light to reflect.:unsure:
The question didn't relate to it's perception, it related to the light itself.

Where does the light go, not how is it then perceived.

JPaul
05-31-2005, 09:46 PM
light particle :ohmy:
Yup.

99%
05-31-2005, 09:52 PM
some Dude/dess once said "i am the light" and then left it for all humans to try to understand.
Later some other dude(dess) said " get out of my shadow" at which - he /she beat the shit out of you n order to move.
Light is the essence of our existence (yes that means you too webworld)

btw enoughfakefiles did your present thought relate to recent viewing of mibII ?

enoughfakefiles
05-31-2005, 09:54 PM
btw enoughfakefiles did your present thought relate to recent viewing of mibII ?

Erm... no, i do have an answer though. :D

99%
05-31-2005, 10:02 PM
, i do have an answer though. :D

oh wise saddhu please grant us the answer to your wisdom- where does the light go?
(and please donęt tell us that the light is found in our hearts or else i will puke oh wise gurusaddhuwise one)

bigboab
05-31-2005, 10:05 PM

Assuming the room is perfectly sealed. I should say impossible to achieve, otherwise you would not be able to light the room. The the room will remain lit until it is absorbed by the light source. At the speed of light I should not imagine that would take long.

JPaul
05-31-2005, 10:10 PM

Assuming the room is perfectly sealed. I should say impossible to achieve, otherwise you would not be able to light the room. The the room will remain lit until it is absorbed by the light source. At the speed of light I should not imagine that would take long.
The light must all stay in the room, it's obvious.

99%
05-31-2005, 10:11 PM
the source of the light has to be constant
if the light flashes /as you say bigboab) for a mere second it will last a mere secend depending on the distance of the walls +%&¤#=to the eye it will always be a mere second
sound probably has the same effect but prpably lasts longer due to vibrations (wall dependency)
hence solution equals = plug ipod in ear sockets and always wear shades for maximum effect.

n0ob physics at work

bigboab
05-31-2005, 10:18 PM
The light must all stay in the room, it's obvious.

Prove it.:)

ziggyjuarez
This is some tripppy stuff man :ohmy:

JPaul
Oh FFS

Right

Light is either a particle or a wave (energy), it is known as the duality of light.

If it is a particle and the room is perfectly sealed then it cannot leave the room. Remember we are discussing a hypothetical here, where the room is perfectly sealed.

If it is a wave then it bumps into a physical object, most of the energy is absorbed by the particles it hits, we see what is reflected. So something red absorbs all of the energy except the red. Which is then reflected away and absorbed elsewhere.

The room becomes dark, but all of the light is still there, either as particles or as energy.

Which part of that is hard to understand.

enoughfakefiles
05-31-2005, 10:19 PM
I`m led to believe that the light is absorbed.

Have you been on google boab. :shifty:

99%
05-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Oh FFS

Right

Light is either a particle or a wave (energy), it is known as the duality of light.

If it is a particle and the room is perfectly sealed then it cannot leave the room. Remember we are discussing a hypothetical here, where the room is perfectly sealed.

If it is a wave then it bumps into a physical object, most of the energy is absorbed by the particles it hits, we see what is reflected. So something red absorbs all of the energy except the red. Which is then reflected away and absorbed elsewhere.

The room becomes dark, but all of the light is still there, either as particles or as energy.

Which part of that is hard to understand.

i must retreat due to lack of knowledge.
all i can say is guessing stuff which is; nothing lasts forever - aka...
i believe in the the "autofade theory" - mortality of all things
light has a life span as does sound - in relation to your theory even if the light particle is "absorbed elsewhere"/last sentence) it means that all things created last forever.........ok they get transformed
but
does this also apply to the "glint" in the eye of a good, happy person or it too gets "becomes dark, but all of the light is still there, either as particles or as energy."?

bigboab
05-31-2005, 10:33 PM
I`m led to believe that the light is absorbed.

Have you been on google boab. :shifty:
I have now.:) Prior to that it was guesswork.

Photons exhibit the behaviors of both particles and waves. Only the wave behaviors are observable. In your example, the particle behavior of a photon is focus of your queston. As soon as a photon is reflected (off the inside side of a box), it becomes an electron. Electrons are invisible. Once the photon source is removed, the life cycle of the remaining photons lasts only until they are first reflected. As a practical matter, since light (or a photon) travels at a speed of 299,792,458 m/s, all the photons would be long gone before the box was opened.

Same principle as a room.:)

JPaul
05-31-2005, 10:56 PM

Photons exhibit the behaviors of both particles and waves. Only the wave behaviors are observable. In your example, the particle behavior of a photon is focus of your queston. As soon as a photon is reflected (off the inside side of a box), it becomes an electron. Electrons are invisible. Once the photon source is removed, the life cycle of the remaining photons lasts only until they are first reflected. As a practical matter, since light (or a photon) travels at a speed of 299,792,458 m/s, all the photons would be long gone before the box was opened.

Exactly, the mass or the energy stays within the perfectly sealed room.

The photons are gone, the room is dark, but the light is still there, either as mass or energy. The reflection is only the energy which was not absorbed.

bigboab
05-31-2005, 11:14 PM

The photons are gone, the room is dark, but the light is still there, either as mass or energy. The reflection is only the energy which was not absorbed.

The question was what happens to the light. As seen above it is eventually all absorbed.

JPaul
05-31-2005, 11:20 PM

The question was what happens to the light. As seen above it is eventually all absorbed.
I think you will find the question was ".... where does the light go.???"

As you say it is absorbed, therefore it is all still inside the room. Like I said.

bigboab
05-31-2005, 11:27 PM
I think you will find the question was ".... where does the light go.???"

As you say it is absorbed, therefore it is all still inside the room. Like I said.

Read the statement it ceases to be light, it is converted to electrons therefore it is not light anymore. The light is converted to electrons when it bounces of the walls.

JPaul
05-31-2005, 11:48 PM
Last try.

A perfectly sealed room is a closed system. Call it a universe if you will, that may make it simpler.

Nothing can leave a closed system, it can only change form between energy and matter.

The light which is originaly energy or matter, becomes energy or matter. It changes form but it is still there.

Therefore it does not go anywhere, but stays in the room. Which is the answer to the question posed.

TTFN

lynx
06-01-2005, 12:20 AM
If you fart in the room, does it smell forever?

But what happens if you light the fart, do you get light?

or fart?

bigboab
06-01-2005, 08:35 AM

In other words, it changes form.

Nonetheless, very nicely done, my good man.

Not being a Physicist I will have to agree to disagree on this one. Their are variable missing in this argument. How long is the light left on. How long after it is switched off do you measure the contents of the room, if it was possible to do so. If the light has been left off for a while then it will have dissipated to the original state of the room. Ergo it no longer exists.

If the light is left on too long them there is every likelyhood that the room would eventually explode.

I will leave it at that until someone with the appropriate qualifications comes along and shows me why I am wrong, if so.:)

manker
06-01-2005, 09:23 AM
I will leave it at that until someone with the appropriate qualifications comes along and shows me why I am wrong, if so.In my capacity as a bank clerk, Boab, I can tell you that energy nor matter simply disappears. It cannot, therefore the energy must go somewhere. In the case of a perfectly sealed room, it can't escape.

The walls of the room, plus anything else contained in the room will absorb the light, much of it will get converted into heat energy and since the room is perfectly sealed the room will get hotter and hotter - because the heat can't escape. Eventually the walls would melt and the energy would escape.

In short, unless the perfectly sealed room is not perfectly sealed, thus creating a different scenario, all of the light is still in the room, it's just not light anymore.

Yeah -- what JP said.

Btw, I found your source (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=29549). It's basically an answer in a forum, that's like someone quoting me writing here as a valid source in an argument about the best gifts to buy your missus at xmas :lol:

bigboab
06-01-2005, 09:28 AM
I will leave it at that until someone with the appropriate qualifications comes along and shows me why I am wrong, if so.In my capacity as a bank clerk, Boab, I can tell you that energy nor matter simply disappears. It cannot, therefore the energy must go somewhere. In the case of a perfectly sealed room, it can't escape.

The walls of the room, plus anything else contained in the room will absorb the light, much of it will get converted into heat energy and since the room is perfectly sealed the room will get hotter and hotter - because the heat can't escape. Eventually the walls would melt and the energy would escape.

In short, unless the perfectly sealed room is not perfectly sealed, thus creating a different scenario, all of the light is still in the room, it's just not light anymore.

Yeah -- what JP said.

Btw, I found your source (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=29549). It's basically an answer in a forum, that's like someone quoting me writing here as a valid source in an argument about the best gifts to buy your missus at xmas :lol:

bigboab
06-01-2005, 09:34 AM
In my capacity as a bank clerk, Boab, I can tell you that energy nor matter simply disappears. It cannot, therefore the energy must go somewhere. In the case of a perfectly sealed room, it can't escape.

Yeah -- what JP said.

For F*ck sake that is the whole point. It is not light anymore. By the way that was not the only source I looked up and there is general disagreement as to how long it would be before the room returned to the state it was in before the light was switched on. I see you agre with the room overheating.:)

P.S Stop studying physics and see to my bank account.:lol:

manker
06-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Sorry, Boab. You're misunderstanding something quite important.

Light is energy, the poster asked where does that light (energy) go?

The answer is that it stays in the room.

MCHeshPants420
06-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Weak joke number 427:

http://pages.ripco.net/~bones/seal7.jpg

bigboab
06-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Btw, I found your source (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=29549). It's basically an answer in a forum, that's like someone quoting me writing here as a valid source in an argument about the best gifts to buy your missus at xmas

In other words answers here are not worth quoting as an answer to a Physics problem. Thank you for that.:lol:

I will close at that. There does not seem any point in carrying it on any further.:lol:

manker
06-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Btw, I found your source (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=29549). It's basically an answer in a forum, that's like someone quoting me writing here as a valid source in an argument about the best gifts to buy your missus at xmas

In other words answers here are not worth quoting as an answer to a Physics problem. Thank you for that.:lol:

I will close at that. There does not seem any point in carrying it on any further.:lol:I'm just saying that since you went to the trouble of finding something out from someone on the interweb, you should have used a site with verified data, rather than use conjecture. I consider it pretty bad form not to provide a source, hence the reason I went looking for your own. It might have been from the mentalist guide to fizzics for all I knew.

You'll agree that using the Nasa site to define the distance that the Earth is from the Sun is far better than quoting someone at t'Moderation (http://moderation.invisionzone.com/index.php
) saying that that they reckon it's further than the Spar - so about ten miles.

The quote you gave was actually disputed later on in the thread by other people for a good reason. Parts of it are incorrect.

Gripper
06-01-2005, 12:29 PM
If it is a perfectly sealed room,stop worrying about where the lights going start worrying about when the airs gonna run out

sArA
06-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Problem here is that if it is a totally sealed room, we need to question how the air came to be in the room. The gases that make up air oxygen, CO2, Nitrogen etc have to be made in some way and then input into the room. The problem therefore is whether the air was in the room prior to its sealing or whether the room is actually a vacuum.

I then got to wondering, would being in a vacuum affect the light, and/or its particles?

Please...No Die Soon Dyson jokes....thankyou

JPaul
06-01-2005, 12:48 PM
If it is a perfectly sealed room,stop worrying about where the lights going start worrying about when the airs gonna run out
:lol:

How can the air run out if the room is sealed. :blink:

sArA
06-01-2005, 12:56 PM

I guess we need to know if there is anything inside the room that might use it...then we could watch it slowly suffocate....(provided that we have a viewing window of course)

JPaul
06-01-2005, 01:19 PM

I guess we need to know if there is anything inside the room that might use it...then we could watch it slowly suffocate....(provided that we have a viewing window of course)
I was using "run" in it's verbular form, as a comedic device.

Perhaps "air can't run" would have been better, but I wanted to include the sealed nature of the room.

sArA
06-01-2005, 01:59 PM

Perhaps "air can't run" would have been better, but I wanted to include the sealed nature of the room.

Silly me for thinking that you were actually staying on topic....of course, this aint t'drawing room......

Still....ha ha h... h.... _________ :ghostface (I..can't...breathe.....urrrgghhh)

Barbarossa
06-01-2005, 02:01 PM

But if there's a viewing window in the sealed room then the fecking light would get out straight away... :frusty:

This is stooopid!!! :angry:

Barbarossa
06-01-2005, 02:02 PM

Won't the seals need oxygen to breathe? :huh:

TFFTn
06-01-2005, 02:29 PM
The question is, what color is the room?

GepperRankins
06-01-2005, 02:30 PM
brilliant white :01:

TFFTn
06-01-2005, 02:32 PM

Well the light would just bounce about forever as it has nothing to absorb it.

manker
06-01-2005, 02:36 PM

Well the light would just bounce about forever as it has nothing to absorb it.Nope.

GepperRankins
06-01-2005, 02:37 PM
is it possible something could be reflective enough for that to happen?

manker
06-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Nope.

GepperRankins
06-01-2005, 02:39 PM
have you tried? :smilie4:

TFFTn
06-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Nope.

Infact yeah your right...NASA has made a 90+ something reflective material but still it would judt finally die out...simple

manker
06-01-2005, 02:40 PM
have you tried? :smilie4::lol:

I think some other people did once. It doesn't work.

GepperRankins
06-01-2005, 02:41 PM
how does glow in the dark shit work?

TFFTn
06-01-2005, 02:43 PM
how does glow in the dark shit work?

What like glow sticks?

manker
06-01-2005, 02:43 PM
how does glow in the dark shit work?I think that only happens if you've got a bowel disorder :unsure:

GepperRankins
06-01-2005, 02:44 PM
i know glowsticks work with some chemical reaction.

how do glow in the dark stickers and stuff work though?

manker
06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Nope.

Infact yeah your right...NASA has made a 90+ something reflective material but still it would judt finally die out...simpleI read the same thing earlier when looking at information from Boab's uber-source :D

manker
06-01-2005, 02:46 PM

how do glow in the dark stickers and stuff work though?They run out in the night once the light has been off long enough so at a guess I'd say they store up light energy and release it slowly over a period of time.

:ermm:

GepperRankins
06-01-2005, 02:46 PM

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question388.htm

dumbass :dry:

TFFTn
06-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Infact yeah your right...NASA has made a 90+ something reflective material but still it would judt finally die out...simpleI read the same thing earlier when looking at information from Boab's uber-source :D

I knew it from other sourses..if u know what i mean :shifty:

manker
06-01-2005, 02:49 PM

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question388.htm

dumbass :dry:Meh, I was right :dry:

GepperRankins
06-01-2005, 02:50 PM
do expensive watches give you cancer?

manker
06-01-2005, 02:50 PM
do expensive watches give you cancer?No.

GepperRankins
06-01-2005, 02:52 PM
do expensive watches give you cancer?No.
i think you're in denial :(

manker
06-01-2005, 02:55 PM
No.
i think you're in denial :(I once had a particularly expensive watch - did I lose it just in time.

Gripper
06-01-2005, 10:07 PM
If you lost your thread in a field how would you go about finding it or would you just chalk it up to experience

JPaul
06-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Phosphorescence.

Gripper
06-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Shine on harvey moon :)

JPaul
06-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Shine on harvey moon :)
Up in the sky