PDA

View Full Version : Is Rodi BitTorrent's Replacement?

Illuminati
05-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Rodi is a small-client P2P application, written in Java, that improves on BitTorrent by allowing both content searches and full anonymity. It’s released under the General Public License (GNU).

Even your IP address can be hidden using Rodi through a process called "bouncing." That is, if A wants a file from B, they get C to agree to stand-in on the exchange. B gets C’s IP address, not A’s. Through IP Spoofing A can even hide their identity from C.

Rodi can also be used from behind corporate firewalls and LANs using Network Address Translation (NATs), something most home gateways have.

The person behind Rodi (the name means pomegranate in Greek) identifies himself only as LaryTet, an Israeli male living in Tel Aviv. He is publicizing his creation because he wants some help, both financial and technical, in making the user interface something that anyone can use.

Here is how he explained his situation to me:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am struggling to find beta testers. So far methlabs.org helped me here and there, but they are open source too, live from donations and have their own projects. Independent technical evaluation of the project would be nice too. I am not a network guru. I spent last 10 years in telecom.

If you decide to run "real-life" test you will need to arrange that. Contact me or post on methlabs.org or Planet Peer (http://board.planetpeer.de/index.php/topic,862.0.html) - guys there will help. Online docs are a mess of functional requirements/software requirements/design. Not everything you will find there is implemented and not everything is implemented as designed. In some places I used shortcuts to bring proof-of-concept fast. There is long thread on p2pforums (http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=11246).

Despite all these advances, LaryTet does not believe p2p technologies will stay ahead of the Copyright Police. "It depends on how tolerant ISPs are going to be to the ‘parasitic’ traffic," he told Integrity P2P. "Traffic analyzers can be very effective. Enforcement of this or that policy is technologically possible today and getting cheaper and easier every minute." When ISPs are content owners — as with AOL — there is a huge financial incentive to control IP access centrally. " I guess that Rodi will not survive 10 years, but I hope that some ideas from Rodi will," he concludes.

Personally I agree with LaryTet’s analysis. Faith in technology to trump the financial interests of the copyright industries is misplaced. I would much prefer a copyright compromise implemented through law, but right now a major political earthquake would be required for that to occur.

Meanwhile, the Copyright Wars continue, and Rodi is just the next weapon.

Source: ZDNet (http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=303)
Link: Rodi website (http://larytet.sourceforge.net/tryRodi.shtml)

4play
06-01-2005, 12:42 AM
cant really see this taking off as with any p2p app that uses bouncing will be dependend of the speed of 2 other peers rather then just one. as anyone who has used freenet before knows this can mean terrible speeds.

bouncing and spoofing was meant to be included in the next version of earth station 5 and this being coded in tel aviv kind of makes me think sharepro is behind this in some way.

RealitY
06-01-2005, 06:30 AM
This actually sounds somewhat interesting as well have to see where it goes as apps that can or say they can do similar such as Antz have yet to grow into the mainstream. With the take downs ocurring in BT which is just way to mainstream these types of apps may yet find their place in the mainstream perhaps...

Money Fist
06-01-2005, 06:59 AM
I hope this program flourishs in the P2P world
but i have a feeling its going to end up just like that MUTE program
and did it have to be written in Java :(

ADDED: WTF is that red picture thing?

Illuminati
06-01-2005, 07:04 AM
ADDED: WTF is that red picture thing?

That is a Rodi, or in english a Pomegranate.

Rodi is Greek for pomegranate, a fruit whose tough skin encloses a multitude of red seeds surrounded by juicy pulp. It figures in the cuisines of countries from Spain to Lebanon, ancient Egyptians revered it as a symbol of love and fertility (all those seeds), and both Greek mythology and Christian lore mention it.

Looks like Larytet is using the pomegranate is Rodi's logo.

Money Fist
06-01-2005, 07:17 AM

yea a sqaure one, would make sense tho
everything is made of sqaures in the computer world

ziggyjuarez
06-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Kazaa2 here we come!But i hope it turns into something great unlike that other app,i forget what its called.all the luck :)

larytet
06-07-2005, 11:21 PM

yea a sqaure one, would make sense tho
everything is made of sqaures in the computer world

it's a magic box you see. you can find there everything and in the same time it's a seed(s) or probably The Seed.

lary1
06-17-2006, 07:15 PM
new project of larytet

goMyPlace is an open source project allowing to access PC/Linux/Mac remotely with a couple of interesting twists

participate in testing by downloading a file from http://208.109.20.145/j4jJxRKd/redhat/?hash=EA2DCB92F729B6C3A616482CD1D029355A87DD5C:/home/arkady/gomyplace.49.com/paintings

or install the application from www.gomyplace.com