PDA

View Full Version : Two more Resident Evil movies planned

99%
06-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Two more Resident Evil movies planned
German production company planning fourth film before third even begins production; Milla Jovovich to reprise role.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/13/news_6127452.html
When the eponymous first film based on Capcom's Resident Evil games hit theaters in 2002, it was a moderate success. Though largely panned by critics, the medium-budget sci-fi horror thriller did well at the box office, earning under $40 million. Its sequel, 2004's Resident Evil: Apocalypse, did even better, pulling in just over $50 million.

Hoping to wring more money from the franchise---the second-highest-earning game-based film series, after Tomb Raider--the production company behind the Resident Evil films has plans for two more. Today's Hollywood Reporter reports that Germany-based Constantin Film AG is already laying the groundwork for a fourth Resident Evil movie. Little is known about the film other than it will take place in Tokyo and it will be shot on location in Japan.

The move is surprising, given that shooting hasn't begun on the third chapter in the series, currently titled Resident Evil: Afterlife. Indeed, according to the reporter, Afterlife is in the midst of a shake-up, with the recent announcement that production is moving to Australia.

No director has signed onto Afterlife, which is based on a script written by British director Paul W. S. Anderson (Mortal Kombat, Alien vs. Predator), who directed the first Resident Evil. Though she hasn't signed a contract yet, Anderson's wife, supermodel-actress Milla Jovovich, is reportedly set to reprise her role as Alice, the series' gun-toting heroine.

In the first Resident Evil, Alice fought her way out of the zombie-infested labs of the Umbrella Corporation, only to have to cope with a ghoul-overrun metropolis in Apocalypse. Afterlife will follow her into the Southwestern American desert (played by the Aussie outback), where Alice will blast still more chemically animated undead before fleeing the continent. It is tentatively set for a release sometime in 2006.

The latest chapter in the Resident Evil game series, Resident Evil 4, is one of the highest-rated titles currently available for the GameCube. A PlayStation 2 version is due out later in the year.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
POSTED: 06/13/05 05:54 PM PST

#1 Posted by Valkyre on 14 Jun 2005 - 20:13 Quote this comment Reply to this comment
Dear god, make it stop.

#2 Posted by icecaveman on 14 Jun 2005 - 20:20 Quote this comment Reply to this comment
Damn you you make it harder for movies like Halo and hopefully DeusEx to gain respect when they'll be released.

#3 Posted by obake on 14 Jun 2005 - 20:23 Quote this comment Reply to this comment
Oh God, why? Why?

#4 Posted by Unwonted on 14 Jun 2005 - 20:29 (1 reply) Quote this comment Reply to this comment
How do plotless stories get three movies, and games with incredible stories (like Planescape: Torment, Thief, Halo) Hollywood ignores more than Pauly Shore?

#4.1 Reply by L3onheart on 14 Jun 2005 - 20:44 Quote this comment
Halo with an incredible story? Yeah right...

Reply to this comment

#5 Posted by terryb on 14 Jun 2005 - 20:57 Quote this comment Reply to this comment
not the best movies ever made but i enjoy them so this is all good

#6 Posted by CrazyDelta on 14 Jun 2005 - 21:02 Quote this comment Reply to this comment
I actually still enjoy Resident Evil 1. And then I was looking forward to Resident Evil 2. I was hoping for it to be something like Dawn of the Dead, except set in the city, and with a few more guns. Except it turned out so bad, that I almost puked watching it. No it wasn't because of any gore, it was just that BAD!

Now, unless they want to redeem their mistake from the second film, they shouldn't even bother.

I am just happily waiting for Land of the Dead.

That's that.

#7 Posted by AsciiSmoke on 14 Jun 2005 - 21:42 Quote this comment Reply to this comment
There's so many bad movies made, it wont hurt to make more of these. Yeah, they're pretty naff, but I like naff monster movies.

#8 Posted by AethylFilth on 14 Jun 2005 - 21:47 Quote this comment Reply to this comment
It's just depressing because they COULD have been awesome.
With all the crappy nu-metal soundtracks and flashy "futuristic" weapons and backdrops, not to mention terrible scripts, it just turned into an all out crapfest. They took too much from action movies and not enough from zombie movies.

maebach
06-14-2005, 07:06 PM
i never watch horror movies, but i enjoyed resident evil4. one of the best. i dont think they should continue the movies

Busyman
06-14-2005, 08:24 PM
RE2 did get teh ball suck.

The reason many of these movies suck is because they stray from the games story.

Make RE4 a movie (even though I feel it (locale and people) was ripped off of GymKata).