PDA

View Full Version : I found me a new home

newcster68
06-19-2005, 04:54 AM
WOW! Reality tried to get me to switch to newsgroups for the latest releases. I always just passed it up cause I was so used to using bittorrent or IRC. I just followed his step by step tutorial and have everything set up and downloading right now at amazing speeds.

Thanku Reality for opening my eyes up.. :w00t: :P :naughty: :01:

RealitY
06-19-2005, 05:49 AM
Glad to see you aboard and hopefully you can use the Submit An NZB function we have here also.
It would be nice to have you active around these parts...

:) :)

maebach
06-19-2005, 08:21 PM
thats kool, newcster68. your an inspiration :D . im gonna try. :)

tkpro
06-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Newsgroups is the only way to go...........
Best speeds Ive ever got 948kb down

AcousticBoarder
06-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Good to hear =D ... Newsgroups require your isp having such a service right?
Am with BT UK and as far as I know, I'm not permitted access to these here parts. :p

{I}{K}{E}
06-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Good to hear =D ... Newsgroups require your isp having such a service right?
Am with BT UK and as far as I know, I'm not permitted access to these here parts. :p

no you can use any server. but good servers costs monthly ~10 bucks

AcousticBoarder
06-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Cheers IKE, I've read Realitys Guide (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=69159) on newsgroups along with the basics covered in the guides he mentioned. Without going to far off topic, would you be kind enough as to answer these few questions on newgroups:

* Why are people so open about it? - The download of copyrighted files is illegal, in which case why are there guides and so on, along with services providing the service. I'm guessing it's because it's primarily a news service right?

* Join Newshosting and I'm set? - Once I join newshosting ( I'm aware there's other companies ), I can use a newsgroup search site and immediatly get to downloading? )

Edit: Just signed up using the forums refferal link, does that warrant me premnium support from you guys? :p

{I}{K}{E}
06-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Cheers IKE, I've read Realitys Guide (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=69159) on newsgroups along with the basics covered in the guides he mentioned. Without going to far off topic, would you be kind enough as to answer these few questions on newgroups:

* Why are people so open about it? - The download of copyrighted files is illegal, in which case why are there guides and so on, along with services providing the service. I'm guessing it's because it's primarily a news service right?

* Join Newshosting and I'm set? - Once I join newshosting ( I'm aware there's other companies ), I can use a newsgroup search site and immediatly get to downloading? )

Edit: Just signed up using the forums refferal link, does that warrant me premnium support from you guys? :p

Posting how you should download stuff off usenet is not illegal.
Downloading movies here in the Netherlands is also legal :P

Yes, when you got your account name and password you can start downloading. make sure you use an 'unlimited' account (and not one where you pay per GB)

and thank you for using our refferal link ;)

AcousticBoarder
06-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Excellent stuff, thanks IKE .. have got it set up and am download a file in 16 parts ( currently have 4 parts downloading ). All seems to be going well.

Am using Gabit, with 4 items on the go as said, with Gabit going through each in turn downloading an 'article'. Am keeping an eye on the download speed, which is maxing out ( 2mb = 250kb/s as far as I remember ), but going down to 0 and back up repeatedly every 10 seconds or so .. is this normal?

{I}{K}{E}
06-20-2005, 01:14 PM
Excellent stuff, thanks IKE .. have got it set up and am download a file in 16 parts ( currently have 4 parts downloading ). All seems to be going well.

Am using Gabit, with 4 items on the go as said, with Gabit going through each in turn downloading an 'article'. Am keeping an eye on the download speed, which is maxing out ( 2mb = 250kb/s as far as I remember ), but going down to 0 and back up repeatedly every 10 seconds or so .. is this normal?

Is your internet speed dropping or is it because grabit finished downloading a 'part' (every file has multiple parts)?

you should try newsleecher. (I can send you version 1 if you want :naughty: ) Newsleecher is much better then grabit.

AcousticBoarder
06-20-2005, 01:18 PM
How would I know mate? I have the same 4 'files' (6/14) being one of them for example downloading, though the speed continulousy drops out, they're 50mb each .. unless your talking of each individual article within each .rar?

( as you can see I'm pretty lost :p )

{I}{K}{E}
06-20-2005, 01:40 PM
How would I know mate? I have the same 4 'files' (6/14) being one of them for example downloading, though the speed continulousy drops out, they're 50mb each .. unless your talking of each individual article within each .rar?

( as you can see I'm pretty lost :p )

do you have DU meter or Netlimiter installed? this way you can see if you speed really drops.

http://www.shemes.com/images/screenshots/screenshot5.jpg

Is that bandwidth meter dropping? (with the purple color under time remaining)

AcousticBoarder
06-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Yes, the purple 'block' is filled with vertical thin white lines where the speed is dropping out. Would you mind telling me where I can get Newsleecher and wether or not that could solve the problem?

{I}{K}{E}
06-20-2005, 09:24 PM
enable PM ;)

check if you can download from other sources with a constant speed. check your PC for spy-adware.

AcousticBoarder
06-20-2005, 10:53 PM
PMs enabled .. not sure why they was changed, possibly due to my shocking popularity of yesteryear :p

Currently using alt.binaries as my download source, downloading through browsers mantains speed, what advantages does newsleecher have over Gabit mate?

( and is it also a better? )

RealitY
06-21-2005, 12:31 AM
The fact is GrabIt is a great app to start with Usenet and is freeware also.
Although Newsleecher is just a much better client overall...

brotherdoobie
06-21-2005, 04:44 AM
WOW! Reality tried to get me to switch to newsgroups for the latest releases. I always just passed it up cause I was so used to using bittorrent or IRC. I just followed his step by step tutorial and have everything set up and downloading right now at amazing speeds.

Thanku Reality for opening my eyes up.. :w00t: :P :naughty: :01:

It's good to see a convert. I've been using Newsgroups forever,and I often wonder why everyone dosen't.

Peace bd