PDA

View Full Version : Barebone Kit

suprafreak6
06-12-2005, 05:48 AM
Anyone think it would be hard for me to make a computer using barebone...Im only 14 but i have some knoledge as to whats going on someone wanna help me if i did get one?

S!X
06-12-2005, 06:20 AM
IT would be a little bit easier then having to put everything together. And yes were always here to help.

peat moss
06-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Help is only a key stroke away ! Just explain what your looking for and your budget. Gamer ? :)

Snee
06-12-2005, 12:29 PM
SFF barebones rawk.

There is one problem with a lot of kits, though: space.

You might have a hard time fitting everything in there, as it can be a bit of a puzzle, and there's only so much room for you to put what you want in there. And it may also be a bit tricky to put it all together as you may at times need to reach into small spaces to connect cables as such. (I am speaking from experience here.) Also, forget about SLi, no existing kit I know of today supports it.

Generally speaking I'd recommend someone have picked apart a couple of computers before they buy a shuttle or something else that's small.

Lastly, regarding what's negative about it, you might not be able to fit any other model of mobo, apart from the one that's in the kit, in the case.

Otherwise barebones are brilliant IMO, I'd recommend something like a shuttle sn25p if you can afford it, but shuttle, iwill, and others make some other decent machines as well.

If you already have a socket A processor looking for a new home, I can recommend the sn45g, 'tis in my experience a brilliant machine, except from the small matter of not being able to alter the ram voltages on later revisions (it may kill your mobo if you have the option and you try doing it).

The psus are usually rated at what people would call a low wattage, but the wattage rating is deceptive (usually), when it comes to what the machine can actually handle.

If you want something close to the size of the small ones, but with better compatibility, you could put something together from an antec aria, paired with a mATX mobo of your choosing.

I'd also have a look here: http://forums.sudhian.com/ for information, and possibly advice.

clocker
06-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Also, forget about SLi, no existing kit I know of today supports it.

IWILL does. (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/05/25/preview_zmaxd2/1.html)
I didn't get that we were talking about a SFF system from the original post.
"Barebones" doesn't denote size does it?

Virtualbody1234
06-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Nope. Barebone systems come in all sizes.

clocker
06-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Just as I suspected.

suprafreak6
06-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Help is only a key stroke away ! Just explain what your looking for and your budget. Gamer ? :)

Thanks...I dno what could i get at best for cheapesti want a cool case though preferably with window so some time in future i could add neons once i learn how to...also i have an existing pentium 3 856mhz but i dought i should use that processor in a new barebone so what could i get for cheapest but good quality :lol:

Snee
06-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Also, forget about SLi, no existing kit I know of today supports it.

IWILL does. (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/05/25/preview_zmaxd2/1.html)
Yeah, I knew that, I just posted about the type of barebones I like. As a recommendation, like. [I probably should have been more clear about that, so I apologize for any confusion.]

I didn't know about that iwill btw, that's cool.

@suprafreak: Going in the same direction as before, ie sff, the shuttle sv25 was supposedly a good machine according to some, dunno' where to buy one, or another socket 370 bb though.

Virtualbody1234
06-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Plenty to choose from here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=3&Submit=Property

If you could provide us with a price range, size or type of case and processor preference or any other preferences then you could help you choose.

suprafreak6
06-12-2005, 10:11 PM
ill look around and get back to you with price range and size and type of case and stuff in a hour or two

suprafreak6
06-12-2005, 10:16 PM
i feel liek a n00b but just to make sure a barebone comes with case and mobo right? thats all though right? correct me if im wrong...

peat moss
06-12-2005, 11:20 PM
We were all nOObs at one point.

Link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31&SRCCODE=CANWGOO&CMP=KNC-GOOGL

Its all in the interpretation I guess , I see VB 's link is just case, mobo and psu ? Mine is with cpu and ram ? Does give one an idea of the cost tho. To me barebones should be just that . Let me add what I already have . You would need the cpu and ram . I see most have onboard sound ,video and lan.

Hey you learn something new every day. :lookaroun

suprafreak6
06-13-2005, 12:10 AM
yeah cuz some at tigerdirect have a processor and i find those better cuz im making a whole new computer unless i could get all it cheaper somewhere

suprafreak6
06-13-2005, 12:14 AM
also i have a tigerdirect right by my house so its cool but i wanted to say i want everything i need just with out os and hdd and rom drive if possible they should have a place called custom barebones LOL

Virtualbody1234
06-13-2005, 12:21 AM
There is a place for custom barebones.

Build your own from scratch. In fact you'll end up with a better machine and you can choose each part.

peat moss
06-13-2005, 12:33 AM
Or mabye check out a white box store . Sometimes the little mom and pop computer stores have a lot to offer. If they can't beat the big guys in price they certainly do it in service . And you can mix and match so muth better .

Peerzy
06-13-2005, 12:44 AM
Build your own from scratch. In fact you'll end up with a better machine and you can choose each part.

Thats if he knows what good parts are, from your posts i've read so far he doesn't seem to knowledgeable with them (Asking if he should use his P3 in a new system he builds - P3 chip wouldn't fit in a newish mobo)

Before even thinking about building a pc spend a good few hours reading guides on how to, if you still have no clue then it might be best to pay someone in a shop £20 to assemble the parts. That is if they would do it if you didnt buy the stuff from them (Do you do that in your shop Clocker?)

peat moss
06-13-2005, 12:52 AM

Thats if he knows what good parts are, from your posts i've read so far he doesn't seem to knowledgeable with them (Asking if he should use his P3 in a new system he builds - P3 chip wouldn't fit in a newish mobo)

Before even thinking about building a pc spend a good few hours reading guides on how to, if you still have no clue then it might be best to pay someone in a shop £20 to assemble the parts. That is if they would do it if you didnt buy the stuff from them (Do you do that in your shop Clocker?)

Thats a good idea peerzy , they won't warranty the parts tho as they did n't supply them. But The shop I deal with, would gladly do it.

suprafreak6
06-13-2005, 12:59 AM
lol i cant make a whole computer but i can probly assemble one i think i read some guide at tigerdirect on assembling one

clocker
06-13-2005, 01:38 AM
That is if they would do it if you didnt buy the stuff from them (Do you do that in your shop Clocker?)
If they bought the parts from us we would assemble for free.
If they didn't, the charge would be $60.

Neither includes the OS/install.

Adster should look us up....

Virtualbody1234
06-13-2005, 01:52 AM
That would be quite a hike.

clocker
06-13-2005, 02:01 AM
Indeed it would.

But his PC would work.

suprafreak6
06-13-2005, 02:09 AM
u do online orders? lol

just kiddin around

Peerzy
06-13-2005, 03:05 AM
That is if they would do it if you didnt buy the stuff from them (Do you do that in your shop Clocker?)
If they bought the parts from us we would assemble for free.
If they didn't, the charge would be $60.

Neither includes the OS/install.

If i didn't know how to build a pc myself the $60 (£30) is a good deal. Seeing as people save a couple of hundred quid while building a pc they might as well put some of that money into getting it done right.

My local pc store charges £20 for an assemble or 'Full Maintance Tests & Cleanup' which basically means run Adware, Spyware & Virus programs and clean cookies :lol:

clocker
06-13-2005, 03:20 AM
New builds from our shop come with:
-Zone Alarm personal
-AVG personal
-MS Antispyware Beta
-Everest Home Edition
-CrapCleaner
-HD Tach
-Aquamark3
-Prime95

We run the last three benchmarks (Prime95 overnight) and save screenshots of the results (we keep copies for the duration of the one year warrantee).
The customer is ready to run and has proof of the performance.

All machines are set up stock*...if the owner wants to OC he can, but we won't.

*We do set up BIOS properly...it's amazing how stupid some of the BIOS defaults are.
We are now also flashing BIOS on Venice/San Diego builds so the chips are properly recognized by the boards.

Peerzy
06-13-2005, 03:24 AM
Nice, just wondering do your collegues know you get alot of software for yourself for free on the net? Also whats your policy on copied CD's? I took in a copied XP cd and when i came in later that day to check how my pc was doing (needed a new mobo) they had installed a new mobo and were using my computer to copy my copy of XP :lol:

How come your run Aquamark but not 3DMark 2003/2005, i always thought 3D Mark was far better.

suprafreak6
06-13-2005, 03:45 AM
that would be nice if someone made a barebone guide or somethin like that

just a thought not saying u need to

clocker
06-13-2005, 03:56 AM
Nice, just wondering do your collegues know you get alot of software for yourself for free on the net?
Huh?
Not sure I follow.

Also whats your policy on copied CD's? I took in a copied XP cd and when i came in later that day to check how my pc was doing (needed a new mobo) they had installed a new mobo and were using my computer to copy my copy of XP :lol:
We don't need CDs at all, all our OS's are on the server and can be loaded onto the HDD before installation.
The customer gets his (OEM) Windows pack unopened for later use if need be.

If you come in for an OS reinstall you must have a valid Windows license (either the sticker on the PC or the booklet like 95/98 used) or we won't/can't touch it.

How come your run Aquamark but not 3DMark 2003/2005, i always thought 3D Mark was far better.
Because Aquamark is faster and less boring.
3D Mark might be better, but who has the time?
Besides, 3DMark05 will bring even a high end card to it's knees and I'm tired of watching the whale-creature leap over the flying ship at 1FPS.

Peerzy
06-13-2005, 04:34 AM
Huh?
Not sure I follow.

Also whats your policy on copied CD's? I took in a copied XP cd and when i came in later that day to check how my pc was doing (needed a new mobo) they had installed a new mobo and were using my computer to copy my copy of XP :lol:
We don't need CDs at all, all our OS's are on the server and can be loaded onto the HDD before installation.
The customer gets his (OEM) Windows pack unopened for later use if need be.

If you come in for an OS reinstall you must have a valid Windows license (either the sticker on the PC or the booklet like 95/98 used) or we won't/can't touch it.

Because Aquamark is faster and less boring.
3D Mark might be better, but who has the time?
Besides, 3DMark05 will bring even a high end card to it's knees and I'm tired of watching the whale-creature leap over the flying ship at 1FPS.

Glad its not just me then, 03 still pushes my system quite a bit, tbh never run Aquamark before, might give it a go, see how big my e-penis is.

What i ment was Do the people you work with, know you activly pirate software (thats if you do, i just guess you do because your on a filesharing forum :P )

How does this server install work then? Is it like a ghoted image via Norton Ghost that installs? Sounds interesting.

Virtualbody1234
06-13-2005, 11:22 AM
that would be nice if someone made a barebone guide or somethin like that

just a thought not saying u need to
Check the first part of this post: Guides to building your own PCs (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=83312)

clocker
06-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Glad its not just me then, 03 still pushes my system quite a bit, tbh never run Aquamark before, might give it a go, see how big my e-penis is.
Let 'er schwinnng, big boy.

What i ment was Do the people you work with, know you activly pirate software (thats if you do, i just guess you do because your on a filesharing forum :P )
I'm too old to "actively" do anything.
All software currently installed on my machine is legal. Besides, much like your parents, what we do to our stuff is completely different than what you can do to yours.

How does this server install work then? Is it like a ghoted image via Norton Ghost that installs? Sounds interesting.
Yes, it is an image.
We use the MS OPK (OEM Preinstallation Kit) which, like nLite, allows you to customize the Windows install. All the drivers can be pre-loaded, as can the PID, preferences, even branding the OS with our logo. If you've ever used the System Restore disk from one of the big guys, you've seen an OPK install.
This is only used for new builds, naturally.

Service customers just get the plain vanilla version of whatever they have a valid PID for.