PDA

View Full Version : Taking Gaming to Seriously

Gripper
06-10-2005, 08:25 AM
www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2137705/online-game-ends-murder

At the end of the day the guy murdered someone for something that didn't exsist in the real world,something else for the ban this, that and everything else they don't like to get hold of and blame the sins of the world on computers.

Rip The Jacker
06-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Yeah I was going to post this yesterday, didn't get around to it.

Some people just take this stuff way too seriously...

RPerry
06-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Destroying the rest of your life over a game...... I think the worst I have ever done is throw my controller, and I haven't done that in years :blink:

GepperRankins
06-10-2005, 12:40 PM
and to think microsoft are wanting to make it mainstream to sell virtual items for real money :smilie4: :praysworriedmothersgrabthisstory:

bigboab
06-10-2005, 01:16 PM
He should be Hung. But I suppose you just have to live with the name you are born with.:unsure:

Money Fist
06-10-2005, 01:45 PM
well that Zhu Caoyuan did take the (big time) piss by selling it

i wounder if the new weapon owner knows about the real blood shed caused just for his virtual weapon

and if Qui broke into Zhus house
why didnt he steal the PC and sell it for about £500?

vidcc
06-10-2005, 03:13 PM
I have a feeling the game itself is incidental to this man. He could just as easily have snapped over losing a promotion to someone else.. It was a feeling of injustice. Silly as it may be.
Many a murder has been committed after something not worth considering boils up into rage. Every day people stress themselves out over nothing. Look at how some people explode over being cut up on the road or seeing someone push in a queue.

@ boab.

-4 out of 10 for that one :pinch:

The story I was directed to from the link made no mention of the size of his penis, but I suspect if he was "hung" he probably would be more popular with the ladies and would have been spending time with them instead of playing video games :unsure:

GepperRankins
06-10-2005, 03:48 PM
if you lent somebody something like a camcorder IRL and they sold it for £500, then refused to give you any profit. can you see how pissed off this guy is then?

JPaul
06-10-2005, 04:39 PM
it just shows you, be careful who you lend your virtual sword to kids.

The thing I find most strange is not the rage / murder thing. As vidcc said people can lose the rag for reasons which seem out of all proportion.

However someone was willing to pay £500 for a virtual sword, which suggest to me a market for such "things". Is this common, has the world run mad, why was I not informed.

tracydani
06-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Seems to me they should have given him a virtual life sentence instead of a suspended death sentence....

tracydani
06-10-2005, 07:22 PM
However someone was willing to pay £500 for a virtual sword, which suggest to me a market for such "things". Is this common, has the world run mad, why was I not informed.

I read about an online world in the making a while back. I believe it was more of an online meeting place of sorts and not a game but they had or were gonna have plenty of virtual items to collect.

They discussed selling a virtual currency so you could purchase items like virtual hover boards etc. At the time I thought this wouldn't really work well but now.....

TD

Mr JP Fugley
06-10-2005, 08:04 PM

I read about an online world in the making a while back. I believe it was more of an online meeting place of sorts and not a game but they had or were gonna have plenty of virtual items to collect.

They discussed selling a virtual currency so you could purchase items like virtual hover boards etc. At the time I thought this wouldn't really work well but now.....

TD
I post on the internet, fair enough, but I see it as a wee thing which enhances my life. Get to meet and chat to people I wouldn't otherwise, like your good self.

However you feel like grabbing these people by the collar and shouting "GET A FUCKING LIFE, GO OUT WITH PEOPLE, DRINK BEER, GET LAID"

bigboab
06-10-2005, 08:07 PM

TD
I post on the internet, fair enough, but I see it as a wee thing which enhances my life. Get to meet and chat to people I wouldn't otherwise, like your good self.

However you feel like grabbing these people by the collar and shouting "GET A FUCKING LIFE, GO OUT WITH PEOPLE, DRINK BEER, GET LAID"

Thanks JP. I'm off down the town.:) You can explain to Mrs Bigboab.:)

Mr JP Fugley
06-10-2005, 08:18 PM

Thanks JP. I'm off down the town.:) You can explain to Mrs Bigboab.:)
Over breakfast perhaps :naughty:

bigboab
06-10-2005, 08:34 PM
:lol: Ok if you like burnt offerings, even boiled eggs:cry:

Back on thread. Where were we?:)
It is easier to show virtual emotions. You cant se the size of the opposition. As JP says,more or less, switch the bloody thing off if it affects you too much.

daxianne
06-19-2005, 07:22 PM
There had to be something wrong with the guy to begin with, like vidcc said, he could've snapped over anything that became that important to him, it just happened to be that what was important to him was gaming. Which is just plain sad.

maebach
06-19-2005, 08:13 PM
im sure this isn't a first. i think a person committed suicide after losing in everquest a few years ago. from what i remember. even then what does, asia have other than gaming. its the only thing they can show off in other than ping pong or cricket or something.

silent h3ro
06-20-2005, 01:32 AM
if you lent somebody something like a camcorder IRL and they sold it for £500, then refused to give you any profit. can you see how pissed off this guy is then? I sure as hell would'nt kill someone over it. :frusty:

Smith
06-20-2005, 04:50 AM
I didnt know Gam3guy lived in china :unsure:

RPerry
06-20-2005, 11:31 AM
if you lent somebody something like a camcorder IRL and they sold it for £500, then refused to give you any profit. can you see how pissed off this guy is then?

Yes, someting stolen IRL is one thing, something stolen that only exists in a fantay world is quite another :blink:

Snee
06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
But in some ways, isn't that like all other software "theft"?

Download and use an operating system originally produced by microsoft- theft.
Download music- theft
Download Doom 3- theft

and so on.

None of it had a physical counterpart you actually stole, it only existed electronically, yet acquiring it was considered theft.

Granted, the sword was just a small part of the actual game, but on the other hand it represented a lot of "work" for the person who owned it. The person who stole it stole something that represented a lot of hours spent, which isn't that different from lost potential profits, which is what the companies say we take from them.

Of course, none of it is worth killing someone over, but I think certain companies are pushing to expand the definition of what's theft into very abstract and fuzzy areas, and I wonder if more people will start to think of the concept of theft in a similar way because of the influence these companies have on our society, and on our governments.

GepperRankins
06-20-2005, 12:30 PM

Yes, someting stolen IRL is one thing, something stolen that only exists in a fantay world is quite another :blink:
it's a luxery item worth £500 to the owner. it is the same thing.

i wouldn't compare this with piracy either. piracy takes a tiny portion of many peoples potential money. this is probably two weeks wages to the three people involved.

also piracy is cloning software. no-one really loses anything

S!X
06-25-2005, 08:41 AM
I heard about this on the news I think awhile ago, It makes me wonder what it takes for someone to do that. A game is a game, Get over it.

orcutt989
06-27-2005, 03:01 AM
But he didnt get the sword back?

Helghast004
07-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Ok im a gamer, hardcore if you must call it that..., but this is just taking it too far. I've had things stolen from me on internet games such as Diablo and ill get all pissed cause I've probably worked hard to aquire the item. I wont go killing someone for it. :dry: