PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid question from 3Lions...

threelions00
06-10-2005, 03:35 PM
This made sound silly but last night, i took the side of my PC and saw my fan was quite dusty....

can this affect the performance of the PC much?

feel free to either, a) laugh, b) comment or c) cry at my incompetence.

thanks

DigitalSoul
06-10-2005, 03:38 PM
yes it can...you should clean your pc box form time to time.id suggest you buy some can-air, its not that expensive and will clean the shit out of your pc

threelions00
06-10-2005, 03:40 PM
ok...just generally blast it about in there all over the show then and pick up what's left?

Samurai
06-10-2005, 03:54 PM
get a can of deodorant and a lighter... much cheaper ;)

Snee
06-10-2005, 03:54 PM
I've seen some people suggest you use a q-tip to (carefully) clean the fan-blades of dust. Remove what you can with the can first, anyway.

Make sure, when doing this, and anything else that may lead to you touching any components, that there's no static electricity.

TheNobleEU
06-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Absolutely -- dust can and will interfere with the ability of your cooling devices to channel heat (particular relevant to the new generation of CPUs and AGP/PCI-E cards with hardcore onboard HSFs).

As mentioned, canned air is the best bet -- blast that crap out of there to keep your temps low, especially since we're about to get the heat wave...

Cheers,
-Noble

Samurai
06-10-2005, 03:58 PM
i just found out that a q-tip is foreign for cotten bud

you learn something new everyday :)

go google!

threelions00
06-10-2005, 04:00 PM
i thought he meant a pool cue...tried figuring it out...cheers samurai for the clear up...

Samurai
06-10-2005, 04:15 PM
you could use a pool cue - just make sure you chalk it first so you know where you've wiped :shifty:

peat moss
06-11-2005, 02:21 PM

go google!

And I thought they were just for your ears ! I use a vacuum attachment with the soft brush. After turning off the computer first . That can air just blows shit around and sprays wet if you shake or hold in upside down. I liked the post about the leaf blower . :D

nostalgia
06-11-2005, 02:33 PM
For cleaning dust of fans etc you could also steal a make-up brush from your wife/daughter/mother/grandma. Works like a charm (the soft ones of course).

lynx
06-11-2005, 03:51 PM
For cleaning dust of fans etc you could also steal a make-up brush from your wife/daughter/mother/grandma. Works like a charm (the soft ones of course).Yes, never steal make-up brushes from the hard ones, they are likely to beat you up. :blink:

Virtualbody1234
06-11-2005, 03:54 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t96636.html

Mïcrösöül°V³
06-11-2005, 04:06 PM
also, use something like a paper clip or pencil to hold your fans still while you blast them with air. Its generally not a good idea to let the canned air spin your fans, as it may spin them faster than they are supposed to, and could wear them out quickly.

nostalgia
06-11-2005, 06:48 PM
For cleaning dust of fans etc you could also steal a make-up brush from your wife/daughter/mother/grandma. Works like a charm (the soft ones of course).Yes, never steal make-up brushes from the hard ones, they are likely to beat you up. :blink:

Depends on what hobby you have :-)

Snee
06-11-2005, 07:01 PM

go google!

And I thought they were just for your ears ! I use a vacuum attachment with the soft brush. After turning off the computer first . That can air just blows shit around and sprays wet if you shake or hold in upside down. I liked the post about the leaf blower . :D

In my experience you pick up a lot of static electricity when vacuuming with a brush, I wouldn't use it near my mobo. Maybe that's just something that happens with some vacuum cleaners or something, though.

I think they even make some of those air-cans for electronics, never seen one go wet myself :unsure: Haven't really used those much myself, though. But an air-can is the best I can think of if the cleaning that needs doing is serious.

The very best thing, if you can still keep your temps down, are dust-filters on the case. That way you don't need to worry about dust in your case in the first place. But you do need to keep the filters clean.