zacspeed
06-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Anyone see the US Grand Prix?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4109556.stm

Cheers FIA!

I'll give it 2 more years :(

manker
06-19-2005, 08:50 PM
I read that Ferrari were also to blame, they decided not to approve a change to the track to improve it's safety because it was only unsafe for teams who used Michelin tyres - so it couldn't have been avoided anyway.

Altho' Michelin did say that they'd fly in different tyres for their teams - the FIA sniffily told them that it was against the rules for them to do so :snooty:

enoughfakefiles
06-19-2005, 09:33 PM
I read that Ferrari were also to blame, they decided not to approve a change to the track to improve it's safety because it was only unsafe for teams who used Michelin tyres - so it couldn't have been avoided anyway.

Altho' Michelin did say that they'd fly in different tyres for their teams - the FIA sniffily told them that it was against the rules for them to do so :snooty:

Ferrari had to get some points somehow. :lol:

/edit the crowd wasn`t happy as well throwing beer cans on the track. :ph34r:

{I}{K}{E}
06-19-2005, 09:48 PM
5 Christijan Albers :01: :lol:

I think lots of people are pissed now.. buying a ticket for +200 euro and see only 6 cars race :wacko:

Barbarossa
06-20-2005, 08:53 AM
For a sport that is already perceived as being shit in the US, this isn't going to do it any favours... What a load of crap!

lynx
06-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Many people have been blaming Ferrari, but the FIA had already ruled out a track change.

There had been absolutely no practising on a modified track. If the FIA had allowed that change and someone was subsequently killed or injured the FIA would have been held responsible. That was not a position they could entertain for one second.

Charlie Whiting made it as clear as he could (the final decision was up to the stewards) that the teams would not be excluded if Michelin provided the "Barcelona" tyres, but equally implied there would be some penalty to prevent the use of "practise" tyres in the future. I imagine that would mean a drop of 10 grid positions for the next race or some similar punishment, but since that would apply to 14 cars it wouldn't be as bad as that implies.

The ITV-F1 web pages held a poll about what people thought should happen - the chicane got about 7% with the Barcelona tyres option leading with about 40% - I can't remember the other options. When they realised this was going against what their commentators were saying they pulled the poll - cowards.

sArA
06-20-2005, 10:54 AM
The whole thing was a complete farce.....the new tyres rule is a safety issue and quite ridiculous....and as for Bernie Ecclestone.....what a jumped up nob...his wife is clearly there for the money, she is tall and beautiful and he is short and ugly. (miaow....sorry guys...felt like having a bit of a bitch as he is spoiling F1 for his own petty purposes, nothing to do with racing)

GepperRankins
06-20-2005, 12:25 PM
the chicane wouldn't have gone down well with american audiences anyway. what with their fear of corners and all :snooty:

Guillaume
06-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Bah. F1 has been dying slowly since the day Senna hit that wall in San Marino. :(

lynx
06-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Bah. F1 has been dying slowly since the day Senna hit that wall in San Marino. :(When asked if it was a bad time for F1, Schumacker said 1994 was what he would describe as a bad time. :(

Even so, we are still going to blame the French tyre makers. :shifty:

Guillaume
06-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Even so, we are still going to blame the French tyre makers. :shifty:

How convenient for the FIA. Every decision they've taken in the past ten years has proved piss-poor and yet they still don't get the message.

And maybe French tires are bad but we know how to spell the actual word, you mod.

lynx
06-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Michelin came up with a suggestion which they knew would not be acceptable, and when the obvious happened they used that as an excuse to blame the FIA. It seems they learnt that lesson from Chirac.

There's only one guilty party, and that's the people who brought the wrong tyres. Bridgestone had an alternative, faster tyre, but they didn't bring it because of the potential problem like they had at Barcelona. I don't remember the Michelin teams suggesting they should make things easier for Bridgestone at Barcelona.

And I'm quite aware how to spell tyre, it is an English word, not some strange American variant. :P

Chewie
06-20-2005, 07:35 PM
...and as for Bernie Ecclestone.....what a jumped up nob...his wife is clearly there for the money, she is tall and beautiful and he is short and ugly. (miaow....sorry guys...felt like having a bit of a bitch as he is spoiling F1 for his own petty purposes, nothing to do with racing)
I'm amazed you appear to have just realised this!
Those of us that can remember Jackie Stewart behind the wheel have known about it for aeons.

JPaul
06-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Formual 1 is dead in the USA. So feck it was never alive.

It does well enough elsewhere in the world to probably survive. The American audience seems to prefer oval racing anyway, so F1 was fighting a losing battle. I can see why they would want to open the market, it's huge, but they can survive without it.

From what I can see there are no shortage of countries who want to hold a race, no shortage of sponsors who want to be involved and no shortage of manufacturers who want to compete.

I think F1 will survive this debacle (is that the proper spelling, Guillaume)

Busyman
06-20-2005, 08:11 PM
F1 > NASCAR

I can't stand oval racing. :snooty:

Rat Faced
06-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Would have been still funnier with just the 2 cars racing though...

I'll get me coat

manker
06-29-2005, 01:46 PM
The FIA have decided that it's the teams fault and, accordingly, charged them with bringing F1 into disrepute.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4631523.stm

Seems a tad harsh but it's far to boring a sport for me to waste much thought on.