PDA

View Full Version : Introducing ratDVD - the DVD movie download format?

Illuminati
06-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Here is a very interesting project, just released and there is very little user information around so far. Yet, it is enticing to say the least. RatDVD was developed as a result from the authors negative experiences of downloading movies, (which is a no - no!). Yet, the guy was frustrated because he could not get the movies he wanted in his country for months or even a year, and since movies are his hobby, he turned to the Internet. Sound familiar?

Anyway, he wanted to watch it on any DVD player - without losing any features of the original DVD and he says this is what ratDVD can do. In fact, he is touting this as a method of making movies as easy to share as MP3's due to the remarkably small file size it produces, with claimed great audio and video quality. You can even convert them back to a DVD if you like and play it in a stand alone player. Most of the time the reconstructed movie will fit on a single layer DVD. If not, you can select features to remove, alter the audio or the program can sacrifice quality to make it fit.

Supposedly, this application can take an entire full length DVD movie, regardless of extras and create a single file of around 1 gigabyte in size with no noticable loss of quality. Is it true? I don't know. Does it work? I don't know that either. But it's freeware so what the heck. Here's some info from the website. Just make sure you have WinXP, DirectX9, Windows Media Player 10 and a DVD software player installed. You'll also need about a half a gig of RAM and a 2.6 class processor with a "decent" video card.

Features:

ratDVD takes a full featured DVD movie and puts it into a highly compressed .ratDVD container format file - while preserving all the features of the original DVD such as:

Full anamorphic picture, seamless branching, multiple video angles, multiple audio channels, subpictures, etc. Keep movie versions (Directors Cut, Theatrical version, etc.), Alternate story endings, making of, video commentary , cut scenes, etc. Keep complete menus, navigation and features Reliable high quality, valid check-summed container.
http://gfx.cdfreaks.com/img/1117601751
You can directly play back the .ratDVD file - with all the options the original DVD movie would give you. Just by double clicking without the hassle of having to handle different files or the need to use special programs. You like the DVD? Well, you can simply convert it back to the original DVD format, burn it and watch it on any DVD player - again without loosing any features!

If your content is protected and you wish to make a backup, you'll need DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD or some such product. If this software pans out, it could be an enormous headache for Hollywood, that's for sure. Just make sure you are using a computer that does not contain critical assets as this software is very new. It was released May 30.

Source: CDfreaks.com (http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11893)
Link: ratdvd.dk (http://www.ratdvd.dk)

RealitY
06-03-2005, 08:10 AM
I may give this a try to see how it is...

david622
06-03-2005, 08:35 PM
ratDVD is a new program that came out a couple of days ago. Basically, it advertises that it can compress a 4.7 gig DVD movie into 1.x gigs while maintaining ALL of the extra features on the disc.

I haven't gotten it yet, but it seems pretty promising. Check out its homepage here:

http://www.ratdvd.dk/index.htm

sameer0807
06-03-2005, 08:44 PM
ratDVD is a new program that came out a couple of days ago. Basically, it advertises that it can compress a 4.7 gig DVD movie into 1.x gigs while maintaining ALL of the extra features on the disc.

I haven't gotten it yet, but it seems pretty promising. Check out its homepage here:

http://www.ratdvd.dk/index.htm

yep already know about that. It has already been posted in our forums somewhere (cant remember where)....
The program looks very intresting, I'm gonna give it a shot.

Wallace_Askew
06-04-2005, 06:11 AM
I hope it gains popularity...looks pretty sweet!

RealitY
06-04-2005, 06:27 AM
yep already know about that. It has already been posted in our forums
Merged...

Hanz™
06-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Is there a loss in quality?

Virtualbody1234
06-05-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm now testing this.

I have so far downloaded and installed the software.

I have compressed one DVD of 6.7 GB and it produced a 1.31 GB .ratDVD file.

I am now "processing" the .ratDVD file to recreate a DVD.

Everything seems to be working as it should but the process take quite a long time even with a good PC. I'll post after the DVD has been recreated.

Virtualbody1234
06-05-2005, 03:55 AM
The test has completed.

After the process was done... I was left with a folder of 4.27 GB with fully fuctioning DVD contents. The quality seems very close to the original DVD.

So overall a successful test. The only problem was the length of time it requires.

ziggyjuarez
06-05-2005, 05:44 AM
The test has completed.

After the process was done... I was left with a folder of 4.27 GB with fully fuctioning DVD contents. The quality seems very close to the original DVD.

So overall a successful test. The only problem was the length of time it requires.
What time does the normal dvd format require?What time does this new format take?

NandoIsWierd
06-05-2005, 08:36 PM
well? does it or does it not work? :lookaroun

Virtualbody1234
06-05-2005, 08:53 PM
well? does it or does it not work? :lookaroun
Didn't you read the thread?

lynx
06-06-2005, 09:19 AM
So how long did it actually take and on what sort of system? Your idea of a "long time" might not be the same as others.

And how's that compared to downloading 1.31GB of .ratDVD format file against downloading a 4.3GB disk image?

Virtualbody1234
06-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Well over 4 hours just to create the .ratDVD file on an Athlon 64 3000+ (this will vary depending on system used).

Then it takes a similar amount of time to recreate the DVD.

barrymahoney
06-06-2005, 12:31 PM
That seems a very long time.

Filliz
06-06-2005, 02:24 PM
That seems a very long time.

It's the first release of the app,so I guess that will improve over time.

NikkiD
06-06-2005, 02:32 PM
The benefits to something like this are huge. The time it takes is negligible considering the amount of time it takes to download a full dvd. Probably would be about the same to download a 1.3 GB ratdvd file and process it back to dvd as it would to download the 4.3 GB dvd, and you're saving yourself 3 GB in bandwidth at the same time. Pretty slick if it catches on.

Peerzy
06-06-2005, 03:35 PM
On my old half meg broadband 3GB would have taken me roughly 12-16 hours to complete on something like bittorent. Half meg is still the UK standard and you could just choose it to extract over night, thats what i do with encoding jobs currently.

However i doubt it will take off as a scene standard, just because it isnt a Windows reconized file system and the format and program are fairly new, just like anything thats DVD Shrink'd is NUKED right now. Nice idea for private forums sharing home made rips of movies though.

muchspl3
06-06-2005, 04:01 PM
saw my first ratdvd last night :lol: its the stepford wives if anyone wants to dl it and play with this new format

it was posted in alt.binaries.ftn

Peerzy
06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
What was the quality like Vb & Muchspl3?

Was it equal to the 4.37GB conterpart of did it show signs of quality lose?

muchspl3
06-06-2005, 04:29 PM

I haven't dl'ed it yet, might just to play with it..

Peerzy
06-06-2005, 04:30 PM

I haven't dl'ed it yet, might just to play with it..

Ahhh when you said you saw the movie i guessed that ment you had downloaded and watched.

arisia.here
06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Quality is AWESOME! With standard settings it is at least the quality of a very good XviD at a higher bit rate. And the audio stays in AC-3 which makes it also a good choice.

Converting is about realtime on my P4 HT 2,8 (means about 2 hours for an average movie).

In the future, when I have the option, I will definately download the ratdvd before I download any other format.

monkeyman1
06-08-2005, 02:14 PM
I was wondering if it was possible to make this format play with media player classic. I love mpc and i don't want to have to use wmp in order to play these files.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6481.cfm