PDA

View Full Version : VideoLAN might disappear due to patent legislation

Peerzy
06-21-2005, 08:54 AM
For those that don't know VLC..
VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

They have rightly earned great respect and appreciation for providing a FREE media player that is widly regarded as the best media player availble. This is due to it's flexibilty and plathora of hi-end options (it's the only media player i know of that you can load rars into and view them for starters) To hear what is being forced upon them is not good. They have given their product for free all this time and now they need OUR help. Please take the time and support them in their hour of need.
The following is taken from the VLC website...

"The end draws near...

VideoLAN is seriously threatened by software patents due to the numerous patented techniques it implements and uses. Also threatened are the many libraries and projects which VLC is built upon, like FFmpeg, and the other fellow Free And Open Source software multimedia players, which include MPlayer, xine, Freevo, MythTV, gstreamer.

Multimedia is a patent minefield. All important techniques and formats are covered by broad and trivial patents that are harming progress and alternative implementations, such as free software multimedia players.

The European commission has just passed its directive on software patents, violating democratic rules and procedures to the sole benefit of big non-European corporation and Ireland and to the detriment of small and medium sized businesses (which comprise 99% of the European software industry) and free software.

The European parliament will now be taking the last stand against software patents in a voting for which an absolute majority is needed. Such a majority is hard to come by in a parliament with a low attendance level.

But not all is lost yet as long as you decide it is time to make a difference and take action. This is our last opportunity to fend off software patents worldwide, there will be no second chance for the foreseeable future.

Signing petitions will not suffice. Contact your local EU representatives and educate them why software patents are a bad idea in the first place and why they must attend that parliament session to vote against them. Make it clear that they need to stop the machinations of the EU council and reaffirm the power of the EU parliament, the only democratically elected EU institution. For in-depth information and starting points to get active visit the software patent page of the FFII (Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure) and NoSoftwarePatents.com.

Wish us luck, we will need it."

The ramifications of such outragous EU laws stretch much further than just this 1 product. As you will see many software developers have already stopped furthering their products and many more will follow unless something is done. Take a few minutes to follow the links and to show your support, vent your anger or to tell them how ridiculous their drakonian ways and laws are.

JPaul
06-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Videolan = Great Player

I use it all the time, it would be a shame to see it's development stopped.

Peerzy
06-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Yup, and its because its a great player and has those extra features that its being targeted.

Teh companies are saying you can use VLC to watch pirated movies, well you can also use WMP on your Windows XP operating system, funny how old Bill isn't getting the threatning emails.

GepperRankins
06-21-2005, 12:56 PM
anyone know how to find your representative. do i have one?

lynx
06-21-2005, 02:30 PM
anyone know how to find your representative. do i have one?Best site I could find without too much crap attached.
http://www.ilkley.org/govment/eump.htm

kazaaman
06-22-2005, 10:01 PM
This is not looking good....

orcutt989
07-06-2005, 05:23 PM

This is America son, the majority of the country did not vote for our president. What makes you think we have say in what goes on in the government? This is a Republic, we elect them, and then they could care less about what we have to say.

Guillaume
07-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Erm. The european parliament just rejected the bill. So Videolan is safe.

BTW, anyone knows how long it takes to get your newspost approved by the mods? :dry:

4play
07-06-2005, 05:30 PM

This is America son, the majority of the country did not vote for our president. What makes you think we have say in what goes on in the government? This is a Republic, we elect them, and then they could care less about what we have to say.

the article is about eu law mate, america has already passed insane patent laws thats why people now own the rights to the word "stealth (http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/04/0428246&tid=123&tid=155&tid=133) " and amazon has the patent on the one click shopping basket.

for those who are curious the bill in question was shot down today by a majority of 648 votes to 14. so videolan is safe for a long while.

Filliz
07-06-2005, 05:37 PM

the article is about eu law mate, america has already passed insane patent laws thats why people now own the rights to the word "stealth (http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/04/0428246&tid=123&tid=155&tid=133) " and amazon has the patent on the one click shopping basket.

for those who are curious the bill in question was shot down today by a majority of 648 votes to 14. so videolan is safe for a long while.

Could you provide me with a link for these results?
And I thought they were going to decide on this tomorrow :unsure:

4play
07-06-2005, 05:43 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/06/eu_bins_swpat/

I posted a story about this but the mods seem to be asleep still. :shakes fist

Guillaume
07-06-2005, 06:04 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/06/eu_bins_swpat/

I posted a story about this but the mods seem to be asleep still. :shakes fist

Oh, you too?

They probably can't decide which one to post. :lol:

RealitY