PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds

Gripper
06-07-2005, 09:14 PM
not long til this ones out,looking forward to this one and the new Batman begins movie :) :01:

hippychick
06-07-2005, 09:33 PM
OMG I so can't wait to see war of the worlds!!! The org scared me when I was a kid...so I'm hoping this one will be as good.

DarthInsinuate
06-07-2005, 09:46 PM
i got scared just watching the trailer

{I}{K}{E}
06-07-2005, 09:56 PM
i got scared just watching the trailer

:lol:

I think this one is a must see in the theater movie :P

3RA1N1AC
06-08-2005, 02:14 AM
in related news, tom cruise has been flipping the fuck OUT all over television, re: scientology and katie holmes. he really IS frank t.j. mackey. the "i am quietly judging you because you won't let me control your mind" guy. he wasn't playing that guy, he IS that guy. my guess is that this has a lot to do with switching publicists... his old publicist was doing a great job of making him appear sane, and his new one does not have the ability or the motivation to keep him from acting crazy in public.

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/new_line_cinema/magnolia/_group_photos/jason_robards7.jpg
this guy.

cruise flipping out on the set of "war of the worlds":
http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/article/2440935/

cruise flipping out on "the oprah show":
http://www.tvgasm.com/archives/miscellaneous_tv/000824.php

cruise flipping out on "access hollywood":
http://www.tvgasm.com/archives/miscellaneous_tv/000829.php

cruise flipping out on australia's "60 minutes":
http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/stories/2005_06_05/story_1400.asp

"the early show" discusses cruise's flipouts:
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/videoplayer/newVid/small_player/cbsnews_videoplayer.shtml?clip=/media/2005/06/06/video699885.wmv&sec=500202&vidId=500202&title=What's$@$With$@$Tom$@$Cruise&hitboxMLC=earlyshow

lee551
06-08-2005, 02:15 AM
after reading the interview with speilberg in wired mag i am really pumped for this movie. :cool:

maebach
06-08-2005, 03:29 AM
it looks good.

sameer0807
06-09-2005, 03:51 AM
gotta watch n see how good this movie really is.....

SaYiaN
06-09-2005, 04:01 AM
Man, finally a movie ?? gasp..

Heh, just read the book just last year :P

I hope storyline stays in sync.

Monkeee
06-09-2005, 06:33 AM
better be a sick ass movie! $128 million budget.... crazy...

spymaster
06-09-2005, 06:55 AM
eagerly awaiting this movie & batman begins aswell! both look awesome.

go the big budget flicks!

jamie_mack
06-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Cant wait for war of the worlds classic book and original film hope the nrew one does it justice!

hippychick
06-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Cant wait for war of the worlds classic book and original film hope the nrew one does it justice!
War of the Words classic is already out in VHS form... :ermm: There is another war of the world in DVD dont get it confused with the classic...lol I did and it was a low budget freesbie lmao

Busyman
06-09-2005, 11:26 PM
It was also a TV show.

hippychick
06-15-2005, 03:18 PM
War of the Worlds classic 1953 is on Ares for download...I'm dl'ing it now and its the right movie. I hope it will fit on a dvd :blink:

hippychick
06-15-2005, 09:14 PM
I can post more as I find them

Cinicinnati

WAR OF THE WORLDS

http://cinci.4wmt.com/packages/templates/anonymous/giveaway.aspx?pageid=591361da-6bf6-4147-8898-726279631967

The Enquirer and Cincinnati.Com are awarding passes to a
special advance screening of the War of the Worlds.

Winners will be chosen by a random drawing on Monday, June 20, 2005.

The screening will be held on June 27, 2005.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cleveland

WAR OF THE WORLDS

http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=3442365

Our advance screening is set for
Monday, June 27 at
Loews Richmond Town Square at 7:30PM.

In order to win an advance screening pass (admits two but does not guarantee admission) to see WAR OF THE WORLDS, complete the entry form at the bottom of this page or send a S.A.S.E. with your name, address and phone number to:

WAR OF THE WORLDS TICKET GIVEAWAY
P.O. Box #15187
Cleveland, OH 44115

dodgy368
06-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Can't wait to get both these movies, really looking forward to them.

Bit worried about wotw though, can they do justice to the orig? Even if the sfx of the orig look crap today, they must've been Spielbergesque at the time, they're really gonna have to pull out all the stops this time!:P

hippychick
06-17-2005, 10:49 PM
I dl, coverted and burned my 2nd sucessful DVD..woot woot :w00t: I got the 1953 version then I'll go the theatre to see the new version...I can't wait!

99%
06-17-2005, 11:09 PM
in related news, tom cruise has been flipping the fuck OUT all over television, re: scientology and katie holmes. he really IS frank t.j. mackey. the "i am quietly judging you because you won't let me control your mind" guy. he wasn't playing that guy, he IS that guy. my guess is that this has a lot to do with switching publicists... his old publicist was doing a great job of making him appear sane, and his new one does not have the ability or the motivation to keep him from acting crazy in public.

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/new_line_cinema/magnolia/_group_photos/jason_robards7.jpg
this guy.

cruise flipping out on the set of "war of the worlds":
http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/article/2440935/

cruise flipping out on "the oprah show":
http://www.tvgasm.com/archives/miscellaneous_tv/000824.php

cruise flipping out on "access hollywood":
http://www.tvgasm.com/archives/miscellaneous_tv/000829.php

cruise flipping out on australia's "60 minutes":
http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/stories/2005_06_05/story_1400.asp

"the early show" discusses cruise's flipouts:
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/videoplayer/newVid/small_player/cbsnews_videoplayer.shtml?clip=/media/2005/06/06/video699885.wmv&sec=500202&vidId=500202&title=What's$@$With$@$Tom$@$Cruise&hitboxMLC=earlyshow
:lol:
Decadence is sick

EzioB
06-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Since Batman was mentioned a few times in this thread I feel it's relevant to say: GO SEE BATMAN....YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!! I saw it last night and I walked out of the theatre moreso please than when I saw Star Wars. The directing is amazing, the cast was chosen very well, and if you haven't read the comics (like me) there's plenty of substance in the movie to keep you interested.

On a side note, Tom Cruise is a psycho and he just got engaged to Katie Holmes. I predict a big scandal and then he will drive his career into the ground.

Bodom
06-18-2005, 03:41 AM
yeah i hope it rocks too..I would have to hit a theatre for that one.

ans
06-28-2005, 07:37 AM
good

Gripper
06-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Tickets booked for 1400hrs on Friday 1st july for WOTW looking forward to it,don't care what Cruise does in real life,as long as the films good

dudevenezuela
06-28-2005, 11:28 PM
So it will be on some torrents tomorrow ??

or maybe on Thursday 30th or friday?

:unsure:

cpt_azad
06-29-2005, 02:11 AM
going this friday w/ a bunch of friends, can't wait :D

Guyver
06-29-2005, 03:39 AM
So it will be on some torrents tomorrow ??

or maybe on Thursday 30th or friday?

:unsure:

there will definietly be a cam or sumthin soon, maybe a little longer for a good ts or sumthin..im hopeing weekend :D

worldpease
06-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Man, a just a couple of hours ago there was nothing on the cinema schedule,
but I just was there (the website: www.cinepolis.com.mx) and its almost every
15 minutes, starting today at 11am. I most certanly be there for the first screening.

hippychick
06-30-2005, 03:01 PM
I saw WOTW lastnight and it rawked...Tom might get some of his fans back with this movie lol He didnt sneak any scienceolgy into the movie at all. Another Spielberg hit!
It followed the 1953 classic pretty close :D with the farm house, the eye scope thingy and the way the aliens died at the end. It had its hookey parts like why did the Boston neighborhood where toms X inlaws live get spared? or why didnt toms X flee with her family like everyone else? or why they looked all clean like the aliens stayed away from thier neighborhood :rolleyes: lol But the funniest part was after the movie was over there was about 15 ppl from the audiance saying the birds killed the aliens lmao from when the birds were all over the tripod near the end.
But all in all it was a good action pack movie.

motov600
06-30-2005, 03:15 PM
i had to click on the show button!
cant wait to watch this on saturday

worldpease
06-30-2005, 05:03 PM
I enyoied it a lot, maybe more then Star Wars,
I guess it had to do with the fact that for this one I wasn't spoiled.

btw, apart from the spanish telecine,
there's still no good torrent.

erRor67
06-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Im gunna go see it in theaters this weekend.. It good really sweet. THe trailers made it all great and everything.. I just hope I wont be disapointed. :rolleyes:

Busyman
06-30-2005, 07:39 PM
A friend of mine has this on disc already but I don't know the quality.

I'm seeing this in the theater tomorrow (since it's going to rain like hell anyway) that way the rest of weekend is cookouts. ;)

Anyone know when the sequels are slated for release?

scribblec
06-30-2005, 09:33 PM
just watched this film in the cinemas and i must say it is a good film :P

heres a spoiler :P

the aliens die because of bacteria :|

this was quite a surprise seeing as ive never read the book or watched any previous films... but it was kinda obvious after youve seen it because of the start of the film

Busyman
06-30-2005, 10:25 PM
just watched this film in the cinemas and i must say it is a good film :P

heres a spoiler :P

the aliens die because of bacteria :|

:blink: :ohmy: GTFOOH :ohmy: :blink:

hippychick
06-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Here's the real spoiler :lol:
The aliens where killed by the birds not bacteria...lmao so says the people in the theater :01:

Gripper
07-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Just got back from seeing it,great special effects,actings quite good as well,definitly one to see in the cinema :thumbsup:
WE WIN :w00t:

iMartin
07-01-2005, 04:42 PM
I saw it at the theaters Wednesday, and it's good, but just not as good as I thought it would have been.

Busyman
07-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Just got back from seeing it,great special effects,actings quite good as well,definitly one to see in the cinema :thumbsup:
WE WIN :w00t:
In the first movie, yes.

NeoTheOne
07-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Great Movie Took My Parents To See It , They Enjoyed Too , Great Movie , Btw is there a part 2 to this movie

{I}{K}{E}
07-01-2005, 07:13 PM
but just not as good as I thought it would have been.

same here.

dunno if the story is the same as the novel.

didnt like the ending. I think it was to 'easy/simple' :dry:

Guyver
07-01-2005, 07:37 PM
man how did pot screw up so much?!!?

makin a nice russian ts into there crap, bad AR, blocky ass cam lol

Busyman
07-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Great Movie Took My Parents To See It , They Enjoyed Too , Great Movie , Btw is there a part 2 to this movie
...and 3

Cheese
07-01-2005, 08:15 PM
...and 3

They're planning on making 2 more sequels? Is that bs like when Indepence Day came out? Still waiting for those sequels...not.

Sources?

Not looking forward to this film now. They really fucked up The Time Machine, another favourite of mine. Be interesting to see how Spielburg handles the themes HG Wells introduced in his novel or if he changes this into a piece of cheese.

Gripper
07-01-2005, 08:18 PM
How so Busyman,if I remember the book it finish's same as the film

Cheese
07-01-2005, 08:20 PM
How so Busyman,if I remember the book it finish's same as the film

Maybe in the sequl they invade in bio-suits? :lol:

Gripper
07-01-2005, 08:27 PM
If anyone is interestedthis link http://www.rense.com/general4/hg.htm takes you to the original radio broadcast of WOTW by Orson Wells that caused panic in the U.S when first broadcast

worldpease
07-02-2005, 12:23 AM
I guess Spilberg really took care dealing with his movie,
it's been almost three days and theres still no decent copy
on the web, just russian, german and spanish cam's. Damn, Im
waiting for a nice copy, its an ejoyable movie.

Guyver
07-02-2005, 12:29 AM
I guess Spilberg really took care dealing with his movie,
it's been almost three days and theres still no decent copy
on the web, just russian, german and spanish cam's. Damn, Im
waiting for a nice copy, its an ejoyable movie.

i have the russian ts with english audio :D

worldpease
07-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Hey guyver, and could you give us some detail,
is it available somewhere?, did you make it?, is it
good quality?, may be some screenshots.

Busyman
07-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Good movie however........

1. Cruise's ex-wife's brownstone was conveniently immaculate.

2. The things were in the ground all this fucking time like fucking cicadas. So no one noticed a huge hulking metal mass...phone company, water and sewer, construction folk?

3. The aliens looked like the one's from ID4.

4. The son should have been dead...if just for his stupidity alone...and the fact that our military got there ass engulfed by a huge fireball...and uh..he was with 'em.

5. Why would Tom NOT talk to his son, daughter, and especially the mechanic about the impending disaster...it's fucking stupid.

6. I knew the son was going to fuck up when it was his turn to drive. If he saw a rack of people, he should have turned his ass around. Tom should have run over the lady and her kid. He also should have picked up his gun.

7. Kudos for Tom killing Shawshank (really :clap: ) but conveniently leaving his daughter alone while alien eyes prowl about.
There ya go.

8. Kudos for also assuming you can go to sleep with no one keeping watch simply because the aliens came in the basement before. They couldn't possibly come again. They already checked and they said, "All clear". :dry:

9. The machines had not one but two asshole sphincters. However they were gay alien machines 'cause they liked it one way and that way was inward. :sick: They practically ate with their ass...es.

10. I'll say it. His daughter was a dipshit. If you get scared, you don't run upstairs to where the aliens are. When you do shit like that, you get yourself and you father placed in an alien rectum. :sick:

11. If there's an alien invasion, you don't stop to conversate with an old fuck partner. You get on the damn boat. Fucking may proceed after which you avoid being vaporized. :1eye:

12. How many fucking times...during an alien invasion does a motherfucker have to point up to the sky (you know...where the aliens are) for a trained soldier to take a look (you know....follow the pointing finger). "Look at the birds...ya dipshit. L-O-O-K U-P.......YESYES..U-P YA DIPSHIT!!!".

13. They shat/bled Fanta Orange....or was it SunKist? Everytime a tripod was shot or had diarrhea, I got thirsty.

14. Btw, it was mighhhhhhty convenient that when Tom was driving his minivan...past everyone else that was stranded on the road..he had a nice, however winding, clear path to ease on down the road.

This also occured after the Donnie Darko/FirstEpisodeLost moment. He just drove away...debris nicely parted for him like a bad haircut.

After all of that, I still liked the movie. WTF?!!!

Guyver
07-02-2005, 06:41 AM
Hey guyver, and could you give us some detail,
is it available somewhere?, did you make it?, is it
good quality?, may be some screenshots.

http://img117.echo.cx/img117/1450/34pm.jpg
http://img117.echo.cx/img117/7060/53yt.jpg
http://img208.echo.cx/img208/2975/17aa.jpg
http://img117.echo.cx/img117/8245/45qt.jpg
http://img117.echo.cx/img117/7797/19dq.jpg

torrentit.com

Peerzy
07-04-2005, 12:30 AM
I've never read the book befor but can anyone enlighten me on the ending. I just grabbbed any old copy (it was watchable) and it cuts off right after Morgan Freeman says;

They were doomed from the start-

Also

What did stop them? Bird's? I thought it was some kinda bacteria :huh: at least thats what i had heard. Also when there in that basement with that old guy did anyone else feel that the scene dragged on way to long, the aliens searched for like 10 minutes then went, and then another alien came for another 10 minutes.

After reading a review in a national newspaper claiming it to be the best action movie ever i felt as if i had been robbed. The fact that the sotry only follows Cruise means you don't get a whole sense of the battle (Which by the seems of the night and day timings lasted 1 night, hardly a hard battle was it :rolleyes:

iMartin
07-04-2005, 01:41 AM
dunno if the story is the same as the novel
No...in the book, it took place in the late 1800's, there was more than just tri-pods, there were also flying machines. And I don't think they sprayed human blood in the novel either.

MCHeshPants420
07-04-2005, 08:34 AM
I've never read the book befor but can anyone enlighten me on the ending. I just grabbbed any old copy (it was watchable) and it cuts off right after Morgan Freeman says;

They were doomed from the start-

Also

What did stop them? Bird's? I thought it was some kinda bacteria :huh: at least thats what i had heard. Also when there in that basement with that old guy did anyone else feel that the scene dragged on way to long, the aliens searched for like 10 minutes then went, and then another alien came for another 10 minutes.

After reading a review in a national newspaper claiming it to be the best action movie ever i felt as if i had been robbed. The fact that the sotry only follows Cruise means you don't get a whole sense of the battle (Which by the seems of the night and day timings lasted 1 night, hardly a hard battle was it :rolleyes:

They were stopped by bacteria which they didn't have any immunity to. I had the same copy as you but that's what Morgan Freeman was about to explain. The birds were just able to land because when aliens feel a bit ill they like to shut down their shields... :blink:

This is from the musical version but I think it is similar to what MF was going to say:

Directly the Invaders arrived and drank and fed, our microscopic allies attacked them. From that moment - they were doomed!

I agree with you about that basement scene. The movie was okay-ish up until then but it did lose a lot due to focusing on Tom Cruise & family. I wanted to see shit get fucked up, and I'm sure HG Wells would have wanted to see a large industrial country getting pwned.

motov600
07-04-2005, 01:31 PM
watched it
cool film the effects were wicked tom did some good acting
worthing watching

cpt_azad
07-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Best movie of 2005, in fact it's the best movie that I've seen in a very long time, and it's well overdue. Definitely worth my money, I recommend everyone to see it. At first I was skeptic and thought it was a crappy movie with over the top special fx, but there's actually a good story here (if you haven't read the book, don't watch it, read it then watch, trust me on this one).

And for those that keep complaining about how the story only follows Cruise around and doesnt focus on the bigger picture, I dare you to try and make one that does, this movie was never meant to be an epic like LOTR (god i hate that movie[s]).

I was laughing my ass off when that Robbie kid was like: "was it terrorists?" and then Cruise said no and then the dumbass says: "was it from europe?" :lol:

Peerzy
07-05-2005, 06:56 AM
I dare you to try and make one that does, this movie was never meant to be an epic like LOTR (god i hate that movie[s]).

Okay i'll compare it to the first LOTR.

First off the whole storyline on LOTR is set arround those 10 characters (The fellowship + Gandalf), and its 10 characters. They are the main focus for the story and for what is happening arround the world. Also it cuts alot to the evil guys to show what they are doing and whats up with them.

WOTW stays on 3 characters the whole movie, none of them drive the story, you get to see very little of who they are fighting and get no real sense of what the enemy is. The movie goes suddenly from the whole of the human race being captured or destoryed (right after the basement/underground house scene) to them walking into a town populated by thousands and the war all but over.

So the 'war to end all wars' lasted less than 24 hours.

There was no indication till right at the end that what happened happened and how the certain side won. Infact i didn't even know the Aliens had shields under Cheese just said.

How on earth did it go from the end of the human race to, millions have survived, everythings cool. Also the film then continues to contradict science. There weakness was Bacteria, so apparently there was no bacteria in the group where they had been living for millions of years. Or when they first start popping up in that town where Cruise is, your telling me that all the destruction and the dust and rubble contained no bacteria.

I like Cheese wanted to see the film focus less on the family and more on mankinds struggle. Basically the whole moral of the film is that no matter what, if you love your family and you're american god will bless you and everything will be fine.

6/10 - Nothing more than a pro-american special effects fest.

cpt_azad
07-05-2005, 07:04 AM
well for one thing, you are right about it being hella pro-american peerz. As for the whole "first person perspective" (ok before flame i know it's not FPS, it's like third person but focused only on 3-4 characters).

There was no indication till right at the end that what happened happened and how the certain side won. Infact i didn't even know the Aliens had shields under Cheese just said.

You must be blind, I saw the shields atleast 3-5 times in the movie, mostly during the whole hand-grenade incident.

As for the whole war being over in 24hours, I agree too, too short. I was hoping it would be longer, the movie was way too rushed, they should have released it in 2007.

But still, this movie is the best sci-fi this year, or possible ever IF it wasn't so short and they could show just a bit more of other ppl's perspective, even the aliens. The audio in this movie is the most brutal (in a good way) and hair raising sound I have ever heard in my life, every time those horns went off I had goosebumps.

Peerzy
07-05-2005, 07:15 AM
well for one thing, you are right about it being hella pro-american peerz. As for the whole "first person perspective" (ok before flame i know it's not FPS, it's like third person but focused only on 3-4 characters).

You must be blind, I saw the shields atleast 3-5 times in the movie, mostly during the whole hand-grenade incident.

As for the whole war being over in 24hours, I agree too, too short. I was hoping it would be longer, the movie was way too rushed, they should have released it in 2007.

But still, this movie is the best sci-fi this year, or possible ever IF it wasn't so short and they could show just a bit more of other ppl's perspective, even the aliens. The audio in this movie is the most brutal (in a good way) and hair raising sound I have ever heard in my life, every time those horns went off I had goosebumps.

Saving Private Ryan had better sound effects overall then this movie.

Best Sci-Fi ever? Alien? Best Action movie ever? Die Hard?

Releasing a movi in 2007 also does not make the time scale i the movie increase by 2 years just to let you know :rolleyes:

About the shields, i saw them however never really registered them. For example Inderpendance Day we saw the Aliens had shields yes, then they talked about them having shields, then they made a plan to wide out the shields, then thy did the plane, in this you saw a shield or two then at the end of the movie when the bidget had run out they get Tom to point at some birds on an alien, even then he didn't mention the shields.

Before the end town fight you don't see the army fighting the aliens on a large scale. Maybe they should have showed the army trying to fight them, then finding out about the shields then all dieing.

Also thinking about it there wasn't one character (even a minor character) who was an ethnic minoraty.

Seeing as the book was based in my home town (Woking/Horsell) quite a rural area why they decided to shift everything to America and totally forget the rest of the world exists.

The only other country that featured/was mentioned was Ukraine, and im pritty sure most American's think thats a state anyway :rolleyes:

How Cruise manages to survive everything also. When the plane crashes on his house, not only his him and his family perfectly fine, but his nice car survives without a scratch.

cpt_azad
07-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Also thinking about it there wasn't one character (even a minor character) who was an ethnic minoraty.

damn good point.

The only other country that featured/was mentioned was Ukraine, and im pritty sure most American's think thats a state anyway :rolleyes:

Another good point, like I said (and you said too) this movie is pro-american to the max. But it's still a damn good movie, I didn't say it was the best sci-fi ever (re-read post and look for the capatalized IF). And if they released it in 2007, then they would have a lot more time to increase showtime and add more things into it like going into detail how the aliens were defeated and overall make the movie longer and more coherent.

One thing that really pissed me off was how the hell did that Robbie kid survive, that really made the movie look like a cliched POS.

Peerzy
07-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Yup, quick run off into the ball of flames and hundreds of tripod aliens, as long as you love America it's fine :dry:

3RA1N1AC
07-05-2005, 08:47 AM

sounds like a roland emmerich movie.

i'll prolly see it eventually, despite being lukewarm to cruise and spielberg (they've both done some good movies, but... EH). 'cause i'm a genre junkie and will give most anything a chance if it has decent rayguns or a werewolf. howzzit compare to, say, Independence Day re: amount of cliche, syrupy patriotism, entertainment value, etc... can i expect it to be better or worse than that one? is it just resting on its literary credentials, or what. ?:|

MCHeshPants420
07-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Why did Spielburg have to change the story with the aliens already having their machines on Earth. Like I think Busyman pointed out they'd have been noticed by someone. Also if they have the technology to beam themselves across space in lightning, set up tripods from space you have to think they'd have picked up on bacteria.

All I can think is that their governement was a bit tight-ass like ours and wouldn't provide full military gear for its soldiers.

Whilst we're on those lines why the hell was Europe hit the hardest? Do you hate us that much? From a military point of view (and these aliens have been watching us for all this time with envious eyes so you'd think they'd have a decent plan) they should be attacking the country with the biggest army and most nukes the hardest...

Making the aliens have those stupid impenetrable shields from the crappy 50's movie sucked as well. Make them like the novels war machines and have them hard to bring down but possible. Then we could have had the "Thunderchild" scene. That would have rocked. Instead we just get a ferry being turned over.

The main problem of this movie, was of course, the fact that we are just seeing the story from TC's eyes. The novel does this as well but rather than that character being central to the plot he is more there to be an observer to destruction of the world. Perhaps that doesn't work too well as a film, we need character development, but Spielburg swung too hard in that direction methinks.

I gave it 6/10 at IMDB. It's not much cop. Though, there have been two other WOTW films released this year which I've seen and they were truely awful. So if you only watch one War of the Worlds movie this year make it Spielburgs.;)

cpt_azad
07-05-2005, 11:05 AM

sounds like a roland emmerich movie.

i'll prolly see it eventually, despite being lukewarm to cruise and spielberg (they've both done some good movies, but... EH). 'cause i'm a genre junkie and will give most anything a chance if it has decent rayguns or a werewolf. howzzit compare to, say, Independence Day re: amount of cliche, syrupy patriotism, entertainment value, etc... can i expect it to be better or worse than that one? is it just resting on its literary credentials, or what. ?:|

This one's not as patriotic as Independence Day (duh) or most Emmerich films, but it does kinda take a page from the "America is better than you so STFU and GTFO cuz we're the only ones that can destroy these alien dudes" despite the fact that we're insignificant to these aliens as they will kill any human and that the Japanese have already taken down a few. (meh so i said japanese, oh noes i've violated a spoiler law or some BS like that).

It's a good movie all round, especially the starting and the middle parts, the ending just plain sucked (way too rushed). The audio (keyword here is audio) and special fx are top-notch. But it all kinda boils down to how you like your movies, I'd check this one out if I were you then you can let us know what you think, every one has an opinion.

MCHeshPants420
07-05-2005, 11:16 AM
and that the Japanese have already taken down a few. (meh so i said japanese, oh noes i've violated a spoiler law or some BS like that).

Obviously the Japanese had help from Godzilla and those giant robots they seem to love so much. :lol:

It's a good movie all round, especially the starting and the middle parts, the ending just plain sucked (way too rushed).

You are kind of contradicting yourself in that sentence. ;)

the mighty
07-05-2005, 11:48 AM
I just got back from seeing this film, and I thought it was amazing! Not having read the book or seen the old film, I wasn't disapointed with any of it. Sure, it ran out of steam near the end, but the rest had been so enjoyable I didn't really care!

Busyman
07-05-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't know the where some of you get this American patriotic stuff from besides the fact our military is fighting them. ID4 had this big time but with this movie, it's was pretty much nonexistent.

....and wtf is wrong with some of you? Ya got an inferiority complex or sumthin'?

If the movie takes place in America it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't matter. IT MEANS THE MOVIE TAKES PLACE IN AMERICA. I didn't feel slighted 'cause the aliens didn't blow up the White House.

Get a fucking life.

It's an American made movie ffs. A European company could have bought the rights and made set the movie in the small village of WelshChesHorshire for all I care and I doubt Americans would have given a shit.

Btw, shields were mentioned in a news broadcast of something early in the movie.

And after all this....1. Cruise's ex-wife's brownstone was conveniently immaculate.

2. The things were in the ground all this fucking time like fucking cicadas. So no one noticed a huge hulking metal mass...phone company, water and sewer, construction folk?

4. The son should have been dead...if just for his stupidity alone...and the fact that our military got there ass engulfed by a huge fireball...and uh..he was with 'em.

5. Why would Tom NOT talk to his son, daughter, and especially the mechanic about the impending disaster...it's fucking stupid.

6. I knew the son was going to fuck up when it was his turn to drive. If he saw a rack of people, he should have turned his ass around. Tom should have run over the lady and her kid. He also should have picked up his gun.

7. Kudos for Tom killing Shawshank (really :clap: ) but conveniently leaving his daughter alone while alien eyes prowl about.
There ya go.

8. Kudos for also assuming you can go to sleep with no one keeping watch simply because the aliens came in the basement before. They couldn't possibly come again. They already checked and they said, "All clear". :dry:

9. The machines had not one but two asshole sphincters. However they were gay alien machines 'cause they liked it one way and that way was inward. :sick: They practically ate with their ass...es.

10. I'll say it. His daughter was a dipshit. If you get scared, you don't run upstairs to where the aliens are. When you do shit like that, you get yourself and you father placed in an alien rectum. :sick:

11. If there's an alien invasion, you don't stop to conversate with an old fuck partner. You get on the damn boat. Fucking may proceed after which you avoid being vaporized. :1eye:

12. How many fucking times...during an alien invasion does a motherfucker have to point up to the sky (you know...where the aliens are) for a trained soldier to take a look (you know....follow the pointing finger). "Look at the birds...ya dipshit. L-O-O-K U-P.......YESYES..U-P YA DIPSHIT!!!".

13. They shat/bled Fanta Orange....or was it SunKist? Everytime a tripod was shot or had diarrhea, I got thirsty.

14. Btw, it was mighhhhhhty convenient that when Tom was driving his minivan...past everyone else that was stranded on the road..he had a nice, however winding, clear path to ease on down the road.

This also occured after the Donnie Darko/FirstEpisodeLost moment. He just drove away...debris nicely parted for him like a bad haircut.

....the movie was still good besides the fact...it actually should have been more focused on blowing shit up but I think they wanted to utilize Tom Cruise more in the acting department.

I love the scene where all the clothes are falling out of the sky btw.

Fake Shemp
07-05-2005, 02:37 PM
It's an American made movie ffs. A European company could have bought the rights and made set the movie in the small village of WelshChesHorshire for all I care and I doubt Americans would have given a shit.

Actually no-one has to buy the rights as the novel is in the public domain. This is evidenced by the fact that we have two other films released this year of War of the Worlds. One being set in London at the time the novel was based, it is dire beyond belief though. There is even an animated version of Jeff Wayne's coming out next year.

I have no problem with Spielburg's film being set in America at all, and I'm sure HG Wells would have approved of it being set in the world's most industrialized country. I reckon if Wells was with us now he'd have wanted the film "more focused on blowing shit up", if only for his dislike of industrialization.

The throwaway comment about Europe being hit the hardest is kind of funny. If I was an alien invader I'd have left the Europeans until last, after all they'd (the Europeans) would have been trying to find a peaceful solution to the invasion... ;)

"If we just maintain sanctions on the aliens we can resolve this conflict peacefully..." - French/German diplomat.

Busyman
07-05-2005, 02:43 PM

Actually no-one has to buy the rights as the novel is in the public domain. This is evidenced by the fact that we have two other films released this year of War of the Worlds. One being set in London at the time the novel was based, it is dire beyond belief though. There is even an animated version of Jeff Wayne's coming out next year.

I have no problem with Spielburg's film being set in America at all, and I'm sure HG Wells would have approved of it being set in the world's most industrialized country. I reckon if Wells was with us now he'd have wanted the film "more focused on blowing shit up", if only for his dislike of industrialization.

The throwaway comment about Europe being hit the hardest is kind of funny. If I was an alien invader I'd have left the Europeans until last, after all they'd (the Europeans) would have been trying to find a peaceful solution to the invasion... ;)
:lol: :lol: .....as they get vaporized leaving only their shirt with no mark of underarm deodorant to speak of.

Well shit if there are 2 movies set in Europe, maybe they can say America gets hit hardest and we can get all bent of out shape about it. :dry:

Peerzy
07-05-2005, 08:35 PM
I don't know the where some of you get this American patriotic stuff from besides the fact our military is fighting them. ID4 had this big time but with this movie, it's was pretty much nonexistent.

....and wtf is wrong with some of you? Ya got an inferiority complex or sumthin'?

If the movie takes place in America it doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't matter. IT MEANS THE MOVIE TAKES PLACE IN AMERICA. I didn't feel slighted 'cause the aliens didn't blow up the White House.

Get a fucking life.

Btw, shields were mentioned in a news broadcast of something early in the movie.

And after all this....1. Cruise's ex-wife's brownstone was conveniently immaculate.

There ya go.

....the movie was still good besides the fact...it actually should have been more focused on blowing shit up but I think they wanted to utilize Tom Cruise more in the acting department.

Thing is, no other country exists in the movie. It would be like the movie Pearl Harbor but insted of bombing Japan, they bomb a different part of America cause they got lost, and then America fights back against....America :blink:

Also they changed the location dramatically. It would be like taking Lord Of The Flies and setting it in New York.

The kid also wants to be a patriotic hero and goes off into the big ball of fire to fight and die, only you find out at the end thats not the case and he magically knew where his mum was and such.

What happend in Europe? What happened in Aisa? What happened in Africa? What happened in South America? What happened in Oceania? All you get to see is the story of one invinceable man sit in some cave for 20 minutes then come out and America has won the war pritty much.

It's stupid that just because its an American film, means the whole story has to have American values, all the actors have to be American, the settings have to be American, there can be no anti-American views in the film and so on.

Fake Shemp
07-05-2005, 10:24 PM

Get a fucking life.

There ya go.

Thing is, no other country exists in the movie. It would be like the movie Pearl Harbor but insted of bombing Japan, they bomb a different part of America cause they got lost, and then America fights back against....America :blink:

Also they changed the location dramatically. It would be like taking Lord Of The Flies and setting it in New York.

The kid also wants to be a patriotic hero and goes off into the big ball of fire to fight and die, only you find out at the end thats not the case and he magically knew where his mum was and such.

What happend in Europe? What happened in Aisa? What happened in Africa? What happened in South America? What happened in Oceania? All you get to see is the story of one invinceable man sit in some cave for 20 minutes then come out and America has won the war pritty much.

It's stupid that just because its an American film, means the whole story has to have American values, all the actors have to be American, the settings have to be American, there can be no anti-American views in the film and so on.

Sorry Peerzy but to me it makes sense that the film is set in America. HG Wells wanted to show his reader the arrogance of the superpowers in both his aliens and how easily a super-industrial-power (like America, or England in his novel) could be bought to its knees. I guess Spielburg copped out a bit by throwing in the European comment but I just dismissed that as a character in the film giving inaccurate information (not that it is that important).

To be honest there wasn't much flag waving patriosm in this film and in the context of seeing the whole film through TC's eyes and his family's it would have made no sense to cut to what was happening in England/Japan/Australia.

I don't think you can claim that the film ends with America being declared the victor because it is obvious that bacteria is what killed the aliens. All in all it wasn't as nauseting as Idenpendence Day, there were a couple of bits that Europeans will roll their eyes up at but nothing anyone should get too wound up about.

The film itself does end badly though. The last 20 minutes drag and TC becomes an action hero to take out a tripod. But the worst bit by far was the boy surviving. Sentimental crap, everyone else in the film gets killed but this whole family survives? Yeah, right...

Fake Shemp
07-05-2005, 10:35 PM
By the way if the film had been set in the Middle East then the aliens would have been in trouble. Suicide bombers vrs Tripods? The suicide bomber just waits until he's been caught by a tripod and getting taken inside and detonates...:pinch of salt:

Busyman
07-05-2005, 10:53 PM
By the way if the film had been set in the Middle East then the aliens would have been in trouble. Suicide bombers vrs Tripods? The suicide bomber just waits until he's been caught by a tripod and getting taken inside and detonates...:pinch of salt:
Verrrry good point. However, in a war such as this, there would be many suicide bombers in many countries (once the :shit: (pun intended) was figured out).

Think of the small sacrifice. There weren't that many tripods per capita.

Busyman
07-05-2005, 11:10 PM

Get a fucking life.

There ya go.

Are you some new type of idiot? :huh: Read this spoiler below......

The movie takes place AN AMERICAN POINT OF VIEW. D.D.D.DAMN!! Your example means shit. Have you seen Enemy At The Gates?

No it's not. It's like taking Lord Of The Flies and setting it in AnyislandinEastJaBlipWestOfBubbleFuck.

Wow. I've seen that in almost every war movie made, non-American ones too and even. :ohmy: It's simply called wanting to fight.

Damn I kinda missed that epic tale in the original, ya know, what happened in Oceania. :ermm: Maybe we will see more in the sequels.

Well the film was made for entertainment and not for Peerzy's anti-American views to pop in. The plot of film seem to be okay without it.
The setting was American but what "American values"? If the setting is America wouldn't there be American's in it...or does Peerzy feel left out.

Get a life and stop watching AMERICAN movies then.

cpt_azad
07-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Obviously the Japanese had help from Godzilla and those giant robots they seem to love so much. :lol:

It's a good movie all round, especially the starting and the middle parts, the ending just plain sucked (way too rushed).

You are kind of contradicting yourself in that sentence. ;)

Not really, just badly put. I'm trying to say it's a good movie, it would have been BETTER if the ending wasn't so rushed, the ending was abrupt. The movie tried so hard to not let TC be a hero and make the movie cliched and I loved that they tried for 3/4 of the film, but then they said "ah fuck it. lets just make our lives easier and make him a hero" that really ticked me off. If they could have done what they were doing the whole film till the end, then this movie woulda been excellent but then Spielberg decides to give TC a bunch of grenades and says "ok now act like your Tony Montana..." :dry: But still, very good movie if you can put up with the ending.

Fake Shemp
07-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Verrrry good point. However, in a war such as this, there would be many suicide bombers in many countries (once the :shit: (pun intended) was figured out).

Obviously this only works if all tripods are assigned to gather people up. Perhaps there were harvester units and all out war units roaming America (and the rest of the world of course ;) ).

So these aliens weaknesses were bacteria and having grenades shoved up their butts? :lol:

cpt_azad
07-05-2005, 11:28 PM
LMFAO, this reminds me of something my friend said when the movie ended, it was hilarious. The ending (to him [and me to some extent]) was so rushed and abrupt he didn't really understand it.

Morgan Freeman tells of how the aliens were defeated, end credits start to roll
Friend: "So wait, Internal Affairs knew that he was with the FBI?"

Laughed a little to hard after hearing that, almost choked on popcorn....

Busyman
07-05-2005, 11:53 PM

Obviously this only works if all tripods are assigned to gather people up. Perhaps there were harvester units and all out war units roaming America (and the rest of the world of course ;) ).

So these aliens weaknesses were bacteria and having grenades shoved up their butts? :lol:
They used the humans for power. It was the Matrix all over again.

hondarvf400
07-08-2005, 02:33 PM
what does it say on my copy it goes "the moment they landed and brathed out air" then goes silent

any help on this would be great

Peerzy
07-08-2005, 02:36 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=96817&page=1

hondarvf400
07-08-2005, 02:42 PM
but is that it

Peerzy
07-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Right your too retarded to read the thread yourself so here we go.

This is what i asked;

This is the reply i got;
They were stopped by bacteria which they didn't have any immunity to. I had the same copy as you but that's what Morgan Freeman was about to explain. The birds were just able to land because when aliens feel a bit ill they like to shut down their shields... :blink:

This is from the musical version but I think it is similar to what MF was going to say:

Directly the Invaders arrived and drank and fed, our microscopic allies attacked them. From that moment - they were doomed!

:dry:

4play
07-08-2005, 02:58 PM
we have evolved on earth so are immune to common bacteria and diseases. something trivial like the common cold could be leathal to aliens and thats what killed them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_worlds

hondarvf400
07-08-2005, 03:07 PM

This is what i asked;

This is the reply i got;

thanks dude your the best i love you

Formula1
07-08-2005, 10:54 PM
incase anyone isi nterested.

War.Of.The.Worlds.TC.XViD-XViD is a very good release of it. i got it from filelist.org, and the quality is exellent, for a TC, so is the audio :). Great movie.

worldpease
07-09-2005, 05:21 AM
Yes Formula, I agree with you...
Im geting that vertion right now.

cow_dung
07-09-2005, 10:45 AM
heres a screenshot of the video quality of the file
War.Of.The.Worlds.TC.XViD-XViD :) enjoy

http://www.freespaces.com/killva/Screenshots/screenhunter_011.jpg
http://www.freespaces.com/killva/Screenshots/screenhunter_012.jpg

Afronaut
07-09-2005, 11:01 AM
I dunno, it wasnt really my kinda movie.
Perhaps I was waiting for something more.
Maybe Teh Hype got me good this time, oh well...

:(

Vamp
07-09-2005, 12:16 PM
This what not a film about an alien invasion...It was a film about a dysfunctional family mending itself againist an unconventional backdrop.

Peerzy
07-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Then why do aliens invade and nearly wipe out the entire human race if it's not about aliens invading :unsure:

trajillo
07-09-2005, 01:10 PM
WHY WAS THE CAMERA STILL WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!????

A: Product Placement.. and it wasn't the only one...i saw 2 in less than 2 seconds... his phone and watch..which wasn't digital?

Vamp
07-09-2005, 01:20 PM
The camera was working because it wasn't on during the EMP. EMPs only disrupt electric currents in use during their presence.

Vamp
07-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Then why do aliens invade and nearly wipe out the entire human race if it's not about aliens invading :unsure:

As a catalyst for a dead-beat father to take a serious look at his life and responsibilites.

trajillo
07-09-2005, 02:07 PM
The camera was working because it wasn't on during the EMP. EMPs only disrupt electric currents in use during their presence.
cameras are always on...thats why you have those little flat batterties in them..that saves the clock settings, likewise for a car..thats why all the cars in the movie didn't start except the one they fixed...

Afronaut
07-09-2005, 02:45 PM
There's something about the plot that bothered me a little:

How come aliens that could travel in space, ie. perty smart beings, just didnt figure out teh ending? Perhaps some simple "shit happens" stuff goes on in alienworlds too but, really?

The version I saw didnt have a very clear ending, stuff was missing,
teh cam from russia.

Maybe somebody can fill the obvious for me.

:D

Busyman
07-09-2005, 03:52 PM
There's something about the plot that bothered me a little:

How come aliens that could travel in space, ie. perty smart beings, just didnt figure out teh ending? Perhaps some simple "shit happens" stuff goes on in alienworlds too but, really?

The version I saw didnt have a very clear ending, stuff was missing,
teh cam from russia.

Maybe somebody can fill the obvious for me.

:D
In the end, they bled and "shat" Fanta Orange Soda and cured all survivors of thirst.

MuddyMuddy
07-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I found it interesting at the startish but towards the end it was dissapointing Spielberg let me down :(

The only good part i liked was when TOM cruise his daughter and that dude were in that basement or something and that long alien camera looking for em lol that was good

hondarvf400
07-09-2005, 10:20 PM

This is what i asked;

This is the reply i got;

hello i just went to see this and there was a lot more said so your f**king gay commment about reading the thread was wrong because it does not say all of it

Fake Shemp
07-09-2005, 11:00 PM

This is what i asked;

This is the reply i got;

hello i just went to see this and there was a lot more said so your f**king gay commment about reading the thread was wrong because it does not say all of it

Thanks for that useful input to the thread. :)

dodgy368
07-10-2005, 11:49 PM
Just grabbed a dvdr from pisexy released by Cozmo, it's in the "trash" section cos it ain't a "scene" release but there's nothing wrong with it!

Cozmo has put a brilliant menu on the TC, I highly recommend this download.:D

Dredpirate
07-12-2005, 05:06 PM
WOTW sucked. I hate Tom Cruise and the horse he rode in on.

Lincoln-Imp
07-12-2005, 07:39 PM
How come this isnt on ares yet?

ziggyjuarez
07-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Some Pictures for you humanshttp://img300.imageshack.us/img300/2033/vlc20050712131600587hn.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/515/vlc20050712131610271vn.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9347/vlc20050712131619245wf.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8955/vlc20050712131625297rr.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9773/vlc20050712131638106xw.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/795/vlc20050712131700633uw.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9287/vlc20050712131719370qm.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7064/vlc20050712131723441cc.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9104/vlc20050712131805930pe.jpg

Peerzy
07-12-2005, 08:42 PM

Because it's shit :lol:

I wonder if there will be a sequel to this released? I hope not as it could just turn into a shyte franchise just out to get money and have lost all touch and relation to the book.

Lincoln-Imp
07-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Ares is awesome, can get some good speeds on it. Usually films appear on it fairly quickly but havnt managed to get WOTW yet :(

Barbarossa
07-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Well I watched WOTW last night and I'd like to add my thoughts..

I thought it was awesome. It was refreshing to see a sci-fi/horror/action film from the perspective of a normal guy, not a gung-ho have-a-go hero, in fact, Tom is only forced to become a hero in order to save his daughter..

I also liked the way that rather than overburden you with CGI, the camera quite often cut to the reactions of the characters to the unfolding horror, rather than the horror itself. When it did then show what was happening, it was all the more powerful. The effects, rather than dominate the film, merely supported the suspense and horror.

There was a very dark theme to the whole film, specifically the "harvesting" of people to use as fertiliser, for what we can only assume was some kind of Martian "terraforming" ("martiaforming"?), the sort of thing that is too often missing in "gung-ho" sci-fi.

The imagery was startling and disturbing, and makes obvious reference to the Holocaust and 9/11 in a number of places.

There could be no other sensible ending (other than utter destruction). There wasn't in the original story, and I'm glad to see that this one stayed fairly close to that. (No crazy computer virus bullshit). I'm surprised the bird-thing seems to have confused alot of people, although as to why the alien shields were down is anyone's guess...

The only thing that rankled with me was that the son survived. That shouldn't have happened. Oh, and I didn't understand the need for the plane crash, or indeed how the car parked outside the house was unscathed. :unsure:

Anyway, It was a bloody good thought-provoking film! :ph34r:

Busyman
07-18-2005, 01:38 PM

Because it's shit :lol:

I wonder if there will be a sequel to this released? I hope not as it could just turn into a shyte franchise just out to get money and have lost all touch and relation to the book.
It's supposed to be a trilogy.

Aaron_T
07-18-2005, 09:57 PM
i just recently seen war of the worlds myself, i think the movie has a brilliant idea, but its not really as exciting as i imagined it to be.

i thought a lot of the movie was just stupid like that crazy old man in the cellar lol

me and my mates were laughing n the pics when we seen it, because of the bit where hes driving the car through all the traffic and there just happens to be a clear path for him lmao

and when the house is totally wrecked but the car is outside perfectly intact, on top of the rubble rofl. :lol:

i thought some of the special effects were good thought and ive give the movie a 7/10 lol, my opinion anyways :)

3RA1N1AC
07-19-2005, 04:39 AM
wow. this movie was formulaic. Spielberg has already done this with "Duel" and "Jaws." average joe is minding his own business and then suddenly a truck/shark/aliens just appear out of thin air to chase him for no reason besides the fact that their purpose is to kill average joe. yeah nevermind that it's supposedly based on a great work of science fiction literature, it's really an "average joe gets chased" movie dressed up like sci-fi. some of the special effects were pretty neat, i liked the bit where the walkers are spraying the land with blood, and Tim Robbins' acting (as "Basement Guy") was pretty good. too bad that Basement Guy didn't fly a crop duster armed with a computer virus on a nuclear warhead into the alien mothership -- that woulda prolly made me sit up straight, rather than think "hmm, oh, more scenes of people getting squished, mashed, chopped, shredded, pulped, juiced, fried and grilled."

and Dakota Fanning squeaking and squealing and shrieking every 30 seconds... bleh. after a few minutes of that i was like "ENOUGH OF THAT, ALREADY. i get the idea, she's an annoying little wide-eyed cherub who's going to pee in her diaper any moment now. just please give my ears a rest."

i still prefer "Duel" and "Jaws," as far as Spielberg movies that are cut from the same "guy gets chased" pattern. those movies have a sort of psychological/emotional weight to them... it's easy to sympathize with the guys in those movies when they look back over their shoulders and go "oh crap, here it comes again. WHY ME???" War Of The Worlds is such a bummer, emotionally. its ending is so fake, so very very fake -- billions of people got toasted, yet "oh, look who's survived just by virtue of being family & relatives of the Tom Cruise average joe character." i don't think that's a nitpick about a piddly detail. i mean this movie's emotional gestures are an afterthought. the feelings conveyed by something like "Independence Day" may be super-cliche, too idealistic, but at least they're sincere... i may not agree with the idea that patriotism & multi-cultural harmony can save the day, but i can appreciate that Roland Emmerich seems to believe in what his movie is saying. "what saves the average joe's family from the aliens in War Of The Worlds? the power of his LOVE." is that supposed to be a joke, Spielberg? they're saved by good karma??? it just feels dishonest.

i think the emotional dishonesty of WOTW's ending is the same thing that Spielberg did with A.I. actually. there was a movie that was pretty good until the last 15 or 20 minutes, then it's as if Spielberg decided that the audience prolly needs a happy ending. so instead of ending it with the boy-robot destined to rot at the bottom of the sea, the movie turns around and says "relax! just kidding! Pinocchio doesn't really die, he gets saved by aliens."

Spielberg's by no means my favorite director, but i've seen enough of his stuff that i just know he could've done better than this. he could have given the audience a little something to laugh about, to cry about, and to cheer about... he's done it plenty of times before and he still knows how to do it. but instead, we get Earth turned into the best-looking CGI abbatoire ever committed to film and a tacked-on happy ending that doesn't seem sincere at all. technically it's VERY impressive, the movie looks great and the effects & action are alright. the family drama had potential, but it just didn't work and it's impossible to ignore.

DivineBeingX
07-19-2005, 02:30 PM
what was so important about the birds in this film? i watched it 3 times and still couldnt figure out what the birds had to do with this movie

Barbarossa
07-19-2005, 04:17 PM
what was so important about the birds in this film? i watched it 3 times and still couldnt figure out what the birds had to do with this movie

FFS!!! The birds were seen landing on the tripod, which showed that the energy shield wasn't there, and so the tripods could be shot at!! :frusty:

Nigi
07-19-2005, 06:00 PM
I think i'll pay to see this one in theaters. I think it will be worth it. :)

BogginHarry
07-21-2005, 03:09 AM
Excellent film! The effects were top-notch throughout.

DivineBeingX
07-21-2005, 02:20 PM

FFS!!! The birds were seen landing on the tripod, which showed that the energy shield wasn't there, and so the tripods could be shot at!! :frusty:

how did the shields go down?

Busyman
07-21-2005, 02:28 PM

how did the shields go down?
The aliens got sick and woosy and they all accidentely pressed the "Turn Shields Off" button. :dry:

When I get drunk, I always accidentely turn my CD player off.

Actually the aliens technology seemed like it was living. I mean, they were stuffing people into their two assholes.

hippychick
07-21-2005, 03:10 PM
LOL this thread is funnier then then some of the jokes in Funny stuff :lol: I like reading busyman and peezry comments :D
In Ares I found WOTW but its by pot 2 prt you can find it quick by using the search word youmom

ApacNTS
07-26-2005, 01:25 AM
not to dig up an old thread...eh well too late for that now, but i have to say, the beginning was good, middle was good, i wanted that little girl to die so bad, just so she'd shut the fuck up....more annoying than anything in the movie, finally someone gave her some prozac, crack or icecream and she calmed down. the old man in the cellar was annoying as well, if i coulda bashed his head in with a rusty sledgehammer i would of. the ending was bad, i mean of all things "we can nuke em, shoot em, stab em, and drown em, but nothing works....hey wait...someone go piss on em, maybe they'll die from bacteria" on a plus note, the cinematics were great, very well done.

dinner123
07-27-2005, 04:46 PM
this film sucked so much. there were so many plot holes, it seemed to fall apart at the end.
like when tom and that guy are having a fight about the shotgun but the 'tentacle' cant seem to hear it. you think they would have a sound input or infra red or something. also everything was a little to convenient, like when he was running in the shop at the beggining, the two people on either side of him get hit, but somehow they cant hit him.

ziggyjuarez
07-28-2005, 05:19 AM
like when tom and that guy are having a fight about the shotgun but the 'tentacle' cant seem to hear it. you think they would have a sound input or infra red or something. also everything was a little to convenient, like when he was running in the shop at the beggining, the two people on either side of him get hit, but somehow they cant hit him.
Its A Movie.

dinner123
07-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Its A Movie.
well it could have been alot better,
it could have shot at him and he dodges it or something

stateroute
07-29-2005, 10:16 AM
i thought it was TERRIBLE. and i expected so much!

dzr
08-08-2005, 09:56 PM
was a great movie...