PDA

View Full Version : 2 fax on one line

keyser_soze
06-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Is this possible? I have 2 fax machines at work in two seperate offices both on the same phone number, mine can send and recieve fax but the other when they try to send it comes to my machine any suggestions?

lynx
06-17-2005, 02:59 PM
It may be possible, but it depends on the fax machine.

Obviously you need one machine to be in answer mode in order to be able to receive a fax. However, if it sees a fax signal on the line when it is not sending it assumes there's an incoming fax. So the trick is to prevent it seeing this signal.

The usual way to change this is to increase the number of rings before your fax machine answers. I suspect that it is currently set to answer on the first ring. This often means that any activity on the line immediately causes the machine to "answer". By setting a higher number the machine may realise that it isn't an incoming call.

You can even get different fax machines to answer by using an option called "distinctive ring" - you get your telecom provider to assign more than one number to the same line but each has a different ring pattern. With a suitable fax machine you can then teach the fax machine to answer only on it's own ring pattern. BT call it "Call Sign", I think it costs about a £1.75 a month for each additional number.

If you've got that facility on your fax machine you could use it to stop it answering when there's an outgoing fax from the other machine, even if you don't have the "distinctive ring" facility.

keyser_soze
06-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Cheers m8 I'll take a look at it monday morning thanks for the info :cool:

clocker
06-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Geez Lynx, you're really dating yourself here....expertise with fax machines?

How good are you with typewriters?
My Underwood has a sticky key....

lynx
06-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Geez Lynx, you're really dating yourself here....expertise with fax machines?

How good are you with typewriters?
My Underwood has a sticky key....
Fax machines aren't much more than modems with scanner and printer attached.

For your Underwood, I doubt that even your nearest Olivetti service centre can help you.
Maybe this (http://staff.xu.edu/~polt/typewriters/tw-repair.html) will help you find someone local. :P

clocker
06-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Perfect.
Just the resource I needed.
As soon as the wheelwright repairs my carriage I'm gonna toddle down to town.

Being an Amish computer fiend is more difficult than you know.

keyser_soze
06-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Yerr LYNX is the daddy on all things low voltage :cool:

lynx
06-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Yerr LYNX is the daddy on all things low voltage :cool:http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/aliens/hae18.gif