PDA

View Full Version : DVD Decrypter - Gone, Forever!

{I}{K}{E}
06-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Hello world

I"ve got some good news and some bad news.Let’s start with the good.... (tumble weed passes by)Ok, and now onto the badVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 is the last version you"ll ever see.We hoped this day would never come, but it has, and I can promise you, nobody is more gutted about it than I am.

What started as a bit of fun, putting a GUI around some existing code, turned into something that I can only describe as ‘part of me’ – yes, I know that’s sad ;-) As I"ve recently been made aware (by a letter, hand delivered to my door, last Tuesday), due to some law that was changed back in October 2003, circumventing copy protection isn"t allowed.

Ok so it has taken a while (almost 2 years), but eventually "a certain company" has decided they don"t like what I"m doing (circumventing their protection) and have come at me like a pack of wolves. I"ve no choice but to cease everything to do with DVD Decrypter.I realise this is going to be one of those "that sucks - fight them!" kinda things, but at the end of the day, it"s my life and I"m not about to throw it all away (before it has even really started) attempting to fight a battle I can"t possibly win.

If 321 Studios can"t do it with millions, what chance do I have with £50?! As I"m sure most of you have already noticed, the site has been down for a few days. That surprised me as much as the next person (slight breakdown in communication), or I would have issued this statement on it directly.

So anyway, from this point forward, I"m no longer permitted to provide any sort of assistance with anything that helps people infringe the rights of "a certain company".That means, no more emails, no more forum posts, no PM"s, no nothing! END OF STORY.The domain name will be transferred over to the company by the end of the week (9th June, according to the undertakings I have to sign) so don"t email it thinking "Oh, I"ll just ask LIGHTNING UK! for support on this". You"ll not be getting the intended recipient and could be landing yourself in sh1t!

With 3.5.4.0 being the last version, it makes sense for everyone to disable the "check for new versions" feature, as obviously there won"t be any. Of course what I really mean is that you should all stop using the program out of respect for the company’s rights.

Anyone hosting DVD Decrypter is advised to cease doing so immediately. I"ve the feeling they won"t stop with just me. I"m having to contact anyone I know of that is (at the very least, the "mirror" sites), and tell them to stop. Copies of those emails must also be sent to the solicitors so they can check I"m doing everything I"m supposed to. If I don’t, I die.

It is of course down to the owners of those sites to react how they want to. It"s not my job to force you to do anything you don"t want to, I"m just giving you some friendly advice. Maybe it"s just me, but I see this as a bit of an "end of an era". I realise there are other tools, but there"s no telling how much longer they"ll last, and not only that, mine was the oldest! I"ve met loads of great people over the years and I want to take this opportunity to wish them every success for the future - yes DDBT peeps, that includes you lot! : "(I hope you"ve all enjoyed my contribution to the DVD scene and maybe I"ll see ya around sometime.

Original posten on cdfreaks.com

RPerry
06-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Sucks..... :(

Wonder what they will make to take its place :lol:

lynx
06-06-2005, 11:41 AM
That's really bad news.

But did I hear someone say "stable door"?

RealitY
06-06-2005, 04:36 PM
I swear some of this is ridiculous as I dont understand where having a truthfull backup becomes an issue now also...

Hanz™
06-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Basically while copyright states that it is legal for us to make a backup of a DVD, it is illegal to circumvent copy-protection.
The latter part due to a recent law that has just came into place a year or two ago...

yonki
06-06-2005, 05:25 PM
He should join The Pirate Bay

{I}{K}{E}
06-06-2005, 05:40 PM

? because...

nsane
06-06-2005, 06:20 PM
so, this is a law change in the EU only, right? i'd have nothing to worry about hosting it in the US? :unsure:

RPerry
06-06-2005, 06:22 PM

? because...

I think what he meant was that they needed Piratebays legal department :lol:

Virtualbody1234
06-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Hello world...

Anyone hosting DVD Decrypter is advised to cease doing so immediately.

Link. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1069328#post1069328) :whistling

Filliz
06-06-2005, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if someone would take it on him and kept on developing new versions of DVDDecrypter and spread it through the filesharingnetworks. :01:

RPerry
06-06-2005, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=Virtualbody1234]

Link. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1069328#post1069328) :whistling

/me High 5's VB1234

I cannot post torrents, but search bitsoup and I'm uploading as we speak :)

Virtualbody1234
06-06-2005, 08:55 PM
/me High 5's VB1234

http://the-jazzman.com/favorites/computer_highfive.gif

http://www.bestofboards.com/mb/em/high5.gif

orcutt989
06-06-2005, 10:50 PM
DVD Shrink?

Yoga
06-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Should of made i open source so someone else could keep the project alive, but is too late for that now. Dvd Shrink is still here, but for how much longer?

fkdup74
06-07-2005, 01:34 AM
:angry: :angry: :angry:

fuck it, everyone involved in p2p should pool resources....
think if we all put in 5 bucks....
the bad ass lawyer we could keep on retainer :w00t:

:P

oh well, another sad day for good ppl :(

Citizenhaax
06-07-2005, 03:14 AM
Damn shame

Akumara
06-07-2005, 08:31 AM
:angry: :angry: :angry:

fuck it, everyone involved in p2p should pool resources....
think if we all put in 5 bucks....
the bad ass lawyer we could keep on retainer :w00t:

:P

oh well, another sad day for good ppl :(

Man, i would put 100bucks into a pool of some sort towards P2P, but I can't because im under 18.

yonki
06-07-2005, 09:43 AM

? because...
They got the best lawyers, just check their legal threats (http://thepiratebay.org/legal.php) :D

{I}{K}{E}
06-07-2005, 09:51 AM
? because...
They got the best lawyers, just check their legal threats (http://thepiratebay.org/legal.php) :D

But they live in SWE, DVD Decrypter is english

{I}{K}{E}
06-07-2005, 09:52 AM
DVD Shrink?

DVD Shrink is a completely different tool.

4play
06-07-2005, 10:48 AM
apprently this is the work of sony because this fella broke there new copyright protection with 72 hours. dvd decrypter should be pretty legal considering when de-css was released by dvd jon it completely killed the industries arguement of it being a trade secret.

yonki
06-07-2005, 01:41 PM

You are right, but arent we all in the EU? Same laws should apply to that matter.

Skiz
06-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Any ideas on where to go for DVDDecrypter support? :ermm:

{I}{K}{E}
06-17-2005, 09:31 AM
You are right, but arent we all in the EU? Same laws should apply to that matter.

not true. every country has its own rules/laws

{I}{K}{E}
06-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Any ideas on where to go for DVDDecrypter support? :ermm:

you can try posting it in the software section. there are a lot of members here that uses DVD Decrypter

tkpro
06-17-2005, 09:17 PM
DVD Decrypter was the BEST

Will be missed :(

ashen3
06-17-2005, 10:07 PM
This is such a Loss to DVD Backups ... :(

Bodom
06-18-2005, 03:49 AM
it's pretty admirable that you attracted that much attention though.

they'll probbaly come back and offer you a job when they realize what you did.

{I}{K}{E}
06-18-2005, 10:43 AM

missed? you can still download it everywhere, only thing is there wont be anymore updates.

abu_has_the_power
06-18-2005, 05:22 PM

missed? you can still download it everywhere, only thing is there wont be anymore updates.

:( :cry:

well, he left us with a beautiful working copy. 3.5.4 works great.

erRor67
06-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Until of course, new protections come out that DVDDecryptor doesnt reconize..

NikkiD
06-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Until of course, new protections come out that DVDDecryptor doesnt reconize..

And someone else will be there to figure out how to break them. ;)

Honestly, I think this is a load of crap. I know the laws differ from country to country, so they should make tools like this one illegal in countries where people aren't legally allowed to backup their own media. To remove it 100% is assinine.

What makes me laugh about all of this, is that in countries like Canada, where it is legal to make backups of purchased media (including software, games, dvd movies and music cds) putting copy protection on to prevent this from happening is actually what is illegal. Now I can perfectly understand putting copyright protections on rental media, so that people aren't able to rip rented movies. That is illegal, and so they have the right to protect themselves from copyright infringement in such cases. To put copyright protection on consumer products, infringes on our legal right to make backup copies of these products. They argue that making backups enables us to share copies. I argue that making backups protects my investment. When I spend $40 on a DVD and it gets scratched, am I entitled to a replacement? No, I am not.

The other thing I find ironic about this, is that it was Sony that started the whole landslide of copying and recording over 20 years ago when they made the betamax player with a record function. Sony produces CD-RW drives, mp3 players, DVD-RW drives, standalone DVD recorders, digital video recorders, and even blank media to use in all of the aforementioned hardware. Now, what is the purpose of making such equipment? Computer backups? Tape drives hold more data than a dvdr, even a dual layer dvdr. Zip and Jazz drives were used for personal data backups long before dvdrs came on the scene. So what, I ask, was the purpose of making such hardware? To make money on the latest trends, including those which they deem illegal. I mean honestly, if copyright protection was of the utmost importance to a company such as this, would they have ever made the technology available to the public? They knew what applications the hardware they made would have long before they released it to the consumer. Yet, they are hypocritical enough to say that the technology was not intended for this purpose, and that we are breaking the law to use it in such fashion. The technology was 100% intended for this purpose. The company hasn't lost any money due to copyright infringement. One division of the company isn't making as much as they project it could, but I'm sure what they make in hardware sales makes up for a big chunk of what they've "lost".

erRor67
06-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I always found it funny that Sony produces CDR, CDRW, DVDR, DVDRW and soon the new Blu Ray R and RW... all for backups... then they complain about people breaking protections just to get that backup.. :rolleyes:

Filliz
06-19-2005, 03:16 PM
It's baaack... (http://www.dvddecrypter.r8.org/) :shifty:

:01:

{I}{K}{E}
06-19-2005, 03:18 PM

I dont think that site is from LIGHTNING_UK (the creator of DVD Decrypter) :unsure:

Filliz
06-19-2005, 03:23 PM

I dont think that site is from LIGHTNING_UK (the creator of DVD Decrypter) :unsure:
I think it is :unsure:

I just would like to spread the word and let everyone know, you can now find DVD Decrypter at: http://www.dvddecrypter.r8.org After a lot of hard work, I've brought the website back! The bad news is I lost all my programers which means until I find a new team I will only provide version 3.5.4.0 for download. If you have programming skills please e-mail me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!! I'm looking for a wide range of people including reverse engineer, C++, C+ or anyone who knows how to update and maintain software programs!! If you have these skills, Please contact me immediately at: [email protected] and please know you will work out of the kindness of your heart as I can not pay you unless someone wants me to add a "Donate NOW" link to the web page! As you also know, I have lost rights to the domain name of: www.dvddecrypter.com I hope to set up a "Donate Now" link to get donations for a new domain or new host, what ever I can afford! I also had to redo the logo in the top left corner. I even lost the forum as well so it will be a while for me to redo the new one and you will have to reregister. It took a lot of time to get this site back up, and it would be nice if someone could help me find a new development team and more places to host DVD Decrypter for download!

edit: No,it's not!

Just read this on cdfreaks.com:

aradian,pottz and Shoebedobedoo used our news submit to tell us that DVD Decrypter was back. We would like to inform our visitors that the story is, in fact, false. DVD Decrypter is not back and please refrain donating to the scam author. Other forums and news websites have been across this problems lately, like Slyck.com or ZeroPaid. Someone is registering on forums with LIGHTNING_UK! nick, posting this story and collecting money from users.

Please remember this is a scam and access to the website - hosted on Tripod.com - should be avoided.

BAstard! :angry:

{I}{K}{E}
06-19-2005, 03:34 PM
told you. already read something like that on another website