PDA

View Full Version : IE7 to be more secure ?

peat moss
06-14-2005, 11:20 PM
The next version of Microsoft's much criticized Internet Explorer browser is being built to resist hijacking attempts by spyware and other malicious software, according to a Microsoft developer.

Rob Franco, lead program manager for IE Security at Microsoft, wrote in a blog entry on Thursday that Internet Explorer 7 for Longhorn will contain a feature called "low rights IE." The feature essentially removes administrator rights, so that the system will not allow unknown applications, such as spyware and other potentially dangerous code, to be installed without express permission from the user.

Link: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5745044.html

Too little too late me thinks ! :)

Izagaia
06-14-2005, 11:43 PM
It is like any other topic of considerable controversy, debate or interest... unless there is a general concern or outcry for change, it will otherwise fly "under the radar".

The change in Microsoft's critically acclaimed web browser is merely another sign of the times.

However, this being good news of course. :D

peat moss
06-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Ya bud its like Symantec 's news today . Same thing , Intrusion-Prevention ?
Sounds interesting . I think its just for Enterprise or corp versions tho. :unsure:

http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=164302702

4play
06-15-2005, 12:00 AM
ids has long been avaialable try something like snort http://www.snort.org/

Izagaia
06-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Very high-end enterprise products, I would wager. What they fail to mention is whether this technology will be inclusive of their software-based firewalls or if it will be incorporated into their hardware networking component lines.

Izzy's guess is that we will likely first encounter this within a future version of their Enterprise Firewall and VPN software. Maybe perhaps later see it trickle down to their Client Firewall and Norton home user products. Hopefully.

maebach
06-15-2005, 02:35 AM
it won't work, microsoft needs anything to help raise their stocks. they've fell like mad after halo 2

harrycary
06-15-2005, 03:40 AM
While advancements on security for IE are great, if IE is tied to the Windows O/S, then it will always be more vulnerable then 3rd party browsers.

Sadly, because of this, you must keep IE updated even when using 3rd party browsers.

Busyman
06-15-2005, 04:38 AM
Sadly, because of this, you must keep IE updated even when using 3rd party browsers.
Very good point. ;)

4play
06-15-2005, 09:29 AM
I like this low rights idea. everyone i know has to run windows as admin since its impossible to use otherwise. of course there is always the run as feature but that requires knowledge of the command line to really get working.

this seems like the only reason to upgrade to longhorn as any other interesting technology is slowly being pushed back so it will not be included in longhorn.
winfs, monad(there new command line to compete with bash) will all be left out.