PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody actually "buy" music anymore?

ejoeyb
06-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Does anybody actually "buy" music anymore?

I know this is a file "sharing" forum but I'd really like to know?

mainly... because I'm a musician.

muchspl3
06-14-2005, 08:09 PM
to be honest, no

but I goto about 10 concert's a year and always by merch so I feel I do more than most..

4play
06-14-2005, 08:24 PM
I go to lots of concerts and normally buy cds of bands i really like. otherwise its a luxury and the mp3s will have to do.

lee551
06-14-2005, 09:17 PM
if i want a band to continue making music i support them heavily. i buy cds and *lots* of t-shirts. :cool2:

micolithe
06-14-2005, 09:57 PM
I buy some CDs, but not all of them. For an even remotely broad selection I have to drive half an hour to the FYE in Rockaway. And even then, it's not even a good selection.

Adster
06-14-2005, 10:15 PM
no its been a good 4 years

$30 for a CD???

well its just too much

99%
06-14-2005, 10:23 PM
http://www.cuttytv.com/Health_tips/Wrong2/nope.GIF

micolithe
06-14-2005, 10:44 PM
Where are YOU buying your CDs? CDs are like 7 bucks for brand new ones at Target.

Formula1
06-14-2005, 10:59 PM
No i dont buy music cds, and i have never looked into buying music cd's ever..

S!X
06-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Ive bought like 2 cds in the past 5 years. I cant afford.

leeferdude
06-15-2005, 12:43 AM
I buy them occasionally. Usually from bands I choose to support.

ahctlucabbuS
06-15-2005, 01:37 AM
I don't buy much these days, though I've thought about freshing up my record "collection".

I do however go to the odd concert, and I'm off to two festivals this year so support of the bands should be plentiful this summer.

And yes, I would buy more records if it were not for the prices (beeing a student).

Monkeee
06-15-2005, 01:58 AM
only buy albums that deserve to be bought :D

maebach
06-15-2005, 02:38 AM
last one was elvis. about four years ago

ejoeyb
06-15-2005, 03:30 AM
I'm glad you guys are giving me feedback.
As a musician, I sometimes get down about the current state of the music industry, especially the whole file "sharing" thing. The funny thing is that I actually think it does more good than bad. I do believe it turns a lot of people on to great musc they might not otherwise come across...

I once read where Neil Peart of Rush mentioned how
"most musicians have to be a bit nuts to do what they do... try to find anyone who would spend their ENTIRE life to learn and perfect a skill in order to MAYBE make a living. A doctor at MOST might spend 8 or 10 years to educate themselves"
Sounds nuts doesn't it

I also have a good friend who has always said... "Don't worry... Nothing will ever replace live music... that's what it's really all about"

It's great to see that this is totally true and that you guys support the bands you really love...

Keep On Keepin' On

Keep the replies coming
I want to know what you think

erRor67
06-15-2005, 03:38 AM
If i like the music, I'll buy it. I dont mind paying for music.

S!X
06-15-2005, 05:25 AM
only buy albums that deserve to be bought :D

Of course. Why would you buy it just cuz its there?

Skiz
06-15-2005, 05:30 AM
I haven't actually bought a cd in about five or six years.

abu_has_the_power
06-15-2005, 05:35 AM
hell no. the last cd i bought was limp bizkit Significant Other. and that was in like 1999 when i got my 1st cd player. 6 years baby. whoooooo!

Kickbutt424
06-15-2005, 06:03 AM
CD's here are $30 as well. It's just too much, especially when I might only like 1/3 of the songs on it.

I do, however, buy CD's to support artists who I particularly respect and like.

Lilmiss
06-15-2005, 09:06 PM
I like to own the originals of my favourite bands and artists.
I was collecting all of NOFX releases on vinyl and cd, but there is far too many ep's and stuff for me to be able to afford the entire collection at the moment.

Generally, I go for a few months without buying any, then order a bulk online.
It saves on p+p, and I feel I'm doing my part for the bands who deserve support.

ashen3
06-17-2005, 10:08 PM
I only buy music from a Band which Truly deserves the Money spent on them

madden player
06-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Yes.

I buy music all the time.

I'll spend $40+ CND on imports for a single track. :cool:

brotherdoobie
06-18-2005, 10:39 PM
I have been collecting music since the age of ten...between my brother and I
we have over 600 cd's cassetes,lp's even a few 8 tracks. (thats not counting my collection of burnt music.

I don't buy as often anymore... Iv'e ben raped by the music industry
for long enough...now who's fucking who?;)

Peace bd

Bodom
06-18-2005, 10:44 PM
im a musician too..when i was touring a lot of people would come up and say they liked the Cd..I'd ask if they bought it, and they all said they Dloaded it. They had a guilty look in their eyes, but I told them I didn't care as long as they liked the music and paid to see us play...supported us..etc i was fine w/ it.

daxianne
06-19-2005, 01:05 AM
I only buy music from a Band which Truly deserves the Money spent on them

Same here....that or spend a whole bunch of money on concerts and band merchandise :)

MagicNakor
06-19-2005, 02:19 PM
If I feel it's worth paying the money, yes. Otherwise no, I'm not going to pay $20-30 for two tracks.

:shuriken:

Adster
06-19-2005, 02:40 PM
heres the thing you buy some hardware read a review and its shit you hate it but guess what you paid for it already no getting your money back !! in the past it was like that with albums you bought it for $30 or $9 for a single!!! it was disappointing and there goes your cash..

now you have the choose of downloading for free love it then buy it or download it hate it then delete it.. you see a lot of good comes out of it... word of mouth 75% of stuff I have I wouldn't have heard of if it wasn';t for file sharing

now think of this an artist probaly only gets $2 out of that $20 to $30 I pay for a CD wheres teh ret go?? to the music industry there the ones whos getting the shits there the ones losing out.

as a musican myself I personaly would rather be famous have people talk about my music how good I perform, am i good at guitar singing ect adn get the good word of mouth and have people come and see me and make some cash on the side.. why>???? well when your famous P2P won't effect you anyway and when your not famous?? p2p wont effect you either then too... you just have to get famous

its about music not money!! but it todays fucked up socity it seems that thing called money is life until your death

bigboab
06-19-2005, 07:47 PM
heres the thing you buy some hardware read a review and its shit you hate it but guess what you paid for it already no getting your money back !! in the past it was like that with albums you bought it for $30 or $9 for a single!!! it was disappointing and there goes your cash..

now you have the choose of downloading for free love it then buy it or download it hate it then delete it.. you see a lot of good comes out of it... word of mouth 75% of stuff I have I wouldn't have heard of if it wasn';t for file sharing

now think of this an artist probaly only gets $2 out of that $20 to $30 I pay for a CD wheres teh ret go?? to the music industry there the ones whos getting the shits there the ones losing out.

as a musican myself I personaly would rather be famous have people talk about my music how good I perform, am i good at guitar singing ect adn get the good word of mouth and have people come and see me and make some cash on the side.. why>???? well when your famous P2P won't effect you anyway and when your not famous?? p2p wont effect you either then too... you just have to get famous

its about music not money!! but it todays fucked up socity it seems that thing called money is life until your death

In my opinion the good artists gain something out of the free downloading. If they become really popular then there is a bigger demand to see them live.:) Then, generally, that is where you separate the men from the boys. if they cant perform then they wont get many more gigs.

Smith
06-20-2005, 03:40 AM
I have not bought a cd in over 2 years.

Orange_Boy
06-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Not much anymore.. but i go to the metal music festivals alot so theres my support. I probably buy 10 or less cd's per year.

soopaman
07-14-2005, 01:33 PM
"Does anybody actually "buy" music anymore?"

Yes, all the time.

Celerystalksme
07-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Brought 4 CD's last week.

Alkaline Trio - Crimson
Johnny Cash - Ring Of Fire
Toto - Best Of
Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed In Deep COnversation

Afronaut
07-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Hell yeah.

Nothin beats teh CD. Quality man, quality.

:D

Goldy Vercetti
07-15-2005, 03:23 PM
download first, if i like it, then buy a cd

masta.z
07-16-2005, 06:33 AM

$2 outa $20??? BS it's more like $0.02 than $2 with all the big-name labels such as sony, etc... mebbe on some of the lesser labels such as fat wrech-chords (a great label btw) do the artists get a decent share of the cd sales but the large record labels pay their "artists" (some of whom have less than no talent) absolutelly fuck all... the only way those artists make money is from tours/merch at tours or endorsements by companies such as pepsi etc...

as for whether i buy cd's or not i do occasionally when i can a) afford them and b) if they have special-edition stuff (bonus dvd, etc) but other than that i'd rather spend money on going to the live shows and supporting the artists and not the corporate labels that have more money than anyone needs... now all i need is for me to have money and decent artists to come to ottawa (grrenday's f****n sold out already :( )

Grisbi
08-05-2005, 11:04 PM
I buy at least 2 CD's a month. It's an addiction.

twotonescrotum
08-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Occasionally. If I have some extra $$$ lying around or if its a album where the sound quality really matters, something like Mogwai or Sigur Ros...

Alien5
08-15-2005, 08:42 AM
i havent bought a cd for months, the last one i bought was from a bargain bucket, you can find somethings you wont find anywhere else.

pusher
08-16-2005, 01:10 AM
I still buy CDs but not very often. The last disc I bought was Brian Eno's Apollo.

Celerystalksme
08-16-2005, 02:45 AM
I finally got my copy of Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies imported in (that i ordered 2 months ago). Thats the only CD i've brought since having the net back.

Vorbis
08-17-2005, 02:06 AM
i still buy lots of cd's and go as many concerts as posible just love music

rnichilo
08-17-2005, 10:00 PM
i buy CDs at hardcore and metal shows, but those arent sold in stores any way.

cpt_azad
08-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Yes, if I want my fav. band to continue making music I have to contribute. And for those people that kept saying can't afford it, get a fucking job losers :dry: (that's you LP).

Off the record here a bit, but is anyone going to the upcoming System Of A Down tour? They hit Vancouver on sept. 17th, tickets didnt cost as much as I thought they would :D

reallyRandy
08-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Yes.

ModestoMouse
08-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Music used to be an art form. When you support the music "INDUSTRY" by buying records from major labels you're telling them that you want to hear the same Lindsey Lohan, AudioSlave, Jack Jhonson [fill in the blank], played every half hour add nauseum on the radio. :sick: Let music return to the art form it was meant to be

Bands rarley see profits from record sales unless there record sells like 100,000 copies. They get a signing deal, and than earn a living by touring. Support bands you like by going to the shows. Support you're local music and independant music scene. Turn the radio off!

Isac Brock says Download, download, download. Except for my CD, though cause it's time for me to cash in! I really need a new mansion.