PDA

View Full Version : Defragmenting question

Smith
06-18-2005, 10:29 PM
How long should it take to defrag a HD that is 80gb and only has half of it used up? I know defragmenting takes time, but its been at 1% for about 3 hours. Is this normal? Should i use something besides the windows tool?

Also, should i press analyze first and then defrag from there, or just press defrag from the start?
thanks

keyser_soze
06-18-2005, 10:33 PM
The length of time it takes has a lot of factors, how fragmented it is size of hard drive......but that seems to be a long to to defrag are you sure no other progs are working in the background? Some running programs can make changes to your hd which causes disc defrag to restart, also screen savers can can make defrag stop, download something like enditall 2 or pm for it which kills all apps running in the background and quits your screensaver or do it maunally by shutting down apps u dont need running.

S!X
06-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Well lets put it this way, If you havent done it for a good while, Its gonna take a good while.

mike45450
06-18-2005, 10:52 PM
The last time i did it (which was pretty much when i hadn't defragged it in ages) with my 80gb HD and about 15gb left or something it took about 6 hours. I defragged in safe mode though, as i've heard this takes less time.

As for additional software, Diskeeper (http://www.executive.com/coverpage.asp) is very good. It does other stuff like analyse just how fragmented the files on your HD are, gives hints to improve overall performance and other neat stuff.

tesco
06-18-2005, 11:17 PM
The windows one always used to take WAYYYYY longer than it should.
Have you tried diskeeper?

peat moss
06-18-2005, 11:20 PM
The last time i did it (which was pretty much when i hadn't defragged it in ages) with my 80gb HD and about 15gb left or something it took about 6 hours. I defragged in safe mode though, as i've heard this takes less time.

As for additional software, Diskeeper (http://www.executive.com/coverpage.asp) is very good. It does other stuff like analyse just how fragmented the files on your HD are, gives hints to improve overall performance and other neat stuff.

Ya Mike Diskeeper pro is fast takes less than two minutes on my 60 GB . I use the set and forget feature, defrags evertime the screen saver kicks in. I don't even think about anymore unless I install a program then defrag after. :)

Edit : Heres a link from the verifieds , you need e-mule or a like p2p program tho.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t95156.html

S!X
06-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Ive noticed that the default defrag app is horrible. Diskeeper pro is definately the way to go.

peat moss
06-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Ive noticed that the default defrag app is horrible. Diskeeper pro is definately the way to go.

Ya funny because the win xp one is by Executive Software too . :lol:

~syrup~
06-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Try PerfectDisk 7.0 - it gives very good defragmentation and it works fast.

tesco
06-18-2005, 11:52 PM

Ya funny because the win xp one is by Executive Software too . :lol:
yeah but horribly out of date. :)

Smith
06-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Alrite thanks for the tip guys. I downloaded diskeeper and it seems to be working nicely. Its been about an hour and its already 65% done. I have never defraged my HD so i guess it should help. It says my computer is taking 30.2 times longer to load stuff then it should, so does this mean when its done my games should load a shite load faster?

Another question, everytime i format does that cancel out the need to defrag? or does it still need to be defraged after format?

It looks like a good program, to bad its only a 30 day trial , could anyone help me out with that? :rolleyes:
thanks

tesco
06-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Alrite thanks for the tip guys. I downloaded diskeeper and it seems to be working nicely. Its been about an hour and its already 65% done. I have never defraged my HD so i guess it should help. It says my computer is taking 30.2 times longer to load stuff then it should, so does this mean when its done my games should load a shite load faster?

Another question, everytime i format does that cancel out the need to defrag? or does it still need to be defraged after format?

It looks like a good program, to bad its only a 30 day trial , could anyone help me out with that? :rolleyes:
thanks
Well once you've installed windows, other programs, etc. the drive will become fragmented again.

But yes the drive does lose the fragmentation when it's formatted...after all, all data will be gone from it. :P

mike45450
06-19-2005, 04:24 PM
I have a question: When is it not good to defrag, in terms of space left?

Right now, i have about 5gb left, and i wanna defrag, but apparently it's good to have at least 15%, so i'd need at least 12gb free, and i just can't be arsed to go through and burn stuff/delete stuff

tesco
06-19-2005, 04:27 PM
I have a question: When is it not good to defrag, in terms of space left?

Right now, i have about 5gb left, and i wanna defrag, but apparently it's good to have at least 15%, so i'd need at least 12gb free, and i just can't be arsed to go through and burn stuff/delete stuff
It wll still defragment fine.
If you have any files with a size greater than your space lef tit wont defrag those properly

dantepedante
06-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Sometimes it stays at low percentages for a while, and then climbs. As another post said, kill the screensavers because it might be interfering, also use CTrl +Alt+Del (on Win XP) to call task manager and eliminate the most tasks you can. With 40 Gb, it usually takes me 8 hours to defrag.