PDA

View Full Version : ups breaker pops and loose parts rattle

accat13
06-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Finally built a new system,all seemed well until I thought about getting a new fan to help with the cooling.Well I decided to go all out a delta 80 cfm.Thought I would be able to handle the noise,50+ decibles.Gave up and got a fan controler.Well got around to cranking up the system and came home to a popped breaker on the ups.Never upgraded forgot (only a 200 volt amp ) think the new system exceeds its output :)...Any how when I picked up the ups to check out its specs I heard a rattle from inside :( . Upon taking it apart I found a transistor sitting in the bottom of the case.I think I found where it goes but it doesn't look damaged.Did it just fall off upon heating up(gravity could of helped here the board is upside down) Was it poor quality control ????The transistor has no solder on it .I have the ups disconnected don't really trust it...Very strange...What size do you think would be sufficient for a new one

lynx
06-07-2005, 09:31 AM
The worst thing you can do with a UPS is to undersize it, you are better off leaving it out altogether.

Since you haven't given us your specs I'll have to guess. This (http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SL80KG) may just about meet your requirements, but there are bigger models should you require one.

clocker
06-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Well I decided to go all out a delta 80 cfm.Thought I would be able to handle the noise,50+ decibles.Gave up and got a fan controler.
It is humorous how frequently this exact scenario plays out.
The cooling sections of hardware forums are littered with posts asking for "the absolute best fan for cooling", cause "I don't care about the noise!".

A few days later the same guy is asking about fan controllers to rein in the Tornado/Delta/Rolls-Royce turbine that "wouldn't bother" them the week before.

Folks totally misjudge how noise affects them.
The thrill of your new, record breaking low temp doesn't last long when there is a leaf blower a foot from your ear.

accat13
06-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Well I decided to go all out a delta 80 cfm.Thought I would be able to handle the noise,50+ decibles.Gave up and got a fan controler.
It is humorous how frequently this exact scenario plays out.
The cooling sections of hardware forums are littered with posts asking for "the absolute best fan for cooling", cause "I don't care about the noise!".

A few days later the same guy is asking about fan controllers to rein in the Tornado/Delta/Rolls-Royce turbine that "wouldn't bother" them the week before.

Folks totally misjudge how noise affects them.
The thrill of your new, record breaking low temp doesn't last long when there is a leaf blower a foot from your ear.The noise really never bothered me,the noise from the wife about the fan on the other hand greatly exceeded the 50db's....:DThis was my first build so I figure I'm aloud a few noob mistakes.@lynx not sure what other specs are required its all in my sig....