PDA

View Full Version : think my CPU is screwed

Adster
06-11-2005, 12:07 PM
got a Gigabytte k8 ultra 9 board adn AMD 64 bit 989 s3200 board

now I happened to fry the mobo and RAM and video card

I was able to lucky enough be able to replace the mobo video card and bought new ram

now I have it all connect...

I start the PC up light comes on CPU fan is going I hear no beeps and shit all is happening no picture nothing

no HDs pluged in no CD DVD ROMS pluged in

Just CPU video card RAM which are all new

im guessing that the CPU was mafuckto in that same week too which is gonna cost me $400 :angry:

but hearing no beeps??? strange I am pissed right now

any ideas>?

clocker
06-11-2005, 12:25 PM
got a Gigabytte k8 ultra 9 board adn AMD 64 bit 989 s3200 board

now I happened to fry the mobo and RAM and video card

Killing three major components just happened?
Hmmm.....

How much RAM is installed, what kind is it and which slots does it populate?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Adster
06-11-2005, 12:29 PM
yeah you might be a good help same board as me!!

yeah i got kingmax ram 1 gig DDr 3200

yeah it was my fuck up how I screwed the ram card and board before didn;t have it bolted down I was very lucky to ge replacments with them... got told my CPU was fine though

The 2 sticks are in the red colour slots on the board

im just wondering if my wireing is correct too with the Power Rest switch pins

white is netative right?

clocker
06-11-2005, 12:38 PM
The 2 sticks are in the red colour slots on the board

They should be in the blue slots closest to the CPU socket.

im just wondering if my wireing is correct too with the Power Rest switch pins

white is netative right?
The "polarity" of the power/reset buttons is irrelevant.

Adster
06-11-2005, 12:39 PM
blure really/?? thanks Ill try that now

strange it didn't beep though

Adster
06-11-2005, 12:51 PM
well tryed puting them in the blue sluts and still does shit all

make that 4 things I must have fried at once!!! in 5 seconds!! fuck sake gonna have to pay for a new CPU

clocker
06-11-2005, 12:54 PM
well tryed puting them in the blue sluts and still does shit all

make that 4 things I must have fried at once!!! in 5 seconds!! fuck sake gonna have to pay for a new CPU
On the bright side, I believe that you now hold the forum record for most expensive fuckup.
That has to be worth something....

Snee
06-11-2005, 12:57 PM
I'd watch out for the blue sluts if I were you.

They tend to be so desperate :ermm:

Adster
06-11-2005, 12:58 PM
thats great

im just wondering why the bitch of a thing doesn't beep at me to say its fucked is it the mobo that beeps or the CPU

clocker
06-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Just out of curiousity....you do have a speaker actually hooked up to the mobo, right?

Adster
06-11-2005, 01:11 PM
do you mean speaker as in the wireing or speaker as In speakers i plug into sound card??

i have nothing plugged into sound card

clocker
06-11-2005, 01:45 PM
I mean the little piezoelectric speaker that plugs into the front panel connector header.
The one that will beep when you POST.
Or not.

Adster
06-11-2005, 01:58 PM
yeah I got that pluged in hopfully its in the right postigve negative im guessing black is negative

clocker
06-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Try reversing it then.

lynx
06-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Given that you haven't noticed that your power led connector is a 3-pin attachment I won't be at all surprised if you've connected the speaker incorrectly, or anything else for that matter.

Have you tried reading the manual at all? It is amazing how that can help occasionally.

BTW, black is negative, but that is only important if it is a Piezo-electric buzzer. An ordinary miniature speaker is not polarity sensitive.
With reference to the Front panel connector, red goes on pin 14, black goes on pin 20.

Best way forward is to disconnect everything you can, including removing any cards (including graphics). The only thing connected should be the cpu, ram (just one stick) internal speaker and power switch. Start from there and see if you get any post beeps.

Virtualbody1234
06-11-2005, 03:43 PM
You fry your system and then you continue to haphazardly build it? When will you learn?

SaYiaN
06-11-2005, 04:09 PM
So the mobo is dead or what?

If not, try redoing the power wiring's, making sure that all the power wires are secure on their proper parts.

Adster
06-12-2005, 12:18 AM
You fry your system and then you continue to haphazardly build it? When will you learn?

wont learn i spend all this money on this shit need to get it up and running

motherboard can't be dead its brand new jsut got replaced and this time I didn't hear any sparks or smell burning

speaker yes black on 20 red on 14 no beeps im getting pissed off with this shit

Virtualbody1234
06-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Is the power supply connected properly? Did you connect the extra 12v ATX 4 pin connector to the motherboard?

Is the power supply good? Maybe the short blew it too.

Adster
06-12-2005, 01:17 AM
yeah all that is connected fine

I don;'t have another mobo to test it on thats the big problem.

but if the power supply was screwed wouldn't the fans not go or power not even turn on?

Virtualbody1234
06-12-2005, 01:33 AM
No. The power supply is divided to supply different voltages to different parts of a system. The fan could still work yet other parts aren't getting power.

Don't you have another power supply you could try as a test? I could be taken from another system temporarily just for the test.

Adster
06-12-2005, 01:48 AM
got this one but its 20 pin and doesnt have that 4 pin V plug

clocker
06-12-2005, 02:07 PM
motherboard can't be dead its brand new jsut got replaced and this time I didn't hear any sparks or smell burning

Always a good sign.
Do you have a friendly local PC shop that would be willing to help you out?
This would be a lot easier if you had access to another PSU (or even CPU) to try.

Peerzy
06-12-2005, 04:52 PM
For what its worth take it down to your local PC shop like Clocker says, give it to them say what happened and leave it with them for a few days. Im sure they will be able to find out whats fried and whats good. And should only charge a small price for there time (£20 or so) and offer to replace the parts for the price of the parts.

I'd much rather be 100% sure its certain parts and have spent £20 and have had an expect look at it then have to buy every part again (£500+)

Adster
06-13-2005, 03:31 AM
yeah that what ill do take it to someone tomorrow

clocker
06-13-2005, 03:59 AM
And should only charge a small price for there time (£20 or so) and offer to replace the parts for the price of the parts.

As opposed to the price of a Buick?

Peerzy
06-13-2005, 04:20 AM
And should only charge a small price for there time (£20 or so) and offer to replace the parts for the price of the parts.

As opposed to the price of a Buick?

No, as opposed to not the price of the parts :huh:

Adster
06-13-2005, 05:45 AM
umm yeah hehe

well its most likley gonna cost $77 for labour an hr

tomorrow il take it today Monday is a public holiday for australia yes we get a day off for teh queens birthday that happens last month

clocker
06-13-2005, 01:13 PM
umm yeah hehe

well its most likley gonna cost $77 for labour an hr
They might have a flat fee for diagnostic work...it's silly to pay an hourly fee when most of the time is just spent watching scans and seeing what turns up.
Besides, you have a very narrow range of issues to check out...shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to figure out your problem.

tomorrow il take it today Monday is a public holiday for australia yes we get a day off for teh queens birthday that happens last month
Did you guys just now hear about Her Majesty's birthday?
I'll bet she was crushed when she didn't even get a card.

You'd think that someone could have picked up the phone and let you know, but better late than never I suppose.

Virtualbody1234
06-13-2005, 03:26 PM
At least try another power supply before paying $77 an hr.

Adster
06-14-2005, 07:31 AM
tis ok took it to PC shop the CPU was mafuckto

so i went and bought 3500 for 420 bucks

labour didn't cost anything so that was fine :)

good and bad news I guess