PDA

View Full Version : Old Monitor

peat moss
06-01-2005, 01:14 AM
Hey guy's not really a question but. My old Veiwsonic pro crt 17 " is giving up the ghost , a real yellow tinge . Thought hope its not the vid card . Wife says try another monitor you silly rabbit . I tryed drivers for my Ati 9700 pro and monitor refresh rates , colour profiles you name it. Dam if I didn't have two old monitors in my closet ,( from friends upgrading) . One is a 5 year old Samtron 76v , The other is a 2 year old Kds . I plugged in the Samtron and it looks GREAT......

Both look great to these old eyes tho ! To make a short story long, I know my wife was right but , is it a my video card that helps that much or what ? I think the Samtron has a Sony tube ? I mean I was prepaired to part with some hard earned cash to buy a new 19 " LCD monitor . Like the wife says bigger "IS" not allawys better ! :naughty:

Edit: Must you have to take so long to set up a new monitor ? Like is there not an auto button for cripes sake. :frusty:

Lion7718
06-01-2005, 01:28 AM
Sounds to me like your Monitor is just dying....
I bought another one last year when I was having problems..it was my Motherboard that was causing it...I just kept the New one as a spare...it took me about 1/2 hour to set that one up...more options than I will ever need.

Taken Aback
06-01-2005, 02:35 AM
I don't know about your specific monitor, but some old ones I've seen have adjustable red/blue/yellow pots in the back that you can adjust via a TV tool or screwdriver.

I'm not saying that it will fix the problem, but you may be able to compensate by potting up/down the settings.

Also, I had a monitor go blue on me, and I found out that the cable just went bad, so that may be your problem. (Or a pin problem in the connector)

peat moss
06-01-2005, 03:11 AM
Thankx fellas checked the cables and pins but think it was just getting old. Hey when you play with the colour pots you better have a good mirror right ? Or a friend or child with lots of patientence ! :D

S!X
06-01-2005, 04:34 AM
Thankx fellas checked the cables and pins but think it was just getting old. Hey when you play with the colour pots you better have a good mirror right ? Or a friend or child with lots of patientence ! :D

Toss that POS and get an LCD :D

Gripper
06-01-2005, 12:45 PM
I got lucky and picked up an acer al1711 17" LCD for £70 and its lovely,takes up hardly any room,one thing though don't clean the screen with any type of liquid cleaner it tends to bugger it :( Oh well we live an learn

Taken Aback
06-02-2005, 12:32 PM

If you actually try it, then a mirror is a good idea. :)

There's nothing worse then turning it without looking, and then having to get the tool back into the slot when you go around and see you went too far. :D

Oh, and the other guy's right. If you can afford an LCD, get one. The savings on the electricity bill is reason enough.

peat moss
06-02-2005, 12:55 PM

If you actually try it, then a mirror is a good idea. :)

There's nothing worse then turning it without looking, and then having to get the tool back into the slot when you go around and see you went too far. :D

Oh, and the other guy's right. If you can afford an LCD, get one. The savings on the electricity bill is reason enough.

The mirror trick I learnt from an old Scottish tv repair man , Named Telley Bob . My old spare will have to do for now. With a mortgage and three kids there are always other things. :lookaroun

Taken Aback
06-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I know how it is. I don't actually have an LCD at the moment for similar reasons. ;)

Incidentally, living in a big city, I notice people junking CRTs all the time, and a good amount of them are labeled as "works" by the conscientious owners putting them out. :D