PDA

View Full Version : Tyson quits boxing after defeat

99%
06-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Tyson quits boxing after defeat

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40616000/jpg/_40616106_tyson203.jpg
Tyson v McBride photos (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/photo_galleries/4084942.stm)

Former world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson said he will quit boxing after losing to Irish journeyman Kevin McBride in Washington on Saturday. Tyson looked far from comfortable during his fight which many expected him to win, and referee Joe Cortez stopped the fight before round seven.

McBride, from Monaghan, was awarded the bout on a technical knockout.

"I'm not going to fight again. I haven't got the fighting guts or the heart any more," said the 38-year-old.

Tyson, who has a record of 50 wins, including 44 knockouts, six defeats and two no-contests, said he did not want to disgrace the sport.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/img/v3/end_quote.gif This win was for the pride of Ireland http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/img/v3/end_quote.gif

Kevin McBride

"I was just fighting to pay off the bills," he added. "I'm not an animal anymore."

Referee Cortez halted the bout after a manic sixth round.

Tyson was penalised two points for a head-butt that opened a cut under McBride's left eye.

McBride then had Tyson against the ropes and pushed him to the canvas, where he remained until after the bell rang.

Tyson returned to his stool only for trainer Jeff Fenech signalled to the referee that his boxer would be unable to continue.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/img/v3/end_quote.gif All Tyson has to do is get a new trainer, re-focus himself and he will be champion again http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/img/v3/end_quote.gif

From Paul
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/h2/h2.cgi?thread=%3C1118567492-22029.12%40forum1.thdo.bbc.co.uk%3E&find=%3C1118567492-22029.12%40forum1.thdo.bbc.co.uk%3E&board=fivelive.boxing&sort=Te)
Have your say on Five Live (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/h2/h2.cgi?thread=%3C1118567492-22029.12%40forum1.thdo.bbc.co.uk%3E&find=%3C1118567492-22029.12%40forum1.thdo.bbc.co.uk%3E&board=fivelive.boxing&sort=Te)

Two judges had Tyson leading 57-55 after six rounds while the third had the 32-year-old McBride ahead by the same margin.

"He's a tough warrior," the 32-year-old McBride said of Tyson.

"He's perhaps one of the greatest warriors of all time. I just got him at the right time."

McBride picked up just £80,000 for beating Tyson, who received £2.75m.

"I don't know if it's the end of the road for Mike Tyson, but it sure is the start of the road for me," said McBride.

"This win was for the pride of Ireland. I proved everyone wrong."

Sauce : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4084744.stm

:boxing:

Skiz
06-12-2005, 06:56 PM
I sucks to see Tysons career end like this. Sadly though, this is how so many boxers end their careers. They fight until they get beaten several times. All the greats have ended in this way. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holyfield, Louis, and now Tyson.

manker
06-12-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't reckon his career is over - he's in debt and while his name still draws $1million+ purses then he'll continue fighting and making 'stars' of journeymen like Danny Williams and now McBride.

It's a shame but money talks.

JPaul
06-12-2005, 07:31 PM
I don't like him and I hope his career is genuinely over now.

In fact as far as I'm concerned it was effectively over when Cus DAmato was no longer looking after him.

manker
06-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Didn't Cus D'Amato die before Tyson became World Champion, tho'.

Whatever you think of the man, he was a superb pugalist.

JPaul
06-12-2005, 08:08 PM
I believe you are right. He died before Tyson won it.

However I remain of the opinion that it was him who made Tyson. I believe that had he lived then he would have been able to have control him and that he would have been the greatest boxer ever.

As it is we will remember the rapist, the wife beater, the bankrupt mentalist.

manker
06-12-2005, 08:18 PM
It is unfortunate that we'll remember Tyson like that. He's still the best heavyweight I've watched live.

Still, I'm not so sure that D'Amato would have been able to control him after Tyson made his millions. Keeping a watchful eye on an angry young man with no money, using financial gain as a motivating factor to reward his dedication, is one thing. Restraining a millionaire manic depressive is another entirely. I don't think Tyson would have listened to him as much once he'd become 'The Baddest Man on the Planet'.

Tyson was/is a horribly flawed individual who would have ended up this way no matter what.

RPerry
06-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Finally something we all agree on. Tyson was at his best in the years following the death of Cus D'Amato. He still had Kevin Rooney in his corner when he became champion. We have Don King to thank for what became of him, and I for one hope he gets his one day. I'm tired of the talk I see that Mike Tyson was not that good.. blah blah. nobody could have beat Tyson around the time he won his belts. I honestly believe that. Yes, most of us watch now because we keep hoping we will see some of that flash he had a young adult, the rest watch to see what he will do next. As for me, I'm content to remember the day he beat Trevor Berbick, and started his reign as the top Heavyweight :(

JPaul
06-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Tyson was/is a horribly flawed individual who would have ended up this way no matter what.
I'm not so sure about that.

If reports are to be believed DAmato was like a trainer, mentor and Father rolled into one. I think his loss had a great deal to do with Tyson going of the rails.

Both directly as a response to the loss and indirectly because he was no longer the buffer between Tyson and people like King.

Sadly we will never know, but I think he would have been the best ever. He was certainly unbeatable in his prime.

Skiz
06-12-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm just glad I got to see him fight. I went to the Tyson/McNeely (first fight after prison) fight and I've got a t-shirt to prove it. :P

manker
06-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Sadly we will never knowIndeed, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I find that posthumous reports about an individual tend toward being eulogistic in almost all cases and respects. Evaluating the extent to which D'Amato could have prevented Tyson's freefall will almost certainly be influenced by this, I feel.

JPaul
06-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Sadly we will never knowIndeed, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I find that posthumous reports about an individual tend toward being eulogistic in almost all cases and respects. Evaluating the extent to which D'Amato could have prevented Tyson's freefall will almost certainly be influenced by this, I feel.
Absolutely, I agree with your agree to disagree sentiment.

I am a bit of a sentimentalist sometimes. :blushing:

JPaul
06-12-2005, 10:17 PM
I meant to say, there's a torrent at UKNova if anyone is interested.

Smith
06-13-2005, 12:17 AM
That sucks, i figured Tyson would win. Poor guy.

Rizindon
06-13-2005, 08:49 PM
well atleast he had made a correct decision for a change ... hope he can get his life back track..

RPerry
06-15-2005, 06:16 AM
I have just finished actually seeing the fight, and it has changed my prospective of it from what the media would have us believe. those of you interested, check out Pirate Bay.

davec8
06-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Tyson's still 40 million in debt. It's the only payday he know's and he's gullible. Showtime will suck up to him, tell him he's still a great draw, he'll fall for it and fight again. I don't think we've seen the last of Tyson in a ring.

Sonny21
06-15-2005, 07:42 PM
He will prob end up in jail again, so he doesn't have to pay his debt.

Daveboy
06-16-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm just glad I got to see him fight 15 years ago, man he was awesome then

maebach
06-17-2005, 12:12 AM
hes been going downhill since he lost to lennox lewis

Busyman
06-19-2005, 11:14 AM
I watched the Mike Tyson vs. Kevin McBride fight (held in Washington DC :clap: ) again and Mike looked good in the 6 rounds he fought.

It pisses me off that he quit and I'm sorry to say it but his post fight interview almost made cry. :(

He said many things surprisingly eloquently...

“I can still get in shape but I don’t think I have the fight and guts anymore,”

“I don’t have the stomach for this no more. I most likely won’t fight again. I’m not going to disrespect the sport by losing to this caliber of fighter. I’m sorry to disappoint. I wish there was some way the fans could get some of their money back.”

"I was fighting to pay some bills."

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He is the greatest heavyweight, besides, Muhammad Ali, that I have ever seen and it's painful to see a person that is, not just physically able, but in great physical conditioning, be mentally bereft. :(

That was one of the realest interviews I have seen him give in a long time.

manker
06-19-2005, 11:57 AM
That was one of the realest interviews I have seen him give in a long time.So you don't think it's a ruse in order that his purse increases for his next fight.

I think he'll fight within a twelve month and it'll be headlined as the greatest comeback since Lazarus :dry:

Busyman
06-19-2005, 12:06 PM
That was one of the realest interviews I have seen him give in a long time.So you don't think it's a ruse in order that his purse increases for his next fight.

I think he'll fight within a twelve month and it'll be headlined as the greatest comeback since Lazarus :dry:
A ruse? No.

Do I think he'll fight again? A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y

His interview was genuine however.

manker
06-19-2005, 12:27 PM
So you don't think it's a ruse in order that his purse increases for his next fight.

A ruse? No.

His interview was genuine however.I don't buy it. If he was worried about disgracing the sport, he'd have quit after biting Holyfield's ear off, or threatening to eat Lewis' children (not that he has any), or after he tried to break (forgotten his name) that guy's arm and then headbutted him.

Nope, Tyson's trying to make himself more marketable by 'quitting'.

99%
06-19-2005, 12:37 PM
June 30, 1966 - Mike Gerard Tyson (http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/tyson.htm) is born in Brooklyn, New York to Lorna Tyson and Jimmy Kirkpatrick.

1978 - Tyson, 12, is arrested in Brooklyn for purse-snatching and sent to Tryon School for Boys.

1979 - A boxing instructor at a New York State correction facility for boys brought Tyson to the attention of Cus D'Amato, who had guided Floyd Patterson to the heavyweight title.

1982 - Tyson is expelled from Catskill High School for a series of transgressions.

1984 - D'Amato becomes Tyson's legal guardian.

March 6, 1985 - In his professional debut, Tyson defeats Hector Mercedes in one round.

Nov. 4, 1985 - D'Amato dies of pneumonia.

Jan. 1986 - "When you see me smash somebody's skull, you enjoy it."

Feb. 1986 - "I try to catch them right on the tip of his nose because I try to punch the bone into the brain."

Nov. 22, 1986 - Tyson knocks out Trevor Berbick in the second round, winning the WBC heavyweight title to become the youngest heavyweight champion in history at age 20.

March 3, 1987 - Tyson defeats James "Bonecrusher" Smith at Las Vegas to win the WBA heavyweight title.

May 30, 1987 - Tyson knocks out Pinklon Thomas in the sixth round at Las Vegas to retain his WBA-WBC heavyweight titles.

May 30, 1987 - "Every shot was thrown with bad intentions. I was hoping he would get up so I could hit him again and keep him down."

Aug. 1, 1987 - Tyson decisions Tony Tucker to retain the WBA-WBC heavyweight titles and win the IBF heavyweight title.

Oct. 16, 1987 - Knocks out Tyrell Biggs in the seventh round in Atlantic City to retain the world heavyweight title.

Jan. 22, 1988 - Tyson knocks out Larry Holmes (http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/holmes.htm) in the fourth round to retain the world heavyweight title.

Feb. 9, 1988 - Tyson weds actress Robin Givens in New York.

March 1988 - "Real freedom is having nothing. I was freer when I didn't have a cent. Do you know what I do sometimes? Put on a ski mask and dress in old clothes, go out on the streets and beg for quarters."

March 1988 - "I love to hit people. I love to. Most celebrities are afraid someone's going to attack them. I want someone to attack me. No weapons. Just me and him. I like to beat men and beat them bad."

March 1988 - "When I fight someone, I want to break his will. I want to take his manhood. I want to rip out his heart and show it to him."

March 21, 1988 - Tyson knocks out Tony Tubbs to retain the world heavyweight title.

May 1988 - Tyson dents his Bentley convertible in a traffic accident in Manhattan. He gives the $183,000 car to two cops, later resulting in their suspensions.

June 17, 1988 - Robin Givens and her family publicly accuse Tyson of domestic violence.

June 1988 - "Anyone with a grain of sense would know that if I punched my wife I would rip her head off. It's all lies. I have never laid a finger on her."

June 27, 1988 - Tyson sues manager Bill Cayton to break their contract.

June 27, 1988 - Tyson knocks out Michael Spinks in 91 seconds to become undisputed linear heavyweight champion.

July 27, 1988 - Settles Cayton suit out of court, reducing Cayton's managerial share from one-third to 20 percent of purses.

Aug. 23, 1988 - Breaks a bone in his right hand in a 4 a.m. street brawl with professional fighter Mitch Green in Harlem.

Sept. 4, 1988 - Tyson crashes his BMW into a tree. The New York Daily News reports three days later that it was a suicide attempt.

Sept. 4, 1988 - Tyson is knocked unconscious after driving his BMW into a tree. Three days later, the New York Daily News reports the accident was a "suicide attempt" caused by a "chemical imbalance" that made him violent and irrational.

Sept. 30, 1988 - Givens says in a nationally televised interview that Tyson is a manic-depressive and that she is afraid of him. Tyson sits meekly next to her.

Oct. 7, 1988 - Givens files for divorce.

Oct. 14, 1988 - Tyson countersues Givens for divorce and annulment.

Oct. 26, 1988 - Tyson becomes partners with Don King.

Dec. 12, 1988 - Sandra Miller of New York sues Tyson for allegedly grabbing her, propositioning her and insulting her at a nightclub.

Dec. 15, 1988 - Lori Davis of New York sues Tyson for allegedly grabbing her buttocks while she was dancing at the same nightclub on the same night as the incident with Miller.

Feb. 14, 1989 - Tyson and Givens are divorced in the Dominican Republic.

Feb. 25, 1989 - Tyson knocks out Frank Bruno to retain the world heavyweight title.

April 9, 1989 - Accused of striking a parking attendant three times with an open hand outside a Los Angeles nightclub after the attendant asked Tyson to move his Mercedes-Benz out of a spot reserved for the club's owner. The charges are later dropped due to lack of witness cooperation.

July 21, 1989 - Tyson knocks out Carl "The Truth" Williams to retain the world heavyweight title.

Feb. 11, 1990 - In a stunning upset, Tyson is knocked out by James "Buster" Douglas in the 10th round and loses his world heavyweight title.

Nov. 1, 1990 - A New York City civil jury awards Sandra Miller $100 for battery after an incident in which boxer Tyson grabbed her breasts, insulted and propositioned her. The jury found Tyson's behavior "not outrageous."

June 28, 1991 - In his last fight before his legal problems, Tyson defeats Razor Ruddock in 12 rounds.

July 18, 1991 - Tyson meets Desiree Washington, a Miss Black America contestant, at a pageant rehearsal. They go to the boxer's hotel room in the early morning hours.

July 22, 1991 - Washington files a complaint with police accusing Tyson of rape.

Sept. 9, 1991 - A special grand jury indicts Tyson on rape and three other charges. Two days later, he is booked in Indianapolis and released on $30,000 cash bond.

Feb. 10, 1992 - After nine hours of deliberation, Tyson is found guilty on one count of rape and two counts of deviate sexual conduct.

March 26, 1992 - Superior Court Judge Patricia Gifford sentences Tyson to 10 years in prison, suspending four. She orders him to serve the term immediately.

May 8, 1992 - Tyson is found guilty of threatening a guard and disorderly conduct in prison, adding 15 days to his sentence.

Oct. 28, 1992 - Tyson's father, Jimmy Kirkpatrick, dies in Brooklyn, N.Y. Tyson does not ask for a leave to attend the funeral.

Aug. 6, 1993 - By a 2-1 vote, the Indiana Court of Appeals upholds Tyson's conviction.

Sept. 2, 1993 - The Indiana Supreme Court denies Tyson's appeal without comment.

March 25, 1995 - Tyson is released from the Indiana Youth Center near Plainfield, Indiana.

Aug. 19, 1995 - Begins comeback with 89 seconds victory over Peter McNeeley in Las Vegas.

Dec. 16, 1995 - Knocks out Buster Mathis, Jr. in third round in Philadelphia.

March 16, 1996 - Knocks out Frank Bruno in third round to win the WBC heavyweight title in Las Vegas.

Sept. 7, 1996 - Knocks out Bruce Seldon in first to win the WBA heavyweight title in Las Vegas. Stripped by WBC immediately after fight for not fighting mandatory challenger Lennox Lewis (http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/holyfield.htm).

Nov. 9, 1996 - Loses to Evander Holyfield (http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/holyfield.htm) when referee Mitch Halpern stops the bout in the 11th round.

June 28, 1997 - Tyson is disqualified after the third round of his rematch with Holyfield after he bites Holyfield twice, once on each ear. Tyson claims he was retaliating for a head butt inflicted by Holyfield that opened up a gash above his right eye. Referee Mills Lane ruled the butt was accidental.

July 9, 1997 - The Nevada State Athletic Commission, in a unanimous voice vote, revoked Tyson's boxing license and fined him $3 million for biting Holyfield.

Oct. 16, 1997 - Ordered to pay boxer Mitch Green $45,000 even though a jury ruled the former heavyweight champion was provoked into a Harlem street fight in 1988.

Oct. 29, 1997 - Broke a rib and punctured a lung on his right side when his motorcycle skidded off a Connecticut highway after hitting a patch of sand.

March 5, 1998 - Filed a $100 million lawsuit in U.S. District Court in New York against Don King, accusing the promoter of cheating him out of tens of millions of dollars.

March 9, 1998 - Filed a lawsuit against former managers Rory Holloway and John Horne, claiming they betrayed him by arranging a deal that made King the former heavyweight champion's exclusive promoter.

March 9, 1998 - Sherry Cole and Chevelle Butts filed a $22 million lawsuit against Tyson claiming he verbally and physically abused them March 1 at a Washington bistro after his sexual advances toward one of them were spurned.

July 16, 1998 - The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reinstated a $4.4 million award that a jury decided boxer Tyson owes former trainer Kevin Rooney for unjustly firing him.

July 17, 1998 - Applied for a boxing license in New Jersey.

July 29, 1998 - Appeared before the New Jersey Athletic Control Board to get a boxing license to resume his career. Tyson first choked back tears as he apologized for biting Evander Holyfield's ears. At the end of his 35-minute appearance, however, Tyson cursed in front of regulators after being continually questioned about biting Holyfield.

Aug. 13, 1998 - On the eve of a meeting of the New Jersey Athletic Control Board, Tyson's advisers abruptly withdrew his application for a New Jersey boxing license.

Aug. 31, 1998 - Tyson's Mercedes is rear-ended in Gaithersburg, Maryland. According to subsequent lawsuits, Tyson kicked one driver in the groin and punched another in the face before being restrained by his own bodyguards.

Sept. 2, 1998 - Richard Hardick filed an assault charge against Tyson. Hardick says he was kicked in the groin by Tyson after his car rear-ended a Mercedes driven by Tyson's wife, Monica, on Aug. 31.

Sept. 3, 1998 - Abmielec Saucedo filed a criminal assault against Tyson claiming Tyson punched him in the face as Saucedo talked with another driver following the accident of Aug. 31.

Oct. 13, 1998 - The psychiatric report of Tyson is released. According to doctors who examined him for five days, the report states Tyson is depressed and lacks self-esteem, but is mentally fit to return to boxing. The psychiatrists believe Tyson most likely won't "snap" again as he did when he bit Holyfield.

Oct. 19, 1998 - The Nevada Athletic Commission voted 4-1 to restore Tyson's boxing license, with the lone holdout commissioner James Nave.

Oct. 1998 - "I know I'm going to blow one day ... My life is doomed the way it is. I have no future. I feel bad about my outlook, how I feel about people and society, and that I'll never be part of society the way I should."

Oct. 1998 - "A lot of young women don't know what they're getting themselves into. A lot of them think it's fun, a game ... But they truly don't know what they're into when they lock themselves into a room and engage in sex with a man who knows how to handle a woman."

Nov. 1998 - "I think I'll take a bath in his blood."

Dec. 1, 1998 - Tyson pleads no contest to misdemeanor assault for kicking and punching two motorists involved in the Aug. 31 auto accident in Maryland.

Dec. 1998 - "I'm not much for talking. You know what I do. I put guys in body bags when I'm right."

Dec. 1998 - "The one thing I know, everyone respects the true person and everyone's not true with themselves. All of these people who are heroes, these guys who have been lily white and clean all their lives, if they went through what I went through, they would commit suicide. They don't have the heart that I have. I've lived places they can't defecate in."

Jan. 11, 1999 - "I could sell out Madison Square Garden masturbating."

Jan. 16, 1999 - Tyson knocked out Francois Botha in the fifth round. Tyson admitted to trying to break Botha's arm during the fight

Feb. 5, 1999 - Tyson sentenced to two concurrent two-year sentences for assaulting two motorists after a traffic accident in 1998. Judge Stephen Johnson suspended all but one year of jail time. Tyson was also fined $5,000 and sentenced to two years' probation after his release from jail. The decision could lead to more jail time for violating parole in Indiana.

Feb. 20, 1999 - Tyson was put in an isolation cell after a disturbance at the Montgomery County Detention Center. Several TV stations in Washington reported that Tyson became upset, either in his cell or a break room, and threw a television set. The set narrowly missed jail guards, and there were no injuries. It was later reported that Tyson was taken off anti-depressants two days previous to this incident.

Feb. 26, 1999 - Tyson was allowed to step out of solitary confinement today and won back his privileges following an appeal of a disciplinary ruling, his lawyer said. Paul Kemp said tyson's punishment for throwing a television in a recreation room in jail on Feb. 19 "was reduced to time served and he was restored to regular privileges".

Oct. 23, 1999 - In bout with Orlin Norris, Tyson hit Norris after the bell in the first round and the fight is declared a No Contest.

Nov. 18, 1999 - Members of 24-Carat Ferret Rescue arrive at boxer Tyson's estate in Las Vegas, where they take possession of two ferrets starving to death.

Dec. 10, 1999 - Authorities say they won't charge Tyson with neglecting two ferrets at his Las Vegas home mostly because they don't know who was supposed to be taking care of the animals.

Jan. 29, 2000 - Tyson stops Julius Francis (http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/francis.htm) in the second round in Manchester, England.

Feb. 8, 2000 - Tyson reaches settlement with two women who alleged he assaulted them at a Washington restaurant. They accused Tyson of grabbing one woman and requesting a sexual relationship, and that he swore at the other woman. They asked for a total of $7.5 million in damages. Lawyers for both sides agreed to keep terms of the settlement confidential.

May 19, 2000 - Tyson is accused by a topless dancer in a Las Vegas nightclub of punching her in the chest and hurling expletives at her. Police were called to the scene, but after interviewing witnesses, including Tyson himself, they decided not to press charges.

June 24, 2000 - In bout with Lou Savarese, Tyson knocked the referee down in order to keep punching Savarese after the bout was stopped.

June 27, 2000 - The former topless dancer is said to be seeking unspecified damages in a lawsuit filed against Tyson in connection with the May incident. The lawsuit has not been brought to court.

Aug. 22, 2000 - Tyson was fined $187,500 for his behavior after his 38-second victory over Savarase but escaped a ban from fighting again in Britain.

Sept. 14, 2000 - "I'm on the Zoloft to keep me from killing y'all ... It has really messed me up, and I don't want to be taking it, but they are concerned about the fact that I am a violent person, almost an animal. And they only want me to be an animal in the ring."

Oct. 20, 2000 - Tyson defeats Andrew Golota (http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/golota.htm). After the fight, Tyson is forced to submit a urine sample, which tests positive for marijuana. Michigan commission changes result to a No Contest.

Oct. 13, 2001 - Tyson defeats Brian Nielsen in seven rounds in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Dec. 18, 2001 - Police investigate claims that Tyson assaulted an ex-boxer outside a New York nightclub. Retired heavyweight Mitchell Rose filed the complaint, claiming Tyson attacked him after he made a joke about the former champion's entourage of women.

Jan. 2, 2002 - Tyson checked out of a Havana hotel after witnesses said he tossed glass Christmas ornaments at journalists trying to interview him. There were no reports of injuries, arrests or serious damage.

Jan. 22, 2002 - A press conference to announce the April 6 Tyson - Lennox Lewis (http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/lewis.htm) fight breaks into an all-out brawl. Tyson later admits to having bitten Lewis on the leg during the melee.

Jan. 22, 2002 - Police in Las Vegas said that they found evidence supporting a woman's claim she was raped by Tyson. The local district attorney's office says it will decide whether to charge Tyson.

Jan. 29, 2002 - "Just to let you know, I'm crazy, but I'm not crazy like that. I might want to have sex in a crazy place, but I don't want to kill or rape nobody or hurt nobody."

Jan. 29, 2002 - "I'm not Mother Teresa, but I'm not Charles Manson either."

May 1, 2002 - "It's no doubt I am going to win this fight and I feel confident about winning this fight. I normally don't do interviews with women unless I fornicate with them. So you shouldn't talk anymore ... Unless you want to, you know."

May 1, 2002 - "I wish that you guys had children so I could kick them in the fucking head or stomp on their testicles so you could feel my pain because that's the pain I have waking up every day."

May 1, 2002 - "I'm just like you. I enjoy the forbidden fruits in life, too. I think it's un-American not to go out with a woman, not to be with a beautiful woman, not to get my dick sucked ... It's just what I said before, everybody in this country is a big fucking liar. (The media) tells people ... that this person did this and this person did that and then we find out that we're just human and we find out that Michael Jordan cheats on his wife just like everybody else and that we all cheat on our fucking wife in one way or another either emotionally, physically or sexually or one way."

May 1, 2002 - "There's no one perfect. We're always gonna do that. Jimmy Swaggart is lascivious, Tyson is lascivious -- but we're not criminally, at least I'm not, criminally lascivious. You know what I mean. I may like to fornicate more than other people -- it's just who I am. I sacrifice so much of my life, can I at least get laid? I mean, I been robbed of my most of my money, can I at least get head without the people wanting to harass me and wanting to throw me in jail?"

May 1, 2002 - "I feel like sometimes that I was born, that I'm not meant for this society because everyone here is a fucking hypocrite. Everybody says they believe in God but they don't do God's work. Everybody counteracts what God is really about. If Jesus was here, do you think Jesus would show me any love? Do you think Jesus would love me? I'm a Muslim, but do you think Jesus would love me ... I think Jesus would have a drink with me and discuss ... why you acting like that? Now, he would be cool. He would talk to me. No Christian ever did that and said in the name of Jesus even ... They'd throw me in jail and write bad articles about me and then go to church on Sunday and say Jesus is a wonderful man and he's coming back to save us. But they don't understand that when he comes back, that these crazy greedy capitalistic men are gonna kill him again."

June 8, 2002 - Tyson is knocked out by Lennox Lewis (http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/lewis.htm) in the eight round in Memphis, Tennnessee.

Jan. 13, 2003 - Tyson is divorced from his wife Monica, with whom he has two children.

Feb. 22, 2003 - Tyson knocks out Clifford Etienne in the first round in Memphis, Tennnessee.

May 28, 2003 - In an interview, boxer Tyson denounces Desiree Washington as "just a lying, reptilian, monstrous, young lady. I just hate her guts. She put me in that state where, I don't know, I really wish I did now. Now I really do want to rape her and her fucking mama."

June 21, 2003 - Tyson allegedly beats up two autograph seekers in the lobby of the Brooklyn Marriott.

July 11, 2003 - A bodyguard files suit against Tyson, claiming that the boxer punched him twice in the face, breaking his left orbital bone.

Aug. 1, 2003 - Tyson files for bankruptcy in New York.

Sept. 13, 2003 - Tyson attends a charity benefit at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch. When asked why he came, Tyson confesses "Because I've got nothing else to do."

Sept. 21, 2003 - Rap artist 50 Cent purchases Tyson's 48,000-square-foot mansion in Farmington, Connecticut for $4.1 million.

June 28, 2004 - In an interview, Tyson announces that since declaring bankruptcy "I've got nowhere to live. I've been crashing with friends, literally sleeping in shelters. Unsavoury characters are giving me money and I'm taking it. I need it. The drug dealers, they sympathise with me. They see me as some sort of pathetic character ... I know I was a tough, bad-ass talking fighter, but I ain't no mob figure. I did my time for the rape. I paid my money to Las Vegas. I paid my dues. I ain't the same person I was when I bit that guy's ear off."

July 30, 2004 - Tyson is knocked out in the fourth round by Danny Williams (http://boxing.about.com/od/records/a/williams.htm) in Louisville, Kentucky.

June 11, 2005 - Tyson fails to come out for the seventh round against Kevin McBride (http://boxing.about.com/library/bl_mcbride.htm) in Washington, D.C.. After the fight, Tyson said "I don't have the stomach for this anymore. I most likely won't fight anymore. I'm not going to disrespect the sport by losing to this caliber of fighter".

..whoa now thats a life:blink:

Busyman
06-19-2005, 12:46 PM
A ruse? No.

His interview was genuine however.I don't buy it. If he was worried about disgracing the sport, he'd have quit after biting Holyfield's ear off, or threatening to eat Lewis' children (not that he has any), or after he tried to break (forgotten his name) that guy's arm and then headbutted him.

The bad thing is....I don't think he's that smart. You are giving way too much credit.

He's made himself much less marketable by quitting. Everyone comes to a point when they feel enough is enough. Regardless of what he did before, he feels NOW it's a disgrace and feeling down like many fighters do. Later I feel he'll change his mind.

There are too many folks pissed with him quitting a fight against a bum like Kevin Mcbride. Many folks were throwing shit at him.

manker
06-19-2005, 12:59 PM
I don't buy it. If he was worried about disgracing the sport, he'd have quit after biting Holyfield's ear off, or threatening to eat Lewis' children (not that he has any), or after he tried to break (forgotten his name) that guy's arm and then headbutted him.

The bad thing is....I don't think he's that smart. You are giving way too much credit.

He's made himself much less marketable by quitting. Everyone comes to a point when they feel enough is enough. Regardless of what he did before, he feels NOW it's a disgrace and feeling down like many fighters do. Later I feel he'll change his mind.

There are too many folks pissed with him quitting a fight against a bum like Kevin Mcbride. Many folks were throwing shit at him.Duno, mate. I reckon he's far more intelligent than people give him credit for - he's just mental. Read some of the off-the-cuff quotes above and the language he uses, he's pretty smart and certainly understands the intricacies of the fight game. He is a keen student of boxing and knows how to foster public interest - if he hadn't quit then we (and millions of other people) wouldn't be talking about him.

Didn't take you for the sort who'd get taken in by that ;)

Still, there is no telling what he really thinks and he may have been being sincere, I just have massive doubts about that. To not box isn't an option for Tyson, he is aware of that and any utterances he makes to the contrary are made in order that interest increases for his next bout.

manker
06-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks for that. zed. Interesting stuff :D

Busyman
06-19-2005, 01:20 PM

There are too many folks pissed with him quitting a fight against a bum like Kevin Mcbride. Many folks were throwing shit at him.Duno, mate. I reckon he's far more intelligent than people give him credit for - he's just mental. Read some of the off-the-cuff quotes above and the language he uses, he's pretty smart and certainly understands the intricacies of the fight game. He is a keen student of boxing and knows how to foster public interest - if he hadn't quit then we (and millions of other people) wouldn't be talking about him.

Didn't take you for the sort who'd get taken in by that ;)

Still, there is no telling what he really thinks and he may have been being sincere, I just have massive doubts about that. To not box isn't an option for Tyson, he is aware of that and any utterances he makes to the contrary are made in order that interest increases for his next bout.
Damn dude did you read?

When asked would he fight again, I said A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y. Whne the he comes "home" to his bills, reality will kick in.

I've seen many fighters lose and say they'd quit. It has nothing to do with being taken in. Even when asked why he was hurting McBride's arm, he said "I was trying to win".

Can't get more real than that. He had no excuses left.

Btw if Mike hadn't quit and won the fight....yeah we'd still be talkin' about 'im.

Btw.........did you actually see the fight or the interview?

JPaul
06-19-2005, 01:22 PM
He is the greatest heavyweight, besides, Muhammad Ali,

What do you base this on. Who are the great fighters he beat. Most of the people he beat were bums, hence the early knockouts. He fought a few decent ones, some past their best.

He also lost to James "Buster" Douglas whilst in his prime. Who the feck was he. Since then he has only fought two real fighters, Evader Hollyfield (twice) and Lennox Lewis (once) he lost all three fights.

Granted he won the WBC title in a fight with Frank Bruno in 1996, but he was stripped of it because he dipped fighting Lennox Lewis in a mandatory defence. One could see why when he eventually did fight Lewis. Lewis was a proper boxer (Olympic Gold) who was big and strong and not intimidated by Tyson.

Instead of the original fight with Lewis he fought Bruce Seldon for the WBA title. Promptly losing this to Hollyfield.

I absolutely do not think he is one of the greatest. I think he may have went on to become one, but we will never know. People mistake Tyson could have been great with Tyson was great.

manker
06-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah, Busy, I read what you said. You were taken in with his spiel believing it to be genuine. I wasn't.

Busyman
06-19-2005, 01:34 PM
He is the greatest heavyweight, besides, Muhammad Ali,

What do you base this on.
I base it on what I've seen and how he beat his opponents.

Lennox and Evander were after his prime, so was Buster.

I firmly believe he is meidcated to a fault and mentally unstable. When I watched the Lennox fight, he looked great in round 1 then in round 2 he went catatonic. It was weird.

I remember when he was on Arsenio Hall (years ago) he was so intelligent and calm) but since Robin Givens divorce and all the trouble that followed, he's been a maniac.

I don't believe he even raped that woman.

edit: Oh and to add to that, I, among others, simply regard his fights more entertaining. The way in which he KO'd opponents was simply gratifying.

Watching other heavyweights just doesn't have the same appeal.

Busyman
06-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah, Busy, I read what you said. You were taken in with his spiel believing it to be genuine. I wasn't.
Mmk.

JPaul
06-19-2005, 01:42 PM
What do you base this on.

Not much of a prime then, Buster Douglas was 1990 and pretty much a journeyman.

So who did he beat of note.

You have him as the second greatest heavyweight boxer. In order to be this he has to have competed against other great (or really good) boxers.

Take Foreman for example, a great boxer, who fought the likes of Ali, Frazier and Norton.

Like I said, Tyson may have become one of the greats. However beating up average boxers, who were intimidated by his reputation, does not prove that he was. It certainly does not place him as second only to Ali.

Busyman
06-19-2005, 01:50 PM

You have him as the second greatest heavyweight boxer. In order to be this he has to have competed against other great (or really good) boxers.

Take Foreman for example, a great boxer, who fought the likes of Ali, Frazier and Norton.

Like I said, Tyson may have become one of the greats. However beating up average boxers, who were intimidated by his reputation, does not prove that he was. It certainly does not place him as second only to Ali.
From what I've seen, yes it does.

Keep in mind, I've seen Ali fights from watching Superbouts (I'm in my 30's).

Frank Bruno could have had an illustrious career (great stats) and beat many great fighters but 1) I've seen only about 7 Bruno fights and 2) those fights were boring.

You are talking stats and I'm talking pure adrenaline rush.

JPaul
06-19-2005, 02:17 PM

Frank Bruno could have had an illustrious career (great stats) and beat many great fighters but 1) I've seen only about 7 Bruno fights and 2) those fights were boring.

I would not suggest, for a second that Frank Bruno was a great fighter. Far from it, he was a bit above average with a good dig if he landed it.

"You are talking stats" = I am looking at what people have achieved and against whom they achieved it. Tyson simply did not fight / beat enough good fighters to be considered "second only to Ali"

Keep in mind I watched the "Rumble in the Jungle" when they were rumbling in the jungle. That was a pure rush, see I didn't know who had won when I watched it. When you watch the greats, you already know the result. When you watched Tyson it was probably live, or at least delayed but you didn't know who had won. Tho' with the mugs he fought it wasn't hard to guess.

Like I said, he may have been a great, but we will never know because he fecked up his career before he could go on to prove it. The cannon fodder he fought early on and beat easily proves nothing.

Busyman
06-19-2005, 06:11 PM

I would not suggest, for a second that Frank Bruno was a great fighter. Far from it, he was a bit above average with a good dig if he landed it.

"You are talking stats" = I am looking at what people have achieved and against whom they achieved it. Tyson simply did not fight / beat enough good fighters to be considered "second only to Ali"

Keep in mind I watched the "Rumble in the Jungle" when they were rumbling in the jungle. That was a pure rush, see I didn't know who had won when I watched it. When you watch the greats, you already know the result. When you watched Tyson it was probably live, or at least delayed but you didn't know who had won. Tho' with the mugs he fought it wasn't hard to guess.

Like I said, he may have been a great, but we will never know because he fecked up his career before he could go on to prove it. The cannon fodder he fought early on and beat easily proves nothing.
The problem is I ain't trying to prove anything. I like what I like.

JPaul
06-19-2005, 06:54 PM

It isn't a problem, you are entitled to like what you like, fair dinkum.

However you made a ridiculous statement, even you know that.

It would be like saying Tim Henman is the second best tennis player in the world. It is clearly untrue, the statistics show it. Whether one likes him or not.

Busyman
06-19-2005, 11:37 PM

It would be like saying Tim Henman is the second best tennis player in the world. It is clearly untrue, the statistics show it. Whether one likes him or not.
Nope. You are absolutely wrong again.

Read again would you.......

He is the greatest heavyweight, besides Muhammad Ali, that I have ever seen

I made no factual allusions whatsoever. Nice edit of my post on your part though. No really...nice try. ;)

There is a prize waiting for you at the door on your way out.

JPaul
06-20-2005, 04:42 PM

I made no factual allusions whatsoever. Nice edit of my post on your part though. No really...nice try. ;)

If Tyson is the second best heavyweight you have ever watched then you haven't watched much heavyweight boxing.

But wait, what have we here

"Keep in mind, I've seen Ali fights from watching Superbouts (I'm in my 30's)."

So have you also seen George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Evander Hollyfield, Lennox Lewis .... etc

So either you have watched a lot of heavyweights in which case your judgement is that Tyson was better than all of them (Ali excluded). I say again, what would you base that on, the facts deny it,

or

You haven't watched very much heavyweight boxing, in which case, my bad. I had thought you were perhaps a fan.

Busyman
06-20-2005, 06:36 PM

If Tyson is the second best heavyweight you have ever watched then you haven't watched much heavyweight boxing.

So have you also seen George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Evander Hollyfield, Lennox Lewis .... etc

So either you have watched a lot of heavyweights in which case your judgement is that Tyson was better than all of them (Ali excluded). I say again, what would you base that on, the facts deny it,

or

You haven't watched very much heavyweight boxing, in which case, my bad. I had thought you were perhaps a fan.
That's of no consequence.

What I said was purely an opinion.

I see you haven't received your prize at the door yet. :dry:

RPerry
06-20-2005, 06:49 PM

or

Comparing fighters of different era's is just about as smart as comparing baseball players of different era's ( not smart at all :P ) Things change with the time.

What I can say is that I have seen every one of Tysons fights as a proffesional, and up to the Buster Douglas Fight, I honestly don't believe there was anyone better. However, what ever happened before his first loss remains to be seen, but the Tyson who stepped into the ring that night was not the Tyson I has been watching for years. Watch his early fights, the watch all his fights after that loss. Even though he has won fights since losing his title, he is not the same fighter. Noticably missing is his head movement, and I haven't seen it since. Whatever the argument, I still say Tyson was the best of his time. His time was over in 1990. I think some of us keep hoping somehow he could have brought back the magic he had as a 20 yr old, and its just not going to happen. I am content to know all I have to do is hook up my Betamax, and I can see his history again.

JPaul
06-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Watch his early fights, the watch all his fights after that loss. Even though he has won fights since losing his title, he is not the same fighter. Noticably missing is his head movement, and I haven't seen it since. Whatever the argument, I still say Tyson was the best of his time. His time was over in 1990.

I agree, but at his prime he was fighting nobodies, including Douglas.

His career was quite properly managed, so that he would fight people he would beat easily and he would build a reputation. That is done with all good fighters nowadays.

He also gave up a world title rather than fight Lennox Lewis.

Was Mike tyson, in his prime, the best of his era. Most Probably

Was he one of the greatest heavyweights. No, but he might have been, we will never know.

Was he second only to Ali, there is a power of evidence to the contrary and little to support it.

JPaul
06-20-2005, 07:14 PM

or

Of course it's an opinion, everyone involved in this type of discussion is expressing an opinion.

However some people can provide evidence to support their opinion. They have something to base it on. Statistics > Adrenaline Rush as evidence.

Busyman
06-20-2005, 07:23 PM

or

Comparing fighters of different era's is just about as smart as comparing baseball players of different era's ( not smart at all :P ) Things change with the time.

What I can say is that I have seen every one of Tysons fights as a proffesional, and up to the Buster Douglas Fight, I honestly don't believe there was anyone better. However, what ever happened before his first loss remains to be seen, but the Tyson who stepped into the ring that night was not the Tyson I has been watching for years. Watch his early fights, the watch all his fights after that loss. Even though he has won fights since losing his title, he is not the same fighter. Noticably missing is his head movement, and I haven't seen it since. Whatever the argument, I still say Tyson was the best of his time. His time was over in 1990. I think some of us keep hoping somehow he could have brought back the magic he had as a 20 yr old, and its just not going to happen. I am content to know all I have to do is hook up my Betamax, and I can see his history again.
Why did Mike go away from "peek-a-boo" anyway? :angry:

Busyman
06-20-2005, 07:24 PM

or

Of course it's an opinion, everyone involved in this type of discussion is expressing an opinion.

However some people can provide evidence to support their opinion. They have something to base it on. Statistics > Adrenaline Rush as evidence.
I guess if I don't back it up, Deletion IKE will evaporate my posts. :unsure:

JPaul
06-20-2005, 07:32 PM

It's distinctly possible. :ph34r:

Any post of an opinion, not supported by a sufficiency of evidence is subject to possible deletion. Depending on whether it agrees with the views of The Team.

Busyman
06-20-2005, 08:00 PM

Any post of an opinion, not supported by a sufficiency of evidence is subject to possible deletion. Depending on whether it agrees with the views of The Team.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ruwel 25

JPaul
06-20-2005, 08:09 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ruwel 25
First Ruwel of FST, there is no FST.

Bye, Bye Post - it was good knowing ewe.

RPerry
06-20-2005, 08:10 PM

or

Ahh You realize it now too ? Don't have an answer. Poor management / training most likely. Wonder if Tyson himself has noticed ? :rolleyes:

Busyman
06-20-2005, 08:15 PM

Ahh You realize it now too ? Don't have an answer. Poor management / training most likely. Wonder if Tyson himself has noticed ? :rolleyes:
His upper body movement in the style with him coming at an opponent made it almost impossible to get hit.

Now he just stands there and takes the punches.

His early fights were a thing of beauty. I remember him when I wasn't really intimidated his opponent but they still couldn't beat him.